[TUTORIAL] First approach to VirtuousTenStudio Software|best way to manipulate apk's|

Search This thread

memnoc

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 23, 2011
Hey guys, I'm here to present you the most amazing software ever to manipulate every apk of every android version. This work has been developed by the Virtuous Team, specifically by
Diamondback,Vaelek: Lead development
Flemmard: M10 development
Cypis: Graphics and design.

To explain the power of this software we must keep clear in mind that this is not a simple tool such as apktool, this is a lot more. The GUI looks really professional, as well as the software itself. Fast, smooth, comfortable, and most of all, 100% working without exception! This tutorial will explain you how to approach the software the very first time, so your experience will be absolutely awesome from the beginning. This software is useful for us developers as well as themers, but also the average user will be comfortable messing up with this baby without any issue. Also this tutorial is realized under the supervision of @Diamondback which is the lead developer of the software itself. Let's start;)

Step 1: Set the machine
Windows XP SP3 or later (no Windows 8 support until .net 4.5 is released)
Microsoft .net framework 4.0 FULL
Lastest Java Runtime (JRE)
>= 1GB RAM recommended

Step 2: set the software
This is the most important part, because this software works perfectly, but you have to set it properly, otherwise it won't work (obviously:))
First
You can install/try every apktool version, VTS works with whatever apktool. Also, we found that for Sense4 is better to install this hacked aapt+apktool.jar in your Windows path (basically, go to your sdk, and replace the aapt and apktool.jar in your folder, my path for example is
Code:
C:/sdk/tools
yours could be different like
Code:
C:/sdk/platform-tools
Second
replace the aapt+apktool.jar in your apktool path through VTS (see the pictures)
iw5pe.png

369sv.png

you can chose whatever path you want, but it's important that the "external folder" looks like this
4luk2.png

Third: tag your resources files is very important!!
You must tag you resources files (resources=files you find in system/framework) in order to makes apktool able to find the resources and compile/decompile properly your apk. This is an example of tag's
xo7yj.png

To create a tag, just type whatever in the tag space, then click on add framework. As you can see I used Ville_1.53 so the base I'm messing up with. Type the tag WITHOUT any space use "_" if you need it.
Software is now setted:D

Step 3: enjoy the VTS power
So now let's start with the funny part, manipulate your apk. I used a Sense 4 Rosie.apk as example.
-Start a new project (it means start a new project LOL)
n21ru.png

now you're here, you must set the project (see the pictures)
bulsg.png

srj45.png

-Once your project is setted, just click OK and the software will make the magic for you:D
133lg.png

-to mess up with your apk, just right click on the project (on the left side), and open it in "explorer"
iz84x.png

-once you made your changes, another right click on the project and "build" it, once again let the application do its magic:D
-you'll find your brand new apk in "Binary" folder, to acces it just right click and open the explorer as before!
g5ih2.png

That's it guys, as I said this tutorial won't explain you the 1000 features of this program, you'll find them on your own, or Diamondback and the guys from his team will explain you in detail much more better than I can;)
Hope this help, enjoy:)

Last edited:

memnoc

Feb 23, 2011
here you can find all the links vts related in virtuous place​

vts will always be free to use. However to recognise the hard work that has gone in this project and to help support future development you might want to consider donating.
For more information please follow this link

we have set up a public bugtracker where you can post your issues. Please search if there are already similar issues before creating new tickets.
The bugtracker is located here.

I am also usually available on irc, channel #vts-dev on freenode.​

tutorials and guides about vts

Last edited:

memnoc

Feb 23, 2011
History

This project first started back in April 2011 with the announcement of the HTC Sensation and Sense 3.0. At this time HTC said that the previous generation of devices would not have the hardware capabilities to run Sense 3.0. Spurred on by this challenge the community came together and worked tirelessly to get it booting on devices such as the Desire HD and Desire Z.

Getting Sense 3.0 booting was not to much of an issue, the bigger problem came once the rom had booted. Due to the sensation having a qHD screen and last generation devices having WVGA almost every Sense app and widget was oversized.

After much poking around the apk’s it came apparent that HTC had started to use a special binary format called m10. These m10 files were new and at the time no one knew what they contained or even how to decode them.
Along came Diamondback and Flemmard, between them they managed to build a decoder/ encoder for the m10 format. Once decoded they were able to resize sense 3 and the now legendary Virtuous Unity was born.

The m10 project soon developed in to a much bigger idea, why have a piece of software that is only able to modify one element of apks.
So work began on implementing existing tools such as apktool, adb and more. A lot of time has been spent making sure that work flow is correct and provides the best possible user experience.

And that's where we are today, presenting you Virtuous Ten Studio. :)

Last edited:

matt95

Aug 8, 2010
Milan
Will definitely try this! I'm really curious :D thanks men!

Sent from my Sensation using Tapatalk 2

V1k70r

Jan 6, 2012
Thanks for introducing this software. I was just looking for something like this becuase I am editing the Rosie.apk.

memnoc

Feb 23, 2011
Thanks for introducing this software. I was just looking for something like this becuase I am editing the Rosie.apk.

me too, but keep in mind that no m10 features is available for now, I know that Flemmard is still working on it, it will come soon, all the rest works absolutely awesome

bobgeneric

Feb 24, 2012
I just can't change the Browser's icon. :mad:
No erros, decompiling, building and transfering.
Others apps i can change icons.

Someone can help me?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys, I'm here to present you the most amazing software ever to manipulate every apk of every android version. This work has been developed by the Virtuous Team, specifically by
    Diamondback,Vaelek: Lead development
    Flemmard: M10 development
    Cypis: Graphics and design.

To explain the power of this software we must keep clear in mind that this is not a simple tool such as apktool, this is a lot more. The GUI looks really professional, as well as the software itself. Fast, smooth, comfortable, and most of all, 100% working without exception! This tutorial will explain you how to approach the software the very first time, so your experience will be absolutely awesome from the beginning. This software is useful for us developers as well as themers, but also the average user will be comfortable messing up with this baby without any issue. Also this tutorial is realized under the supervision of @Diamondback which is the lead developer of the software itself. Let's start;)

Step 1: Set the machine
    Windows XP SP3 or later (no Windows 8 support until .net 4.5 is released)
    Microsoft .net framework 4.0 FULL
    Lastest Java Runtime (JRE)
    >= 1GB RAM recommended

Step 2: set the software
    This is the most important part, because this software works perfectly, but you have to set it properly, otherwise it won't work (obviously:))
    First
    You can install/try every apktool version, VTS works with whatever apktool. Also, we found that for Sense4 is better to install this hacked aapt+apktool.jar in your Windows path (basically, go to your sdk, and replace the aapt and apktool.jar in your folder, my path for example is
    Code:
    C:/sdk/tools
    yours could be different like
    Code:
    C:/sdk/platform-tools
    Second
    replace the aapt+apktool.jar in your apktool path through VTS (see the pictures)
    iw5pe.png

369sv.png

you can chose whatever path you want, but it's important that the "external folder" looks like this
    4luk2.png

Third: tag your resources files is very important!!
    You must tag you resources files (resources=files you find in system/framework) in order to makes apktool able to find the resources and compile/decompile properly your apk. This is an example of tag's
    xo7yj.png

To create a tag, just type whatever in the tag space, then click on add framework. As you can see I used Ville_1.53 so the base I'm messing up with. Type the tag WITHOUT any space use "_" if you need it.
    Software is now setted:D

Step 3: enjoy the VTS power
    So now let's start with the funny part, manipulate your apk. I used a Sense 4 Rosie.apk as example.
    -Start a new project (it means start a new project LOL)
    n21ru.png

now you're here, you must set the project (see the pictures)
    bulsg.png

srj45.png

-Once your project is setted, just click OK and the software will make the magic for you:D
    133lg.png

-to mess up with your apk, just right click on the project (on the left side), and open it in "explorer"
    iz84x.png

-once you made your changes, another right click on the project and "build" it, once again let the application do its magic:D
    -you'll find your brand new apk in "Binary" folder, to acces it just right click and open the explorer as before!
    g5ih2.png

That's it guys, as I said this tutorial won't explain you the 1000 features of this program, you'll find them on your own, or Diamondback and the guys from his team will explain you in detail much more better than I can;)
    Hope this help, enjoy:)
    here you can find all the links vts related in virtuous place​

vts will always be free to use. However to recognise the hard work that has gone in this project and to help support future development you might want to consider donating.
    For more information please follow this link

we have set up a public bugtracker where you can post your issues. Please search if there are already similar issues before creating new tickets.
    The bugtracker is located here.

I am also usually available on irc, channel #vts-dev on freenode.​

tutorials and guides about vts
    History

This project first started back in April 2011 with the announcement of the HTC Sensation and Sense 3.0. At this time HTC said that the previous generation of devices would not have the hardware capabilities to run Sense 3.0. Spurred on by this challenge the community came together and worked tirelessly to get it booting on devices such as the Desire HD and Desire Z.

Getting Sense 3.0 booting was not to much of an issue, the bigger problem came once the rom had booted. Due to the sensation having a qHD screen and last generation devices having WVGA almost every Sense app and widget was oversized.

After much poking around the apk’s it came apparent that HTC had started to use a special binary format called m10. These m10 files were new and at the time no one knew what they contained or even how to decode them.
    Along came Diamondback and Flemmard, between them they managed to build a decoder/ encoder for the m10 format. Once decoded they were able to resize sense 3 and the now legendary Virtuous Unity was born.

The m10 project soon developed in to a much bigger idea, why have a piece of software that is only able to modify one element of apks.
    So work began on implementing existing tools such as apktool, adb and more. A lot of time has been spent making sure that work flow is correct and provides the best possible user experience.

And that's where we are today, presenting you Virtuous Ten Studio. :)
    reserved3...............