[HOWTO] [ROOT] No Tripping Flash Counter - [ATT / Bell / Telus / Rogers / Sasktel]

Search This thread

rha_december

Jan 29, 2012
Fayetteville
So this supposedly doesn't trip the flash counter. Can I flash it and then run Triangle Away, run the SuperSU Full Unroot, and be completely stock with "no" flash counter and it show official status in download mode? My Note2's antenna/radio or whatever seems messed up, because it can barely pick up a signal, so I want to send it back for another one.

UPDATE:
Confirmed. After trying so many different methods, I gave this a shot. Flashed via Odin, ran triangle away, used full unroot, and now I'm 100% stock with 0 flash counter.

Last edited:
Reactions: jon3sh and dsmturbo

jon3sh

Sep 17, 2009
So this supposedly doesn't trip the flash counter. Can I flash it and then run Triangle Away, run the SuperSU Full Unroot, and be completely stock with "no" flash counter and it show official status in download mode? My Note2's antenna/radio or whatever seems messed up, because it can barely pick up a signal, so I want to send it back for another one.

UPDATE:
Confirmed. After trying so many different methods, I gave this a shot. Flashed via Odin, ran triangle away, used full unroot, and now I'm 100% stock with 0 flash counter.

Did you use rooted rom from here? Please post exactly hoq you did cuz im sending mine in too.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using xda premium

jon3sh

Sep 17, 2009
You can just use the stock Odin rom from sammobile.com
If you use this file then just launch supersu after and in settings select full unroot .

I tried but still showing as modified tried with triangle away first then full unroot on superuser it does not show any counter but showing modified then tried flashing root injected rom from here and then full unroot still same result. Thanks

dsmturbo

Oct 7, 2008
Calgary, AB Canada
Well I am not sure what happened to my device but I just checked Status and it shows Modified. I thought I had checked it before and it showed Stock or whatever.

How do you check for the Trip Counter?

wherestheanykey

Sep 1, 2009
I tried but still showing as modified tried with triangle away first then full unroot on superuser it does not show any counter but showing modified then tried flashing root injected rom from here and then full unroot still same result. Thanks

Did you try either doing a factory data reset or flashing the stock tar from sam mobile, after running triangle away and unrooting?

When I did it, I flashed this first, then installed and ran Triangle Away, then using Odin, falshed the stock ROM tar. Then did a factory data reset before sending it in to warranty.

Good Luck

---------- Post added at 07:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:21 PM ----------

Well I am not sure what happened to my device but I just checked Status and it shows Modified. I thought I had checked it before and it showed Stock or whatever.

How do you check for the Trip Counter?

I noticed the same thing on mine recently. I had it all back to a zero'd flash counter, a binary status of normal, and a system status of normal in settings. But something happened along the way, and now I show modifed in settings and for binary status in download mode. Kind of a bummer after having it all cleaned up and fully rooted at one point.

Anyway to check the flash counter, turn your phone off, then hold volume down, the home button and power button all at the same time until the screen comes on with the yellow triangle, then push volume up once.

jon3sh

Sep 17, 2009
Did you try either doing a factory data reset or flashing the stock tar from sam mobile, after running triangle away and unrooting?

When I did it, I flashed this first, then installed and ran Triangle Away, then using Odin, falshed the stock ROM tar. Then did a factory data reset before sending it in to warranty.

Good Luck

Yup tried diff ways

1 flashed root injected rom, flashed triangle away, reset counter then after reboot ran superuser did full root then factory reset. Result Modified

2 flashed root injected rom, ran superuser full root then factory reset. Same modified.

3 flashed stock rom root with cf root installed t away, reset counter. Uninstalled t away then superuser to full unroot then factory reset still modified.

All above gives me No binary and Samsung official except for modified at device status.

I will try again with first or second step and will flashed stock rom no root then factory reset after. Will post for result later. Thanks

dsmturbo

Oct 7, 2008
Calgary, AB Canada

Good Luck

---------- Post added at 07:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:21 PM ----------

I noticed the same thing on mine recently. I had it all back to a zero'd flash counter, a binary status of normal, and a system status of normal in settings. But something happened along the way, and now I show modifed in settings and for binary status in download mode. Kind of a bummer after having it all cleaned up and fully rooted at one point.

Anyway to check the flash counter, turn your phone off, then hold volume down, the home button and power button all at the same time until the screen comes on with the yellow triangle, then push volume up once.

Thanks I'll check that.

What is Binary Staus and how do you check that? I am just going by Status in normal phone about settings?

OK I just checked Shows Custom Binary No Current Binary Samsung Official System Status Custom

Last edited:

mrRobinson

Dec 20, 2010
Yup tried diff ways

1 flashed root injected rom, flashed triangle away, reset counter then after reboot ran superuser did full root then factory reset. Result Modified

2 flashed root injected rom, ran superuser full root then factory reset. Same modified.

3 flashed stock rom root with cf root installed t away, reset counter. Uninstalled t away then superuser to full unroot then factory reset still modified.

All above gives me No binary and Samsung official except for modified at device status.

I will try again with first or second step and will flashed stock rom no root then factory reset after. Will post for result later. Thanks

?? None of these make sense.
Use Odin.
Boot to download mode. Flash stock rom.
Once done pull batt and boot to stock recovery. Factory reset. Reboot.

jon3sh

Sep 17, 2009
?? None of these make sense.
Use Odin.
Boot to download mode. Flash stock rom.
Once done pull batt and boot to stock recovery. Factory reset. Reboot.

I ll give it a try like you said and yeah all done using odin. And fyi your root injected rom does not trigger counter or anything its just weird Im not sure too why modified status sticking and why it wont go away. Thanks again.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

dsmturbo

Oct 7, 2008
Calgary, AB Canada
Hmm, I am wondering if my status is due to disabling a couple Factory Samsung Apps? Would that do anything to change the Status to show Modified now?

mrRobinson

Dec 20, 2010
Hmm, I am wondering if my status is due to disabling a couple Factory Samsung Apps? Would that do anything to change the Status to show Modified now?

Do you use allshare or something and are being blocked from using it due to the modified status? If the status is having no ill effects on you using your phone then there is no point in you sweating over it. It could go back to normal after a day and then go back to modified. It can flag on any modifications you've made to system including simply adding root. It is not like the binary flash counter that needs a special method to be reset. once you flash stock odin it won't be modified.

dsmturbo

Oct 7, 2008
Calgary, AB Canada
Do you use allshare or something and are being blocked from using it due to the modified status? If the status is having no ill effects on you using your phone then there is no point in you sweating over it. It could go back to normal after a day and then go back to modified. It can flag on any modifications you've made to system including simply adding root. It is not like the binary flash counter that needs a special method to be reset. once you flash stock odin it won't be modified.

Thank you, I won't sweat it if no ill effects It could be something I was playing with as I had used an app called L***y P*****er and Flash I think but I have since disabled it and downloaded unmodified Flash Player.

fredfire

Jun 20, 2010
Montreal
For those who are wondering why it's not booting, you need to do a wipe data factory reset after flashing with odin.

Last edited:

Kaiotee

Mar 22, 2011
im curious

As one interested in a good stock root, I just read this entire thread. One thing that jumps out at me is many people having to factory reset after odin sends them off into a bootloop.

I also saw mentioned that having stuff in your cache can cause a bootloop.

I was just wondering if anyone stuck in a bootloop after odin has tried just clearing the cache instead of doing a full reset?

Or if clearing the cache beforehand would avoid the bootloop altogether?

crooks306

Mar 20, 2008
Heimdall

Any chance we can get this to work with Heimdall. I don't have access to a windows box and I'm pretty much at a dead end trying to get the sasktel one to work. Stuck with the missing xml file error and I can't really grasp the concept of creating one. I'm sure there are enough linux and osx users to make it worthwhile.

dsmturbo

Oct 7, 2008
Calgary, AB Canada
Any chance we can get this to work with Heimdall. I don't have access to a windows box and I'm pretty much at a dead end trying to get the sasktel one to work. Stuck with the missing xml file error and I can't really grasp the concept of creating one. I'm sure there are enough linux and osx users to make it worthwhile.

I think this would be the wrong thread for that. Are you referring to getting Odin to work? I believe if you search you will find mention of Heimdall somewhere in the forums.
I run Mac and use Parallels and worked fine for me. You can use a virtual machine or Bootcamp and run Windows. It would ne nice if there were versions of Odin for other OS platforms.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a root injected FACTORY Stock I317 Odin Flashable Image. You flash this in Odin just as you would the completely stock ROM from samsung. I've simply injected the su binary and SuperSu app so you now have rooted stock image.

4.3 Image Notes: With 4.3 images, KNOX is removed in order for root to stick. This will flag the Knox counter. Once you flash one of these 4.3 images you now have the latest factory stock bootloader, radio, etc. Flashing a prior bootloader can hard/soft brick your device. Please read and understand what you are doing.

You can get ODIN here
    and the drivers for the SGH-I317 so ODIN can detect your phone can be found at Samsung's site. Click on the Manuals & Downloads tab at the bottom and then on Software for the latest driver.

Instructions:
    First, Download Image:

ATT Rom
    January 2013 JB 4.1.2
    Mirror 1: root66_ATT_I317UCAMA4.7z

October 2012 JB 4.1.1
    Mirror 1: root66_ATT_I317UCALJ2.7z
    Mirror 2: root66_ATT_I317UCALJ2.7z
    Image supplied by Kirbo20. Please thank him for his time in getting the stock image to me.

Bell Rom
    December 2013 JB 4.3 - New!
    Download: root66_BMC_I317MVLUCMK5.7z

January 2013 JB 4.1.2
    Download: root66_BMC_I317MVLBMA3.7z

October 2012 JB 4.1.1
    Mirror 1: root66_BMC_I317MVLALJ2.7z
    Mirror 2: root66_BMC_I317MVLALJ2.7z

Telus Rom
    Download: root66_TLS_I317MVLUCMK5.7z

January 2013 JB 4.1.2
    Download: root66_TLS_I317MVLBMA3.7z

October 2012 JB 4.1.1
    Mirror 1: root66_TLS_I317MVLALJ2.7z
    Mirror 2: root66_TLS_I317MVLALJ2.7z

Rogers Rom
    Download: root66_RWC_I317MVLUCMK5.7z

January 2013 JB 4.1.2
    Download: root66_RWC_I317MVLBMA3.7z

October 2012 JB 4.1.1
    Mirror 1: root66_RWC_I317MVLALJ2.7z
    Mirror 2: root66_RWC_I317MVLALJ2.7z

Sasktel Rom
    Download: root66_BWA_I317MVLUCMK5.7z

January 2013 JB 4.1.2
    Download: root66_BWA_I317MVLBMA3.7z

October 2012 JB 4.1.1
    Mirror 1: root66_BWA_I317MVLALJ2.7z
    Mirror 2: root66_BWA_I317MVLALJ2.7z

Virgin Rom
    Download: root66_VMC_I317MVLUCMK5.7z

January 2013 JB 4.1.2
    Download: root66_VMC_I317MVLBMA3.7z

October 2012 JB 4.1.1
    Mirror 1: root66_VMC_I317MVLALJ2.7z
    Mirror 2: root66_VMC_I317MVLALJ2.7z

Second, Extract and Flash:
    Extract the root66_xxx_I317MVLALJ2.tar.md5 from the .7z file you downloaded.
    Use Odin, put phone into download mode [with phone off, hold vol. down + home + power ], connect to computer and open Odin.
    once in odin click the PDA field and select the root66_xxx_I317MVLALJ2.tar.md5 you downloaded.
    Leave Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time checked.
    click start and
    when done let phone reboot.
    If you have issues flashing with Odin please ensure you are using the microusb cable that came with the phone, users have had issues using other cables.
    If you just want a stock, rooted phone with no custom recovery, no plans to flash custom roms, etc. then you can stop HERE.

Optional, Recovery (will trip counter):
    It seems loading any custom recovery will trip the download mode flash counter. Loading a non stock recovery will also prevent you from successfully applying any OTA updates however here is a procedure for any who want a non-stock recovery:
    Currently I see TWRP has support for this device so the instructions here will install that recovery.
    Option 1: Download GooManager from the Play store. Once installed click the menu and select "Install OpenRecovery Script".
    Option 2: Download the TWRP recovery image here. Copy it to the /sdcard of your phone.
    Connect your phone to your computer and use adb
    type adb shell
    once in the shell run su
    then
    dd if=/sdcard/http://goo.im/devs/OpenRecovery/t0lteatt/openrecovery-twrp-2.4.4.0-t0lteatt.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p9

Alternate if unfamiliar with adb commands
    Grab android terminal emulator from the play store and run the same commands starting with su and then the dd command.

De-Bloater
    If you've made it this far with a stock, rooted phone with CWM or TWRP and you don't want to flash a custom rom (which will do its own de-bloating) you can check out my mrRobinson Note II De-Bloater to easily get rid of bloat system apps you no longer want to see. Simply flash in CWM or TWRP like anything else and you will be presented with a menu system to choose what to remove. If you are unsure it is safe to pick Minimal and still get a decent de-bloat.​

Miscellaneous Files
    CWM/TWRP Flashable OTA Update: I took the stock I317UCALK7 update.zip that was posted by reinbeau (thanks!) and simply made it flashable with a non-stock recovery preserving root through the process. I see nothing in here that would wipe data but did not test it myself.
    Download: root66_OTA_I317_UCALJ2_to_UCALK7.zip

History:
    I've injected root into other stock images and those threads have a lot of valuable information which could answer some questions that may arise here. If you have time to do some reading here are a few of the informative ones:
    Samsung Galaxy S3 [ATT / Bell / Telus / Rogers / Sasktel ]
    Samsung Galaxy S3 [TMO / Wind / Mobilicity]
    Also did sprint and vzw but there isn't much there that won't be covered above.

FAQ
    1. Does this remove bloatware?
      A: No. It is same as stock, nothing is removed.
    2. Does this use an unsecured boot.img
      A: No. This flashes the stock boot.img in the ODIN image.
    3. If my flash counter has been tripped, and I flash this and reset the counter, will it stay at 0.
      A: Yes, as long as you don't then flash a non-stock recovery.
    4. More to come...

And tomorrow I'll post the rooted versions of them all. :thumbup:
    I noticed the Rogers and Sasktel hit Kies. Others should follow.
    I317mvlbma3

Well here are links to NON ROOTED stock roms for the new Canadian build.

Canada open- I317MVLBMA3_I317MOYABMA3_VMC.zip
    Bell - I317MVLBMA3_I317MOYABMA3_BMC.zip
    Sasktel - I317MVLBMA3_I317MOYABMA3_BWA.zip
    Telus - I317MVLBMA3_I317MOYABMA3_TLS.zip
    Rogers - I317MVLBMA3_I317MOYABMA3_RWC.zip
    WHAT THE HECK DID YOU DO!??!?!

ARE YOU A WIZARD OR SOMETHING??!?!

I had rooted my i317M to restore a TiBu and it broke OTA. I was not aware of this! Oh well, I don't REALLY need root, I said, I just want to go back to stock! I tried all the tutorials to restore stock from having used CF-autoroot, but they all failed for me.

BUT NOW I HAVE ROOT AND "NORMAL" device status.
    WHAT SORCERY IS THIS?
    An OTA will likely break root, right? I don't really care, though.

Where do I donate?

When an ota comes out you can use voodoo ota rootkeeper to retain root. Or I can edit it to keep root itself and you put my modified one on your sdcard.
    I don't take donations. Send what you might have to the EFF or something instead since it's relevant to what we do.