[Q] Device bricked after trying to change ROM

Search This thread

inasm

Jul 17, 2013
I just bricked my galaxy nexus by trying to install Shiny ROM. I've got a (europe) maguro galaxy nexus which ran PA before, but I wanted to update as it became extremely slow at times.

Using TWRP v2.5.0.0 I did a factory reset(data, cache and dalvik wipe). I then tried to install ShinyROM, but it gave the following error:

Updating partition details...
Formatting Cache using make_ext4fs...
Done.
Wiping data without wiping /data/media ...
Done.
Installing '/sdcard/modsnstuff/ShinyROM_maguro_a
Checking for MD5 file...
Skipping MD5 check: no MD5 file found.
Warning: No file_contexts
Installing Shiny ROM build 062114
for maguro
set_metadata_recursive: some changes failed
E: Error executing updater binary in zip '/sdcard
Error flashing zip '/sdcard/modsnstuff/ShinyROM_

I also put a new PA version on the phone, which gave a similar error.

I tried using the android toolkit to get into adb recovery and flash a new rom somehow. I did not succeed to install the drivers successfully, which is probably because I am not able to boot into android. I do not see how I can use the toolkit now, and since I barely know what it does and I would not know how to install the drivers.

What can I do to correctly install the new ROM, or at least get it to boot in any version of android?

Last edited:

DR3W5K1

Aug 25, 2012
I just bricked my galaxy nexus by trying to install Shiny ROM. I've got a (europe) maguro galaxy nexus which ran PA before, but I wanted to update as it became extremely slow at times.

Using TWRP v2.5.0.0 I did a factory reset(data, cache and dalvik wipe). I then tried to install ShinyROM, but it gave the following error:

I also put a new PA version on the phone, which gave a similar error.

I tried using the android toolkit to get into adb recovery and flash a new rom somehow. I did not succeed to install the drivers successfully, which is probably because I am not able to boot into android. I do not see how I can use the toolkit now, and since I barely know what it does and I would not know how to install the drivers.

What can I do to correctly install the new ROM, or at least get it to boot in any version of android?

Search for using fastboot to return to stock Google image(stock ROM). Then install custom recovery again and flash a ROM.

This phone is nearly impossible to brick

DR3W5K1

Aug 25, 2012
Thanks a lot for the reply, trying it now. Apologies if I misused the word brick btw.

No need to apologize just didn't want you to think that you were stuck.

Also it will be very beneficial to study up on adb along with fastboot.

If you learn these two things you will be able to get out of just about any sticky situation you run into.

PS The most difficult part is getting the drivers installed.

inasm

Jul 17, 2013
No need to apologize just didn't want you to think that you were stuck.

Also it will be very beneficial to study up on adb along with fastboot.

If you learn these two things you will be able to get out of just about any sticky situation you run into.

PS The most difficult part is getting the drivers installed.

Would you happen to have a link to a post of some sort? I tried downloading the drivers, then installing them using device manager which didn't work, since windows said they were up to date already. All other guides I found to install the right drivers were with a working android version. Even the soft brick guides assume you have installed the drivers already.

DR3W5K1

Aug 25, 2012
Would you happen to have a link to a post of some sort? I tried downloading the drivers, then installing them using device manager which didn't work, since windows said they were up to date already. All other guides I found to install the right drivers were with a working android version. Even the soft brick guides assume you have installed the drivers already.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1583801. Use this for driver issues.

http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-nexus/general/how-to-return-to-stock-galaxy-nexus-t1626895 use this to return to stock.

With these guides you can fix it!

inasm

Jul 17, 2013

The driver still seems to refuse to work. It keeps saying the latest driver is installed. I am using Windows 7 in stead of 8, which is why the guide might not apply 100% to me.

When I use the Android ToolKit and I try to flash the google ROM, it does detect a device in ADB MODE, and it gets the serial number, but it gets stuck on "Waiting for adb Mode". Does this mean the drivers are already correctly installed?

EDIT:
I remembered that I downloaded an old version of PA a long time ago using goo manager, which was still on my phone. ADB drivers are also installed now it seems, now I just have to install the 4.4 version correctly.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Last edited:

DR3W5K1

Aug 25, 2012
The driver still seems to refuse to work. It keeps saying the latest driver is installed. I am using Windows 7 in stead of 8, which is why the guide might not apply 100% to me.

When I use the Android ToolKit and I try to flash the google ROM, it does detect a device in ADB MODE, and it gets the serial number, but it gets stuck on "Waiting for adb Mode". Does this mean the drivers are already correctly installed?

EDIT:
I remembered that I downloaded an old version of PA a long time ago using goo manager, which was still on my phone. ADB drivers are also installed now it seems, now I just have to install the 4.4 version correctly.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Your welcome but you should have been using fastboot instead of adb. For future reference they are two different things