Should I update to KK?

Search This thread

Naturesretard

Nov 4, 2011
Chino
I'm currently on 4.3 stock rooted 0x0 flag. I'm curious about KK but heard about a HUGE flaw with apps not able to write to external sd card...Therefore rendering them practically useless.

I'm assuming I shouldn't update ota and instead flash. But what will I need? And has the sd card issue been fixed?

I'm just looking for something more stable and a little slicker. Would like to stay tw or stock/ stock debloated.

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

chipworkz

Dec 28, 2011
Since you haven't pulled the trigger yet, like me, I would hold off a little longer and wait to see what 4.4.3 brings us. It is just rumored right now but it is supposed to be a bug fix release. From what I have gathered, you really aren't missing anything big by not being on KitKat. I have had the itch to go ahead an upgrade too but I am going to wait to see when 4.4.3 is likely to hit us first.

Naturesretard

Nov 4, 2011
Chino
So if I get any urges to want to change things up I should stay on 4.3?

I'm still debating breaking knox or not. I never plan to use knox and haven't decided if I plan to trade this in for jump or not. I'm loving the battery life and have no gripes but minor hiccups.

krelvinaz

Feb 20, 2008
Mesa AZ
A lot of people are having problems with KK. If they have rooted, the SDcard issue is not one of them since there is a fix for it. if you don' t have root, then it is a problem with no fix.

I'm one of the minority. Rooted Stock 4.42 with no real issues. Battery is fine, SDcard is fine, WiFi is good etc...

Naturesretard

Nov 4, 2011
Chino
Oh so those got it pre installed have issues but those who flash while rooted are fine.

Would you say you notice any stability or noteworthy features over 4.3?

krelvinaz

Feb 20, 2008
Mesa AZ
Oh so those got it pre installed have issues but those who flash while rooted are fine.

Would you say you notice any stability or noteworthy features over 4.3?

I didn't say that.

I was rooted before on 4.43 however, keeping root was not an option when I did the update. I used Odin to flash 4.42 and re-rooted (triggered Knox), loaded the sdcard fix and loaded TWRP in the process.

I was not having any issues on 4.43 though. KK got me better battery usage and access to new software.

If you are rooted, you can apply the sdcard fix. If you are not rooted, I don't think there it's a fix for that.

Last edited:

CravingMender9

Jun 6, 2011
Charlotte
www.rahulisola.com
I didn't say that.

I was rooted before on 4.43 however, keeping root was not an option when I did the update. I used Odin to flash 4.42 and re-rooted (triggered Knox), loaded the sdcard fix and loaded TWRP in the process.

I was not having any issues on 4.43 though. KK got me better battery usage and access to new software.

If you are rooted, you can apply the sdcard fix. If you are not rooted, I don't think there it's a fix for that.

Since you are still on 4.3, you can easily root using Kingo or de la vega method without triggering knox.
After that, upgrading to 4.4.2 is very easy and you still have root and warranty.

If you don't care about knox, then you can just update and use Chainfire to root 4.4.2 (knox warranty void). It is pretty simple.
I have 4.4.2, root (from my previous rooted 4.3) and warranty intact + SD fix and xposed mods. The phone is just amazing now.

Liquorsicc92

Jan 12, 2014
Modesto
The only issues I've heard due to the kitkat update are terrible battery life and the SD card issue. There's a flashable zip to fix the SD card issue and I believe installing the Foldermount app does some kind of fix. The battery life issue seems to be fixed after a simple factory reset, however, you'd have to root the device like others have stated. My phone runs great on KK. I'm getting awesome battery life and I have not experienced any problems whatsoever.

Frank Westlake

Nov 13, 2013
You can get improved battery life on 4.3 by removing bloat, and there's no need to apply a fix so you can use the sdcard normally. Is there any real improvement in 4.4.2?

Frank

chuko303

Dec 24, 2011
colorado
After a week of hearing about the problems I just went ahead and upgraded why? Who doesn't like to have the newest? Plus there are fixes if your rooted. If not well maybe you are screwed but who wouldn't want to root? Been doing it since OG evo 4G

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Neva Eva Forget 1984

Jul 22, 2012
Yuba City, CA
Does anyone have any issues recording video with KK? I updated the just the modem (running Slimkat) and can't record videos or sometimes can't play youtube videos in HD. It's not a rom issues. Might go to stock KK and than try reinstalling everything.

Naturesretard

Nov 4, 2011
Chino
After a week of hearing about the problems I just went ahead and upgraded why? Who doesn't like to have the newest? Plus there are fixes if your rooted. If not well maybe you are screwed but who wouldn't want to root? Been doing it since OG evo 4G

Funny, me too. I still have my og Evo 4g. Have you noticed any difference in battery life compared to 4.3? I have root and knox In-tact and apparently it's easy to upgrade...but I don't want worse battery life.

chuko303

Dec 24, 2011
colorado
You won't have worse battery life bud. I'm pretty sure that will be rom and kernel related. Theirs like 4 to 5 kit Kat toms out their now. All good. All different, over in the international forum the rom that made me go to kitkat was XNOTE v11. Was a great rom but build international of course, hyperdrive is great one too good battery life I can't complain. Lean kernel will save the most battery

Naturesretard

Nov 4, 2011
Chino
Alright I'll have to do some digging and find a flash able rom...and finish my root by breaking knox finally and flashing a recovery.

As easy as it makes things, I'm worried to break knox. Not because of warranty. Lol I know tmo doesn't give 2 ****s about root...

My concern is when I want to sell the device, maybe retaining knox flag will help increase the price point.

This phone is a powerhouse. Easily able to last for the next few years until EoD. Throw In the obvious office features and a still working knox (albeit being able to be reset at samsung warehouses (I'd cite the info but I'm not in front of my desktop)) who wouldn't want this phone for work?

Thoughts?

Last edited:

xEVILFREDx

Jan 13, 2011
NY
Yes. Absolutely no problems on stock rooted KK. Flash wicked and its even better.

Sent from my SM-N900T using xda app-developers app

I did the same but I am having issues with my network sticking on the new baseband. Do you have any issues Mike ? I feel like my phone goes to 4G / 3G more then what it did before. LTE was working before I jump to KK. Also when I got phone calls before, my network would go from LTE to 4g on calls. Now it goes to 3G. What is going on ????

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thats Like Saying Should I Buy These New BOSS rims for my car HAVING the money.

Hello my note 3 is on 4.3 baseband MI7 and recently I have been getting a message to update to 4.4.2. I am getting annoyed with this message as I get it several times a day. Should I just upgrade or is there a way to stop this message from popping up?

Did you click the update software selection in the settings or did it just prompt you to update even though you didn't do anything at all? Also has it actually downloaded the software yet or is it just telling you that the software is available? If you don't care about SD write access you could update. I personally will never update to Kit Kat because I lose too much functionality and gain nothing. Try deleting the cache and if worst comes to worst you can factory reset your phone. You can also turn off one of the system update apps. I never got a notification update after I turned that off. I hope you can keep Kit Kat off your phone. It won't be the same if you update and you can NEVER go back.
    That's interesting. Based on what I read, upgrading to 4.4 via Odin will trip Knox. I had to use a different root method - the one that require downloading an app on my Mac. I forgot what it's called now..

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=51627463&postcount=67

Follow the instructions here. It worked for me. Make sure to thank the original person for posting this if it works for you :)

---------- Post added at 11:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 AM ----------

Did you click the update software selection in the settings or did it just prompt you to update even though you didn't do anything at all? Also has it actually downloaded the software yet or is it just telling you that the software is available? If you don't care about SD write access you could update. I personally will never update to Kit Kat because I lose too much functionality and gain nothing. Try deleting the cache and if worst comes to worst you can factory reset your phone. You can also turn off one of the system update apps. I never got a notification update after I turned that off. I hope you can keep Kit Kat off your phone. It won't be the same if you update and you can NEVER go back.

I liked Kitkat (rooted). I feel it is faster, smoother, more stable, better Google Now (Yes, I use it a lot), better battery life (might just be placebo). Of course, since I am rooted, I have the SD fix too, and not to mention the amazing xposed modules. The best thing is, if you are still in 4.3, you can root without tripping knox warranty and update to have rooted kitkat. I gained a lot and lost nothing :) Even the stupid ISIS works.