Where are the webOS users?

Search This thread

savage24x

Jul 5, 2011
I prefer WebOS with the nice design and flowing interface. Swipe up on a card to kill an app is the best mulitasking I've ever seen. You can see your processes and kill them/rearrange them as you wish. I have not seen multitasking simpler than that. Plus it is very easy to overclock and get tweaks. The only downside is apps, but I mostly use it for a mobile office.

Sent from my R800x using XDA

jsgraphicart

Nov 25, 2011
OnePlus 7T
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I dont know why people dont develop for webOS. Apparently its the easiest OS to develop for since its all based on the same stuff used to build web sites (hence, the name webOS). I understand "why develop for an OS that no one uses, blah blah blah." But at the same time, no one will use it if no one develops for it. Just think how many TouchPads are out there now. Wether people are running android on it or not, a lot of people have a webOS device now. Get the apps on there, spred the word and people will try it out more and discover how great the OS is. Hopefully when webOS becomes fully open source, someone will take it upon themselves to start porting apps over. Its just a wait and see game right now.

While we are on the subject of webOS development, there is a new app called Apollo in the app catalog that is basically Pandora for webOS. It is SO much better than the Android Pandora. Check it out if you havent already.

eyeb

Mar 6, 2011
I'm waiting for someone to figure out how to get webos to install android apk files, like how blackberry playbook can :S lol

I'd be tempted to trade the touchpad for a playbook but i dont like it's screen size

Moshe5368

Mar 21, 2011
Fulton, MS
webOS

I use webOS as a daily driver. I have been a webOS fan since the palm days and continue to use it today. True multi tasking and the ability to view flash media sites without issues as well as solid WiFi connectivity anywhere, anytime is a big plus for me. Lest someone tell me to try android, I have been using android builds since donut and have Classicnerd ICS installed on my touchpad but I still use webOS as my primary operating system. There are things that android can do better than webOS but the reverse is also true. I don't really have to have cutting edge software on my tablet. I need a tablet that just works. Those that are familiar with webOS know that there are webOS apps to handle most any task we might have.
Most people bought the touchpad during the firesale in order to put android on it. I purchased the touchpad to run webOS and have not found a reason to change my mind. I'm a small business owner and was able to run my business for over a year using the touchpad and webOS with very few issues, most of them with not having the ability to receive faxes. I ran my accounting software, databases, and invoices with the touchpad and a wireless printer. ICS is nice and android offers many more apps than webOS but most people only have about 35 core apps that they use on a regular basis. Webos meets my needs for a tablet, at present. If I find the need for an android tablet, I will probably pick up a transformer prime. Until then, webOS just works, and works well.

Divine_Madcat

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 9, 2005
USA
I prefer WebOS with the nice design and flowing interface. Swipe up on a card to kill an app is the best mulitasking I've ever seen. You can see your processes and kill them/rearrange them as you wish. I have not seen multitasking simpler than that. Plus it is very easy to overclock and get tweaks. The only downside is apps, but I mostly use it for a mobile office.

Sent from my R800x using XDA

I am guessing you haven't see CM9 then? With one touch of a button, you see EVERY user app running, and can swipe it off to kill it. No need to cycle through cards to find the right one to kill, its all right there. Much better than webOS.

smalmagal

Mar 3, 2012
I busted out my ol' Touchpad a few hours ago...haven't touched it in many months since I got my Galaxy Note.

Anyway, WebOS has zero advantages. It's crazy simple/ugly UI/EXTREMELY limited apps/nearly non-customizable/and just wasted space honestly...in it's current iteration anyway. I mean what the **** is with the homescreen if you can't do anything with it! It's a joke. The swiping cards thing is beyond annoying, and this is apparently the only really selling point WebOS enthusiasts have in their arsenal of "it's the best OS." Give me a break! Install the newest AOKP on your Touchpad, and tell me WebOS has ANYTHING on Android.

mountaindewmi

May 17, 2010
Miami, FL
Install the newest AOKP on your Touchpad, and tell me WebOS has ANYTHING on Android.

How about battery life, mic, picture and video camera, and no hassle wifi?

Sure it isn't for everyone and I use mainly my CM9 OS but that doesn't mean webOS doesn't have it's pros. It isn't for everyone, but you can theme it and patch it to your liking. The only thing I wish it had was quick access widgets like news/time/weather/music so you don't have to open an app to get the info.

Divine_Madcat

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 9, 2005
USA
Battery Life is just fine for me (i make it through the day, charge at night), my wifi is no hassle (not to mention, people report problems with webOS too) And the camera is so pathetic that skype friends have told me not to bother with it any more.

So no, webOS really has no advantages..

cl8

Apr 29, 2012
The problem with WebOS for me is the lack of apps, it's a really nice OS, but without apps it's as good as useless.

}{Alienz}{

Jul 22, 2010
Colorado
OnePlus 9 Pro
I basically only use WebOS on my Touchpad. Why?

-CM9 is laggy compared to WebOS
-Camera & mic. I almost ONLY use a tablet for Skype video-calling. Camera on CM9 is kaput

I switch to CM9 when I have friends over and they wanna game on the tablet. Otherwise my SGSII is better for mobile gaming. Also use CM9 for office tasks such as editing Word Documents (that's rare though). I have the bluetooth keyboard to go with it.

Last edited:

MikeCriggs

Recognized Dev / Inactive Recognized Contributor
Dec 24, 2010
Catskills, NY
twitter.com
Sadly, the development on WebOS doesn't compare to Android app-wise. I remember when I got my Palm Pre Plus a couple years back, I loved it. I've long since switched to Android. Occasionally, I like to boot into WebOS on my Touchpad and reminisce, but I just can't stay off Android.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Skripka

Dec 17, 2011
Postulo forklift ad portandum iste
Finally flashed latest cm9 on my Touchpad yesterday after using WebOS since the initial firesale. I feel like I have a new tablet TBH, even with WebOS and its plethora of published tweaks to fix HP's handiwork.

In addition, way more apps...and they work like they should...unlike HP's catalogue of apps, where 60% or more of the apps are written with only phones in mind and don't maximize properly.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I used webOS exclusively until ICS. At least webOS was tablet optimized. CM7 was unbearable to me. webOS is intuitive, stable, snappy, and smooth. The default browser in webOS renders well and handles flash great. Advanced browser added some nice features.

You will find a lot more talk of people using the TouchPad on webOS at webOS nation, formerly precentral. They also have a lot more guides about webOS optimization, like over clocking, preware, and more. XDA is dominated by android, so it makes sense most of the users here run ICS. I have a brother in law that bought a TouchPad at full price before the fire sale. He loves it and webOS, he didn't know you could put Android on it.

To me it comes down to use. I use my tablet for almost 90% web browsing. On GB web browsing was terrible. But ICS brings solid web browsing that I feel is faster than the webOS browser. Then while I'm in there I get to plug into my Google stuff easier.

Sent from my Galaxy S II (i777)
    I used webOS for as long as it was reasonable to do so - but CM9 is clearly a better choice for almost anyone. I tweaked and fiddled and played with webOS to get the most seamless experience possible, spending a TON of time on it, and in the end it's just a ton of effort expended to bring the device up to "adequate". Most of the fixes and tweaks etc that I recommended should have been baked into the code for webOS -years- ago. It's really a shame how hard they dropped the ball - and this is coming from someone who's been a webOS convert since I bought my very first pre- on launch day and has put up with all the negatives. SOOOOOO much promise, massive failure to deliver. I can't help but feel like even the open-source effort is a bit slow and stalling, and the timeline on this is doing nothing but sending experienced devs who -were- webOS faithful on to other devices.

As it sits, the touchpad running CM9 is one of the most capable ICS-equipped tablets on the market. It's a beast in terms of CPU, graphics, screen, etc. The newest nightlies run beautifully. I can't see any reason why a TP owner wouldn't want CM9 installed on their touchpad. Even if you still use webOS (I do from time to time), having CM9 on there is a no-brainer. 20 seconds and you've rebooted into CM9 ready to use it's vast array of apps, enjoy a much more capable web browsing experience, and generally massively improve the usefulness of your tablet. There's no downside.

That's why the webOS users are a bit sparse, and that's a trend I only see continuing.
    Does anyone in this forum actually use webOS or is everyone just using Android on their Touchpad? I just got my Touchpad yesterday so I havent been around these forums much until now. I just see everyone talking about Cyanogenmod and everything else that has to do with Android. I would like to start some webOS talk if anyone is interested.

The problem with WebOS is that it has been discontinued, is not as versatile as Android, and has like no apps compared with Android.

I have used both on the touchpad, and I can guarantee you if you flashed CM9 and dual-booted both OS's for one day each, you'd stick to Android after that.

There's not a whole lot to talk about WebOS, it's nice, but it's obsolete.
    videos are a bit hopeless on quite a few versions of android, so i stick with WebOS for watching movies and stuff via VPN, internet is a grey area, sometimes i prefer when webOS just works as opposed to android browser throwing a fit.
    apps.....yh android is 100 times better now that we have ICS
    I purchased my Touchpad during the initial fire sale, with the goal of installing Android on it. I found that I actually like WebOS, so I never installed Android and don't plan on it at this point. I don't care that there are not as many apps on WebOS as there are on Android. I have an Android phone and Galaxy Tab, and don't have very many apps installed on either one of those either. I like how smooth and intuitive that WebOS is, and I love it's interface. So, WebOS is a keeper for me.

If I ever feel like I absolutely have to have an ICS device, then I'll just go out and purchase one with the OS already installed on it (provided that it's a decent price).