[Q] Please, Help installing CM11 (Noob here)

Search This thread

Jason2304

May 5, 2014
Hello there :)

I received a new HTC Sensation as a gift, It was bought from Ebay. It came with Stock 2.3. I would like some help on how to root, install CWM/4EXT and install Sultanxda's CM11 ROM. I also like Viper Rom but we all know Kitkat is in a lot of ways better than JB. I have already read the guides in the Forums,but that didn't help me much. This is my first Android phone but not necessarily the first phone I flash a Custom Rom to. I have some experience with LG and Samsung phones, but those are easier. In few words, could someone please answer this questions?

1) Do I need to update to ICS to install CM11? Also, how do I install CWM/4EXT and Root the phone?
2) Do I lose my network connectivity? I mean, do I have to backup something like IMEI data or EFS Folder? I don't live in the US (sorry for my bad english) and the phone is unlocked, dunno if that matters.
3) This may sound silly and stupid, but can I live without Gapps? I don't really need them, I can just install another market. Gapps use too much resources and the only Google Apps that I MAY use are Youtube and Chrome Browser. Also, I need to sync contacts but I already exported as Vcard file. I do not need Google Play or the other Google Apps.

Thanks for your help and advice

Sajito

Sep 1, 2013
Hello there :)

I received a new HTC Sensation as a gift, It was bought from Ebay. It came with Stock 2.3. I would like some help on how to root, install CWM/4EXT and install Sultanxda's CM11 ROM. I also like Viper Rom but we all know Kitkat is in a lot of ways better than JB. I have already read the guides in the Forums,but that didn't help me much. This is my first Android phone but not necessarily the first phone I flash a Custom Rom to. I have some experience with LG and Samsung phones, but those are easier. In few words, could someone please answer this questions?

1) Do I need to update to ICS to install CM11? Also, how do I install CWM/4EXT and Root the phone?
2) Do I lose my network connectivity? I mean, do I have to backup something like IMEI data or EFS Folder? I don't live in the US (sorry for my bad english) and the phone is unlocked, dunno if that matters.
3) This may sound silly and stupid, but can I live without Gapps? I don't really need them, I can just install another market. Gapps use too much resources and the only Google Apps that I MAY use are Youtube and Chrome Browser. Also, I need to sync contacts but I already exported as Vcard file. I do not need Google Play or the other Google Apps.

Thanks for your help and advice

To flash another rom you need to be s-off or to unlock your bootloader. I don't know exactly if you need to update to ICS, but I don't think so, it should be enough to update your firmware (as far as I know that's necessary). For kitkat roms you should use 4EXT.

You don't loose anything, but you can make a backup of your stock rom as it is with 4ext and save it to your computer.

Yes, you can live without gapps. You don't want them, don't flash them.

Ajax1337

Apr 14, 2014
To install a custom rom you need to do the following:

Get root access - go to htcdev.com select Sensation they will tell you what to do next

Install Custom Recovery - find an CWM TWRP or 4EXT image for Sensation here on XDA and flash it using fastboot

Get S-OFF - go to http://unlimited.io/juopunutbear.htm they will also guide you trough the process ( the most fun ive had unlocking, its like a game)

Then you are ready to flash custom roms. As for CM11 our device isnt supported officially though there are great CM11 based roms for our device.
Installing rom is easy dont worry when you are done unlocking the phone i can explain that also. If you have any further questions regarding any of the above procedures ill try to help. Cheers

Sajito

Sep 1, 2013
To install a custom rom you need to do the following:

Get root access - go to htcdev.com select Sensation they will tell you what to do next

Install Custom Recovery - find an CWM TWRP or 4EXT image for Sensation here on XDA and flash it using fastboot

Get S-OFF - go to http://unlimited.io/juopunutbear.htm they will also guide you trough the process ( the most fun ive had unlocking, its like a game)

Then you are ready to flash custom roms. As for CM11 our device isnt supported officially though there are great CM11 based roms for our device.
Installing rom is easy dont worry when you are done unlocking the phone i can explain that also. If you have any further questions regarding any of the above procedures ill try to help. Cheers

S-OFF is kinda usefull, but not necessary.

jmcclue

Apr 3, 2012
I would suggest -

revolutionary to s-off (easiest way)

flash the 3.32 or 3.33 firmware (needed for latest roms)

flash 4ext recovery (latest is 1.0.0.6) i can post it if u cant find it in link below.

Then ul have full control of ur phone and u can flash any rom in recovery. Link below has all u need.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1613295

jmcclue

Apr 3, 2012
there's a guide somewheres, you don't have to s-off. I'm not even sure what the benefit of s-off is.

Yes u dont need to s-off but it has many benefits (google to find out for urself) but the main reason i suggest it too some users is because normally the people that ask how to do this and how to do that r usually the people that panic when something goes wrong then they automatically think they need to run a ruu then the ruu fails then they ask questions later when they stuck. So for me to suggest s-off is for one reason only, supercid.. then when they get stuck they can run any ruu and not worry. Anyway to s-off using revolutionary is faster than unlocking ur bootloader via htcdev, so why not? And ul have FULL control of ur phone.

Ajax1337

Apr 14, 2014
Yes u dont need to s-off but it has many benefits (google to find out for urself) but the main reason i suggest it too some users is because normally the people that ask how to do this and how to do that r usually the people that panic when something goes wrong then they automatically think they need to run a ruu then the ruu fails then they ask questions later when they stuck. So for me to suggest s-off is for one reason only, supercid.. then when they get stuck they can run any ruu and not worry. Anyway to s-off using revolutionary is faster than unlocking ur bootloader via htcdev, so why not? And ul have FULL control of ur phone.

Revolutionary is an easier method than juopunutbear but the later editions of HTC Sensations (XE) are not supported. Mine came with HBoot 1.27 i think and maximum for the revolutionary is 1.18 (http://revolutionary.io/).

jmcclue

Apr 3, 2012
Revolutionary is an easier method than juopunutbear but the later editions of HTC Sensations (XE) are not supported. Mine came with HBoot 1.27 i think and maximum for the revolutionary is 1.18 (http://revolutionary.io/).

New or second hand/used? Sensations came with stock android 2.3.x including the xe, with the option to upgrade to ICS. i have the XE and normal senny. the op of this thread says he has a sensation stock 2.3.x so he should be ok for revolutionary.

Last edited:

jmcclue

Apr 3, 2012
I think we should just all wait till the OP actually replies so we know for sure what his bootloader details are, all these links for different methods is just gona confuse the xxxx outa him.

---------- Post added at 03:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:31 PM ----------

It was new came with preinstalled ICS. I bought it late, a year and some time ago.

Strange coz the ics upgrade was more a test than anything. Was there for users to install if they wanted it.

Ajax1337

Apr 14, 2014
I think we should just all wait till the OP actually replies so we know for sure what his bootloader details are, all these links for different methods is just gona confuse the xxxx outa him.

---------- Post added at 03:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:31 PM ----------

Strange coz the ics upgrade was more a test than anything. Was there for users to install if they wanted it.

Agreed on waiting...
Yea at some point in 2012 HTC stopped shipping Senny with Beats headphones (which i didnt care for anyway), then started shipping with stock ICS (http://www.phonearena.com/news/Whit...March-to-ship-with-Ice-Cream-Sandwich_id26512).

jmcclue

Apr 3, 2012
Agreed on waiting...
Yea at some point in 2012 HTC stopped shipping Senny with Beats headphones (which i didnt care for anyway), then started shipping with stock ICS (http://www.phonearena.com/news/Whit...March-to-ship-with-Ice-Cream-Sandwich_id26512).

Cool, did not know that. Strange that they shipped it with ICS coz it was not very good, had bugs and alot of users had wifi issues. The ICS sense 3.6 roms here on xda r good but htc"s update wasnt.