★ Saving battery life in areas with no coverage? ★

Search This thread

BrUhNiGGs

Oct 23, 2011
Bay Area, CA
This has been a long time problem for me every since the OG Droid days. I go to school, 5 days a week, 8 hours a day, and at the end of the day its at 30% due to the sh*tty reception at my school. I've tried multiple things such as installing JuiceDefender (currently still using), DS Battery Saver, etc...to have data turned off as well as wifi when the phone is idle. If I keep my phone idle for lets say, 2 hours its already at 70-80% whereas if I do the same at my house with full 4g coverage and turning off data when not in use/wifi, its in the 90% range. Can anyone tell me as to what I can do to achieve that I am supposed to get with these apps other than turning on airplane mode?

Note: I have betterbatterystats to check for wakelocks and there seems to be none.

Last edited:

BadUsername

Mar 20, 2013
This has been a long time problem for me every since the OG Droid days. I go to school, 5 days a week, 8 hours a day, and at the end of the day its at 30% due to the sh*tty reception at my school. I've tried multiple things such as installing JuiceDefender (currently still using), DS Battery Saver, etc...to have data turned off as well as wifi when the phone is idle. If I keep my phone idle for lets say, 2 hours its already at 70-80% whereas if I do the same at my house with full 4g coverage and turning off data when not in use/wifi, its in the 90% range. Can anyone tell me as to what I can do to achieve that I am supposed to get with these apps other than turning on airplane mode?

Note: I have betterbatterystats to check for wakelocks and there seems to be none.

I have the same problem, luckily this only happens inside particular buildings for me, but airplane mode is the only thing that will work.

Juice defender manages your data connection, this is different, it shows under better battery stats as "no data connection" only thing you can do is try different radios, maybe mb1 would work better over mf1 or vice versa.

Also if you're running an AOSP rom, switching to touchwiz might help you significantly.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

BrUhNiGGs

Oct 23, 2011
Bay Area, CA
I have the same problem, luckily this only happens inside particular buildings for me, but airplane mode is the only thing that will work.

Juice defender manages your data connection, this is different, it shows under better battery stats as "no data connection" only thing you can do is try different radios, maybe mb1 would work better over mf1 or vice versa.

Also if you're running an AOSP rom, switching to touchwiz might help you significantly.

I am on touchwiz because of good stability and generally better battery life but it doesn't apply to when I'm in areas with poor reception. The thing I hate about airplane mode is either I forget, and I can't receive calls or anything unless I remember to turn it back off

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

BadUsername

Mar 20, 2013
I am on touchwiz because of good stability and generally better battery life but it doesn't apply to when I'm in areas with poor reception. The thing I hate about airplane mode is either I forget, and I can't receive calls or anything unless I remember to turn it back off

It is annoying, you'd make a lot of money developing an app that automatically toggled airplane mode in areas of poor signal and off in areas of good signal. I'd buy it.

Touchwiz and radio change is all you can really do.

joekiv

Mar 19, 2013
Yonkers, NY

Using GeoFencing in NFC Task Launcher, could provide a possible solution, at least when you're at school. Use it to automatically turn on Airplane Mode when you arrive and turn it off when you leave.

Wh1t3Rose

Go grab Tasker. You will thank me later. You can set up a task to turn on airplane mode based on location . So when you arrive at school you go in airplane mode. You could then add another event to turn off airplane mode at specific intervals like lunch time and when school ends. Or even every 2 hours to receive email and text messages. I don't think you could turn airplane mode back off based on location (when you leave school) since you would need GPS but you can set it for the time that school ends (I.e 3:00)

BrUhNiGGs

Oct 23, 2011
Bay Area, CA
Go grab Tasker. You will thank me later. You can set up a task to turn on airplane mode based on location . So when you arrive at school you go in airplane mode. You could then add another event to turn off airplane mode at specific intervals like lunch time and when school ends. Or even every 2 hours to receive email and text messages. I don't think you could turn airplane mode back off based on location (when you leave school) since you would need GPS but you can set it for the time that school ends (I.e 3:00)

Thanks I will try that app. Always passed that by in the play store because I never knew what it was :p

insanulous

Aug 2, 2012
Thanks I will try that app. Always passed that by in the play store because I never knew what it was :p

Tasker I agree is brilliant. I also use it for school. I didn't set it based on location though. Instead, I have it set to signal strength between 0,1 and then i give it a 2min delay and then turn on airplane mode while keeping wifi on. Then wait 30min and then disable airplane mode so it can check for signal strength. If it is still bad, keep it in airplane mode; otherwise jump back to the step where you go to airplane mode. It works miracles for my battery.

Wh1t3Rose

You are welcome. It does have a learning curve. There's plenty of guides to using the app. In fact you can go to their website via the app and they have a list of probably a hundred different preconfigured tasks to download and import. So what you looking for may already have been made and you can just download it from the wiki.

joekiv

Mar 19, 2013
Yonkers, NY

Why wouldn't GPS be available. He said he had a weak phone signal, which has nothing at all to do with the GPS. Also why spend $6.99 for Tasker when you can do the same thing with NFC Task Manger without the steep learning curve that comes with Tasker.

Last edited:

Wh1t3Rose

Why wouldn't GPS be available. He said he had a weak phone signal, which has nothing at all to do with the GPS

I don't use GPS much so I may be wrong. But once he put his phone in airplane mode GPS would be disabled. Also you can do literally hundreds of other things with tasker. He may find other uses for the app

Last edited:
Reactions: BadUsername

BadUsername

Mar 20, 2013
I don't use GPS much so I may be wrong. But once he put his phone in airplane mode GPS would be disabled. Also you can do literally hundreds of other things with tasker. He may find other uses for the app

I didn't even think about using tasker for this! Genius, I think I'll set that up for myself.

Reactions: Wh1t3Rose

joekiv

Mar 19, 2013
Yonkers, NY

You're not wrong some phones do turn off GPS in Airplane mode. However, when you enter location you set up NFC Task Launcher to 1. Turn on Airplane mode 2. Turn on GPS. When leaving: 1. Turn off Airplane Mode. Pretty straight forward.

Wh1t3Rose

You're not wrong some phones do turn off GPS in Airplane mode. However, when you enter location you set up NFC Task Launcher to 1. Turn on Airplane mode 2. Turn on GPS. When leaving: 1. Turn off Airplane Mode. Pretty straight forward.

Well each man to their own I guess. I already have tasker so I'll keep that :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Why wouldn't GPS be available. He said he had a weak phone signal, which has nothing at all to do with the GPS

I didn't even think about using tasker for this! Genius, I think I'll set that up for myself.