X1 ROM optimization with Kovsky kitchen

Search This thread

htainlin

Sep 4, 2007
Auckland
**********************************************************************************************************************
IMPORTANT: Use my guide as your own risk. I am not responsible for anything if you device is bricked. Please flash only if you have hardspl installed.
**********************************************************************************************************************
XPERIA ROCKS​

I have been using Xperia's cooked roms from Jack and ITJE and they are good. However, there are some problems with working that and not working this. and also I found that either the roms are too light or too heavy.

My goal is making Xperia rom as light as possible and only using xperia original stuffs so that I don't have problems with bluetooth and other things.

And I found a way to taking out junks from Xperia X1 and increased X1's storage space to around 360 MB by using Kovsky Kitchen and working everything normal.

I found that X1i_GENERIC_UK_CDF1215-1832_R2AA010 is the best for me and I stripped out SE's junks from the rom using Kovsky Kitchen. You can do to any original rom for your need.

Preperation:

1. Download Kovsky Kitchen here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=477801 .
2. Download X1i_GENERIC_UK_CDF1215-1832_R2AA010 .

Start Cooking your own rom:

Step 1: Preperation

1. Extract Kovsky Kitchen to any where you want. (Preferrably C:\Kovsky Kitchen)
2. Rename APP_SW_X1i_GENERIC_UK_CDF1215-1832_KOV_R2AA010.image to RUU_Signed.nbh and copy to Kovsky kitchen's BaseRom folder.

Step 2: Extracting

1. Run KovskyKitchen.CMD
2. Type "e" to extract the original X1 R2AA010 rom
3. Type "a" to start extracting. (It will take around 2 or 3 minutes)
4. Wait until you see "Press Any Key to continue...."
5. Leave the CMD windows open...

Now Kovsky Kitchen is ready to cook...

Step 3: Cooking

1. Go to a newly created folder called " OEM" in the kitchen that where you do stripping out SE's Junks.
2. Go to "ConfigAP" folder. You will see config_AP.txt. Make file writable by changing read only attribute. And delete all links to CAB files that you want to delete. I delete them all as I don't want any of them.

CAB: \WINDOWS\bejeweled2SX1.PPC_2577.WM5_signed.CAB
CAB: \WINDOWS\FM-Radio_Panel_MR1_R19_32318_signed.CAB
CAB: \WINDOWS\GoogleMaps-ms-sonyericsson_emb.cab
CAB: \WINDOWS\GooglePanel_UK_MR1_R19_32195_signed.CAB
CAB: \WINDOWS\GoogleSearch_SEMC_1.1.40_RC3_signed.CAB
CAB: \WINDOWS\MxP_R19_MR1_RC2_32367_signed.CAB
CAB: \WINDOWS\WM6.1_PPC_dawn_Opera_2532_signed.cab
CAB: \WINDOWS\sudokuSX1.PPC_2577.WM5.CAB

Leave only "CFG: \WINDOWS\config_end.txt" line . I don't want any junk in the rom. I will install them later by UC config or manually install them.

And put the file back "Read Only"

3. Delete folders that you don't want in the OEM folder whatever start with "PACKAGE_". For example:

PACKAGE_Kovsky_Bejeweled2
PACKAGE_Kovsky_Bejeweled2_0409
PACKAGE_Kovsky_FMRadioPanel
PACKAGE_Kovsky_FMRadioPanel_0409
PACKAGE_Kovsky_GoogleMap
PACKAGE_Kovsky_GoogleMap_0409
PACKAGE_Kovsky_Googlepanel
PACKAGE_Kovsky_Googlepanel_0409
PACKAGE_Kovsky_GoogleSearch
PACKAGE_Kovsky_GoogleSearch_0409
PACKAGE_Kovsky_HandangoInHand
PACKAGE_Kovsky_HandangoInHand_0409
PACKAGE_Kovsky_MxP
PACKAGE_Kovsky_MxP_0409
PACKAGE_Kovsky_Opera_Browser
PACKAGE_Kovsky_Opera_Browser_0409
PACKAGE_Kovsky_Sudoku
PACKAGE_Kovsky_Sudoku_0409

4. Deleting files from ExtendedPkg (Musics and Movies)

Make config.txt writable and delete
"XML: \WINDOWS\fileoperations.xml" line and Make the file read only again.
Delete all files that are larger than 22 KB except "Xperia Black.tsk", because i like Xperia black theme.

You can delete other files if you want to but for me I leave them alone as they are small enough.

5. Deleting files from SYS folder (These are original WM stuffs)

Delete "AUTOUPDATE" folder
Delete "NetCF" folder (You can install NetCF 3.0 later)
Delete "SampleMusic" folder
Delete "WelcomeCenter" folder
Delete "WelcomeCenter_Lang_0409" folder

You can delete OneNote, Office, or WindowsLive if you would like to. But I leave them alone.

Now.. our rom has no more unwanted stuffs..

Step 4: Building OS

1. Go back to CMD window and
2. Type "C" cook a rom.
3. Type "A" if you want to use the old BuildOS.exe (I can't figure out the second one)
4. BuildOS windows will appear.
5. Just click on green "Play" icon and It will start building our rom. Wait until it finishs and closes the "Build OS" window.
6. Go back to CMD windows again and wait until you see "press any key to contine".. press any key..
7. It will do some stuffs and you will see os-new.nb in the kitchen folder.
8. htc rom tool windows will appear.
Go to Rom Builder TAB. Choose Kovsky * in device. It will fill all the infomation in other fields. Just change the version to anything you like.
9. Choose "os-new.nb" in the OS field. and click on "Build" button.
10. Save it as "RUU_Signed.nbh" in the kitchen folder. A new window appear and it will quit itself.
11. Now. you will see "RUU_Signed.nbh" in the kitchen folder.
12. An Hexa Editor windows will appear. Just close it.
13. You can close CMD window now.

Step 5: Flashing

Now you are ready to flash your own cooked rom. You can flash your rom with RUU Update Utility or just change "RUU_Signed.nbh" to "KOVSIMG.nbh" and put is in SD card and flash it.

For information on how to flash using SD card here .

You can get my sample rom here.

*********************************************************************************************************************
FOR THOSE WHO WANT TO PUT CAB FILES IN THE ROM.
*********************************************************************************************************************

Step1:

Put the line in Config_AP.txt the line "CAB: \WINDOWS\FM-Radio_Panel_MR1_R19_32318_signed.CAB" . It has to be exactly as the cab file name that you are going to put in the OEM folder.

Step2:

Make 2 folders "PACKAGE_Kovsky_FMRadioPanel" and "PACKAGE_Kovsky_FMRadioPanel_0409" in the OEM folder. Put your cab file in the first folder.

And now you are good to go.

Step3:

Open KovskyKitchen.CMD and start the procedures "Step 4: Building OS "from my guide.

2. Type "C" cook a rom.
3. Type "A" if you want to use the old BuildOS.exe (I can't figure out the second one)
5. Just click on green "Play" icon and It will start building our rom. Wait until it finishs and closes the "Build OS" window.
6. Go back to CMD windows again and wait until you see "press any key to contine".. press any key..
Go to Rom Builder TAB. Choose Kovsky * in device. It will fill all the infomation in other fields. Just change the version to anything you like.
10. Save it as "RUU_Signed.nbh" in the kitchen folder. A new window appear and it will quit itself.

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
FOR THOSE WHO WANT TO PUT OTHER HTC DEVICE'S STUFFS IN THE ROM. (For example "Blackstone" HTC Touch HD)
************************************************** ************************************************** *****************

Step 1: Exact other device's ROM the same procedure as X1 rom.
Step 2: Simply copy folders from Blackstone kitchen's OEM folder to X1 kitchen's OEM folder. For example:

PACKAGE_Blackstone_AudioBooster
PACKAGE_Blackstone_AudioBooster_0409

Step 3: Follow the step 4: Building OS from the guide.

Working Stuffs:

Album
AudioBooster
AudioManagerEngine
Enlarge Startmenu
MP3 Trimmer
FMRadio
Manila
JetCet Print
LargeTitalbar
Volume Control
AdvancedNetwork

Not Working Stuffs: (May need shared files from other folders or tweakings)

Camera (I simply use X1 camera application . Copy \Program Files\CameraRunner.exe to \Windows and rename it to "Camera.exe".)
Youtube (You can simply install Youtube program that has been modified)
CyberonVoice Commander

Last edited:

i_am_jon

Nov 2, 2008
Brilliant, someone should sticky this.

Been wanting to try cooking my own rom for a while but didn't know where to start. Your example is pretty much exactly what i've been looking for in a cooked rom, strip out all the media junk but not mess with anything else.

What do I have to do to get UC working, is it just a case of having SDConfig.txt on my storage card or do I need to add something to the rom?

Any chance of a part 2 for how to add cab's to the rom? I would like to add a few light weight essentials such as blackstone dialer, fm radio & volume control to mine.

Last edited:

MykeChester

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Earth
Nice Thread...I will try it later after work...:D

"Make config.txt writable and delete
"XML: \WINDOWS\fileoperations.xml" line and Make the file read only again.
Delete all files that are larger than 22 KB except "Xperia Black.tsk", because i like Xperia black theme.
"

One question...what do you mean "make config.txt writable?"

htainlin

Sep 4, 2007
Auckland
Actually, I have never tried to use UC yet. I just install whatever I want manually. Using UC should be quicker to install things. Great chefs like ITJE and Jack should know better. Please search their threads for UC stuffs.

For putting the cab files should be relatively easy. We can do reverse exactly how we stripped them out.

For example , you can do the following if you want to put FM Radio panel back or any other cabs you wanted to include in the rom.

But for me, I want the rom as light as possible and to get the largest storage space, I don't bother to put them in the rom. If I want them, I just install them manually.

Step1:

Put the line in Config_AP.txt the line "CAB: \WINDOWS\FM-Radio_Panel_MR1_R19_32318_signed.CAB" . It has to be exactly as the cab file name that you are going to put in the OEM folder.

Step2:

Make 2 folders "PACKAGE_Kovsky_FMRadioPanel" and "PACKAGE_Kovsky_FMRadioPanel_0409" in the OEM folder. Put your cab file in the first folder.

And now you are good to go.

Step3:

Open KovskyKitchen.CMD and start the procedures "Step 4: Building OS "from my guide.

2. Type "C" cook a rom.

Hope this help. :)

Brilliant, someone should sticky this.

Been wanting to try cooking my own rom for a while but didn't know where to start. Your example is pretty much exactly what i've been looking for in a cooked rom, strip out all the media junk but not mess with anything else.

What do I have to do to get UC working, is it just a case of having SDConfig.txt on my storage card or do I need to add something to the rom?

Any chance of a part 2 for how to add cab's to the rom? I would like to add a few light weight essentials such as blackstone dialer, fm radio & volume control to mine.

ianl8888

Dec 29, 2006
@htainlin

Thank you greatly for these posts - they are very clear and concise.

Most of all, they are explicit and very helpful. Trying to obtain a "road map" of ROM cookery is very frustrating - it's all a "big secret", where you are advised to read and read etc, but the multifarious references are truncated, incomplete, chaotic and contradictory. You've helped enormously in cleaning up this mess.

Straightforward now - generic RA3 versions will turn up sometime.

Re UC:

I use this to re-install most apps after a new ROM flash (see Jack Leung's thread for my posts). The only real hassle for UC are those apps that splatter files on installation to both the SD card and Storage. There is a huge thread on UC with most questions answered in one fashion or another, but it takes patience to sort through it. Having done it once, you need only update your sdconfig.txt as you add/remove apps over time.

Last edited:

fards

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nice post!

However if you really want to make a streamlined rom use Ervius Visual Mulitlang Kitchen
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=3147148#post3147148,

The GUI is pretty neat, and it uses Bepe's new kitchen system to get rid of extra gumpf in the roms (such as dsm files).

this then optimizes it a bit as /windows has less files in it. Ergo it does things faster.

this will also work with the newer format roms coming I think.

fards

@htainlin

Thank you greatly for these posts - they are very clear and concise.

Most of all, they are explicit and very helpful. Trying to obtain a "road map" of ROM cookery is very frustrating - it's all a "big secret", where you are advised to read and read etc, but the multifarious references are truncated, incomplete, chaotic and contradictory. You've helped enormously in cleaning up this mess.

There's no "big secret" the reasons you've stated are the reasons people tell you to read. If there was one post to point people to then don't you think people would have done it?

It takes a lot of time to do the work that htainlin did, which is why most people dont get around to doing it all.

htainlin stick it in the WIKI.

jackleung

Apr 10, 2005
USA
Very rom cooking guide for beginner

Nice work. I did something similar for Asus P525 long time back and I know it's takes a lot of effort to bring everything together, and explain the subject clearly for beginner.

This is a very good starter "re-cooking" document for beginner. There is no "big secret" for rom cooking. All you still need to do is research and read a lot more to do some hardcore stuff for the next level. e.g. remove unnecessary driver/service/registry Welcome center / Customer Satisfactory ...etc, replace driver w/ other device to get more functionality. Then XIP/Sys port .....etc

htainlin

Sep 4, 2007
Auckland
Thanks guys. I am not really into cooking.

My goal is to take the "Unwanted Stuffs" out from the rom so that the storage will be larger and just a small guide to everyone who wants to make their rom lighter. Everyone should be able to do it themselves for their likings to any future rom versions.

There is "NO BIG SECRET" for rom cooking. But for beginners, it is really hard to figure out how to use "Kovsky Kitchen". Once you are experienced, it's quite easy.

But for advanced stuffs as Jack mentioned.. we need more research and skills. I might write a detailed guide later, how to edit registry and replacing better dlls and applications.

Everyone has his/her own preferences and I just want to show them even a beginner could do themselves.

Windows mobile is the best ever mobile os for me so far and you can modify anyway you like. Thanks to many developers who created kitchen and make things easy for us. :)

griffin9k

Feb 28, 2009
Moscow
There is no need to do such a hard job - to extract & rebuild all the ROM file.

Just take HTC Rom Editor, open your ROM there, clear all useless stuff and correct files
config.txt
config_AP.txt
config_operatior.txt
config_SP.txt (if exist)
fileoperations.xml
runlua.cc

Then save your rom and flash it. Easy way.

PS: My custom rom with cleared "stuff" (even SE Dialer) and some features is about 65MB, and makes about 360+MB free memory.

harveydent

Feb 24, 2009
Great job! Big help to us new to WM and ROM cooking. Thanks, mate!

+1 to make this thread sticky

c_legaspi

Nov 25, 2008
great write up. got a couple questions tho.

what effect does deleting the \windows\fileoperations.xml have on:
ringtones? will you have to maually load your ringtone, like for my alarm, notifications (mail, sms)
internet explorer start page?
startup animation?
panels? will i still have the se1 and 2 panels? how about the today panel?

thanks,
claudio