Galaxy S3 Major Root Confusion Update!

Search This thread

nkhaira

Feb 2, 2014
Hello Please if possible be very Noob friendly with your instructions, thanks
Ok I have a rooted Samsung Galaxy S3 AT&T on Firmware 4.3
So I noticed the 4.4.2 Update came out and i really want to update to it but I couldn't OTA because it would say update failed later discovered this is because my S3 is rooted
Now I am in the middle of trying to unroot my galaxy s3 and am very confused i tried doing backup and reset obviously that didnt work i am very confused on how this Odin software works so if you someone could give me very noob specific directions it would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in Advance

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
Just open the SuperSU app and select Full Unroot. Let it do its thing and you're unrooted.
Or follow enewman17's thread for how to update.

mwrobe1

Dec 12, 2012
Chicagoland
Samsung Galaxy S22
I believe unrooting will only be successful if none of the AT&T apps were removed from the device. I forgot about that point and I had to flash the 4.3 stock image in order to successfully install the OTA update to 4.4.2. The OTA will try to patch all that ATT bloat during installation; if its not there it will fail.

nkhaira

Feb 2, 2014
I believe unrooting will only be successful if none of the AT&T apps were removed from the device. I forgot about that point and I had to flash the 4.3 stock image in order to successfully install the OTA update to 4.4.2. The OTA will try to patch all that ATT bloat during installation; if its not there it will fail.

Could you please give me a download link or something to the 4.3 stock image for odin?
Everytime i download one it always some weird files that i do not know how to utilize through odin
So if you could give me a stock 4.3 that would be great thanks

mwrobe1

Dec 12, 2012
Chicagoland
Samsung Galaxy S22
Could you please give me a download link or something to the 4.3 stock image for odin?
Everytime i download one it always some weird files that i do not know how to utilize through odin
So if you could give me a stock 4.3 that would be great thanks

I used this method in post #1 to go back to stock 4.3: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2565972

Contrary to other posts...I only had Auto Reboot checked and that worked for me.

This will also wipe all data from your device...make sure you backup pics/vids/contacts/etc. before you do this.

After you take the OTA update, I can also confirm that TowelRoot will successfully root the ATT GS3 running KitKat. Although the documentation says no reboot is required...I needed a reboot after rooting with towelroot. :D

nkhaira

Feb 2, 2014
I used this method in post #1 to go back to stock 4.3: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2565972

Contrary to other posts...I only had Auto Reboot checked and that worked for me.

This will also wipe all data from your device...make sure you backup pics/vids/contacts/etc. before you do this.

After you take the OTA update, I can also confirm that TowelRoot will successfully root the ATT GS3 running KitKat. Although the documentation says no reboot is required...I needed a reboot after rooting with towelroot. :D

But isnt that for the Sprint Galaxy s3
I have the SGH-i747 AT&T LTE USA Version?

mwrobe1

Dec 12, 2012
Chicagoland
Samsung Galaxy S22
Just to make sure this is the file i put in odin so i can go back to stock 4.3 update (non rooted) and update OTA to 4.4.2 right?

Correct...make sure you put your phone in download mode as well (Hold down Volume Down, Center Home, and Power buttons together for about 10 seconds...When your screen turns off, let go of the Power button but keep holding down Volume Down and Center Home buttons....When you see the warning screen, hit Volume Up button...Connect a microUSB cable from your phone to computer...Run Odin...click on “PDA”, then choose the file you downloaded...click on Start once Odin "loads" the file...wait 10-15 minutes for the flash too occur...after coming back from a reboot you should be on stock 4.3)

nkhaira

Feb 2, 2014
Correct...make sure you put your phone in download mode as well (Hold down Volume Down, Center Home, and Power buttons together for about 10 seconds...When your screen turns off, let go of the Power button but keep holding down Volume Down and Center Home buttons....When you see the warning screen, hit Volume Up button...Connect a microUSB cable from your phone to computer...Run Odin...click on “PDA”, then choose the file you downloaded...click on Start once Odin "loads" the file...wait 10-15 minutes for the flash too occur...after coming back from a reboot you should be on stock 4.3)

Thank you for being responsive and helpful
I have started the file download i have slow internet speed at my house but it should download in 30 minutes and in a hour i will update this thread if it worked thanks!

nkhaira

Feb 2, 2014

<ID:0/004> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> I747UCALEM_I747ATTALEM_I747UCALEM_HOME.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/004> Odin v.3 engine (ID:4)..
<ID:0/004> File analysis..
<ID:0/004> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/004> Initialzation..
<ID:0/004> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/004> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/004> aboot.mbn
<ID:0/004> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/004> FAIL! (Auth)
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

That is the error message i am getting.. when i am trying this

mwrobe1

Dec 12, 2012
Chicagoland
Samsung Galaxy S22
<ID:0/004> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> I747UCALEM_I747ATTALEM_I747UCALEM_HOME.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/004> Odin v.3 engine (ID:4)..
<ID:0/004> File analysis..
<ID:0/004> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/004> Initialzation..
<ID:0/004> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/004> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/004> aboot.mbn
<ID:0/004> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/004> FAIL! (Auth)
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

That is the error message i am getting.. when i am trying this

I'll try to locate the exact MD5 I used and give you a link later today/this week. Sorry for the trouble.

nkhaira

Feb 2, 2014
I'll try to locate the exact MD5 I used and give you a link later today/this week. Sorry for the trouble.

Ok As soon as possible would be appreciated currently this is my only phone and i need to use it and I factory reset it yesterday thinking it would get rid of the root i would like to install all my apps and everything as soon as possible thanks

nkhaira

Feb 2, 2014
Your Odin flash failed because you tried to flash a much older firmware. LEM. You need to flash the 4.3 firmware. You can use this thread. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2722660
Enewman17 has one too I think. Not sure where exactly right now though.

Thanks for your reply So since this in too many different files what do i do to combine them (noob)? i know its something to the extent of extracting them into one folder?
Could you give me instructions on that

nkhaira

Feb 2, 2014
Your Odin flash failed because you tried to flash a much older firmware. LEM. You need to flash the 4.3 firmware. You can use this thread. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2722660
Enewman17 has one too I think. Not sure where exactly right now though.

Ok i got all the files combined now i see a csc a AP file and alot of the file catergories from Odin do i only need the AP file for PDA or do i need to insert each corresponding file into each corresponding category in Odin?

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
I don't have this device so its apparently a little different than I'm used to in this regard. Check post 13 of that thread to see if that helps. Otherwise someone more familiar with that particular process will need to chime in.

Reactions: nkhaira

nkhaira

Feb 2, 2014
I don't have this device so its apparently a little different than I'm used to in this regard. Check post 13 of that thread to see if that helps. Otherwise someone more familiar with that particular process will need to chime in.

Thank You So much!!
Sorry for late reply but the download you sent me worked and after 10 minutes i was on stock 4.3 upgraded to 4.4.2 without any problems!!!
THANKS!!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.