[Q] Help with rooting China Version Galaxy SM-N9006 N9006ZCUDMK2

Search This thread

tianze

Jan 5, 2014
Hey all!

So I finally rid myself of my Apple devices since their support bricked my iPad and refuses to fix it! I got myself a sweet Galaxy Note 3 and love it so far! My issue is that I'm currently living in China for work and my phone is the Chinese Version: SM-N9006 running Android 4.3 with build: J2215J.N9006ZCUDMK2. The AP/CP is N9006ZCUDMK2. I managed to get into the English Samsung app store via VPN and removing the sim card, however, I still cannot get any Google apps since I don't have Google Play installed.

The phone was purchased about a week ago and should be the most recent phone and software version.

Yes, I'm prolly by far the biggest noob in this forum and I'm pooping my pants to brick it somehow XD but well, there's a beginning for everything... I've been on Apple for very long and a bit overwhelmed with the Android platform. So far I've read a couple of sites, forums, discussions, etc. on the benefits of rooting the phone. I found a pretty good explanation on this site by michael1982t:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2495375&page=4
So I have a few questions and would greatly appreciate if someone would take the time and get back at me.

The instructions were writting in October 2013. How relevant are they? Are there any new versions or methods on how to root the Note 3?
Would you guys suggest that this is the way to do it?

In many forums I read about rooting the China Version Note 3 SM-N9006... however, it states that it is the N9006ZCUDMI2 or MI3 version... I have the -MK2 version. Is that a big deal? Will that cause me some kind of software conflict? I have no idea what this number stands for :(

I'm a bit worried about KNOX and not being able to get into the phone again. I have the activation service turned off and don't really care about the 1 year China-only warranty.

Once the phone is rooted, I then can install the US Platform on it that has all English Apps, Google Store, etc? So from what I understand I would format the phone and play the US platform on it? Or would I just tweak the apps, remove the unwanted Samsung bloatware and Chinese Apps? Would I need the official Android platform or are there any "better" platforms to use? I read something about flashed/roms or gingerbread OS that give much more flexibility and control as to using the phone and getting the most out of it.

I'm running Windows 7. Is Windows XP essential since it is described in the post? I wouldn't think so but I better ask.

From what I read, the only software I need to download to my pc are:
ODIN, CWM recovery and CF-AutoRoot - is that all? Or would someone recommend anything else.
Do I need Samsung Kies at all?

I hope perhaps someone has had the same phone and questions and got an answer or somehow figured it out. I greatly appreciate any help!
Cheers!!