[APP] TorchButton v2.3, using camera LED as flashlight [UPDATED Dec 8]

Search This thread

lucid

Dec 8, 2005
Amsterdam
www.reperion.com
How about morse ?

Is there any code available (sourceforge I will check) that we can merge into
Torchbutton so it would send more morse than just S.O.S. ?

I'd like to have the option to input text, and have the device flash it in MorseCode.

Always asking for more :)

NetRipper

Feb 27, 2006
's-Gravendeel
www.netripper.nl
Is there any code available (sourceforge I will check) that we can merge into
Torchbutton so it would send more morse than just S.O.S. ?

I'd like to have the option to input text, and have the device flash it in MorseCode.

Always asking for more :)
This is already possible (without the input box). You can change the appropriate registry setting (see readme attached to first post) and change the text that it should send in morse. By default it's set to the string "sos" but you can change it to whatever you want.

Is this good enough for you? Keep in mind that the whole idea is to not have a user interface pop up each time you start one of the Torch apps. Maybe I'll make a seperate app to configure those registry settings. :)

NetRipper

Feb 27, 2006
's-Gravendeel
www.netripper.nl
Here's one icon I threw together for your app. Use it if you like it, discard if you don't.
What! You don't like my icons!? ;) Just kidding. This looks quite a bit better. However I'd feel like replacing all icons then. So I'd need three more: bright (maybe quite a bit more flare?), blink, sos. You fancy making those too? Else I might abuse your icon and try and make those myself. :D

Oh, oh, and one for the configuration app, when it comes! ;)

Sorry for the late response.

NetRipper

Feb 27, 2006
's-Gravendeel
www.netripper.nl
Cool, good news! :)

What did you thing about a high brightness blink mode? :eek: :D
I'm not sure about that. The bright mode works in a special way, so making it blink on the correct intervals won't be perfect. I'll implement something for this for next release. Then you can see if it fits your needs. I'll add a registry setting like UseBrightModeForBlinking which you can set to 1 for this.

tnyynt

Retired Senior Moderator
Jun 18, 2007
What! You don't like my icons!? ;) Just kidding. This looks quite a bit better. However I'd feel like replacing all icons then. So I'd need three more: bright (maybe quite a bit more flare?), blink, sos. You fancy making those too? Else I might abuse your icon and try and make those myself. :D

Oh, oh, and one for the configuration app, when it comes! ;)

Sorry for the late response.

Here you go! Bring on the critics! :D

EDIT: Added a Folder icon too!

Attachments

• Icons.zip
    133.7 KB · Views: 87
  • Sheet.jpg
    Sheet.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 92
  • Folder.png
    Folder.png
    11.2 KB · Views: 1,401
Last edited:

frmariam

Oct 21, 2008
This is a really cool app! Very useful to add a flashlight button to my HS++ skin.

It would be pretty cool if you could add native support for the Samsung phones flash led (even though wtih the HTCCamera1.dll it works in Samsung phones). I don't know what dll do Samsung phones like my Omnia use (Samsung actually provides APIs but I'm not a coder so...). Is there a unified/universal flash led API you could use (like the one that was developed for the G-Sensor)?.

Anyway I'd like to ask if you could add command line support (so we could create shortcuts with commands... like VJCandela). We could have -toggle, -on (and maybe define for how long it is on), -off, -blink (maybe we could also define the interval or pattern), -morse (we could define the test). I reccon that with this implemented it would be more flexible than it is relying on reg keys and we would only need a single exe.

Thank you for this great app :)

Last edited:

NetRipper

Feb 27, 2006
's-Gravendeel
www.netripper.nl
Here you go! Bring on the critics! :D

EDIT: Added a Folder icon too!

Looking good! Thanks!

This is a really cool app! Very useful to add a flashlight button to my HS++ skin.

It would be pretty cool if you could add native support for the Samsung phones flash led (even though wtih the HTCCamera1.dll it works in Samsung phones). I don't know what dll do Samsung phones like my Omnia use (Samsung actually provides APIs but I'm not a coder so...). Is there a unified/universal flash led API you could use (like the one that was developed for the G-Sensor)?.

Anyway I'd like to ask if you could add command line support (so we could create shortcuts with commands... like VJCandela). We could have -toggle, -on (and maybe define for how long it is on), -off, -blink (maybe we could also define the interval or pattern), -morse (we could define the test). I reccon that with this implemented it would be more flexible than it is relying on reg keys and we would only need a single exe.

Thank you for this great app :)

I can add native support for the Omnia. At least, the one found here. I'm not sure if it'd work for other samsung phones as well.

To my knowledge there is no generic LED API or library.

And regarding the parameter switches. This is actually already supported. The TorchButton.exe has all the functionality. The TorchButtonBright.exe just calls TorchButton.exe with the /bright switch. Currently only /bright /sos /ptt /blink are supported. No parameters = normal mode. Starting TorchButton a second time (while LED is still on), disables it. I made it to have multiple .exe's so that it'd be more compatible with launcher applications that don't show the correct icon with .lnk files (they show the icon of the exe linked to).

Jim328

Apr 11, 2008
I'm not sure about that. The bright mode works in a special way, so making it blink on the correct intervals won't be perfect. I'll implement something for this for next release. Then you can see if it fits your needs. I'll add a registry setting like UseBrightModeForBlinking which you can set to 1 for this.

Yeah, I noticed that with a quick double tap on bright mode, it gets "stuck" on for half a second or so unlike normal mode. I set my blink mode to 15ms on 85ms off, it makes a pretty good strobe light, just wish it was full power. :D

Are these 2x 3w leds in our hd2's? When I use my bright mode, the usual response is "****!" lol.

Good luck, maybe you can override the bright mode after its been triggered? I wish I could code.. :eek:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Continuing my quest of using the LED as flashlight for my new HD2, I updated TorchButton to support the HD2 as well.

Dropped your keys? Finding something behind the bench? Performing surgery on a computer and need to find that jumper on the mainboard?

This is a simple application built for some HTC devices that have a hardware LED, normally used to take pictures in the dark. However I found the LED to be perfect to be used as a handy pocket flashlight.

Usage
    There is no GUI for this application. Just start TorchButton to enable the LED on the back of your device. Start TorchButton again to turn it off.

Check out the readme if you're an advanced user and wish to change some registry settings, i.e. to allow a longer maximum time the LED is enabled.

Known issues
    - [Fixed] New icons are not working when TorchButton is installed to Storage Card

Todo
    - Create an app to configure the registry settings
    - See if support for Omnia Pro (B7610) is feasible (someone should send me the related dlls...)
    - [Done] Add a seperate timeout for bright mode
    - [Done] Add blink mode with bright led
    - [Done] Use new icons provided by tnyynt
    - [Done] Add support for Omnia (the one found here)
    - [Impossible] See if it's possible to control leds seperately ('economic mode') Sorry, this is not possible. (Tech-talk: setting a single GPIO enables both LEDs. There doesn't seem to be a GPIO for each LED seperately.)

Wishful thinking
    - Camera app to interpret the morse

History
    Version 2.3
    - Fix icons not showing in HTC Sense or WM 6.5 start menu when installed to Storage Card.

Version 2.2
    - New icons for all TorchButton apps (thanks tnyynt!). These only work in WM6.5 and up. Older OS's will still see the old icons.
    - Added registry setting to use bright setting in blink mode (see BlinkUsesBrightMode).
    - Bright mode now has a seperate timeout, configurable in registry (see BrightModeTimeout).
    - Added support for Samsung Omnia i9x0 devices (hopefully they all work). Thanks to raph/zemrwhite2/PaSSoA. Thanks to Chainfire for testing on his Omnia i900L.
    - [edit] Shortcut names have changed. I found them nicer this way, no two-line icons. And the text is now also not cut-off when added as shortcut in the home screen.
    - [edit] Improved handling of bright mode. It should stop immediately now when pressed again, instead of waiting for a 500ms interval. This makes BlinkUsesBrightMode possible combined with low intervals for blink mode.
    - [edit] Soft-reset your phone after upgrading from an older version! Else the new icons will not show.

Version 2.1
    - Bright mode is now support on the HTC HD2 (Leo).
    - Added a one-time warning message when bright mode is used for the first time.

Version 2.0
    - Initial version with support for the HTC HD2 (Leo) (bright mode is not supported on the Leo)

Version 1.x
    - Support for the Touch Pro
    tnx :) great app
    Is there a step-by-step guide on installing this app for noobs?

I've downloaded the app to my PC, but I have absolutely no idea where to go from here... :confused:
    Place the .cab file on your windows mobile device, start the 'explorer' or whatever to view files on the device and tap/double tap the .cab file. Installation will start. The cab files are like the setup.exe files for windows.
    Source code is here: https://github.com/netripper/TorchButton

It's in C++ but if you're familiar with marshalling in C# you should be able to make a .net version.