Where are the webOS users?

Search This thread

jsgraphicart

Nov 25, 2011
OnePlus 7T
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Does anyone in this forum actually use webOS or is everyone just using Android on their Touchpad? I just got my Touchpad yesterday so I havent been around these forums much until now. I just see everyone talking about Cyanogenmod and everything else that has to do with Android. I would like to start some webOS talk if anyone is interested.

orangekid

Sr. Mod / Mod Committee / RC-RT Committee
Staff member
Apr 10, 2009
Does anyone in this forum actually use webOS or is everyone just using Android on their Touchpad? I just got my Touchpad yesterday so I havent been around these forums much until now. I just see everyone talking about Cyanogenmod and everything else that has to do with Android. I would like to start some webOS talk if anyone is interested.

The problem with WebOS is that it has been discontinued, is not as versatile as Android, and has like no apps compared with Android.

I have used both on the touchpad, and I can guarantee you if you flashed CM9 and dual-booted both OS's for one day each, you'd stick to Android after that.

There's not a whole lot to talk about WebOS, it's nice, but it's obsolete.

Reactions: badfelafel

ace9988

Dec 15, 2010
Dark Side of the Moon
videos are a bit hopeless on quite a few versions of android, so i stick with WebOS for watching movies and stuff via VPN, internet is a grey area, sometimes i prefer when webOS just works as opposed to android browser throwing a fit.
apps.....yh android is 100 times better now that we have ICS

jsgraphicart

Nov 25, 2011
OnePlus 7T
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I love the webOS UI. I have an android phone and used to have a webOS phone so I am familiar with both. I agree android has more apps which makes it more usable with most people. But webOS does a better job with how things look and feel in my opinion. I will be installing cm9 on it tonight but will still use both operating systems for different things. I'm hoping with webOS going open source we will see both these operating systems grow with eachother.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

quarlow

Feb 6, 2008
Tooele, UT
I used webOS exclusively until ICS. At least webOS was tablet optimized. CM7 was unbearable to me. webOS is intuitive, stable, snappy, and smooth. The default browser in webOS renders well and handles flash great. Advanced browser added some nice features.

You will find a lot more talk of people using the TouchPad on webOS at webOS nation, formerly precentral. They also have a lot more guides about webOS optimization, like over clocking, preware, and more. XDA is dominated by android, so it makes sense most of the users here run ICS. I have a brother in law that bought a TouchPad at full price before the fire sale. He loves it and webOS, he didn't know you could put Android on it.

To me it comes down to use. I use my tablet for almost 90% web browsing. On GB web browsing was terrible. But ICS brings solid web browsing that I feel is faster than the webOS browser. Then while I'm in there I get to plug into my Google stuff easier.

Sent from my Galaxy S II (i777)

jsgraphicart

Nov 25, 2011
OnePlus 7T
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I used webOS exclusively until ICS. At least webOS was tablet optimized. CM7 was unbearable to me. webOS is intuitive, stable, snappy, and smooth. The default browser in webOS renders well and handles flash great. Advanced browser added some nice features.

You will find a lot more talk of people using the TouchPad on webOS at webOS nation, formerly precentral. They also have a lot more guides about webOS optimization, like over clocking, preware, and more. XDA is dominated by android, so it makes sense most of the users here run ICS. I have a brother in law that bought a TouchPad at full price before the fire sale. He loves it and webOS, he didn't know you could put Android on it.

To me it comes down to use. I use my tablet for almost 90% web browsing. On GB web browsing was terrible. But ICS brings solid web browsing that I feel is faster than the webOS browser. Then while I'm in there I get to plug into my Google stuff easier.

Thanks for your opinion. I am a member of webOS Nation too. I'm just over here more since I have a Droid X2. I think a lot of users have left the forums over there too, sadly. I guess I'll be jumping back and forth. :)

Camille68

Apr 23, 2011
I purchased my Touchpad during the initial fire sale, with the goal of installing Android on it. I found that I actually like WebOS, so I never installed Android and don't plan on it at this point. I don't care that there are not as many apps on WebOS as there are on Android. I have an Android phone and Galaxy Tab, and don't have very many apps installed on either one of those either. I like how smooth and intuitive that WebOS is, and I love it's interface. So, WebOS is a keeper for me.

If I ever feel like I absolutely have to have an ICS device, then I'll just go out and purchase one with the OS already installed on it (provided that it's a decent price).

orangekid

Sr. Mod / Mod Committee / RC-RT Committee
Staff member
Apr 10, 2009
videos are a bit hopeless on quite a few versions of android, so i stick with WebOS for watching movies and stuff via VPN, internet is a grey area, sometimes i prefer when webOS just works as opposed to android browser throwing a fit.

HW acceleration works now on CM9 so videos should not be choppy (none of mine are, netflix works 100% great and so does YouTube HD)

I love the webOS UI. I have an android phone and used to have a webOS phone so I am familiar with both. I agree android has more apps which makes it more usable with most people. But webOS does a better job with how things look and feel in my opinion. I will be installing cm9 on it tonight but will still use both operating systems for different things. I'm hoping with webOS going open source we will see both these operating systems grow with eachother.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

that's the thing, only one of those operating systems is going to "grow"

I get that WebOS is open source now, but the difference is that Google is still making new versions of Android, but NO ONE is making new versions of WebOS, so it is just a losing proposition.

jsgraphicart

Nov 25, 2011
OnePlus 7T
Google Pixel 7 Pro
that's the thing, only one of those operating systems is going to "grow"

I get that WebOS is open source now, but the difference is that Google is still making new versions of Android, but NO ONE is making new versions of WebOS, so it is just a losing proposition.

webOS isnt even fully open source yet. No one can really do anything with what HP has given them so far. But once developers get a hold of a fully open source product, only time will tell if we will see another "version of webOS" or big improvements on what is already there. Im just being optimistic about the whole open source thing and hoping to see SOME good come out of it. I will have Android on my device as well for future development on the Android side of things.

Rolfsted

Sep 28, 2011
Illinois
I too have been an Android convert since my wife got the G1 from T mobile several years ago. Then I went to the Droid X. Then a galaxy tab 7 and now a Razr.

I wanted a larger tablet and saw the price of iPad and others and thought I would just keep what I had. When I read that the touchpad could run android and they were just $200 a few months ago, I bought 3. Then sold one, gave one as a gift and kept one.

I really like webOS. I use it for just surfing, email and the front facing camera works with Skype. Ics still has no ffc. So with webOS it doesn't matter.

I think the touchpad is one of the best tablets out there. You have the great feel of webOS on one side and the flasoholics dream on the other.

Sent from my DROIDRAZR using XDA

dung8604

Sep 8, 2010
So I bought my tp about a week ago, and played with webOS for about two hours before/while installing android on it. I laugh at anyone who wants to "remove" webOS from this tablet. It is a fantastic operating system. But you have to admit, android's app selection is a huge, huge pro to installing ics. Whether you care or not is irrelevant. Both OS's are solid and stable, both have their pros and cons. I can see myself using webOS 100% of the time if their app selection half way caught up with android. As it is, webOS is a very nice alternative if your android is bugging out for whatever reason, and android is a nice alternative if you want more apps than webOS offers.

Hopefully, the open sourcing of webOS will give a huge boost to the dev community, for both OS's. Imagine having webOS with a ton of mods and customizations and apps, while having android with flawless wifi and camera. I would love to see that happen. Then we would literally have the best tablet available!

Reactions: jsgraphicart

alzest

Oct 31, 2011

The reason why you see everyone here talking about android and cyanogenmod is because you are in an predominantly android forum. Its like asking where the apple users have gone in a Linux forum...you can try webosnation forums for webos related stuff and chat

Hate my sig.

muyoso

Oct 23, 2007
How anyone can stand the WebOS browser is beyond me. Absolute garbage. I couldn't flash Android fast enough.

ncinerate

Oct 18, 2011
I used webOS for as long as it was reasonable to do so - but CM9 is clearly a better choice for almost anyone. I tweaked and fiddled and played with webOS to get the most seamless experience possible, spending a TON of time on it, and in the end it's just a ton of effort expended to bring the device up to "adequate". Most of the fixes and tweaks etc that I recommended should have been baked into the code for webOS -years- ago. It's really a shame how hard they dropped the ball - and this is coming from someone who's been a webOS convert since I bought my very first pre- on launch day and has put up with all the negatives. SOOOOOO much promise, massive failure to deliver. I can't help but feel like even the open-source effort is a bit slow and stalling, and the timeline on this is doing nothing but sending experienced devs who -were- webOS faithful on to other devices.

As it sits, the touchpad running CM9 is one of the most capable ICS-equipped tablets on the market. It's a beast in terms of CPU, graphics, screen, etc. The newest nightlies run beautifully. I can't see any reason why a TP owner wouldn't want CM9 installed on their touchpad. Even if you still use webOS (I do from time to time), having CM9 on there is a no-brainer. 20 seconds and you've rebooted into CM9 ready to use it's vast array of apps, enjoy a much more capable web browsing experience, and generally massively improve the usefulness of your tablet. There's no downside.

That's why the webOS users are a bit sparse, and that's a trend I only see continuing.

Last edited:

byanto88

Apr 24, 2012
AUH
Just landed into this forum after get the link from Google, shows that Touchpad was heavily installed with Android in it (mostly CM9?).

Currently I'm using only WebOS on my Touchpad, not yet try to install CM9 on it. Only have 16GB version. Previous day have a plan to get 32GB version, so I can install CM9 on it, but now changes a plan a little bit for it.
Meanwhile, I try to keep watching the progress on this forum, about Android usage on Touchpad. If someday I will install CM9 on it, it should be dual-boot. Hopefully after WebOS become open source fully, like Android, many apps appears for it.

quarlow

Feb 6, 2008
Tooele, UT
I never run into space issues running webOS and CM9 on a 16 GB. I see it as a cloud based device. Without an internet connection I wouldn't use it. I stream everything, so I don't store any content on it. Loaded with apps, I still have more than half the system partition free, and like 2/3 the storage space free.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I used webOS for as long as it was reasonable to do so - but CM9 is clearly a better choice for almost anyone. I tweaked and fiddled and played with webOS to get the most seamless experience possible, spending a TON of time on it, and in the end it's just a ton of effort expended to bring the device up to "adequate". Most of the fixes and tweaks etc that I recommended should have been baked into the code for webOS -years- ago. It's really a shame how hard they dropped the ball - and this is coming from someone who's been a webOS convert since I bought my very first pre- on launch day and has put up with all the negatives. SOOOOOO much promise, massive failure to deliver. I can't help but feel like even the open-source effort is a bit slow and stalling, and the timeline on this is doing nothing but sending experienced devs who -were- webOS faithful on to other devices.

As it sits, the touchpad running CM9 is one of the most capable ICS-equipped tablets on the market. It's a beast in terms of CPU, graphics, screen, etc. The newest nightlies run beautifully. I can't see any reason why a TP owner wouldn't want CM9 installed on their touchpad. Even if you still use webOS (I do from time to time), having CM9 on there is a no-brainer. 20 seconds and you've rebooted into CM9 ready to use it's vast array of apps, enjoy a much more capable web browsing experience, and generally massively improve the usefulness of your tablet. There's no downside.

That's why the webOS users are a bit sparse, and that's a trend I only see continuing.

The problem with WebOS is that it has been discontinued, is not as versatile as Android, and has like no apps compared with Android.

I have used both on the touchpad, and I can guarantee you if you flashed CM9 and dual-booted both OS's for one day each, you'd stick to Android after that.

There's not a whole lot to talk about WebOS, it's nice, but it's obsolete.
    I purchased my Touchpad during the initial fire sale, with the goal of installing Android on it. I found that I actually like WebOS, so I never installed Android and don't plan on it at this point. I don't care that there are not as many apps on WebOS as there are on Android. I have an Android phone and Galaxy Tab, and don't have very many apps installed on either one of those either. I like how smooth and intuitive that WebOS is, and I love it's interface. So, WebOS is a keeper for me.

If I ever feel like I absolutely have to have an ICS device, then I'll just go out and purchase one with the OS already installed on it (provided that it's a decent price).