Disable HTC Sense on the Desire

Search This thread

bcmobile

Jan 9, 2009
Sydney
Exchange Sync

The main benefit I see in the Desire vs Nexus is the fact that the Desire can sync all Exchange objects (Mail, Calendar and Contacts at least) which is what has held me back from previous Android phones.

I assume this function is part of Sense. Can anyone confirm this?

brummiesteven

Aug 29, 2008
Birmingham
The better lock screen you're talking about, is that after disabling Sense? Which lock screen would that be, and what lock screen does the alternative have? And I always thought there were several lock screens to choose from - I've seen one where you make a pattern, one where you just flick the lock screen down, one where you "turn a wheel", and possibly some others, can't remember.

That's a lot of "lock screen" for one post o_O

There are 2 Lock Screens:

Stock Android:
http://www.theunwired.net/media/news/motorola_milestone_android_2.0.1_lock-screen.jpg

Pros :
Can mute phone from lockscreen.

Sense UI:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Q-JSg53A3...AFD4/6TWLdeIi3VY/s400/rosie7-lock-screen2.jpg

Pros:
1. Can set wallpaper of lockscreen independently from wallpaper of homescreen.
2. Message alerts in lockscreen (like screenshot) as opposed to just in tray
3. Music controls on lockscreen, like iphone.

AudunXetrov

Feb 8, 2010

Stock Android:
http://www.theunwired.net/media/news/motorola_milestone_android_2.0.1_lock-screen.jpg

Pros :

Sense UI:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Q-JSg53A3...AFD4/6TWLdeIi3VY/s400/rosie7-lock-screen2.jpg

Pros:

Hmm, tough choice. Would probably go for the Sense one, though, since I get a lot of texts, and since I usually only mute once or twice a day. What about the pattern lock screen I've seen?

AudunXetrov

Feb 8, 2010
Splitting your quote into two parts for further questioning it more easily :p
1.They're avaliable on all versions of android.
2. The pattern thing is more like a pin screen, not an unlock screen, if that makes any sense.

1. So I could easily change between the two locks screens? Without having to disable the whole Sense UI?
2. Do you mean that I could use the pattern instead of entering a PIN code when I turn on my phone?

Also, something I forgot to ask in my previous post: How do I mute the phone without the lock screen mute option? There's a stock widget for it, I believe? Is there also a way to do it with the hardware buttons (not really that important if there's a widget for it that I don't need to download, but I'm curious for options)?

brummiesteven

Aug 29, 2008
Birmingham
Splitting your quote into two parts for further questioning it more easily :p

1. So I could easily change between the two locks screens? Without having to disable the whole Sense UI?
2. Do you mean that I could use the pattern instead of entering a PIN code when I turn on my phone?

Also, something I forgot to ask in my previous post: How do I mute the phone without the lock screen mute option? There's a stock widget for it, I believe? Is there also a way to do it with the hardware buttons (not really that important if there's a widget for it that I don't need to download, but I'm curious for options)?

You know how on other phones you have a Lockscreen. But you also (most of the time) have the option of locking your phone with a pin? Entering the pin then goes to the main phone function as opposed to showing you you're lockscreen for you to then unlock.

The pattern thing is android's equivalent to a pin unlock. It's avaliable in all versions of android and most of the time will hide your lockscreen (unless you press back when at the pattern input section).

As for muting you use the volume controls at the side, there is also most likely a widget.

AudunXetrov

Feb 8, 2010
You know how on other phones you have a Lockscreen. But you also (most of the time) have the option of locking your phone with a pin? Entering the pin then goes to the main phone function as opposed to showing you you're lockscreen for you to then unlock.

The pattern thing is android's equivalent to a pin unlock. It's avaliable in all versions of android and most of the time will hide your lockscreen (unless you press back when at the pattern input section).

As for muting you use the volume controls at the side, there is also most likely a widget.

Okay, so I guess it's just a secure lock screen that replaces the option of locking your phone with a PIN?

For muting with the volume rocker, you just turn down the volume until it's completely off then? Wouldn't that be "risky", though? By that I mean, wouldn't the sound easily be turned back on in the pocket?

unCoRrUpTeD

Mar 22, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
The main benefit I see in the Desire vs Nexus is the fact that the Desire can sync all Exchange objects (Mail, Calendar and Contacts at least) which is what has held me back from previous Android phones.

I assume this function is part of Sense. Can anyone confirm this?

I'm not sure if it is sense, but I have a Sprint Hero and with the 2.1 Roms I am able to use exchange sync..

Now that I think about it, I think all Android 2.1's can do this.

The Professor

Jan 23, 2008
Yep, Exchange support got added in 2.0 to all Android flavors.

Problem I'm seeing: I cannot disable Sense. If I unlock the default and hit home, the standard Android launcher just does not show up. I have SlideScreen installed as well - if you hit home, you see Sense and SlideScreen as options and nothing else. It looks like they stripped the standard launcher out entirely.

I was hoping to get back to the standard so I could see if the unified inbox existed there, because it certainly doesn't in Sense, but now I'm foiled on two different fronts, heh.

Any ideas from the XDA folks? I might have to venture into rooting this thing faster than I anticipated.

MartiCode

Apr 10, 2010
Singapore
Problem I'm seeing: I cannot disable Sense. If I unlock the default and hit home, the standard Android launcher just does not show up. I have SlideScreen installed as well - if you hit home, you see Sense and SlideScreen as options and nothing else. It looks like they stripped the standard launcher out entirely.
That is also my experience : the only home available seems to be Sense, they removed the default one. :mad:

slaming

Feb 3, 2010
this has been discussed many times and the method shown on this video doesn't work the rpm they ship it with doesn't have the normal l home screen so when you close the process sense just starts again. to get it you have to download a different home thingy maboben

pina_

Mar 5, 2010
I have been looking for Home++ but didn't find anything.
Then tried Launcher2 but there are too many results, I don't know which one to take. I would like to test the stock Android 2.1 without Sense.

IronArcher6

May 7, 2009
I have a Desire for a few weeks now, with sense, and never had any lag.
I don't even use a Taskmanager, since Android takes care of its tasks on its own.

No lag, no loss of speed.

I had Windows Mobile on a TD2, believe me I know the frustration of lag ...

testies99

Oct 25, 2008
Your should take a look at Launcher Pro, it's by far the best replacement for Sense I've tried.
At the bottom of the screen where Sense puts Phone, Apps and Add widget, Launcher Pro puts Phone, Contacts, Apps, Messages and Internet.

Last edited:

redsuns

Apr 13, 2009

Stock Android:

Pros :

Sense UI:

Pros:

how do you set the wallpaper of lockscreen independently from wallpaper of homescreen?? any help?