OWL Car Pad (Qi Car Charger)

Search This thread

ukrainetrain

Mar 30, 2010
Got mine a week ago...

I originally ordered the Carpad about a month ago(the one for the Nexus 4) hoping it work with my DNA. However as we all later found out the coil position was a little low. I contacted Moon at Owl and he took care of everything! He let me know that he'd send me the Carpad N2 as soon as it was ready. Overall I'm very happy with the product and the service.

As far as what I think of the Carpad N2...I think it's awesome! With the DNA docked and screen turned off I average 7-9% of charge every 30 minutes. If I'm streaming music through bluetooth in the car it gains about 2-3% in 30 minutes. The mount is built well and the DNA fits perfectly in it. Maybe I'm biased but I prefer Korean quality over Chinese.

To be fair you probably could get the same or slightly better performance from a regular plug in charger but to me the convenience of Qi charging makes it completely worth it. One of the main reasons I got the DNA was because of the Qi charging. I'm not a big fan of MicroUSB plugs, especially ones that have a flap cover like the one on the DNA.

---------- Post added at 10:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 AM ----------

I originally ordered the Carpad about a month ago(the one for the Nexus 4) hoping it work with my DNA. However as we all later found out the coil position was a little low. I contacted Moon at Owl and he took care of everything! He let me know that he'd send me the Carpad N2 as soon as it was ready. Overall I'm very happy with the product and the service.

As far as what I think of the Carpad N2...I think it's awesome! With the DNA docked and screen turned off I average 7-9% of charge every 30 minutes. If I'm streaming music through bluetooth in the car it gains about 2-3% in 30 minutes. The mount is built well and the DNA fits perfectly in it. Maybe I'm biased but I prefer Korean quality over Chinese.

To be fair you probably could get the same or slightly better performance from a regular plug in charger but to me the convenience of Qi charging makes it completely worth it. One of the main reasons I got the DNA was because of the Qi charging. I'm not a big fan of MicroUSB plugs, especially ones that have a flap cover like the one on the DNA.

Also...my Carpad shuts off if the phone is 95%+ charged as well. It's a built in feature of the dock to turn off once the phone is fully charged. Obviously 95% is not 100% but so far this is the only flaw I've found with this product.

badogg

Mar 11, 2011

---------- Post added at 10:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 AM ----------

Also...my Carpad shuts off if the phone is 95%+ charged as well. It's a built in feature of the dock to turn off once the phone is fully charged. Obviously 95% is not 100% but so far this is the only flaw I've found with this product.

That isn't a flaw, that is to protect your battery. I wouldn't be surprised if it was actually the phone disconnecting the qi link to protect the battery.

preilly44

Dec 29, 2011
Maybe mine is defective but I've tested it and it actually discharges faster when it is on the car dock (latest version) than when it is. I have it sitting in my glove box just sitting there because it doesn't work.

yearn2burn

Apr 3, 2011
Atlanta
What cord will this be killing?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

I assume he means the one you attach to the phone when you charge it? Alright, I understand your point to an extent. But it does replace a loose wire you have to find and connect each time with a permanent connection that can be neatly concealed. Plus, IF it works well, it's just cool.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

beaups

Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 28, 2007
Dublin, OH
I assume he means the one you attach to the phone when you charge it? Alright, I understand your point to an extent. But it does replace a loose wire you have to find and connect each time with a permanent connection that can be neatly concealed. Plus, IF it works well, it's just cool.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Hmm. Solar to qi would be cool. Its a windshield mount after all.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

UltraMagnus0001

Aug 11, 2012
I like the way my droid3 mounted in the car. The plug just slid right into the mini usb on the dock, that's it. The mini usb had an audio output at the power connector end that all went through one wire, no crappy bluetooth audio.The lighter plug was 1amp, no slow charging. If you're on a long trip with a low amperage charger, using gps, screen is all the way up, playing music and have hotspot on, you can actually drain the battery while charging! Why don't we have proper dock with an aux audio out through the usb for our DNA? I'm tempted to make one with the desk dock.

rolltidewall

Oct 29, 2012
Toledo
Just got mine in the mail. I think it's defective, or I received the wrong one. Is this similar to anyone else's experience? Using the AC home plug, with no phone plugged in, the LED is green. As soon as I dock my phone, it starts blinking red. The phone does not say it is charging at this point.

Does anybody else have this happen? Just wanted to know before I contacted Owl.

bmyton

Aug 4, 2011
Using the AC home plug, with no phone plugged in, the LED is green. As soon as I dock my phone, it starts blinking red. The phone does not say it is charging at this point.

Using the Nexus4 version of the charger on the DNA will give you this type of error. It sounds like you received the wrong item, let Owl know and I'm sure he'll fix the problem for you.

Why don't we have proper dock with an aux audio out through the usb for our DNA?

I suppose each person has different expectations, but personally I hate the non-isolated static I get when using a car charger and a hard connection to the stereo. Bluetooth corrects this for me, although the USB audio signal may not have the isolation problem. I know there are line filters that could fix this as well.

Also, I know I would not want to continually have to flip open and closed the USB cover door on my phone. I like that it is there to keep me from building up a layer of pocket grime, and wouldn't want to just cut it off.

If you don't mind dealing with the USB cord then you could go with any number of options:

http://www.amazon.com/xProDock-Acti...=UTF8&qid=1370019019&sr=8-7&keywords=car+dock

-Ben

bigjew92

Jul 15, 2010
Just got mine in the mail. I think it's defective, or I received the wrong one. Is this similar to anyone else's experience? Using the AC home plug, with no phone plugged in, the LED is green. As soon as I dock my phone, it starts blinking red. The phone does not say it is charging at this point.

Does anybody else have this happen? Just wanted to know before I contacted Owl.

how long after you placed your order did it arrive? i'm anxiously waiting for mine. :)

bmyton

Aug 4, 2011
Hmm. Solar to qi would be cool. Its a windshield mount after all.

I've spent some time thinking about wiring up a solar option for this car dock, and would probably pick up http://www.amazon.com/Sunforce-22007-Coleman-Folding-Panel/dp/B007JU9K32/ref=cm_cmu_pg_t if I do.

The problem I see is that you are compounding the inefficiencies of the Qi interface with the inefficiencies of solar.

If you do give it a shot you should let us know, I would love to hear if it works.

-Ben

UltraMagnus0001

Aug 11, 2012
I suppose each person has different expectations, but personally I hate the non-isolated static I get when using a car charger and a hard connection to the stereo. Bluetooth corrects this for me, although the USB audio signal may not have the isolation problem. I know there are line filters that could fix this as well.

Also, I know I would not want to continually have to flip open and closed the USB cover door on my phone. I like that it is there to keep me from building up a layer of pocket grime, and wouldn't want to just cut it off.

I already contacted iBolt about that charger, it's not compatible with the DNA. No one makes an AUX out dock for the DNA. The wiring in my 01 GTi has no ground loop noises or ignition noises leaking into the audio, so that's not a problem for me. I use an adapter that turns my CD Changer to an AUX in for the stereo. I can't stand the audio of bluetooth, it sounds like 128 bitrate mp3s. One of the reason I chose the DNA was the high current output from the built in headphone amplifier, so i guess I'll put it to good use as an AUX out. Combine the DNA with Jetaudio player, Velodynes in ear headphones and you're in audio heaven. I just ripped my micro USB cover off mine and never had a problem with my previous phones not having USB covers, even though I never use cases and just shove it in my pocket.

Last edited:

rolltidewall

Oct 29, 2012
Toledo
After a few e-mails, Moon is sending a new CarPad. I will say, I do like the actual phone cradle better than than my Arkon. It's one hand in and out, quick and easy.

One improvement I would recommend is that it would be powered by Micro USB instead of a seperate plug. I understand though, the voltage is completely different.

Last edited:

rolltidewall

Oct 29, 2012
Toledo
Just got my replacement OwlPad.. It charges, but is seemingly having issues connecting. If I unplug the DC power and plug it in, in connects. So far it's an everytime thing. Any thoughts? I'm weary to contact Moon again. I'm getting the same results on 2 DNAs.

UPDATE:

In my vehicle, have two DC plugs, one that is hooked up to ignition, the other to battery (always on). If it is on the battery powered port, then it works everytime, no problems.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys,

I went out on a limb and bought the OWL car charger+dock for my DNA.

There is a bunch of discussion on the item here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2029734 along with plenty of pictures.

I wanted to let you guys know some specifics for the DNA:

1. The phone fits perfectly into the clip. I don't have any cases, so I can't test that, but naked the phone fits like a glove and is very secure, even upside down.

2. Even the "second generation" of charger still does not put out enough juice for the DNA, even with the phone at idle.

I have emailed Moon and will update this thread when I hear back from him. I am thinking the problem might have something to do with the controller inside the charger. It switches to red (charging) momentarily when the phone is inserted, but then switches back to green (full).
    I have emailed Moon and will update this thread when I hear back from him.

Update 1: Moon has emailed back already to assure me that if the charger doesn't work, he will do what it takes to make it right.

I am hoping we can figure out a way to make the phone work in the charger, since I love the design and the convenience of Qi...
    Update 3:

Good news tonight. First, I've done a temperature test using the phone at room temperature. With navigation, LTE, and the screen constantly on the CarPad provides moderage charge (+200mAh) and does not cause excessively high heat (under 45°C). This is comparable with the 43°C I saw with the Nokia Qi charger while watching a Netflix Stream.

With the screen off the temperature is also pretty normal (35°C) so I think the coil is good.

Moon at Owl Chargers tells me that he may add a little to the coil to make it more consistent on the charging, and he is going to create a new PCB that has the coil positioned 1/2" higher so that it will line up properly with the DNA.

It sounds like this change could happen pretty quickly, but I will let you know when I have the test board in hand.

Thanks guys,

Ben
    I think it might register full charge at that point and shut off the carpad..

Mine tends to shut off once the phone reads 95-97%, and then cuts back on once it drops to 90% or so.

Can someone stream music from Google Play over 4G and run GPS on their way to work with this?

Today at lunch I took a 35 minute drive around town. I Ran:

4gLTE
    WiFi on but just searching
    Navigation with a random destination so it recalculated at most intersections
    Google Music (high quality)
    BlueTooth connected to Ford but Audio playing through phone's speaker
    Screen locked on with brightness at ~70%.
    Car clipped in direct sunlight in the windshield

Starting Battery 54%
    Ending Battery 57%
    Phone estimated peak charging of 12% per hour
    Peak temperature 50°C

I'm still happy with the car pad myself, hope this helps you guys make your decisions.

Screenshots from the test:
    https://www.box.com/shared/vptgsy61qshkp2p8qmwj
    about 2 weeks. Once I got the email saying he shipped it, it took a week to ship. Not too bad.