Does anyone know how to unbrick the CDMA Hero?

Search This thread

jmhalder

Mar 26, 2008
illinois
Oh, wait, what? You flashed the RUU as a recovery image? That phone is screwed, man. I hope you have Asurion, cause that phone is ****ed and Sprint won't take it back as it's been hacked.
you can still use the RUU without a functional recovery i believe...

guys if you dont know what something is, you probably should just leave your phone unplugged from your computer. or just stay out of recovery mode, lol.

jmhalder

Mar 26, 2008
illinois
No, what I mean is he zipped and signed the RUU and flashed it as an update.zip o_O
sure, I get that, or he just flashed as a recovery... dont think a exe, zipped and signed would even flash, since it needs a XML file to point to filesystem images and whatnot... either way, as long as you can boot the SPL, cant you RUU?

m3g4hur7z

May 8, 2010
Same boat, replace.. No worries?

No red flag for no boot at all right? Same issue being amber LED while plugged-in(after battery pull), no resets, nothing after power button.

It turns out I loaded the HARD SML(bootloader) "update.zip" before the RC29 update(downgrade for root exploit) which should have been first. I did NOT install the RC29 downgrade though, just SML.

->......from hxxp://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=563679

This is the only flash I made after using FlashRec for recovery-RA-heroc-v1.5.2.img, would this cause a BRICK? It must have, I didn't touch anything GSM or even radio related yet, however I'm stuck driving to Sprint tek.

The tech's won't look into this much correct? You can't boot to even see the bootloader or anything at all, so there's nothing to prove it's bricked from hacking. It could have been very easily a transistor fail or voltage leak internally for all they know. Right?

Ryoma Echizen

May 6, 2010
so when attempting to get the download file for the Eclair 2.1v1.5 rom it stated that the radio posted is recommended. Prior to flashing the radio i did a nandroid backup and then I flashed the radio. During the flash screen (open box to phone image) it blacked out after about 20 seconds.

DO NOT EVER UPDATE THE RADIO:mad:! I have had my phone bricked by the same radio you're talking about, from the same site. If you want a 2.1 rom, 1. Don't update the radio, it's only trouble, and 2. Go to theunlockr.com or search the forum for the damagecontrol 2.1 rom. If you don't want to root, there is an official leak on the Sprint website. Plus the radio updates usually screw up reception. Also, flashing a gsm hero rom won't work, in the flashing process, there will be an reoccurring error that says something about the update package being 'bad,' which means the rom isn't compatible for your phone. Also, never experiment with the roms unless you know what your'e doing. BE PATIENT, AND NEVER FLASH SOMETHING IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT IT IS, WHAT IT DOES, OR THE REQUIREMENTS OF FLASHING, AND THE POSSIBLE RISK THAT FLASHING SOME ROMS ARE DEEMED UNSTABLE ON THE THREAD, AND YOU FLASH AT YOUR OWN RISK:mad:. I would only recommend only flashing stable roms that are not still being tested, unless you can afford the $100 insurance deductible or the $400 no contract purchase cost. :(

(PS: Sprint let me off the hook when my phone got bricked and gave me a new one free:D, but I have been extra careful since then, and you will need to do the same. Remember, NEVER UPDATE THE RADIO! IT IS ONLY TROUBLE AND A RISK YOU DON'T NEED TO TAKE!)

abcdfv

Dec 13, 2009
Wilmington, NC
DO NOT EVER UPDATE THE RADIO:mad:! I have had my phone bricked by the same radio you're talking about, from the same site. If you want a 2.1 rom, 1. Don't update the radio, it's only trouble, and 2. Go to theunlockr.com or search the forum for the damagecontrol 2.1 rom. If you don't want to root, there is an official leak on the Sprint website. Plus the radio updates usually screw up reception. Also, flashing a gsm hero rom won't work, in the flashing process, there will be an reoccurring error that says something about the update package being 'bad,' which means the rom isn't compatible for your phone. Also, never experiment with the roms unless you know what your'e doing. BE PATIENT, AND NEVER FLASH SOMETHING IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT IT IS, WHAT IT DOES, OR THE REQUIREMENTS OF FLASHING, AND THE POSSIBLE RISK THAT FLASHING SOME ROMS ARE DEEMED UNSTABLE ON THE THREAD, AND YOU FLASH AT YOUR OWN RISK:mad:. I would only recommend only flashing stable roms that are not still being tested, unless you can afford the $100 insurance deductible or the $400 no contract purchase cost. :(

(PS: Sprint let me off the hook when my phone got bricked and gave me a new one free:D, but I have been extra careful since then, and you will need to do the same. Remember, NEVER UPDATE THE RADIO! IT IS ONLY TROUBLE AND A RISK YOU DON'T NEED TO TAKE!)

TL;DR:
If you go "I wonder what this does," don't screw with it.

I have to disagree about the radio flashes though. As long as you don't flash a GSM Radio, and follow the instructions, you'll be fine. Personally, using the new Radio from the 2.1 RUU (Yes, the RUU does re-flash the /radio, so saying don't flash a radio do an RUU is hypocritical. Ah semantics.) I get around -75dBm where as my girlfriend using the stock radio gets betwen -80 and -85dBm.

tkirton

Jul 13, 2009
Katy Texas
www.darktremor.info
That's incorrect. If that was the case, nobody would be bricking their phones on GSM roms.

If the rom doesn't have the following line in update-script:
assert getprop("ro.product.device") == "heroc"

This line does a comparison of the ro.product.device to the condition on the right. In our case, if the ro.product.device == heroc (which will in our phone), the package will begin the flashing process. If any other phone attempts to flash this package, they will fail with an error immediately (an assertion failure).

You can build a package without this line in there (Darktremor A2SD doesn't have this line in there). If a Hero GSM rom doesn't have that line identifying that devices named hero (not heroc) can use the rom, then the update-script will blindly flash the rom.

That goes to show how easy it is to prevent someone from flashing the wrong Rom. Most of the Hero CDMA roms have this assertion line. Eris roms (at least the ones I've actually broken down) don't incorporate this line (their device is "desirec"). It's easy, yet I don't see many developers outside our group doing that.

Also, flashing a gsm hero rom won't work, in the flashing process, there will be an reoccurring error that says something about the update package being 'bad,' which means the rom isn't compatible for your phone.

Ryoma Echizen

May 6, 2010
i've never heard of a bricked CDMA hero... but i guess flashing a GSM radio would do the trick

ok i searched and this may be the FIRST EVER bricked CDMA htc hero!

correct me if i'm wrong but i couldn't find anything on google about this.

maybe we should sticky this, or delete that link to the gsm rom so this doesn't happen again?

This has happened to me as well, and I went to the store, and incredibly, they gave me a new device for free??? :D:eek::D
Why don't you take it in to the store, see what happens?

rejectedkid

Nov 18, 2009
Corpus Christi
I'm glad to hear you got your phone replaced. I don't understand how you couldn't boot into any mode that would allow you to fix this. But I don't mess with radios whatsoever.

He could boot up because the gsm radio he flashed fried the circuit board. The gsm radios request more power and in return fried his phone.
-------------------------------------
Sent via the XDA Tapatalk App

rejectedkid

Nov 18, 2009
Corpus Christi
I am ****ting it after i read this whole topic... i now don't even want to try to root my phone at all, I'm that scared of it probably getting bricked... :(

If you read you will and follow directions you will never have any problems
-------------------------------------
Sent via the XDA Tapatalk App

Ryoma Echizen

May 6, 2010
Sorry bout this post guys. I was just starting out and was a n00b when it came to radios. However, I did get an error when I tried to flash a GSM rom, probably a bad download that saved my hero. When I tried a GSM radio, the phone blacked out after about 20 seconds like in this post.

But 1 question; what's dBm? I am running Cyanogen mod 6.0.0, and have a setting that let's me se my dBm in the notifications bar, but I don't know what it means. (I assume it is related to the radio data transmission rate, though I could be wrong.)

Sent from my HERO200 using XDA App powered by Tapatalk

theimpaler747

Retired Forum Mod / Retired Recognized Developer
so when attempting to get the download file for the Eclair 2.1v1.5 rom it stated that the radio posted is recommended. Prior to flashing the radio i did a nandroid backup and then I flashed the radio. During the flash screen (open box to phone image) it blacked out after about 20 seconds.

That's why... incorrect radio flash will brick a phone, and this is not a CDMA hero radio... sorry about that :(

ac1dslayer

Sep 6, 2010
if you guys have the dev on did you try to dial in and reboot to recovery? i've flashed lots of stuff that shut my phone down.... dialed in via term reboot recovery wipe good to go :D