Wifi Tethering?

Search This thread
Sep 7, 2012
I've heard that Foxfi doesn't work with the Droid DNA--is there any way to use turn this device into a mobile hotspot without having it pre-included in my data plan?

This is my first smartphone; I've been using my Nexus 7 and a dumb phone for the past few months now, and I felt I should upgrade to a smartphone since I'm not living on campus anymore. This seems like a great phone in and of itself, but I'd still like the option to tether my tablet. Any suggestions?

BigRed35m

Nov 26, 2012
As long as you are rooted, you can use WiFi Tether For Root Users (yellow WiFi bars picture) and it will tether just fine. You won't need to include tethering in a data plan to use it.

Sent from my HTC DNA.

Reactions: rfarrah

rfarrah

May 30, 2008
OKC
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
As long as you are rooted, you can use WiFi Tether For Root Users (yellow WiFi bars picture) and it will tether just fine. You won't need to include tethering in a data plan to use it.

Sent from my HTC DNA.

BigRed is right. Works great! Also, check these settings:

Device-Profile: Generic ICS/JN (wlan0)
Setup-Method: Auto
WiFi-driver reload: Checked
Routing fix: Checked

Reactions: ptrm2 and rajuabju

Bigandrewgold

Mar 26, 2011
I've heard that Foxfi doesn't work with the Droid DNA--is there any way to use turn this device into a mobile hotspot without having it pre-included in my data plan?

This is my first smartphone; I've been using my Nexus 7 and a dumb phone for the past few months now, and I felt I should upgrade to a smartphone since I'm not living on campus anymore. This seems like a great phone in and of itself, but I'd still like the option to tether my tablet. Any suggestions?

unless you have unlimited you dont need to pay for it in your data plan, they cant charge twice for limited data

morpheousrx

Dec 13, 2010
Wow....I cant seem to get wifi tether working. Have all the settings checked properly. Wlan0, routing fix, auto,....It starts with errors. Looking at the log all are red but three. Any suggestions?.....and no i cant use built in app....unlimited data i have...thanks in advance...

Sent from my Droid DNA using xda premium

droidmark

Oct 13, 2010
I am seeing exactly the same issue. Numerous errors on starting, unable to tether. Or more precisely, other devices can see the hotspot and tether to it, but do not get Internet access.

Last edited:

terrorist96

Jul 9, 2012
My main problem is that my phone will show up as a device instead of a router (like it used to on my OG Incredible), thus not allowing other phones or tablets to connect to it because they don't see the connection. Laptops work find though. I use "wireless tether for root users" with the green signal symbol and not the newer version because the new one doesn't show the data speeds and total data used in the app.

droidmark

Oct 13, 2010
I am using the latest yellow version and both my Galaxy Note and Lenovo laptop tether to it but do not get Internet access.

shizumie

Jan 25, 2011
Hortense
sorry for jumping on old post.

Just wondering. On my moto droidbrazr maxxbi did an sqlight hack to bypass the entitlement check and was able to use the stock hotspot app even though i was on unlimited data. Would a similar work around work for dna?

WookieFan

Nov 21, 2010
NYC area
LOL for anyone still using the DNA, I just installed NuSense Six and FoxFi works perfectly - not ad-hoc, full infrastructure mode, so it will work with devices other than PCs.

xowgax

Nov 22, 2012
Wow....I cant seem to get wifi tether working. Have all the settings checked properly. Wlan0, routing fix, auto,....It starts with errors. Looking at the log all are red but three. Any suggestions?.....and no i cant use built in app....unlimited data i have...thanks in advance...

Sent from my Droid DNA using xda premium

I'm using all stock roms (I was s-off and flashed stock recovery, grabbed OTAs, flashed TWRP recovery). I installed SuperSU & BusyBox than was able to tether using Barnacle Wifi Tether~ it gave me an error for adhoc but I was able to click associate and use my 4g on an iPad.(Also checked external IPs & ran speedtests to confirm it was using 4G)

Last edited:

mdphoenix

Dec 15, 2006
Bel Air, MD
Not working for me. It gets stuck at "please wait while starting". And just spins. I can back out of it but nothing good happens.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here are the settings that are working for me on ViperDNA 1.1.2

WiFi Tether 3.3-pre2

Device Profile: HTC Rezound
    Setup Method: Netd-Ndc (MASTER)
    WiFi Driver Reload: Checked
    Keep Alive-Connection Check: Checked
    Routing Fix: Checked

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3lpeetyod11rn5a/wifi_tether_v3_3-pre2.apk

Sent from my HTC DNA.

BigRed is right. Works great! Also, check these settings:

Device-Profile: Generic ICS/JN (wlan0)
    Setup-Method: Auto
    WiFi-driver reload: Checked
    Routing fix: Checked

Sent from my HTC DNA.