[DISCONTINUED] CM9/ICS Nightly Builds

Search This thread

911jason

Nov 1, 2010
Los Angeles
The newer kernel helps with SOD but does not eliminate them all. I have found that adding the patched wifi module eliminates even more. So I use both together. You only need to use the module if you are still suffering SODs with the new kernel.

Does this new wifi module fix the problem with some routers where they have to be in 802.11g only for the NC to connect? My Nook connects fine to my DIR-655 with CM7, but I have to switch it to G-only with CM9.

mikespug

Jan 2, 2011
The keyboard and a few apps, particularly Opera Mobile, are HUGE on the screen...any way to adjust this back down? I've tried playing around with LCD density but to no avail...

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
so just to get this straight, if i am running cm9 off of my sdcard, can i install clockwork mod recovery and run it off the sdcard? if so, how? right now, i only have the uRecovery
Actually you can. There is a modified CWM recovery (version 3.0.2.8) that can be used with SD installs. It has been modified to read and write to the partitions on the SD. BUT IT CANNOT BE USED TO FLASH NIGHTLIES!! It can flash other install files like the fix boot animation zip, etc., BUT NOT NIGHTLIES. If you try to flash a nightly, it will flash it to emmc, so don't try. However, it can be used to backup and restore your whole SD install (/boot, /system, /data and /cache). It puts the backup files on your SD under clockworkmod/backup. This is what I use it for. You can use it to wipe your SD partitions (/system and /data). And you can clear dalvik-cache and cache. But note, the SD install uses the cache partition on emmc and shares it with emmc so clearing it for SD clears emmc cache too. Never wipe /boot, you will lose the verygreen script and this CWM you just put on your system.

I have it set up as an alternate boot in the SD boot menu. When booting, hold the N key until the boot menu comes up. Then switch to SD and Alternate Boot (the third choice). CWM will come up and you can do everything you would normally do with CWM, (EXCEPT FLASHING NIGHTLIES - don't try!).

To install to your SD card, unrar the attached file and you will have uAltImg and uAltRam. Place those in the boot partition of your SD card and you're done.

The Verygreen recovery is still there as the second choice on the boot menu and should still be used for flashing nightlies or other ROMs.

EDIT: There was a problem with the original 3.0.2.8 version hanging after a dalvik-cache wipe. It still cleared the cache but locked up not really letting the user know if it was successful or not. So I have uploaded a revised version that should work better.

Edit2: This thread has been discontinued by the original poster so I moved the file to my tips thread which is linked in my signature. The file is now attached to the second post and described in item B5. It is now v6.0.1.2.

Last edited:

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
AWESOME...thanks, backups is exactly why i want it:)
BTW, that script that I posted earlier for modifying build.prop on the fly does not work with the Verygreen recovery on SD installs, but it works with the modified CWM recovery I just posted.

---------- Post added at 12:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 PM ----------

Does this new wifi module fix the problem with some routers where they have to be in 802.11g only for the NC to connect? My Nook connects fine to my DIR-655 with CM7, but I have to switch it to G-only with CM9.
I don't think it has any effect on router issues. It was only modified to cut down on SODs. And it's not new. It was modified in October 2011.

---------- Post added at 01:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 PM ----------

The keyboard and a few apps, particularly Opera Mobile, are HUGE on the screen...any way to adjust this back down? I've tried playing around with LCD density but to no avail...
No. It has been speculated that the problem is caused by the new kernel and library files that were created when opengl was introduced on or around the end of January. If you want it smaller try going for an older nightly. I think the devs have this on their list to fix.

Reactions: 911jason
This is in the Volume + app correct. The Nook Tweaks app doesn't work with ics. I just reinstalled Volume + and cleared the app data and it worked fine for me

I'm still getting force close errors and it just wont work. Volume+ just keeps closing. I think it has something to do with the Music setting that is missing in the sound settings in the control panel

frankusb

Mar 8, 2011
there have been mixed comments on this; some saying that it was incorporated, and others saying they still use the fix...if its not necessary anymore, i'll take it out of the next one...samiam330, can you weigh in on this?

The kernel changes are in the MMC driver (which the wifi driver uses). The wifi driver changes are different.

A co-worker with CM7 tried the kernel only changes and still experienced the SOD. Adding the wifi changes allowed him to stop the SOD on CM7.

Based on that, I would say it's still necessary.

Frank

Samiam303

May 15, 2010
Cleveland
www.sphsolutions.net
there have been mixed comments on this; some saying that it was incorporated, and others saying they still use the fix...if its not necessary anymore, i'll take it out of the next one...samiam330, can you weigh in on this?
There was an update to the kernel that was supposed to help with the SOD issue, but the flashable SOD fix uses a different method to try and fix them. Some people have reported that there's still a benefit to flashing that even with the new kernel, and I haven't heard anyone report any issues related to it, so I'd say there's no harm in including it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As of 8/25/12, this project is officially discontinued. All information below is for archival purposes only and will not be supported henceforth.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INTRODUCTION
    Now that Fattire has lifted his request that everyone build their own zips, I've decided to make available the nightly builds I've been generating. I've got an OS X system cranking out a new build every night at midnight, so there will always be an up to date zip available!

Credit for this rom goes to Fattire, Dalingrin, keyodi, nemith, arcee and the the other hard working people over in the development thread, as well as the the CyanogenMod developers and anyone who's done work on the Nook Color. I wish I could list everyone by name but there's so many great people who've made contributions I can't even begin to do so. I'm just building zips from the source; we'd be nowhere without the contributions these great developers have made to this community.

As nighty builds, these zips may not always work. I'll try to remove any zip found to be broken, but you know the drill: All files provided here are to be installed at your own risk. I'm making built zips available, but no warranty is expressed or implied by the hosting of said zips. I'll provide what support I'm able to, but that doesn't mean that there aren't potentially unknown bugs. If you have questions, you should check the development thread or try the #NookColor IRC channnel on irc.freenode.net.

As posted by Fattire slightly further down, anyone feeling adventurous should definitely consider building from source rather than downloading the built zips. Here's his two cents:
    Want to build ICS from raw source code yourself?

It may be a good learning activity, and will certainly make you more self-sufficient. Hundreds have built ICS for Nookcolor successfully, and understanding the process will make you an Android ninja-- PLUS you can try features and bug fixes as-yet-unaccepted-into-the-mainstream build.

Take a look at:

The ICS NookColor Build WalkThrough

However, if you're not quite sold on setting up a development environment but you still want to try the goodness that is Ice Cream Sandwich, proceeed on down to the...

DOWNLOADS
    Without further ado: The Ice Cream Sandwich zips!
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nightly Builds.

The rom does not include the google apps, so you can/should flash the lastest version of those, which is available here.

Finally, I've hosted a few flashable zip files to make small tweaks to the rom. These are all located in the misc. folder on my server. Below is an explanation of each zip and its purpose.

MISC FOLDER INFO

If you notice that some apps are missing from the market, this may be due to the fact that these ICS builds for the nook do not include support for apps which request phone permissions. Although this ideally would be fixed by developers not requesting phone permissions for their app unless it absolutely needs to be phone-specific, you can also fix it by flashing the telephony-permissions-fix.zip file located in the misc folder. You will likely want to flash this file immediately after flashing your rom.

Secondly, if you prefer the old bootanimation from the galaxy nexus, you can also flash the fix-bootanimation.zip located in the Misc. folder, which replace the new CM9 animation it with Homer_S_xda's fixed version. Thanks to Homer for the fix!

NOTES ON INSTALLING TO SD
    I've fixed Verygreen's sd installer image to work with ICS -- you should no longer have to flash SP1 first, or rename the gapps to gapps-gb. If you test out this image, please let me know how it works for you! More recently, Leapinlar has stepped up in helping to fix the image further, increasing its size to allow for the larger size of the new nightlies. Thanks to him for his help -- It's available for download here. Huge thanks to Verygreen for helping me to figure out what needed to be fixed -- in the words of HacDan, "He's not just super helpful, he's a genius". Once you've got the new image, you can use Verygreen's original instructions from his thread on SD Installs, replacing "cm7" with "cm9" where necessary.

IN CONCLUSION
    Please remember to thank the developers working on this project, as they've done seriously awesome things for us in an amazingly short amount of time. If you have questions/comments specifically regarding my zips, please post them here, but if you have more general questions regarding Ice Cream Sandwich on the NC you may want to head on over to the development thread. Finally, if you're really enjoying the rom I'd strongly recommend that you try setting up a build environment and building your own zips -- even though I'm making prebuilt ones available they're no substitute for the experience gained by getting familiar with the build process yourself, and Fattire has done a great job of making it an extremely accessible and rewarding project.
    It seems that a while back my build system broke for some reason, and I just haven't ever had time to focus on getting it back in working order -- I've started a new job and am going back to school, so I think at this point I'm just going to officially discontinue this project and leave you guys in Eyeballer's well qualified hands. Thanks to everyone who used my builds -- this was a fun project for me and I hope you all enjoyed it too.
    And you can build too!

Want to build ICS from raw source code yourself?

It may be a good learning activity, and will certainly make you more self-sufficient. Hundreds have built ICS for Nookcolor successfully, and understanding the process will make you an Android ninja-- PLUS you can try features and bug fixes as-yet-unaccepted-into-the-mainstream build.

Take a look at:

The ICS NookColor Build WalkThrough
    So I've fallen off the forum a bit in recent weeks/months, but it's summer now so I'm back! In the interest of trying to bring this thread back up to date with the new developments, I've FINALLY gotten around to making a change I'd been meaning to make for a long time now -- my builds will now clobber after uploading each nightly to the server, so every one will be a clean scratch build. Hopefully this'll get rid of any issues that may have been kicking around from reusing the code.

EDIT: I also want to thank those helpful posters -- I have leapinlar primarily in mind but there's too many to name individually -- who have been tirelessly providing user support and keeping this thread alive. You guys are a great help to the community!
    I'm sorry, but the poster who comes into a ROM build post for the Nook Color in the Nook Color development section of XDA and says they have dumped it for a Fire because the Fire is faster (duh it has a dual core processor and was released a year later than the Color), is the troll.

Mods you can remove this whole string of off-topic posts started by the troll.

Done... Carry on folks!