To root or not LG E980

Search This thread

Deweywiii

Feb 7, 2014
Georgetown
OK so I have been reading a lot on the reasons to root or not to root. My only delima which is holding me back. Once I root should I install custom ROM to the phone? If so I need a little information on how to by pass the bootloader since they have not unlocked it I know freegee is out there but is it the best choice. If you guys have any ideas on this let me know.

Also what apps should I use once rooted to push this phablet to the max.

Sent from my LG-E980 using xda app-developers app

mpsantiago

OK so I have been reading a lot on the reasons to root or not to root. My only delima which is holding me back. Once I root should I install custom ROM to the phone? If so I need a little information on how to by pass the bootloader since they have not unlocked it I know freegee is out there but is it the best choice. If you guys have any ideas on this let me know.

Also what apps should I use once rooted to push this phablet to the max.

When in doubt, always root! :)

I for one strongly prefer plain AOSP styled ROMs. I don't really care for the skins that LG, Samsung, HTC put on their devices... So I always root and install the latest stable CM or a CM based ROM.

I just bought my E980 and immediately rooted it and installed cm11 on it before I started using it, and I'm loving it. I used the unbrick/revert to stock procedure since my phone had the latest firmware 10p. Now I hear that 10p is rootable, but I'm not sure if the bootloader is unlocked.

If you just root it and keep the stock ROM, I'd get Xposed Framework + Gravitybox to add a lot of the features of custom ROMs; also get Greenify, AdAway (not in the market, you'll need to download the apk from F-Droid), and Titanium Backup.

Deweywiii

Feb 7, 2014
Georgetown
Thanks bro.

Current phone: LG E980

Other phones: IPhone 3gs, Droid max, HTC one, Samsung

All things can be changed, just have to find a way.

esimon311

Mar 10, 2013
V-Town
Root it..it's a must if you wanna get the most out if your device.

Freegee to install lokified CWM..

Personaly I prefer the stock based Rom.
Most of the time I run the stock AT$T Rom de-bloated with titanium backup.

Remove carrier IQ with the" logging test app". Not a must but I don't like at&t spying on me so I remove that carp..

And I use xposed framework with the gravity box module. It has everything I want in a module.

If CM is your flavor there are several really great builds in XDA.

If you prefer a stock flavor there is a great G2~V5 Rom here. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2462453

As far as performance I have experimented with
Faux kernel controller & TricksterMod
Both from the play store.

Reactions: Logic717

Deweywiii

Feb 7, 2014
Georgetown
So do you have a bootloader unlocked on yours or did you bypass with the Loki, freegee

Reactions: g0at1
G

GuestK00434

Root + MadMac's lokified TWRP

I think rooting the OGP is a must, just to remove apps that are problematic and add some xposed modules for security (xprivacy). . . but then again I'm anal that way — hate having a bunch of unused apps hiding on my system and no control over app permissions. Not to mention being able to make full img backups.

Once you root the device, you will need FreeGee installed. Then use FreeGee to install CWM and backup your EFS.

At that point, boot into recovery from FreeGee — very important not to boot into recovery from the device being off as I, and many others, have ended up in recovery boot loops with CWM doing that.

Once in CWM from FreeGee, install madmac's lokified twrp. [here]

madmac's lokified twrp has no problems getting out of recovery from a cold hard boot into recovery.

ROMS
I'm sticking with stock at this point due to google killing text reflow/wrapping in 4.4, and the fact that stock has incredible battery life especially in standby doesn't hurt at all.

However, if you want to jump to 4.4 I recommend BeanStalk ROM for this device. Overall it performed the best for me on my E980. Great ROM and I would have stayed on it if it were not for text reflow not working in my browser of choice — actually don't think any had it other than Opera and it lacks in other areas, thus not worth it for me since 4.4 via LG is coming.

Now, if you are the sort that does stay with stock and doesn't need long term root, it's easy to unroot the device right inside SuperSU. However, I found that I needed to unroot the device twice to remove the two recovery apps I installed — CWM & TWRP — thus I unrooted, then rerooted, and unrooted a second time. I did that as an experiment to see what recovery was left after unrooting, and only the last recovery was removed with unroot.

g0at1

Sep 24, 2013
Thanks a lot @Charles7. Very clarifying instructions. However, there's something I've seen people talking which is the inability to restore ES when needed. Should the EFS be backed up through Freegee or CWM/TWRP bundle? Or Should it be thru madmac's? Just would like to know the right way in case I need.

Sent from my LG-E989 using xda premium

deadenz

Sep 20, 2008
Hartly, DE
hey guys.. when I had my lg optimus l9 I had rom toolbox pro.. it doesn't seem to work correctly when I use a 4.4 rom on this phone.. what other options do I have? is the xposed framework and modules pretty much taking the place of apps like rom toolbox? is xposed my best bet if I decide to stay stock but still want to change things? I did use xposed on my S4 for a few days but ended up trading it for the OGpro. I wouldn't mind using a stock rom with this phone if I could still change dpi and all that.. I have been using beanstalk which was really nice but I had to get a new one through insurance so it came with the 10p update and stuck on stock at the moment.. are there really any major differences with 10p and 10k? I'm not too eager to use that chinese program to root my 10p.. what do you guys think?

Reactions: g0at1
G

GuestK00434

hey guys.. when I had my lg optimus l9 I had rom toolbox pro.. it doesn't seem to work correctly when I use a 4.4 rom on this phone.. what other options do I have? is the xposed framework and modules pretty much taking the place of apps like rom toolbox? is xposed my best bet if I decide to stay stock but still want to change things? I did use xposed on my S4 for a few days but ended up trading it for the OGpro. I wouldn't mind using a stock rom with this phone if I could still change dpi and all that.. I have been using beanstalk which was really nice but I had to get a new one through insurance so it came with the 10p update and stuck on stock at the moment.. are there really any major differences with 10p and 10k? I'm not too eager to use that chinese program to root my 10p.. what do you guys think?

Xposed is working good for me. Not as much for the OGP as other devices. I think you will find enough for what you want, though.
Don't know about 10p.

---------- Post added at 08:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 AM ----------

Thanks a lot @Charles7. Very clarifying instructions. However, there's something I've seen people talking which is the inability to restore ES when needed. Should the EFS be backed up through Freegee or CWM/TWRP bundle? Or Should it be thru madmac's? Just would like to know the right way in case I need.

FreeGee has an option to backup you EFS from within the app. Of course you can back it up in every way you would like. However, you will want to copy the freegee folder (or whatever backups you do) with that backup in it to your external SD or computer so it doesn't get wiped. The reality is, you most likely won't ever need that backup. It's a worse case scenario.

Just be careful when formatting partitions on the OGP. Only format system, cache, and data/media partitions, and doe the regular wipes and you'll be fine.

g0at1

Sep 24, 2013
Thanks once more @Charles7. We definitely need more devs. But we also need information more clearly. I see lots of people afraid of rooting or not flashing or not. And I think your contributions here are really valuable.

deadenz

Sep 20, 2008
Hartly, DE
probably a real noob question but I'm not real familiar with lg devices, what is efs exactly? does it effect gps in anyway? and can you restore efs on any rom?

Xposed is working good for me. Not as much for the OGP as other devices. I think you will find enough for what you want, though.
Don't know about 10p.

---------- Post added at 08:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 AM ----------

FreeGee has an option to backup you EFS from within the app. Of course you can back it up in every way you would like. However, you will want to copy the freegee folder (or whatever backups you do) with that backup in it to your external SD or computer so it doesn't get wiped. The reality is, you most likely won't ever need that backup. It's a worse case scenario.

Just be careful when formatting partitions on the OGP. Only format system, cache, and data/media partitions, and doe the regular wipes and you'll be fine.

g0at1

Sep 24, 2013
That was real helpful.. thanks

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

Don't understand why people do this. Seriously.
@deadenz that's the partition where your imei is stored.

If I'm not wrong in the Freegee thread you can read that EFS plays an important part on bypassing the bootloader.

Thus, having it backed up can play an important part in case Murphy pays you a visit.

Reactions: deadenz

Deweywiii

Feb 7, 2014
Georgetown
Okay so have roughly 15-16 hours of research and development on my part I have to wait to root my phone because after unbricking my soft brick from attempted OTA I learned that I simply flashed my phone to 10P not 10K. Stupid me. Flashing it wasn't hard it was just time consuming finding the TOT and what not. So I'll be monitoring the forums patiently waiting for the root of 10P while I attempt to create a root for 10P myself. Since I have acquired a G pro on 10P from a Co worker. WISH ME LUCK

mpsantiago

Okay so have roughly 15-16 hours of research and development on my part I have to wait to root my phone because after unbricking my soft brick from attempted OTA I learned that I simply flashed my phone to 10P not 10K. Stupid me. Flashing it wasn't hard it was just time consuming finding the TOT and what not. So I'll be monitoring the forums patiently waiting for the root of 10P while I attempt to create a root for 10P myself. Since I have acquired a G pro on 10P from a Co worker. WISH ME LUCK

Using this method:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2302660&nocache=1

...I was able to do mine in 30min or so (once I had all the big files downloaded!). I used the TOT linked in that thread.

Just don't try it in Win8. I could never get it to work on my Win8.1 laptop. I borrowed my wife's Win7 computer and it worked on the first shot with no fuss.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Root it..it's a must if you wanna get the most out if your device.

Freegee to install lokified CWM..

Personaly I prefer the stock based Rom.
    Most of the time I run the stock AT$T Rom de-bloated with titanium backup.

Remove carrier IQ with the" logging test app". Not a must but I don't like at&t spying on me so I remove that carp..

And I use xposed framework with the gravity box module. It has everything I want in a module.

If CM is your flavor there are several really great builds in XDA.

If you prefer a stock flavor there is a great G2~V5 Rom here. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2462453

As far as performance I have experimented with
    Faux kernel controller & TricksterMod
    Both from the play store.

That was real helpful.. thanks

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

Don't understand why people do this. Seriously.
    @deadenz that's the partition where your imei is stored.

If I'm not wrong in the Freegee thread you can read that EFS plays an important part on bypassing the bootloader.

Thus, having it backed up can play an important part in case Murphy pays you a visit.