[Q] Google Now reminders gone crazy for anyone else?

Search This thread

rsage

Jul 28, 2010
Starting last night, setting Google Now reminders is no longer working correctly. I'll issue a command to set a reminder at some time in the future (like "remind me to do something at 9am tomorrow"), the screen that comes up has the right date/time, then when I say "yes" to confirm, the confirmation screen that comes up has the reminder for three hours earlier than I asked for (6am). I can reproduce this 100%. This was working fine earlier in the week. If I issue a command to set up a reminder in 15 minutes from now, same thing, it gets set for three hours in the past on the final confirmation screen and says "this reminder is in the past". I'm on an unlocked Moto X, 4.4.3.

Thought it was just me, but it's now happening to my wife as well, she's on a locked Moto X (AT&T), 4.4.2.

I Googled around as much as I could and couldn't find anyone else having this specific problem. Can anyone confirm that this is/is not happening to them?

Groid

May 7, 2010
Make sure your date and time settings are set to automatic or, if not, make sure the correct date, time, and time zone are correct. I think may have a problem there. I just used google now to set an alarm in 15 minutes and set a reminder for 8:00 am tomorrow and they are both correct. (T-Mo, 4.4.3, unlocked)

Reactions: masamichi7

rsage

Jul 28, 2010
Make sure your date and time settings are set to automatic or, if not, make sure the correct date, time, and time zone are correct. I think may have a problem there. I just used google now to set an alarm in 15 minutes and set a reminder for 8:00 am tomorrow and they are both correct. (T-Mo, 4.4.3, unlocked)

That's the first thing I checked, on both affected phones, settings are correct. Thanks for the tip though. The strange thing is that the first GN screen shows the correct date/time, but the confirmation screen that comes up after you confirm the reminder has the wrong time.

scorpion667

Jul 26, 2011
Toronto
That's the first thing I checked, on both affected phones, settings are correct. Thanks for the tip though. The strange thing is that the first GN screen shows the correct date/time, but the confirmation screen that comes up after you confirm the reminder has the wrong time.

Wipe cache and data for google search under settings->apps then log back in to Google Now, see if anything changes.

I can't reproduce the behavior you described unfortunately so I have no way of troubleshooting it on my end.

Reactions: masamichi7

rsage

Jul 28, 2010
Wipe cache and data for google search under settings->apps then log back in to Google Now, see if anything changes.

I can't reproduce the behavior you described unfortunately so I have no way of troubleshooting it on my end.

Just tried it, no luck.

Another interesting find: when it asks for confirmation of the reminder date/time, if I say "yes", it sets it for three hours earlier which is then displayed on the confirmation screen. However, if I click the on-screen button to confirm the reminder date/time (instead of saying "yes"), then the alert is set for the correct time.

And again, this is happening on two different Moto X's running two different versions of Android...

sfetaz

Sep 6, 2007
If your rooted try uninstalling google search, reboot, then reinstall google search from play store.

Also check your calendar apps (stock any any 3rd party) to see if any manual time zone issues are there. Since no one else can reproduce it, its probably something on your device.

Sent from my XT1060 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

rsage

Jul 28, 2010
If your rooted try uninstalling google search, reboot, then reinstall google search from play store.

Also check your calendar apps (stock any any 3rd party) to see if any manual time zone issues are there. Since no one else can reproduce it, its probably something on your device.

Sent from my XT1060 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

I tend to agree with you, except that the same problem started affecting my wife's phone on the same day. Other than both being on AT&T, she's stock 4.4.2 and I have an unlocked DE with 4.4.3. Both using stock calendar, time zones are correct. I'll try uninstalling GS but that won't be an option for her.

Abhinav Valecha

May 8, 2012
Even worse

mine is same but worse...it sets the reminder 12:30 hrs before the mentioned time...i tried at 11:00 p.m. ..it gets set at 10:30 a.m. :crying:

Reactions: rsage

kth7

Jun 23, 2014
same here...

I have pretty much the same problem and I think I kind of understand what is happening...

Ok, when I set the reminder by voice on Google Now, say "remind me to check the oven in 20 minutes" he will do just that, until now everything is going smoothly, but then it asks me "do you want to set it?" and when I reply "yes" it reloads the screen and then, for some reason I can't understand, the clock now shows 4 hrs late... It will even show me a message "this reminder is in the past"...

So, it happens on the reload, every time it reloads the remainder's clock is set back 4 hours. If I say just "remind me in two hours" it will set the clock correctly, but as soon as it asks me "what is the reminder?" and I say "check my pizza" it will reload the clock back 4 hrs, and finally when it asks me if I want to set it and I say "yes" it reloads again and sets me back another 4 hours for a total of 8 hours...

Note that if after you ask google to set it, you just click "remind me at this time" (set it manually with your thumb) it will not reaload and therefore never get a chance to alter the time of the reminder...

It is a very weird problem.... I wonder if anyone will be able to shed some light on it.

My device is a Galaxy Nexus running android 4.3, and it is rooted.

Thanks in advance :)

Reactions: rsage

rsage

Jul 28, 2010
I have pretty much the same problem and I think I kind of understand what is happening...

Ok, when I set the reminder by voice on Google Now, say "remind me to check the oven in 20 minutes" he will do just that, until now everything is going smoothly, but then it asks me "do you want to set it?" and when I reply "yes" it reloads the screen and then, for some reason I can't understand, the clock now shows 4 hrs late... It will even show me a message "this reminder is in the past"...

So, it happens on the reload, every time it reloads the remainder's clock is set back 4 hours. If I say just "remind me in two hours" it will set the clock correctly, but as soon as it asks me "what is the reminder?" and I say "check my pizza" it will reload the clock back 4 hrs, and finally when it asks me if I want to set it and I say "yes" it reloads again and sets me back another 4 hours for a total of 8 hours...

Note that if after you ask google to set it, you just click "remind me at this time" (set it manually with your thumb) it will not reaload and therefore never get a chance to alter the time of the reminder...

It is a very weird problem.... I wonder if anyone will be able to shed some light on it.

Well, sorry it's happening to you, but I now know I'm not the only one (I was starting to question my own sanity).

Yes, what you describe is exactly what I described in the first page of this thread - confirming with voice causes the problem which is then evidenced on the reload of the confirmation screen, but confirming by clicking the on-screen button sets the time appropriately. Thanks for confirming. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to correct the problem. I reported it on the Moto X users forum on Motorola.com, but you confirmed it's not specific to the Moto X, which is useful information.

Also, this does seem to be a fairly recent problem, at least for me - this was working fine earlier last week.

Last edited:

jmckenna7

Nov 2, 2010
Same issue as well

Got the same thing happening on both my Moto X and Nexus 7. -3 hour time difference.

Abhinav Valecha

May 8, 2012
i have confirmed the same issue with Moto G...me and my friend both have this issue on X and G...the reminder sets 12 hours/12 and half hours in the past...so it seems to be a Google problem and i guess it has something to do with the time zone..

Jul 12, 2012
Me too have this problem on moto x. Mine is an Indian one.

When i say - remind me to check game in 20 mins, lets say the time is 7 40 pm, it displays correctly the time as 8 00 pm.. But when i say yes as confirmation, the page reloads with time as 7 20 am.

Tried with time setting as network and manual time.. Both has this issue.. :confused:

Sent from my XT1052 using XDA Free mobile app

Groid

May 7, 2010
I was able to create the problem with the voice confirmation of a reminder. My reminders step back one hour. I'm in the Mountain time zone, so it resets my time to Pacific time. If you are in Central time do you reset 2 hours? East time zone resetting 3 hours?

Edit: 'Set alarm for 1 pm today' works fine. It looks like just the reminders are messed up.

Last edited:

kth7

Jun 23, 2014
problem is...

Yes, the time is "set back" only once it reloads, and every time "google voice" has to reload it is "set back" again.

To me it is clear it is a google problem, likely a problem in the integration between "google voice" and "google calendar". Maybe?

---------- Post added at 04:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:24 PM ----------

I was able to create the problem with the voice confirmation of a reminder. My reminders step back one hour. I'm in the Mountain time zone,
so it resets my time to Pacific time. If you are in Central time do you reset 2 hours? East time zone resetting 3 hours?

UTC -3 here and the time is reset 4 hours.

And yes, the problem occurs after voice confirmation, but more precisely after google now refreshes the page.

samunique500

Oct 7, 2010
Exact same issue

I believe this is a Google now issue and not specific to the device model.
I tested it out on my brother's Moto-X and also on two other Nexus 5 phones and the result was same, the reminder was set back by 12 hours and got set in the past.

From India, GMT +5:30.

Hopefully google resolves this bug soon.

paul4usc

Jun 24, 2014
It's also happening on my Galaxy S5. I have to add 3 hours to any spoken reminder request (EDT). Hopefully it gets resolved soon.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Same Issue

I have the same issue, reminder is getting set 3 hours prior to the time I specified.
    Even worse

mine is same but worse...it sets the reminder 12:30 hrs before the mentioned time...i tried at 11:00 p.m. ..it gets set at 10:30 a.m. :crying:
    same here...