Stock 10.1 2014 and USB HDD via OTG

Search This thread

Zumajay

Dec 29, 2013
FYI guys our stock Note 10.1 2014s have native support for USB HDDs via On the Go (OTG) cables. However, the drive cannot be NTFS: I tried a couple of different OTG cables, a powered USB hub for powering the HDD, etc, on my NTFS (a 2 TByte Passport) without luck.

I then quick-formatted the Passport to FAT and BAM everything worked perfectly: the USB device was recognized and the native "My Files" app auto-opened to display the contents of the HDD (i.e. an app like "Nexus Media Importer", which I used on my N10, is unnecessary)

Very impressive. I am diggin this tablet more and more...

Last edited:

Riesi4

Jan 2, 2014
FYI guys our stock Note 10.1 2014s have native support for USB HDDs via On the Go (OTG) cables. However, the drive cannot be NTFS: I tried a couple of different OTG cables, a powered USB hub for powering the HDD, etc, on my NTFS (a 2 TByte Passport) without luck.

I then quick-formatted the Passport to FAT and BAM everything worked perfectly: the USB device was recognized and the native "My Files" app auto-opened to display the contents of the HDD (i.e. an app like "Nexus Media Importer", which I used on my N10, is unnecessary)

Very impressive. I am diggin this tablet more and more...

Hi

The problem is the Kernel of the P605. On my Galaxy S4 i´ve solved the problem with the installation of a "hacker kernel v7 leak". Now it can read an write NTFS devices.

But for the Note i cant find a other kernel yet :crying:

Geordie Affy

Oct 21, 2013
Newcastle Upon Tyne
If this is the case I think I will order a OTG cable right now :)
@Zumajay So basicallyallI have to do is turn my WD Passport into FAT and it will work via OTG?

Sent from Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition via Tapatalk.

Last edited:

fantasmanegro

Apr 27, 2012
@Zumajay So basicallyallI have to do is turn my WD Passport into FAT and it will work via OTG?

yes, any massive storage with fat32 format, can be read with this tablet, just remember that fat32 has a file size limit of 4gb

---------- Post added at 10:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 AM ----------

Rooted users should try OTG Helper ... that seems to do the trick for NTFS.

not exactl...

you need the ntfs file system drivers inside the kernel in order to read nfts hdd format

Reactions: Geordie Affy

Marshall1975

Nov 21, 2009
Lincoln / Taif
I originally tried all of the NTFS mounting apps and none of them worked. Just formatted my HDD's to exFat then there is no 4gb file limit and all works fine.

joe666it

Oct 18, 2013
I originally tried all of the NTFS mounting apps and none of them worked. Just formatted my HDD's to exFat then there is no 4gb file limit and all works fine.

Also having root does not help.
The problem is SELinux in Enforcing mode, it blocks all the programs that try to modify System partition by installing, in this case, the NTFS drivers.

Until someone will make a P605 kernel with SELinux in permissive mode, there is no way to manage an NTFS partitioned usb drive. :(

pepo80

Jun 13, 2008
No more news about samsung note 10 ed. 2014 and solution for ntfs?

inviato dal mio Lg g4 h815 in attesa di qualcosa di nuovo...

Didn't think the P600 can run an external hard drive.

Tried just now with stock rom and Xluco kernel, that one's modded to support NTFS filesystem, but I haven't managed to get any externals to respond to the device.

-plugged in a small pendrive to test, and it reads the device.
-plugged in an external drive and nothing happens
-then installed the USB OTG Helper app, doesn't do anything either, says it didn't found any external to mount.
-rebooted the Note with the hard drive plugged in, nothing happened too.
-possible power supply problem, where the device didn't have enough energy to power an external device?

The guys above probably have the P605 model, the Snapdragon one, and formatted their drive to something other than NTFS, something that I can't afford to do lol. Yeah, the processor can be relevant too, because the Snapdragon Note 4 can detect and use a 512gb SD card (not microSD), whereas the Exynos version is limited to 64gb only, if I remember correctly.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

yes, any massive storage with fat32 format, can be read with this tablet, just remember that fat32 has a file size limit of 4gb

---------- Post added at 10:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 AM ----------

Rooted users should try OTG Helper ... that seems to do the trick for NTFS.

not exactl...

you need the ntfs file system drivers inside the kernel in order to read nfts hdd format