Roms for phones with Use External Sd like as Internal Memory..is dangerous & Bad Idea

Search This thread

Filrond

Nov 2, 2013
Roms for phones with Use External Sd like as Internal Memory..is dangerous & Bad Idea

Is a very Great Dangerous

I had a really bad experience.

Months ago, I unlocked boot my girlfriend Xperia J, no problems. Root, recovery etc...backup previous rom and later.... I tested moded stock roms like as Avd but no complete satisfaction. Later with boot unlocked, install Fijotour Rom, fast rom but problems with language and other applications... then finally decide Install last cianogen Mod 10 fpr J and backup again phone with cmw recovery and FlashtTool.... no problems. Al Ok system work without problems for 1 month + .

My girlfriend Sd Card is Samsung Sd Class10 64Gb , Yes work on J.

Then I saw, my girlfriend install a lot of games and aplicattions ... and ... phone slow....

Finally search for use External Sd Card as SdCard or Internal Sd Card, ok I found Youtube manuals and web manuals for change parameters on Archive in /system/etc ... I decide change and then...

Restart phone, init fine and I saw, on Storage, Phone Internal Memory, External Sd card as Internal Memory Storage, and read internal sdcard as only one sdcar... All Ok... great job!!!!.... BUT.........

In use phone then appears stopped aplicattion erros, "aplicattion finished, aplication stopped".... etc... I said... "hmmmm is posible corrupt flash for this change... is better I try go to Cmw recovery and wipe for erase possible corrupt bad data........ And yes I went to Cmw Recovery, wipe, and for better safe (I thinked), install Cianogen Mod 10 again and Gapps.... ok all ok... Cmw recovery confirm me flash sucessfull and gaps sucessfull too... remove batery and.......

Never init again. Pnone no led, no init, no charge. Hard Bricked. Only appears Quantum generic dispositive when connect to Pc... but no possible flash or recover it... Buyed external charge and two more batterys, charge 100% 3 batterys.... but nothing.... Phone Complete Dead. NO flash mode, no fastboot mode, no init, no leds... nothing.

Finally send phone to my phone company, (Phone had a 2 warranty years, and I only spent 1).... "Bricked for use bad software".... "No possible repair, need change motherboard Phone"... I respond, "Ok, is my fault, I will pay repair".... Finally they send to Sony and change motherboard and for cortesy Sony no claim me money, accept repair with warranty, no need pay for repair... great luck. Phone init, configure, but no attach networks... replaced motherboad is in not good condition, appears imei motherboad down. Then need send again phone, and finally months later, replace phone for complete. They send me New Xperia J phone.. "Hey man... remember, you broken phone for bad software"...

My girlfriend new phone has a boot with unlock option yes, but I prefer no unlock it. I want wait for finish warranty and then is possible, I will decide open boot and install Kitkat rooms.. I need now a stock modded rom with locked bootloader compatibility.

Then I selected rom for Xperia J AlienV6.

I install Doomlord root, and later super pro (I buyed time ago), install bat and later recovery archive with flashtool, power off phone init go to cmw recovery and install Alien V6 rom, later flash with Jb kernel 31 (i had a last Jb rom official).

All ok, extrange init... no apears menus... tutorial install fail... but finally I go to Settings. configure all, restart, again to settings, configure others, restart, and finish all ok...

Room is good at first time, fast and decent stable is not a Cm but is good... but I check in Storage Settings section and I look.... External SD Card as Internal!!!!!!........ NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MORE RISKS!!!!! AHHHHH!!!!.

Please, new developers, remember, this a DANGEROUS option, please remove it for modded roms, No more bricks phones please.

I saw messages from moderatos and expert Developers, for not use this option in roms.... but people no listen.

I decide post this message for testimony, for advise to users. Risk for complete Dead brick phone is real with this option. I had luck, unlock my boot void warranty... but my phone company and Sony accept repair it in warranty for cortesy, only I say: "Thank you very much". If you bricked phone with this fail, needs replace phone motherboard.... and is possible you have pay repair or launch to trash your phone....

Thanks for your attention.

Greetings

Sorry for my poor English. I am from spain.

abstrkt1337

Feb 27, 2014
Somewhere in France

Months ago, I unlocked boot my girlfriend Xperia J, no problems. Root, recovery etc...backup previous rom and later.... I tested moded stock roms like as Avd but no complete satisfaction. Later with boot unlocked, install Fijotour Rom, fast rom but problems with language and other applications... then finally decide Install last cianogen Mod 10 fpr J and backup again phone with cmw recovery and FlashtTool.... no problems. Al Ok system work without problems for 1 month + .

Then I saw, my girlfriend install a lot of games and aplicattions ... and ... phone slow....

Finally search for use External Sd Card as SdCard or Internal Sd Card, ok I found Youtube manuals and web manuals for change parameters on Archive in /system/etc ... I decide change and then...

Restart phone, init fine and I saw, on Storage, Phone Internal Memory, External Sd card as Internal Memory Storage, and read internal sdcard as only one sdcar... All Ok... great job!!!!.... BUT.........

In use phone then appears stopped aplicattion erros, "aplicattion finished, aplication stopped".... etc... I said... "hmmmm is posible corrupt flash for this change... is better I try go to Cmw recovery and wipe for erase possible corrupt bad data........ And yes I went to Cmw Recovery, wipe, and for better safe (I thinked), install Cianogen Mod 10 again and Gapps.... ok all ok... Cmw recovery confirm me flash sucessfull and gaps sucessfull too... remove batery and.......

Never init again. Pnone no led, no init, no charge. Hard Bricked. Only appears Quantum generic dispositive when connect to Pc... but no possible flash or recover it... Buyed external charge and two more batterys, charge 100% 3 batterys.... but nothing.... Phone Complete Dead. NO flash mode, no fastboot mode, no init, no leds... nothing.

Finally send phone to my phone company, (Phone had a 2 warranty years, and I only spent 1).... "Bricked for use bad software".... "No possible repair, need change motherboard Phone"... I respond, "Ok, is my fault, I will pay repair".... Finally they send to Sony and change motherboard and for cortesy Sony no claim me money, accept repair with warranty, no need pay for repair... great luck. Phone init, configure, but no attach networks... replaced motherboad is in not good condition, appears imei motherboad down. Then need send again phone, and finally months later, replace phone for complete. They send me New Xperia J phone.. "Hey man... remember, you broken phone for bad software"...

My girlfriend new phone has a boot with unlock option yes, but I prefer no unlock it. I want wait for finish warranty and then is possible, I will decide open boot and install Kitkat rooms.. I need now a stock modded rom with locked bootloader compatibility.

I install Doomlord root, and later super pro (I buyed time ago), install bat and later recovery archive with flashtool, power off phone init go to cmw recovery and install Alien V6 rom, later flash with Jb kernel 31 (i had a last Jb rom official).

All ok, extrange init... no apears menus... tutorial install fail... but finally I go to Settings. configure all, restart, again to settings, configure others, restart, and finish all ok...

Room is good at first time, fast and decent stable is not a Cm but is good... but I check in Storage Settings section and I look.... External SD Card as Internal!!!!!!........ NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MORE RISKS!!!!! AHHHHH!!!!.

Please, new developers, remember, this a DANGEROUS option, please remove it for modded roms, No more bricks phones please.

I saw messages from moderatos and expert Developers, for not use this option in roms.... but people no listen.

I decide post this message for testimony, for advise to users. Risk for complete Dead brick phone is real with this option. I had luck, unlock my boot void warranty... but my phone company and Sony accept repair it in warranty for cortesy, only I say: "Thank you very much". If you bricked phone with this fail, needs replace phone motherboard.... and is possible you have pay repair or launch to trash your phone....

Greetings

You're right

Sent from my rooted B1-710 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

zephy09

Aug 2, 2012
Philippines
I flashed many roms on xperia j, including cm10, avd, seraphic, doomsday, miui5 and alien with swapped sdcard. I dont get any problems at all. :confused:

If you want a custom rom, you can push stock vold.fstab. :D

Last edited:

Phalangioides

Dec 9, 2013
This needs to be a rule.
I've never had any problems with swapped external, but for some people it will work fine once, twice and then it might hardbrick.

panos13

Jul 21, 2013
I agree 100% with OP. The thing is that my own phone was bricked by vold.stab trick. The first time it worked like a charm , but then after much flashing, it got reset , then i did it again and it got hard bricked. Fortunately, Sony accepted the warranty and fixed it. Good guy, Sony xD thank you!

Sent from my Xperia E dual using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

TeamMex

Recognized Developer / Inactive RC
I don't think so
your fault I use alot of my phones with moded Vold.fstab maybe you moved other lines
the unique diference is vold change mount points in MNT not other you use diferent mount point to use on vold.
Vold not at fault because the vold does not touch anything on the system just does a redirect.

but it's okay to warn of something that could happen.I have years with this method and no drama

cheers,

Reactions: zephy09

NSDCars5

Feb 17, 2013
Over there
nsood.in
I don't think so
your fault I use alot of my phones with moded Vold.fstab maybe you moved other lines
the unique diference is vold change mount points in MNT not other you use diferent mount point to use on vold.
Vold not at fault because the vold does not touch anything on the system just does a redirect.

but it's okay to warn of something that could happen.I have years with this method and no drama

cheers,

The thing is, it's very easy to mess up.

Reactions: abstrkt1337

Filrond

Nov 2, 2013
Ok, I failed. but Normal instruccions for install new Rom say: "Wipe Data/cache"..

Sorry for delay on my response.

Ok, I failed. but Normal instruccions for install new Rom say: "Wipe Data/cache"..

And Wipe Data, Cache, dalvik, format only system win Modify vold.fstab for use external card as internal sdCard and Internal SdCard as external SdCard is = hard brick.

No all people in this forum and other Internet sites, knows that danger. I did not know. It cost the death of the phone.

I am a novice on Xda Developers, but I am no novice in computer/electronics. I am a technical.

I modify/repair for years, computers, computers components, Sat Decoders (I am builded and use Jtags), Consoles, Phones, etc...

But Murphy's Law says: Nobody is perfect. Nobody is infallible. We can all fail and make mistakes.

Like me, others broke down their phones. Hardware bricks. Not is a joke is a serious damage.

The risk is there. And it's a risk with very serious consequences for phones users .

The Xperia J hard brick can not be recovered, methods used in some phones to retrieve hard brick, not suitable for this model.

Thanks for attention.

Greetings.

Kizoky

Sorry for delay on my response.

And Wipe Data, Cache, dalvik, format only system win Modify vold.fstab for use external card as internal sdCard and Internal SdCard as external SdCard is = hard brick.

No all people in this forum and other Internet sites, knows that danger. I did not know. It cost the death of the phone.

I am a novice on Xda Developers, but I am no novice in computer/electronics. I am a technical.

I modify/repair for years, computers, computers components, Sat Decoders (I am builded and use Jtags), Consoles, Phones, etc...

But Murphy's Law says: Nobody is perfect. Nobody is infallible. We can all fail and make mistakes.

Like me, others broke down their phones. Hardware bricks. Not is a joke is a serious damage.

The risk is there. And it's a risk with very serious consequences for phones users .

The Xperia J hard brick can not be recovered, methods used in some phones to retrieve hard brick, not suitable for this model.

Thanks for attention.

Greetings.

People learn from their bad mistakes, you don't really need to worry. ;)

Mar 3, 2014
Kolkata
I flashed many roms on xperia j, including cm10, avd, seraphic, doomsday, miui5 and alien with swapped sdcard. I dont get any problems at all. :confused:

If you want a custom rom, you can push stock vold.fstab. :D

I'm trying doomsday rom... its great but i've troubkle in swapping external to internal by editng vold.fstab...... Any suggestion? I tried this and after restarting nothing changes....:(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Greetings

Somebody give this guy a medal. :D

Seriously, switching memories (aka "vold.fstab trick") is a bad idea, best not to do it. Ever. Ever ever ever.
    I don't think so

cheers,
    Somebody give this guy a medal. :D

Seriously, switching memories (aka "vold.fstab trick") is a bad idea, best not to do it. Ever. Ever ever ever.

And it's slowing our devices :(.

Sent from my rooted B1-710 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    I don't think so

cheers,

The thing is, it's very easy to mess up.