Amazon Prime Instant Video on Android tablets

Search This thread

gino_76ph

May 25, 2011
London
Hi there.

I currently own a Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 and i also happen to be an Amazon Prime member.

I would like to know how to access the Amazon Prime Instant Video streaming service running on my Android tablet please.

Thanks.

GSLEON3

Retired Senior Moderator
Hi there.

I currently own a Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 and i also happen to be an Amazon Prime member.

I would like to know how to access the Amazon Prime Instant Video streaming service running on my Android tablet please.

Thanks.

Buy an Amazon tablet, iPad, or a tablet running Android version 4.2 or lower.

Reactions: gino_76ph

tl3

Feb 9, 2014
... I currently own a Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 ...

... a tablet running Android version 4.2 or lower.

... i have a tablet already.

Is there a workaround?

I'm not a Prime member so I might be missing something here, but doesn't the stock Galaxy Note 8 have Android 4.1? :confused:

http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite/galaxynote/note8.0/specifications.html

Might inquire in the Galaxy Note 8 forum too--if you haven't already:

http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-note-8-0

If the Note is rooted, there seems to be a few 4.2 ROMs that might be suitable too... FYI.

gino_76ph

May 25, 2011
London
I'm not a Prime member so I might be missing something here, but doesn't the stock Galaxy Note 8 have Android 4.1? :confused:

http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite/galaxynote/note8.0/specifications.html

Might inquire in the Galaxy Note 8 forum too--if you haven't already:

http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-note-8-0

If the Note is rooted, there seems to be a few 4.2 ROMs that might be suitable too... FYI.

I'm sorry but this isn't my question.

My question is is there a workaround on how to access Amazon Prime Video on an Android tablet?

tl3

Feb 9, 2014
Yes, there's a workaround...

My question is is there a workaround on how to access Amazon Prime Video on an Android tablet?

The answer is 'yes', and I found the solution by Googling on the first shot. I would normally share the find but the snarky attitude isn't much motivation to help.

Reactions: gabesdaddee

GSLEON3

Retired Senior Moderator
Wish no more, it could be done. Verified the workaround on all my Android devices from Gingerbread to KitKat; viewing Amazon Instant Videos works just fine.

Really? There is NO way to watch HD Amazon content on any KitKat device. KitKat uses the Chomium webkit, so It ain't happening period. Now, you can use a browser that utilizes server-side rendering, but again, you are getting a compressed stream, NOT HD & a less than stellar bitrate at that.

The Note 8.0 released with 4.1, but has since been updated 4.2.2. It may still work using the flash apk (which Amazon tends to break from time to time with every DRM update), but you are still in the wrong forum OP.

tl3

Feb 9, 2014
... There is NO way to watch HD Amazon content on any KitKat device. KitKat uses the Chomium webkit, so It ain't happening period. Now, you can use a browser that utilizes server-side rendering, but again, you are getting a compressed stream, NOT HD & a less than stellar bitrate at that.

Used to be true, but outdated info now. Works on my Nexus 7 (2012) with 4.4.2, and it's not via HTML5. :)

gino_76ph

May 25, 2011
London
Used to be true, but outdated info now. Works on my Nexus 7 (2012) with 4.4.2, and it's not via HTML5. :)

I'm just wondering how come a company such as Amazon who builds/sells Kindle Fire tablets which are essentially Android tablets albeit forked versions (but still Android by heart) that they don't support other Android tablets in terms of an Amazon Prime Instant Video Android app.

The only workaround i see is watching it on my PS3 (which i can't carry on a train or bus when i'm travelling or when i'm on a holiday on a beach somehwere) or buy an iPad (which for me is not anymore viable as an Android tablet does all jobs for me) or a get a Kindle Fire tablet (which i've sold due to lack of apps albeit third-party stores) or email Amazon and wait till they realize that they need to create such an app.

Just bloody ridi:silly:cks!

geri.st

Aug 30, 2011

excuse me sir.
i used the forum search and this was the first thread i was redirected to. and the answer i get hiere: "well i know the answer, but i won't answer it just to tell this particular person a lessen, without facing the fact that other people may come around and would also like to know the anser"

maybe you could think over it and share your information with us

geri

QuAn64m

Oct 21, 2010
excuse me sir.
i used the forum search and this was the first thread i was redirected to. and the answer i get hiere: "well i know the answer, but i won't answer it just to tell this particular person a lessen, without facing the fact that other people may come around and would also like to know the anser"

maybe you could think over it and share your information with us

geri

get the amazon app via the amazon app shop (not from the playstore!) and just try. As i see it, there are now some devices working ok with it, and others are not working. This is the last thing i know. BTW i have an K-R42 (Android TV box) and its NOT working there. i dont know why. Is there anybody not as clueless as we are?!

thank you =)

Reactions: vincy24

jthspace

Nov 17, 2006
Amazon Prime Instant Video working on Chinese Tablet

Had a lot of fiddling about to get this working on my Chinese Tablet running 4.4.2 . . . :confused:

Teleread had the answer, so I am posting here and hopefully it will help others. The main bit didn't work, but scroll down the page to the posts from users and review the help given by CHRIS on September 17. It was HARD to get my tablet to download the Android Phone app (rather than the default TABLET app) as Google Playstore refused to show the phone app to me. I did a google search and found a link to the app that didn't use either google or amazon. Now I am watching Amazon Prime Videop on my Chinese ONDA iPad look-alike. :D

HOW TO

and the work-around to get it to work

Chris says:
September 17, 2014 at 3:45 pm

It was painful but I got it to work on 3 devices – a Samsung Galaxy Note 2, a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 (7.0) and an HTC Evo 4G LTE. Not intuitive would be an understatement! Here is what I did on each device in the order I did them.

1. Download and install the Amazon Appstore APK using link above.

2. Download and install the Instant Video (AIV) APK from the Amazon Appstore.
–At this point I got a runaround where the AIV app would direct me to a website which asked for my email which sent me a link to that same website. Frustrating. Turns out the AIV app runs through the Amazon shopping app – for PHONES – and you have to have the most updated version from the Google Play store.–

3. Download and/or update and install the Amazon shopping app from the Google Play store, PHONE VERSION (the tablet version I have on my Tab3 does NOT work but the phone one does).

4. Opened the Amazon shopping app from Google Play and signed in.

5. Opened the AIV app from the Amazon apps store and bingo!

Playback works well on 2/3 of my devices. It is super fuzzy on my HTC Evo 4G LTE but that is still running 4.1, my other two devices have KitKat and it works great.

Once it’s installed it’s nice but a pain in the ass to get up and running. Why Amazon? Why not just make a nice app for the Google Play store like everybody else? With their very nice Roku and iPad apps this antipathy to Android confuses me.
Unquote

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi there.

Thanks.

Buy an Amazon tablet, iPad, or a tablet running Android version 4.2 or lower.
    Yes, there's a workaround...

The answer is 'yes', and I found the solution by Googling on the first shot. I would normally share the find but the snarky attitude isn't much motivation to help.

My question is is there a workaround on how to access Amazon Prime Video on an Android tablet?[/QUOTE

From what I understand only approved devices hy amazon work. I am not aware of anyone successfully running prime video on a standard android device. I wish we could... http://www.amazon.com/gp/video/ontv/devices.
    ... I wish we could...

Wish no more, it could be done. Verified the workaround on all my Android devices from Gingerbread to KitKat; viewing Amazon Instant Videos works just fine.

Really? There is NO way to watch HD Amazon content on any KitKat device. KitKat uses the Chomium webkit, so It ain't happening period. Now, you can use a browser that utilizes server-side rendering, but again, you are getting a compressed stream, NOT HD & a less than stellar bitrate at that.

The Note 8.0 released with 4.1, but has since been updated 4.2.2. It may still work using the flash apk (which Amazon tends to break from time to time with every DRM update), but you are still in the wrong forum OP.