Defy earpiece begining to fail (T-mobile US)

Search This thread

Sutitan

Dec 12, 2010
My speaker just started to fail. I recieved a call and it wouldent work period. I just assumed a bad connection. I tried making a call later, and I figured that it might be the ear speaker so I tried gently pushing on the top left corner like if read people doing, and well, it began working. it would cut in and out, but it was obvious there was a problem. I tried the speakerphone and it worked perfectly fine.

Anyone else in the states have a problem with their defy. any suggestions. Im really happy with the phone, but this cant continue. it hasn't even been two weeks!!!

scrannel

Aug 27, 2007
So far it is less prevalent in the states. If you go on the T-Mo Defy site, or the US Defy site at Motorola you'll see some, but if you go to the non-US site on Motorola there are a lot. No one's sure iof it's a software or hardware issue. Some have (temporaitly) restored their speaker by messing around with the "Voice Quality" settings.

jakiej

Jun 7, 2006
i think i've read somewhere that moto had admitted it was a manufacture defect..

Viridis

Nov 17, 2010
I've got this problem (UK) and I'm not happy, I've already replaced one because of a dead pixel, from what I've read people aren't certain whether it's a hardware or software problem. I'm guessing hardware though.

So far it is less prevalent in the states. If you go on the T-Mo Defy site, or the US Defy site at Motorola you'll see some, but if you go to the non-US site on Motorola there are a lot. No one's sure iof it's a software or hardware issue. Some have (temporaitly) restored their speaker by messing around with the "Voice Quality" settings.

This morning my handset speaker went silent after about a month of owning the device. I'm in US, and I never used headphones. Cold booting, nor playing with the voice quality settings made any difference, the handset speaker is really a goner.

scrannel

Aug 27, 2007
Yup. No one seems to have a cause yet. Still it seems far less common in the US. I found this post from the US Motorola forum from a T-Mo salesperson:

"I have only had one returned out of the 100+ that we have sold in the store I work in, and it was because the phone was "too smart" (her words) for her. No returns due to ear piece issues."

ascot17

Dec 17, 2006
My son's Defy went back to T-Mobile (UK) last week with the same problem. Was fine on speakerphone but no sound at all from the earpiece.

A common fault according to the customer service lady on the phone.

mariu$

May 31, 2010
now would be a great time for a develope to step in(because motorola are impotents and cant back up theyre own products) and heres my genius idea:
Instead of talking to it the normal way, turn it arround with the back loud speaker(lower the volume) to the year, and use the noise canceling mic to talk, now the front mic that should've been normally used is going to work as noise canceling.
picture:
18745845.png

dave79

Apr 27, 2008
London
Got an exchange

I purchased a Defy in mid November through Vodafone UK. The earpiece started to fail occasionally after 2 weeks. I thought it was self caused due to me playing around in water. However everything else seemed to function alright.

After pushing slightly on top of the phone, I managed to get some sound from time to time.
I called Vodafone two days ago (Dec 30th), and they immediately sent me a replacement phone! Got the package yesterday!

backup everything didn't seem to save my angry birds scores though :(

//Dave - Happy again.

May 22, 2008
Madison Heights
Mine just crapped out two days ago....at first I just thought it wasnt dialing until today I turned on speaker and BAM.....so I called tmobile and they are sending out my 3rd device....Guy told me on the phone if this one has problem they will reset my upgrade credit and send me a new phone of our choice (within reasonable price range)

SteveChou

Nov 8, 2010
Shanghai
Mine just crapped out two days ago....at first I just thought it wasnt dialing until today I turned on speaker and BAM.....so I called tmobile and they are sending out my 3rd device....Guy told me on the phone if this one has problem they will reset my upgrade credit and send me a new phone of our choice (within reasonable price range)

The bug phone was made in December?or Nov?
You can know it by MSN code.

rbeier1221

Sep 11, 2010
If you are rooted you can use Titanium backup to backup angry birds and it will maintain your scores.

I purchased a Defy in mid November through Vodafone UK. The earpiece started to fail occasionally after 2 weeks. I thought it was self caused due to me playing around in water. However everything else seemed to function alright.

After pushing slightly on top of the phone, I managed to get some sound from time to time.
I called Vodafone two days ago (Dec 30th), and they immediately sent me a replacement phone! Got the package yesterday!

backup everything didn't seem to save my angry birds scores though :(

//Dave - Happy again.

Step666

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 13, 2009
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
I think I'm starting to have this problem.

Does anyone know that it can be 100% fixed if it's sent away to be seen by an engineer?

I've already swapped my Defy once due to being unhappy with the battery performance of the original and the new handset's an absolute stormer in that respect, so I don't want to swap it again only to end up with another one that has a poorer battery life.
Not to mention, there's no guarantee that the earpiece on the replacement phone won't end up with the same problem...

So, with that in mind, I'd rather send it off and just have it fixed, provided that once it's fixed it's guaranteed to stay that way.

Rhyr

Nov 20, 2006
Vercelli
I think the same...

Any photo of Defy inside?

Any web of Defy parts?

what is really the hardware issue? the jack? the speaker?

Nobody just open the Phone to auto repare?

thanks in advance

Some years ago i had an i-mate jam, and the device was affected, due to a contact problem, by an absence of sound on the call-speaker.

So, from my past experience, i can suppose that the problem is on speaker contact, becuase most of call-speaker are not soldered on the board.
On the jam i resolved soldering two wires between the speaker and the board.
But i don't know exactly how is inside the defy, so I can only assume with no certainty...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I spoke with a Tmo (USA) rep and they asked me to pull the battery and look at the small sticker towards the top of the compartment. They were looking for either a blue dot or “BP” in the text above “made in China”. It seems that if your phone has either of these, you are in the clear...
    can you please detail where did you apply for a ticket at the motorola site? Did you register your phone there? I tried to email them and had two (catastrophic) live assistance chats but they did not provide me a support ticket in spite of I asked for it directly. (I saved both chat logs, it's well worth to show off the highly unprofessional almost complete ignorance they could demonstrate regarding my problem)

well, it was not really a ticket number as you know it from other service processes.
    I send the support an email over the motorola website. got a reply with reference number etc. in their reply they informed we what to do and where to send the phone. all worked well.
    next time you call their service line start with the sentence "this is being recorded for training purposes" and all should run smooth.