NoRefresh enabler

Search This thread

marspeople

Jul 7, 2011
Maybe it can be run every 1 second when screen is on. I mean nook is not locked. I don't think that changing one parameter would eat battery. Is it worth a try?

The problem is when I do that, the screen will flash blank every time it is set again to A2 mode during a draw (i.e, animation such as scrolling).

Reactions: bisbal

case-sensitive

Nov 4, 2010
Thanks! It works exactly as advertised -- it can't believe that e-ink can refresh so quickly!

The trade off of course is that we now have just black-and-white, i.e. 1-bit coloring. As I understand the Nook Touch has 16 shades (which I presume to mean 4-bits). Question/request: Could you make a version of your apk to allow 2-bit shading? Perhaps that would give us a satisfactory compromise between scrolling speed vs readability of webpages (both being crucial e.g. for webpage browsing).

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(ed: unfortunately I don't know how to modify/compile apk, whence the request...)

Last edited:

bytehead

Feb 24, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
Ok, I think I've got it. :D

Since the Nook A2 mode seems to be overridden when switching foreground activity, I've tried another approach with a background service which toggles A2 mode when requested by user via a touch gesture. This way, the foreground activity isn't switched and "fast refreshing" mode works (until you change activity).

Thanks.

I just ordered a Nook tonight. I plan on getting this installed, once I've rooted the thing. I would have given you a Thank You, but as a (new! but also old I'm afraid) n00b, I evidently can't do that (or else I'm too simple on where to see where to click to do so...)

qwert940

Apr 4, 2011
Great work marspeople and everyone else who made it happen, but I'm bothered by one question. Isn't it dangerous for the e-ink display? As far as I know the screen flashes to maintain the contrast and remove ghosting effect. When we turn the flashing off won't we lose the contrast? Of course I'm not trying to scare away people from installing it, I'm going to do it right away after writing this post. It's just a question ;)

marspeople

Jul 7, 2011
Great work marspeople and everyone else who made it happen, but I'm bothered by one question. Isn't it dangerous for the e-ink display? As far as I know the screen flashes to maintain the contrast and remove ghosting effect. When we turn the flashing off won't we lose the contrast? Of course I'm not trying to scare away people from installing it, I'm going to do it right away after writing this post. It's just a question ;)

@all Thank you for your kind comments.

I'm no expert in e-ink technology but my guess is since it is a native operation mode of the screen, it shouldn't do any harm. As I said, the stock reader app from B&N implements this mode when changing pages quickly and by reverse-engineering the apk you would get almost the same code I'm using here (from N2EpdController class).

GabrialDestruir

Nov 12, 2009
California
@all Thank you for your kind comments.

I'm no expert in e-ink technology but my guess is since it is a native operation mode of the screen, it shouldn't do any harm. As I said, the stock reader app from B&N implements this mode when changing pages quickly and by reverse-engineering the apk you would get almost the same code I'm using here (from N2EpdController class).

I'm curious, what's the ghosting like when using this?

marspeople

Jul 7, 2011
Question: This started with PRS-T1 beta app and a question to port to Nook. But is the Sony use preserved? Could I install this on my PRS-T1 and use the same screen shortcut?

No, it won't work. The "hack" for the PRS-T1 uses a different method, and I don't know if it can be activated this way (I don't own a PRS-T1).

mrWax

Jan 31, 2012
using nook touch tools

Hi!
-your app is nice!
-however i have sometimes problem with unexpected deactivation of norefresh. is there any chance of using nook touch tools of color tools to map for example small book icon on the top-left to start your app and toggle the no-refresh?

thx

marspeople

Jul 7, 2011
Hi!
-your app is nice!
-however i have sometimes problem with unexpected deactivation of norefresh. is there any chance of using nook touch tools of color tools to map for example small book icon on the top-left to start your app and toggle the no-refresh?

thx

Since I cannot avoid those automatic deactivations of NoRefresh by the system, this may be useful.

I've just implemented it, so now when you launch the app and it is already running, it will activate NoRefresh mode. So you can just use a shortcut to the app using NookTouchTools to activate.

I will add it to the first page post.

Reactions: mrWax and bobstro

Googie2149

Jan 6, 2012
Since I cannot avoid those automatic deactivations of NoRefresh by the system, this may be useful.

I've just implemented it, so now when you launch the app and it is already running, it will activate NoRefresh mode. So you can just use a shortcut to the app using NookTouchTools to activate.

You have no idea how happy this makes me.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Since the Nook A2 mode seems to be overridden when switching foreground activity, I've tried another approach with a background service which toggles A2 mode when requested by user. This way, the foreground activity isn't switched and "fast refreshing" mode works (until you change activity).

This fast refresh mode (called A2) is only possible because it uses only 1-bit depth, i.e, just black on white, meaning you can't see grayscale pictures but it's good enough for black text on white background and scrolling. I have not "created it", it is built-in from the device (you can test using the stock reader, it is activated when holding a page button). What I implemented is a way to activate and deactivate it at user will from inside any app.

Thanks to dairyknight for his N2EpdController class, which made this possible.
    Thanks to bardo8430 for bringing the idea.
    Thanks to AndroSS source code for screenshots used in automatic contrast.

Changelog:
    01/Mar: Now when you launch the app and it is already running, it will activate NoRefresh mode. So you can also use an activation shortcut to the app using NookTouchTools (i.e. B&N's book icon at top left corner).
    02/Mar: Improve activation shortcut to perform toggle between modes. Tap gestures aren't needed anymore (use "-noGestures" apk version if you don't want them).
    04/Mar: Got rid of initial ghosting by redrawing the screen after activating A2.
    04/Mar (2): Minor improvement of removing ghosting at screen edges.
    12/Mar (Beta): Now you can adjust contrast in A2 mode. Images shouldn't be dark or black anymore if you raise the contrast a bit.

22/May: Completely redesigned version 2.0:
    - Several options can be customized via settings screen.
    - NoRefresh can be toggled by manual app shortcut, tap gestures or automatically according to screen animation (new).
    - New App Whitelist to avoid unwanted activation in specific apps (except for manual mode).
    - Background service can be launched at boot.
    - Small improvements and tweaks.
    - Custom app icon (finally :D)

06/Jun: Fix crash on empty whitelist

08/Jul: (Version 2.1)
    - Automatic contrast when activating NoRefresh, according to total "brightness" of the screen (simple algorithm). This should ask you for root permission.
    - Also supports manual setting in specific situations (customizable).
    - Fix possible crash at startup.

26/Jul: (Version 2.2)
    - Fix contrast setting behaviour

06/Dec:
    - Alternative version with fixed compatibility for FW 1.2.0 available at https://github.com/marspeople/NoRefreshToggle/downloads

First Video: http://youtu.be/6pBPsyno5PY
    Other Video: http://youtu.be/kBbl6egyPsQ
    Another demo: http://youtu.be/5b7JjllImjM

Repository: https://github.com/marspeople/NoRefreshToggle
    Hi,

I am trying to put a code together to control the refresh behavior of the e-ink screen. The final goal is to have a drop-in library for app developers to help making their app more e-ink friendly.

The code works already for the PRS-T1, but needs a different driver for the Nook Touch (N2EpdController included).

My one and only beta tester gets the famous "There is a problem parsing the package" error. Pls find enclosed the sources.

I would be grateful if someone could fix possible Eclipse setting or other errors.
    Hi,

I finally surpassed all my laziness and improved NoRefresh app as I been wanting to do for a long time. Check it out at the first page.
    I've just implemented a new feature I think you'll enjoy.

Now you can adjust contrast setting for the NoRefresh/1-bit/A2 mode. Images shouldn't be dark or black anymore if you raise the contrast a bit. Actually, thanks to the B&W dithering to imitate grey, they may look nice too! (see video)

This is a more "beta" version, you can download at first page post.

Now let's hope someone can make this thing also play videos. :p
    Hi!
    -your app is nice!

thx