Nexus 7 defects?

Where did you receive your defective Nexus 7 from?

• Google Play Store

Votes: 706 57.7%
  • GameStop

Votes: 77 6.3%
  • ebuyer

Votes: 61 5.0%
  • Staples

Votes: 140 11.4%
  • Office Depot

Votes: 71 5.8%
  • Sams Club

Votes: 40 3.3%
  • Adorama

Votes: 15 1.2%
  • Walmart

Votes: 92 7.5%
  • Best Buy

Votes: 56 4.6%

• Total voters
Search This thread

mi7chy

Oct 26, 2008
I have seen 3 (my 2 so far and the floor model at office max) that have the screen lift defect I am skeptical that there are any without it. But there are many people that say they have a perfect one. So there must be a dozen or so out there.

---------- Post added at 11:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 PM ----------

I haven't checked do we get $25 when we sign on to the replacement Nexus 7's? We will be rich in terms of google play dollars.

One $25 credit per Google account regardless of how many Nexus 7's you own.

Luna_Sky

Jul 24, 2012
How can I tell if I am having a screen separation problem? I gently press on the left and right sides - I hear nothing and notice I am not really able to cause it to press down on the right side. On the left side though, if I press down, while holding it to my ear, I will hear a slight creaking sound.. Is this a sign?! Or is it normal? It cannot be heard if I am holding it away from my face.

I hope it is okay to ask here! If not, I apologize

lazaro17

Jan 10, 2009
Miami, FL
How can I tell if I am having a screen separation problem? I gently press on the left and right sides - I hear nothing and notice I am not really able to cause it to press down on the right side. On the left side though, if I press down, while holding it to my ear, I will hear a slight creaking sound.. Is this a sign?! Or is it normal? It cannot be heard if I am holding it away from my face.

Just look at the screen in relation to the bezel on the left. The right side sits flush while the left is raised above the bezel.

I get creaks on mine but it doesn't even take much of a press at this point even just regular swipes and taps near that area causes creaks and screen movement for me. Still waiting on GameStop to get more for an exchange.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Luna_Sky

Itsfugginhot

Jul 18, 2012

If you can move the screen down you've got an issue. You don't HAVE to hear something. If your screen goes down or sets flush......you've got an issue.

Its a small issue to start so I imagine a lot of people don't notice initially. Mine 1st and 2nd ones had it bad.

Reactions: Luna_Sky

Luna_Sky

Jul 24, 2012
If you can move the screen down you've got an issue. You don't HAVE to hear something. If your screen goes down or sets flush......you've got an issue.

Its a small issue to start so I imagine a lot of people don't notice initially. Mine 1st and 2nd ones had it bad.

Thanks for the input! So, the fact that I am able to barely push down a portion of the left side is a bad thing, right? There isn't a huge lift that I can see, but I am able to push it down just a little bit, and like I said, I cannot do this on the right side on any spot. I was considering returning it and getting an exchange before posting this.. Would you suggest I continue with that plan? Lol

PROlific666

Jun 23, 2012
Crestview
I have seen 3 (my 2 so far and the floor model at office max) that have the screen lift defect I am skeptical that there are any without it. But there are many people that say they have a perfect one. So there must be a dozen or so out there.

---------- Post added at 11:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 PM ----------

I haven't checked do we get $25 when we sign on to the replacement Nexus 7's? We will be rich in terms of google play dollars.

Your just having really bad luck. My first one had a dead pixel but no screen lift or creaking. I returned it for a new one and this one has zero problems. There is a thread on here where people have bought up to 3 for one household and all were perfect. I'm skeptical that 50% of these complaints are even from nexus 7 owners and not apple fanboys who are pissed. You would think that out of all the great reviews this tablet has received that at least one of the reviewers would have received a defective device if it is as widespread as reading these forums would have you believe. The whole twit.tv crew has bought these and none of them has had any problems. Go look at the "Am I the only one with a flawless N7?" thread on this page if you have doubts about the existence of non defective units. And no you only get one 25 dollar credit. I was hoping I would get two but each account only gets one, however, If you have another Google account with a credit card registered to it then you can get one on that account using just one tablet. Just sign in under that account.

Last edited:

theoneofgod

Dec 1, 2011
Xiaomi Poco F3
I've had mine since the first shipments in the UK, it has a slight raise on the left side so it pops when you press it and let go.
Decided I had enough, set up an RMA with Ebuyer, returning it today. I will wait for a bit before buying another, the manufacturing process should have been improved.

Outrager

Jun 14, 2012
Your just having really bad luck. My first one had a dead pixel but no screen lift or creaking. I returned it for a new one and this one has zero problems. There is a thread on here where people have bought up to 3 for one household and all were perfect. I'm skeptical that 50% of these complaints are even from nexus 7 owners and not apple fanboys who are pissed. You would think that out of all the great reviews this tablet has received that at least one of the reviewers would have received a defective device if it is as widespread as reading these forums would have you believe. The whole twit.tv crew has bought these and none of them has had any problems. Go look at the "Am I the only one with a flawless N7?" thread on this page if you have doubts about the existence of non defective units. And no you only get one 25 dollar credit. I was hoping I would get two but each account only gets one, however, If you have another Google account with a credit card registered to it then you can get one on that account using just one tablet. Just sign in under that account.

I really don't think it's some Apple conspiracy where Apple fanboys are making up posts. It could be just bad luck for some people or maybe specific regions/retailers are getting the majority of defective ones so when someone gets a replacement they still get one messed up.

stingfeelgood

Feb 3, 2011
I am going to be receiving my third unit tomorrow. The first one had screen lift and blown speaker. The second one had notorious lift and the silver plastic bezel was buckled. Plus some backlight bleed. Google assured me in the email that my third unit would not have these problems. We shall see...

Exino

Jul 14, 2012
I am going to be receiving my third unit tomorrow. The first one had screen lift and blown speaker. The second one had notorious lift and the silver plastic bezel was buckled. Plus some backlight bleed. Google assured me in the email that my third unit would not have these problems. We shall see...

Keep us posted. I've gone through four so far, all had the screen lift, and on top of that one had bad back light bleeding.

mizatt

Dec 7, 2011
I had screen lift and extreme washout on my first unit. It took them about a week after I called support to ship a replacement unit (they said they were escalating it to tier 2, then sent me an email 5 or 6 days later with RMA information) but it has been just about perfect. No screen lift or washout, certainly. I hope some of you guys have as much luck with the replacement process as I did.

zepol22

Aug 2, 2012
Problems became aparent after a week.

Was using my Nexus 7 for almost a week and was loving it. It came with some dents on the silver border but they didn't really bother me.

One night I go to do some reading and notice a small black dot in the upper left corner. Find out it's a dead pixel. It definitely wasn't there when I first got it. While debating whether or not to return, I start to hear some creaking in the bottom right corner of the device. Screen lift.

Both of these issues developed due to light use. I wasn't playing any games or anything else that would push the device. Just web browsing and reading. I contacted Google yesterday and got an email response saying they are experiencing a "High demand" of people trying to contact them for a replacement. Still haven't heard back and its been about 27 hours since I got the reply.

Draje0

Jun 14, 2011
First unit had multitouch axis crossing. It's replacement had the same thing. After getting sick of the pend the Google Play Store put on my account, I went out to Staples and bought a Nexus 7 there. Same issue.

I'm starting to wonder if this issue affects all units.

Euthye

Jul 15, 2012
2 weeks into ownership my Nexi has developed screen raise, any news of Google recognising the issue and doing a recall/issuing a fix??

Overall I'm very happy with my Nexus as it does what I want, tbh I can live with the raise if it stays at 1 tenth of a mm and has no effect on operations.

Outrager

Jun 14, 2012
First unit had multitouch axis crossing. It's replacement had the same thing. After getting sick of the pend the Google Play Store put on my account, I went out to Staples and bought a Nexus 7 there. Same issue.

I'm starting to wonder if this issue affects all units.

Mine did not have the multitouch axis crossing issue, but had a tiny bit of screen lift and screen flicker.

cr2crf

Aug 2, 2012
Right out of the box, perfect. Then in the first five minutes it calls for an upload. So I do. Then the screen turns bright red. Now the returns start. The worst part, the two IPads sitting on the table that came flawless and have never looked back. Asus needs to up their quality fast.

WizeGuyDezignz

Jun 12, 2008
San Diego
So I think that I FINALLY got a working unit. I am not joking, this is unit number 6!

I shouldn't, but I will bore you anyways with my journey. My original order was an 8gb pre-order from the Play Store. That one had major screen raise and flickering. I got a replacement from the Play Store which was unit #2. That one didn't have much of a raised screen but it had horrible flickering.

Once I got that one, I got a full refund from the Play Store. Unit #3 was bought locally at a Staples store. That one had a raised screen and flickering. Unit #4 was my coworker's JR order. That one had a raised screen and in disgust I didn't even check for flickering.

Unit #5 was locally from Walmart yesterday. That one was great! No screen raise and no flickering but the device WOULD NOT charge while the it was powered on. It would charge when powered off though, it was the weirdest thing! That was a problem that I haven't heard of through this whole Nexus 7 debacle. After trying multiple chargers and factory resets, I exchanged it this morning.

Now the one from this morning seems to be the winner! No screen raise or flickering that I can see.

TKG26

Aug 29, 2008
hope this can been seen. There seems to be distinct lines of grey color change.. Normal?

Anyone? Is this normal. I did an LCD test and grey shows horrizontal lines.. other colors fine. similar to this image

Screenshot_2012-07-29-20-44-10.jpg

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have a theory too, nothing in life is perfect, or pristine. Even the hottest super model gets a pimple on her ass from time to time, and I wouldn't ship her off just because of a blemish. No company makes a perfect product, and people, due to an irrational OCD with electronics want it 100% perfect, and as long as people are assembling these products, there will be imperfections. The sad part is, the vast majority of the things people return electronics for do not impact the use of the product, and are barely visable to the naked eye. We love to put everything under a microscope, though. Gotta have something to freak out about, I suppose.

Soooooo everyone should just be happy with their defective N7's because a product working 100% the way it is supposed to is too much to ask for?
    I pre-ordered mine from the Play Store on the 28th with the case. I have received no word or email or nothing yet on when/if mine is being shipped. Not a peep. Though it does bring a tiny sparkle to my eye to see all the people that bashed Google just because Gamestop was giving them out so early, only for so many of the GameStop ones to have issues thus far.

I hope mine is flawless. If it has lightbleed issues, Ill return it depending on how severe. If it has flickering issues, those wont bother me unless it is severe and happening with just about every page refresh etc. If mine has a little separation from the back of the device, I'll first try to push it back in place, if that doesn't work, I will throw my cover on there and see if that helps with the issue. If not and the squeaking becomes a nuissance from just normal use rather than being a very very occasional thing, I'd probably return it.

For me it all depends on the severity of the issue I may encounter if it is worth the trouble of having it replaced.
    But my original point: It is not unreasonable for every single person that ordered a Nexus 7 to have a completely defect-free device.
    So your "not everyone or everything is perfect!" argument is just flawed and invalid.
    My screen doesn't lift but I'm noticing a little creaking on the left side. It only happens really when I squeeze the tablet which I normally wouldn't do. Am I being picky thinking about returning it or should I be happy my screen is level and just live with it?

Take my advice. If everything else is working properly, keep it. It's not worth nitpicking over something like this and then getting another unit with worse problems. You'll regret it.
    Excellent device but mine isn't flush on the right side of the screen. (Portrait)
    After a few hours of use it's starting to pop if you press midway on the bezel.

The problem seemed to be getting worse today but after hearing it's just a clip (not glue) - I resorted to force.
    I needed to put quite a bit of pressure (more than seems safe) to do it, but it has properly clicked back into place now.
    Smooth the side back into place then pinch it firmly with your thumb and forefinger in the middle of your 'rise'.
    (turn your screen off if you're squeamish - you will hear a loud click when it goes back in)

DEFINITELY FIXED :good:

WARNING: THIS CAN BREAK YOUR SCREEN

For clarity, I didn't have any dents in the bezel. Try to spread any pressure on the screen side. Pinch the bezel together, not the lcd panel.
    Your problem might be different to mine, so try this at your own risk.

pinch-bezel.jpg
    all those sold by the play store were recalled from their shipping hubs due to ASUS's defects. Hence the delay. When we receive our devices, they should be defect free.

Please stop making things up. People might start believing it.
    They may have had a flaky bunch initially, but my personal theory is that these defects are occurring because it's been so hot this summer (at least in the us). Just hear me out out on this one: they put your pristine N7 in the back of xyz shipping truck, which then promptly heats up to over 100 degrees in the summer sun. At that temp, the metal starts expanding, the glue softens, you get a timely bump in the road, and BAM you have a damaged device. That seems plausible, at least to me. Another thing to worry about, as my N7 is coming fro. CALIFORNIA into the hot south.