Off-Color Screen Streaking?

Search This thread

lorsoblu

Nov 8, 2009
Austin
I haven't come across anyone else talking about this... lately, I've been noticing that the screen on my Epic seems to have some sort of issue displaying grays/tans/off-whites, and I can see darkish streaks on any image that has those sort of colors.

A perfect example of this is the Tweetdeck app's gray background. I have already traded in for a new Epic from Best Buy because the screen had really obvious darkening that shouldn't be there on the left side of the screen when I used that app, and I thought it was just a bum phone.

But with this new one, I've recently noticed the same sort of streaking (no big spots like before though, just thin lines).

What's really strange is that it almost looks like it is something UNDER the screen, not an issue with the SAMOLED screen, but it only happens on those colors, so maybe it is.

I'm still going through the process of deciding if this is enough to bring it back again (it obviously doesn't hurt functionality), but has anyone else experienced this?

APOLAUF

Jun 22, 2007
Nashville, TN
If you're displaying a non-constant grayish background, positioning of the pixels in the PenTile matrix can produce unexpected patterns and even colors (the N1 could hbe coaxed into displaying a rainbow with just using white and black pixels strategically arranged.) On a steady background though, it shouldn't be a problem.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App

lorsoblu

Nov 8, 2009
Austin
If you're displaying a non-constant grayish background, positioning of the pixels in the PenTile matrix can produce unexpected patterns and even colors (the N1 could hbe coaxed into displaying a rainbow with just using white and black pixels strategically arranged.) On a steady background though, it shouldn't be a problem.

So this is just the nature of the device's screen matrix? Would the PenTile matrix's "unexpected pattern" be unique to each device? Cause it always looks the same when it comes through, as it was with the massive darkening on my old Epic.

I have to say I can sort of see it even on solid gray screens (via the Dead Pixel Detect app), but it definitely is one of those "I'm really looking for it" sort of situations. I'm not looking at solid gray screens with NOTHING on it all that often. :rolleyes:

tatoniss

Nov 20, 2008
I thought I was the only one. My second phone had it bad so I traded it in for a new one. This one seems to have it as well but not as bad. I notice it most on greys like when I pull the notification trey down. It is most apparent on the lowest brightness setting and solid colors.

APOLAUF

Jun 22, 2007
Nashville, TN
Perhaps one of you who is experiencing this can take a macro close-up and post it? You should have no irregularities on plain gray backgrounds.

lorsoblu

Nov 8, 2009
Austin
Perhaps one of you who is experiencing this can take a macro close-up and post it? You should have no irregularities on plain gray backgrounds.

The only camera I have at the moment is the Epic, but I'll see what I can do tomorrow.

It looks like I may be returning this one regardless... the screen on the left side is starting to lift out of the plastic bezel. :(

Zysoclaplem

Apr 23, 2010
I'm also having this issue with my screen. It's pretty annoying. Does anyone know if there a fix for this or is it a pure hardware issue?