Gear 2 announced.. Thoughts??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Johny Jackson

Nov 27, 2013

Samsung says "Increased connectivity, customization, and control" on their facebook site(samsungmobile)
I think it's better than original version.

chuko303

Dec 24, 2011
colorado
Its running tizen os. only apps will be from samsung store you cant even side load android apps if im mistakes then shoot I might get it myself. Does look nice better be less than 250

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

calinormy

Jul 18, 2008
Ip67, changable bracelet, hrm. I also read that will have dedicated mp3 player with output over Bluetooth so that's mean that will have a simple acces to internal memory to copy files from/to the warch. Maybe tiezen will be the challenge here and the compatibility with older devices. If original gear was announced with at least 1 day of battery and we get often 2 or 3 days maybe gear 2 will last at least 3 days on a charge. This will be good.

Sent from my C6833 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

CLARiiON

Apr 10, 2013
+ 2-3x better batterylife (with a lower capacity battery). What's going on here?? Tizen being efficient than android, or something else?
+ Can work as a standalone music player
+ Better fitness options like Heart Rate sensor.
+ More powerful SOC.
+ IrLED (WatchON)
+ Gear 2 Neo is much lighter compared to gear. Also no camera in Neo (good for those who don't want to spend on cam)
+ Same old screen, I keep this as positive because I had a feeling they would switch to those Mirasol or other 'bad' displays just to conserve battery.
+ Much better cam position.
+ IP67

aznmode

Jun 23, 2007
I think it's an improvement overall. If they've increased video recording time then I don't care if it's tizen. It's really the only reason I use custom rom. I have a feeling I'm going to upgrade just for the water resistant and being able to change bands. From the pictures it looks like any watch straps can be used. I still can't tell if the speaker is on the strap. I'm hoping not.

Last edited:

system.img

Feb 14, 2012
Chennai
Samsung Galaxy S22 Plus
I think it's an improvement overall. If they've increased video recording time then I don't care if it's tizen. It's really the only reason I use custom rom. I have a feeling I'm going to upgrade just for the water proof and being able to change bands. From the pictures it looks like any watch straps can be used. I still can't tell if the speaker is on the strap. I'm hoping not.

I read somewhere that it has interchangable straps.

Also, there's no speaker on the strap.

Here are some press images for everyone: http://www.engadget.com/gallery/samsung-gear-2-and-gear-2-neo-press-images/2442684/#!slide=2442684

aznmode

Jun 23, 2007
It is water resistant, not water proof.

Sent from Note 3 (The beauty & beast)

You're right. That was a typo

---------- Post added at 02:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:33 AM ----------

I read somewhere that it has interchangable straps.

Also, there's no speaker on the strap.

Here are some press images for everyone: http://www.engadget.com/gallery/samsung-gear-2-and-gear-2-neo-press-images/2442684/#!slide=2442684

I was looking at similar pics and I didn't see it but I can't tell where on the watch the speaker is.

aznmode

Jun 23, 2007

system.img

Feb 14, 2012
Chennai
Samsung Galaxy S22 Plus
You're right. That was a typo

---------- Post added at 02:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:33 AM ----------

I was looking at similar pics and I didn't see it but I can't tell where on the watch the speaker is.

I know it is a bit tough to see, but I think that this is the speaker

Untitled.jpg

Reactions: aznmode

calinormy

Jul 18, 2008
Ip67 means... No ingress of dust; complete protection against contact (dust tight) plus Ingress of water in harmful quantity shall not be possible when the enclosure is immersed in water under defined conditions of pressure and time (up to 1 m of submersion. So we can make a bath with gear 2.......

Sent from my C6833 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

fletch33

Jan 9, 2010
i guess better battery life than Stock would be a jump and the increased to 1GHz dual core means they probably arent changing it at all just turning it up which we can already do ourselves.

right now i get an easy 3 days on null and can run at 1.6GHz dual core ikf needed so battery and processor dont impress me on Gear 2.

with the standalone MP3 player and heart rate monitor i would ASSUME that i can now run without my phone and the Gear will connect to my BT headphones directly? this would be worth upgrading for.

if there truly is no Android option then i will not be an early adopter on this update though since i have seen what Sammy has in their store and i dont care for any of them and need my APK's to get it done right!

Reactions: ronfurro and leojab

sohebq

Aug 20, 2011
RAWALPINDI
Won,t it look weird to take photos with front facing camera. I mean you have to turn your hand to take photo or there is another camera too like in GG1?

Sent from Note 3 (The beauty & beast)

Reactions: hackfree
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ha, we come out the same mold..:cowboy:

Having big fun with my 5 month old Gear, and I am too old(74) to play any waiting game. Also, I got my Gear on sale for the $209..Looking to sell mine on Ebay for anything north of $140..Still got the original box, and the watch is spotless.. Going for the black one with the camera on day 1.. :cool:

BTW, I was thinking about passing my Gear down to my wife, she has a S4, but lately she has been a b----, I am selling the mother!! :cool:

Your a champion, this post is golden.

BRING ON GEAR 2! Customizable watch bands, IR blaster, a new OS to tear apart and tinker with, water proof.. sounds good to me, sign me up.
    My thoughts are here: http://www.notjusthitech.com/2014/02/the-gear-twins-are-official.html
    The speaker is on the watch itself. If you look at the orange one you cannot miss it.
    I'm going to keep my gear 1 for the foreseeable future, when I first got it I couldn't wait to root it and flash the null tom., but as time went on I zoned in on what I need from a smart watch and as Unpopular as it may be I think Samsung did a good job for a gen 1 product. It does what I need, it keeps me phone in my pocket until I actually need to use it, I no longer feel the urge to have the phone in the same room as me all the time. Yes it could have been better but to all those tech sites that Lord the pebble and slate the gear i say WTF!

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
    i guess better battery life than Stock would be a jump and the increased to 1GHz dual core means they probably arent changing it at all just turning it up which we can already do ourselves.

right now i get an easy 3 days on null and can run at 1.6GHz dual core ikf needed so battery and processor dont impress me on Gear 2.

with the standalone MP3 player and heart rate monitor i would ASSUME that i can now run without my phone and the Gear will connect to my BT headphones directly? this would be worth upgrading for.

if there truly is no Android option then i will not be an early adopter on this update though since i have seen what Sammy has in their store and i dont care for any of them and need my APK's to get it done right!
    It is interesting how people reacted to the Gear 1. The ability to integrate the wires for a speaker and camera into a watch strap is rather inspired and a bit of a technical feat. Putting the speaker into the buckle is likely to have allowed for a larger speaker and therefore the speaker on the Gear 2 may not be as good. Also, the camera will be nearer other electronics which means the image may be more influenced by noise/interference from the other parts of the watch.

I also agree with the poster above who said the new watches remind him of the watches in the 80s that had calculators and TV remotes built into them.

Ultimately I understand the reasons people didn't like the design of the Gear 1, but the changes are not really an improvement, but more of a simplification and ultimately should result in a price drop with the new design.

The reason I think the Gear 2 has come out so quickly is because Samsung could not correct the wrongs they did by releasing the product before it was ready. Now you can get up to 4 days with the Gear 1 and normal usage...you can get notifies for any application including a decent preview of the content of a message or email etc. But those changes were after all the reviews were out there and Samsung needed to release a Gear 2 just to get a clean slate to start again from.

I don't feel in any rush to sell my Gear 1 for a Gear 2.....it does what I need. I didn't think the microphone and speaker would be much use until I started to use it. I left my phone in my bedroom, had my watch on and was downstairs in the kitchen. I was able to answer the phone and have a quick conversation easily using the watch. I then sent a text to my wife by voice dictation in seconds once again without touching the phone. I think the Gear 1 has been misunderstood and sorely under-rated