[Q] Clarifying questions..

Search This thread

t3tr1s_

Oct 8, 2013
I'm thinking of upgrading from my GS3, non lte, to the Note 3. As I've looked around the forms here, it would seem as though Knox is an added security measure so t-mobile can more easily detect root?

Is there a way to have root without tripping this counter? Is there a way to flash a custom Rom or kernel without tripping it?

If this has been answered apologize, I did look around before making new thread.

Thanks!

Also on a side note, white or black note 3? :cowboy:

Eric214

Oct 24, 2012
Philly
I'm thinking of upgrading from my GS3, non lte, to the Note 3. As I've looked around the forms here, it would seem as though Knox is an added security measure so t-mobile can more easily detect root?

Is there a way to have root without tripping this counter? Is there a way to flash a custom Rom or kernel without tripping it?

If this has been answered apologize, I did look around before making new thread.

Thanks!

Also on a side note, white or black note 3? :cowboy:

Knox isn't really for T-mobile to detect root/custom firmware but for Samsung warranty. A fair amount of people on here have stated that they still sent their phones in to Sammy for warranty and they still got their phones fixed. T-mobile really only look for cracked screens, water damage and that the phone powers on and boots up. Not to say you'll never have an issue but i would say it's not really that big of a deal to trip the Knox counter. Especially if you bought the insurance like Asurion. I don't think they even care if your rooted and ROM'd

t3tr1s_

Oct 8, 2013
Awesome. My concern here is that I would be disqualified from the jump program... I'd like to get the Note 4 as soon as it comes out.. Is there currently any way to root and flash a room without tripping Knox? Or can we only root without tripping Knox?

Jfree3000

Jul 20, 2010
Metro Atlanta
Before this gets locked, yes you can root without tripping knox. As mentioned knox is for samsung to deny repairs if they see fit (if the phone is sent to them). Tmobile could care less if the phone is rooted or not. You just have to be careful about warranty repairs for samsung, thats what they may or may not look at.

Eric214

Oct 24, 2012
Philly
Awesome. My concern here is that I would be disqualified from the jump program... I'd like to get the Note 4 as soon as it comes out.. Is there currently any way to root and flash a room without tripping Knox? Or can we only root without tripping Knox?

On the old 4.3 firmware yes you can root with Root De La Vega and not trip the Knox counter but once you put ANY custom recovery it will trip the counter. Now on the OTA 4.4.2 that was released on Wednesday, the only 2 current ways to root (TWRP or Philz CWM) will trip the Knox counter no matter what. So until something comes out like an updated ROOT De La Vega, there's no way to even root without tripping the Knox counter.

Also from what i read, RDLV isn't being developed anymore so unless they decide to do something with it for the all the 4.4.2 releases hitting phones these days there may not be anything for a bit to root without tripping knox.

chipworkz

Dec 28, 2011
Before this gets locked, yes you can root without tripping knox. As mentioned knox is for samsung to deny repairs if they see fit (if the phone is sent to them). Tmobile could care less if the phone is rooted or not. You just have to be careful about warranty repairs for samsung, thats what they may or may not look at.

That is true for 4.3 but so far you can't on 4.4 from everything I have seen. Do you now of a way to not trip knox on 4.4?

Eric214

Oct 24, 2012
Philly

Did I miss something? Is there a way to Root 4.4.2 without tripping Knox? I don't care I've tripped Knox the first night i had my N3 but I didn't think there was a way. Kningo and RDLV i thought borked the phones and caused bootloops.

t3tr1s_

Oct 8, 2013
My t-mobile store says that if you root your phone then it voids your warranty, so obviously they won't allow me to upgrade... So I know they check for it.. How is it you guys have stores where they don't seem to care?