[Kernel] Lightning Zap Kernel (Updated 18OCT13)Blaze and Exhilarate

Search This thread

BRANDENDEUCE

Jul 8, 2008
Reno
Android Wear
T-Mobile LG G4
I am a full fledged tester of new roms and kernels but isn't there any way to make all of this 'script' we are typing in into an actual script that is flashable?

The governor tweak is set for a fairly balance of performance and battery life. If you find yourself needing battery life over performance, you can make some minor changes. Here's how:
1 Download Script Manager from the market (it's free)
2 Open Script Manager and navigate to /system/etc/init.d
3 Press menu/more/advanced options and select mount as RW
4 Select 01governor and select "edit" at the top (this will open the file in atext editor)
5 Uncomment (remove # in the particular line) and change:
Code:
echo "45" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold;
To:
Code:
echo "[COLOR=red]70[/COLOR]" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold;
6 Select menu/save
7 Press the skull and cross bones icon at the top (this will allow Super User)
8 Press run, close app and enjoy
This will result is slightly slower performance but higher battery life.

If you want even better battery life:
1 Following steps 1-4
2 Add a # at the begining of lines 11 to 19
3 Scroll to "pwoersaver" section
4 Remove the # at the begining of lines 28, 30-38 and 43
Code:
#AWAKE_GOVERNOR="ondemand"
#SLEEP_GOVERNOR="ondemand"
#    echo "70" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold;
etc
Code:
AWAKE_GOVERNOR="powersaver"
#SLEEP_GOVERNOR="powersaver"
        echo "20000" >   /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/sampling_rate;
5 Follow steps 6-8 (no need to select super user icon if you already did)
This will result in lower performance, but ultimate battery life

When running in a higher performance mode (especially for gaming) you can disable powersave_bias by changing the 1 to a 0 like this:
Code:
echo "1" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/powersave_bias;
echo "[COLOR=red]0[/COLOR]" >    /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/powersave_bias;
Powersave_bias only allows the CPU to peak for small increments at a time, and not allow the CPU to remain peaked even when the system calls for it. In gaming, that could result in choppy, laggy perofrmance and slow FPS..

Although it says not to in the script, you can change the sampling rate as well. Do not go below 50000. I left it at 57500 as I found this seems good setting for smooth scrolling and performance.

Code:
    echo "[COLOR=Red]57500[/COLOR]" >   /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/sampling_rate;
Always leave SLEEP_GOVERNOR="powersave" uncommented (no #) and do not uncomment any other SLEEP_GOVERNOR as this will keep ultimate battery save while screen is off.
Only change values in increments of 5 for the up_threshold.

I am not resposible if you do something wrong. Make a back up just in case.

thomas.raines

Recognized Developer
Jun 23, 2011
Hutto
I am a full fledged tester of new roms and kernels but isn't there any way to make all of this 'script' we are typing in into an actual script that is flashable?
There are scripts that are included. Team Fah-Q! would like to ask you to please kindly take the time to read the entire thread in which you quoted. This includes the title of the thread More tips and tricks. Team Fah-Q! would also like to say that the script already exist in the CWM flashable zip and the post that you quoted is merely some suggestion on how you can customize those scripts to better enhance and personalize your device depending on how you use said device.

danTM

Aug 1, 2011
Can we put this into the OP? I am perfectly capable of reading things like "works with any version of CM10" (especially before flashing files on my phones), but I'm not so sure about people like guido28...

So it's officially a no go for ICS/CM9... CM10 only guys... sorry... I'll see if I can get one made for ICS as well after I finish the ROM I am building for you guys...

As for the device getting hot while charging:
Is it on or off?
If it is on, try closing any open apps.
Try a different charger/wall socket.
I left mine on the charger overnight with it on and no additional apps installed, and it didn't get hot at any point. I was using a charger for my old blackberry, but it has the same voltage, amperage and wattage as the stock charger for the blaze.

johnb380

Jan 25, 2011
Masury, Ohio
This kernel is freaking awesome... I'm serious the frame rate and gpu rendering is waaaay better than stock cm10... This thing is so smooth and fast its ridonkulous...
Thank u thank u thank u thank u thank u and thank again...
I can finally play the new Shadow gun and I can actually see without trails it was running about 16fps before I flashed now is steady 25-30fps o ya baby... Sick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 03:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:41 AM ----------

Seriously I had to change my sig for this

Sent from my Blaze running Cm10 and Lightning Zap Kernel what more can u ask for people?!!!

ktempleton

Oct 3, 2012
Lebanon
So I was wondering if you guys would lightning zap a kernel for our phone its very similar to the blaze and the one we are using was built by dr4stic also . Same with our cm 10 build although we are still unofficial at the moment. I heard a lot of good things about this kernel and would really like to see it run on our phone thanks for your consideration and all your hard work

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I577 using xda premium

thomas.raines

Recognized Developer
Jun 23, 2011
Hutto
So I was wondering if you guys would lightning zap a kernel for our phone its very similar to the blaze and the one we are using was built by dr4stic also . Same with our cm 10 build although we are still unofficial at the moment. I heard a lot of good things about this kernel and would really like to see it run on our phone thanks for your consideration and all your hard work

I'll talk to dr4stic about the details. I honestly think it's the same kernel, but let's verify before anyone flashes it. Don't wanna brick any phones...Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: ktempleton

ktempleton

Oct 3, 2012
Lebanon
Thanks a lot. I'll definitely be willing to flash I'm sure it wouldn't brick my phone because I originally flashed a few blaze ROMs before dr4stic built ours. I'm just not sure if everything would work ie: sound soft buttons etc..

thomas.raines

Recognized Developer
Jun 23, 2011
Hutto
Thanks a lot. I'll definitely be willing to flash I'm sure it wouldn't brick my phone because I originally flashed a few blaze ROMs before dr4stic built ours. I'm just not sure if everything would work ie: sound soft buttons etc..

I sent him a pm... I think the recoveries are different but if your not afraid of a brick, flash away...Lol

ktempleton

Oct 3, 2012
Lebanon
That's just it we started out using the blaze recovery to root our phones. Dr4stic has since built us our own so I'm not sure of the results but if he says it shouldn't hurt I'll definitely be the first to find out. Lol.
I also believe I have a kernel zip for our cm10 build if that would help..

bongus

Jul 7, 2007
How long should I wait for the first reboot. It has been over 10 minutes. I heard the vibration after recovery rebooted. Now, I have a black screen with the 4 bottom button lit.

thomas.raines

Recognized Developer
Jun 23, 2011
Hutto
How long should I wait for the first reboot. It has been over 10 minutes. I heard the vibration after recovery rebooted. Now, I have a black screen with the 4 bottom button lit.

Do a hard reboot (hold the power button till it reboots). Not sure why it does this. You are the second person to tell me that... Did you use twrp to install?

thomas.raines

Recognized Developer
Jun 23, 2011
Hutto
We do not have Twrp for the blaze yet :p

That's right...getting my devices mixed up again...lol
On the skyrocket a guy had the same issue with the reboot and he used twrp... but it was an isolated issue and others have used twrp without a hitch... so I'm thinking... gremlins! Lol
Seriously, it's a one in a few chance this could happen to anyone... Idk why, but if you just hard reset things will be ok...

Reactions: Beastmode

johnb380

Jan 25, 2011
Masury, Ohio
Does this work for stock ICS yet?

No and it never will aosp and stock r too different bro

---------- Post added at 05:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:42 AM ----------

And this is only cm10 Jelly bean not cm9 ics

---------- Post added at 05:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:43 AM ----------

Why r u people so lazy u can't even b bothered to read the OP come on

johnb380

Jan 25, 2011
Masury, Ohio
Hey Thomas is there anyway to merge all the commits that have been made recently in cm stock kernel to this kernel Cuz it is awesome but dr4stic has fixed bln and cleaned he code up and maybe has fixed the SoD issue now in his latest test kernel... I don't know if u 2 talk but I think u guys would be awesome together making a kernel...
Just my 2 cents

thomas.raines

Recognized Developer
Jun 23, 2011
Hutto
Hey Thomas is there anyway to merge all the commits that have been made recently in cm stock kernel to this kernel Cuz it is awesome but dr4stic has fixed bln and cleaned he code up and maybe has fixed the SoD issue now in his latest test kernel... I don't know if u 2 talk but I think u guys would be awesome together making a kernel...
Just my 2 cents

Yep, already on it. I almost had it compete when my wife bricked her phone... so I had to stop my projects to get her up and texting again...lol

Jun 28, 2011
The download links seems to be down, I did not sit and read every single posting that is in here, but is there any form of alternative link guys, and gals, or any transies in the room? Thanks. A pm is fine so that we don't have to tie up the thread.

[|][|] Sent from my modified watch calculator, that I jacked from Barney Rubble, during the Rodney King riots...I'm using the premium app, come on people like XDA hasn't helped you out? What is it that you were using? Free sucks! Spend the cash! Cheapos! [|][|]

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thomas.Raines presents

The Lightning Zap! kernel for the Blaze 4G

ATTN:
    I thomas.raines, nor it's affiliates claim responsibility for anything you do to damage, destroy, brick, explode, or otherwise mess up your device.

certifiedicon.png

I revamped the Lightning Zap! kernel across the board. Since I have so many of them I was loosing where I was on each one. So I have now broken it down into 3 phases:
    Phase 1: Introduction of LZ kernel to device
    Phase 2: Fine tuning of tweaks, values, etc
    Phase 3: Implementation of OC/UV
    Phase 4: Continue updating and adjusting as necessary
    From now on I will name the .zip accordingly as well:
    Blaze_p2.1
    On a good note, I think this latest update will finalize phase 2 and now I can work on OC/UV...

Features:
    Improved performance
    Improved battery life
    Improved network speeds
    Improved boot times
    Smoother scrolling
    Better responsiveness
    Cleaner file systems
    Governor tweaks for amazing speed and performance without sacrificing battery life
    Improved Memory and Ram tweaks
    Improved Internet speed
    Amazing kernel tweaks, build.prop mods, init.d scripts and more!

Instructions:
    Make a backup
    Download .zip to PC
    Transfer .zip to your sdcard
    Or just download it straight to your phone
    Reboot to recovery
    Flash
    Phone will automatically reboot after install**
    Wait 10 minutes
    Enjoy the Lightning Zap!

This kernel was tested on CM10 nightly. This kernel and tweaks will work with any version of CM10.

See 3rd post for further instructions on improving and customizing your Lighting Zap! experience.

**The first boots always takes the longest especially after a fresh install. If you pull a logcat during the first boot, you may see a few errors with the vacuum script. This is normal, and will be "fixed" after the phone has built the databases for the apps.

Please allow 24 hours after install and 1 full charge cycle before reporting results. Always provide me with a logcat with any issues you may experience.

Source Code:
    kernel
    msm8660-common_lz_kernel
    vendor_lz-kernel (LZ vendor files for ROM compiling)
    LZ Flashing Packages (For those of you just compiling the kernel)
    Includes flashing script, binaries, etc for the Blaze, Nitro and Skyrocket

Special thanks to:
    dr4stic for patching he cm kernel to work with our devices
    xan for Voltage Control app
    jenbek for donating
    Download links and changelog

Download links and changelogs here:

Blaze_p4.4-5.zip
    Nothing super spectacular here, just upstream maintenance
    NOTE** Since we don't have a supported recovery, and I can't find enough info about it, I cannot add the dual boot feature.
    Anybody that has some knowledge on making a custom recovery, particularly TWRP with dual boot, help me (KTEMP!)
    Moved source to LightningZap github

Blaze_p4.4-4A.zip
    Removed topology and mpdecision in 4.4-4, but found all the gov's work best with mpdecision so I added it back.
    Adjusted CONFIG_NR_CPUS (number of cpu's) to cm default 999999 which causes the use of a CPU mask array. Small performance hit initially, but an overall vast improvement especially when multi-tasking.

p4.4-3
    Merged from upstream
    Added missing msm_mpdecsion blobs
    All governors and schedulers seem completely stable now (Keep testing please)
    Added True CD-ROM emulation interface (Not fully working on my computer. Need testers to verify with windows and linux) here is how to use it! (Special thanks goes to DooMLoRD and his doom kernel for the Xperia Z)
    init.d scripts updated with new mount params
    Enjoy!

p4.4-2
    Raised vm_max_readahed to 4096.
    Lowered default max cpu freq to 1512.
    Changed min cpu freq to 384 to fix Lionheart and Gallimaufry instability.

p4.4-1
    Fixed ability to change cpu frequency. Your changes now stick after closing app.
    Used userdebug lunch option. Now if you have red border on screen, it's more than likely in the ROM. Talk to your ROM dev.
    Possible fix for loss of su/root. (Let me know if you still loose it after flashing. I didn't have any issues this time.

Archived Changelog

Enjoy the Zap!
    Update 3.6.2

Thanks to flyers00 for testing!

All instability issues are fixed.

I'm working on the alarm issue now.
    @jbats, In this instance, it was some of my script changes that was causing the instabilities I'm working on cm-10.1 now. I'm not able to merge because of over 1000 conflicts. So, I'm going to introduce LZ all at once... no phases on this one... Hopefully...lol
    p3.7 is up... download link in the 2nd post... enjoy... This will be my last jb update for sure guys... All efforts are going into cm-10.1 from now on...
    Blue lightning x2 has intellidemand?

So does lz 3.7
    Which I'll have up tomorrow... ran out of time tonight...lol