Ace Think Tank [Noob friendly - softbricks, bootloops, edify, etc]

Search This thread

Teichopsia

Feb 26, 2012
Panama
If you are serious about Android then be prepared to read - that is the one thing which will separate you from the average user.

To get you started you will need to know a few basics before you can start contributing to a community which has dedicated themselves in bringing better Operating Systems (Roms) to our phones. By knowing these basic steps you will be able to help iron out bugs from whatever Rom you have decided to keep on your phone and thus, improving your own user experience.

If you are completely new to this then you should read Glevitan's Starter Guide. It contains everything you need to know and it is a mandatory prerequisite before you can post in this thread seaking help.

Now that you have read and understood some of the terminology and how to recover from possible issues, you can root your phone with the A high-level DHD/Inspire manual S-OFF hack concept for advanced users [NOTE: The AAHK HAS BEEN RETIRED FOR NOOBS. IT IS FOR ADVANCE USERS ONLY. REFER TO THIS STICKY INSTEAD [How to] ROOT without the Hack Kit] Even if you do encounter issues, knowing the terminology, what you did and what went wrong will help communicating your issue so we can find a way to solve it. If you read the starter guide you should know that we don't recommend using HTC dev to unlock your bootloader. However, if you did go this route you can read this helpful guide: [NOOB] Flashing a custom ROM & getting it to boot IF bootloader is htcdev unlocked. And finally, our own resident and esteemed Glevitan is working on a tool to make it easier for you all. [ROOT] [TOOL] Easy Ace Root Tool

After having spent some time in the XDA threads reading a lot more than what you should post, you will have realized that almost any question you could possibly think about has already been asked over a dozen times and why so many emphasize the importance of searching for your answer first. You would also come to realize what are the benefits of setting up ADB. Among one of ADB (Android debug Bridge - [GUIDE] ADB - Usage, Tips, Tricks and More! and [GUIDE]ADB Workshop and Guide for everyone) uses is creating logcats. These logcats help developers finding what is causing a bug and how to fix it. This is a quick [Tutorial] How To Logcat. However, this quick tutorial will only help you get started. Keep in mind that apps like aLogcat or Catlog could shorten important output from the log. Another one: Learn to logcat like a Pro!

To be able to help developers create a better user experience for us, we need to create a bug report. The reason why we first need to search the forum is to avoid confusing the developer by cluttering the thread with repeated reports, of bugs and questions which as mentioned earlier, most likely have already been asked. To have a better understanding of the different instances we can create logs, then have a look at: [TUT]Report a bug I do believe this can not be emphasized enough and thus, what better way than reading it from existz own words.

Making your own Android Rom: Some advice..

You can find some relevant and not so relevant links in the second and third post.

Forum Rules
A Short Guide To Open-Source And Similar Licenses

Team:
Gizmoe
Bananagranola
Glevitan
Teichopsia
GuyInTheCorner
Muikkuman
sashank
hdorius

We are all here attempting to return what the community has given us - constantly deconstructing the OP in lieu of a better organization.

Last edited:

Teichopsia

Feb 26, 2012
Panama
Thread Index

Page#1, post#7 Noob Starter Guide by Glevitan.

Goes to a different thread (Guide) (Beginners) You have rooted your phone, now what can you do Thanks to GuyintheCorner.

Goes to a different thread Steps to flashing ROM - Thanks to sashank.

Page#1, post#8 FAQ's by Hdrorius.

Page#18, post#179 Booting into recovery, Full wipe and flashing, How to restore after formatting the SD card.

Page#1, post#9 [GUIDE] ADB - Usage, Tips, Tricks and More!, thanks to andyharney.

Page#14, post#133 [Tutorial] How To Logcat Thanks to andyharney. This will take you directly to the OP.

Page #2, post #19 "I have the SanDisk Class 10 64GB MicroSD card and it works flawlessly in my DHD." Thanks to Blasphemer666 for the report.

Page#3, post#24 Radio - Location mapping project by Xeleth.

Page#4, post#35 CPU+FAN+Overclocking brief discussion, Continues here, And here, Here as well, One more, Another one, Doesn't seem to end, Finally Ending in post#42

Page#5, post#45 British cure for Hangovers - by a 15yr old

Page#9, post#82 How to check which camara sensor you have, thanks to GuyInTheCorner.

Page#18, post#172 Radio, Ril discussion.

Page#22, post#213 Random Links

Page#28, post#273 A little guide on flashing radios the PD98IMG.zip way Thanks to Xeleth - link will take you to the OP.

Page#37, post#368 Enabling the right click button in LinuxMint It all started on post#316. A special thanks to bananagranola for the step by step guidance.

Page#40, post#396 [NOOB] Flashing a custom ROM & getting it to boot IF bootloader is htcdev unlocked Thanks to sashank.

Page#52, post#514 [TUT] Edify Scripts (Creating flashable zips) Thanks to sashank.

Page#57, post#569 Inspire - Aroma Installer calibration values.

Page#67, post#668 Links to learn how to program.

Page#69, post#687 Stuff to say about dalvik cache and data wiping. Thanks to sashank, continues on post #689.

Page#76, post#757 adb devices not listed linux Udev, Udev Rules, etc., still under construction.

Page#78, post#776 pd98img.zip / 4ext touch recovery RC7.

Page#83, post#822 Short flashable zip explanation / guide. Thanks to bananagranola.

Page #164 [Guide][How to]Disable hardware key and light functions. thanks to hdorius.

Gold Card Generator Kinda a do it yourself thing.

Page#200, post#1992 Links to learn Java and Linux - but mostly linux

Last edited:

Teichopsia

Feb 26, 2012
Panama
Links​

Freenode IRC chan. #htc-ace - DHD/Inspire, a place to hang out and generally talk about anything pertaining to these devices. Thanks to synergydev.
#AceRoot - S-OFF support, Thanks to Glevitan

XDA University

[Lists]Guide Ride-From a Newbie to a Dev, Get all you need here

Android Debug Bridge.

zeppelinrox

[RC9] ULTIMATIC RC6! [EXE]-=Ultimate Jar Power Tools=-With Maximum MultiTasking Mods!

Hboot explained. thanks to cee43ja1 for the links.

[COLLECTION][TWEAKS]build.prop tweaks[8 JUNE]
[REF][TWEAKS] Kernel Governors, Modules, I/O Schedulers, CPU Tweaks, AIO App Configs
a list of build.prop tweaks
Android Terms,Slang & Definitions

{HELP} Interactive Help Forum!{TUTORIALS} Where questions are encouraged!
[Reference] Interactive Phone Modification [GUIDE]

RUU (ROM Upgrade Utility): How to extract files from a RUU.

[HOW TO] Beginners Guide to Android ROM Development
[Guide]Complete Android ROM development and essential tutorials ~~ By Nero Young ~~
[GUIDE] How to port Stock/GB/CM7/CM9/ICS/CM10/JB Based ROMs
[GUIDE] [how to] CREATE OWN ROM [FOR ANY ANDROID DEVICE] [FOR N00B] [EASIEST METHODS]
[Tutorial] Compile JB on Ubuntu
[Tutorial] Compile ICS on Ubuntu
[Tutorial][Oct. 19, 2011] Compile AOSP Gingerbread on Ubuntu
[Guide] How to use Github
[Guide] How to set up ADB and Build Android with fedora KDE

dsixda's Android Kitchen
[Kitchen] Easy Development Studio
Ultimate Apk Workshop
[MULTI-TOOL] StudioAndroid (cross-platform)
[CM10] [PPA] Cyanogenmod Compiler v0.6
[UTILITY] Android Utility - [apktool|dex2jar|smali|more][Mac & Linux][Feb13, 2012]
[KITCHEN]Android Kernel Kitchen 0.3.1 (Linux / Windows)

[INFO] WaccoPedia - Sharing is Caring Thanks to hdorius for the link.

A quick tutorial on SplashScreens by Glevitan

[ATTN - ALL ANDROID DEVS] General Public License

Last edited:

q:)

Aug 4, 2012
I'm a Noob, and I appreciate the help.

Sent from my Desire HD using xda app-developers app

glevitan

Nov 8, 2011
Buenos Aires
www.arreviewers.com
INDEX

ABSTRACT

The present document pretends to guide the noobs and not so noobs in their flashing / modding / theming way. It covers what the team thought is the basic stuff you should be in knowledge of and may be the most helpful. Any suggestions about the contents or stuff that you think should be included are welcomed, just let us know.

Guide Index

1.Basic Stuff: In this section you will find the common language that is related to Android / HTC Ace devices. This is fundamental for you to understand how things work.

2.Rooting: THIS IS OUT OF SERVICE...CHECK THE UNLOCKING BOOTLOADER TOOL IN PARAGRAPH 4

3.Fixing a messed bootloader: You are not good at listening advices or reading for comprehension. You flashed a froyo RUU or hboot in your GB shipped device? Thank God attn1 was around. This is the Hboot fix for you. All credits go for the Hack Kit Channel devs. I have not done anything but put it here

4.HTCDEV tool: So far, this is the best and only way to do the flashing stuff....

5.Unrooting: In case you need to take your phone to the service centre or lost your mind and want the stock rom back (is there anybody that actually does? :cyclops:) ) you will find everything you need to know here.

6.Flashing roms: The right steps to flash successfully a custom rom…you can´t miss it. If you do, then you haven´t read carefully.

7.Doing / Restoring a nandroid backup: In case you mess it or you don't like what you get on a new rom, a nand backup is what will save your A**. Follow the path and you will see the light at the end of the tunnel.

8.Radio / RILs: All the radio / RILs related issues, follow this or you will regret it!!

9.Kernels: Everything you always wanted to know about kernels but you didn't dare to ask. Links on line now..:silly:

10.Trouble shooting: I guess this will be the most visited section of the guide. OF COURSE YOU DIDN´T READ THE ABOVE. NOW YOU ARE HERE BUDDY FIX YOURSELF A GOOD READ :mad:

11.Customization: For those who would like to start customizing your devices, here you will find a good point of start but THIS IS JUST THE BEGUINNING :cool:[/QUOTE]

12.Battery drain issues: I HAVE FLASHED A NEW ROM AND MY BATTERY IS DRAINING WAY TO FASSSSSST!. Well that could be normal, just read and learn before you run out of battery...lol

Find the document here: http://d-h.st/Ii2

Last edited:

hdorius

Jan 17, 2011
FAQ & Notice

FAQ :

• What Is the Best Battery,Performance GB/ICS/JB ROM?
    There is no best ROM, the opinion of each ROM is different from one person to the other, it is subjective.
  • Is there a recommended Radio for ROM x?
    There isn't a recommended radio for any ROM, since the Radio depends where you live, it is best to test each one for a few days to see which one works best for you.
  • Can I Flash RIL For AOSP ROM?
    No, the RIL is sense based ROM,AOSP RIL is provided in the ROM
  • How Can I Boot in Recovery/Bootloader if My Volume Rocker is Broken?
    You must setup adb and then the command:
    adb reboot recovery/bootloader
  • Why Don't We Have Any OFFICIAL CM9 ROM?
    Because the CM team always makes everything work (camera, camcorder, etc) and since we don't have the kernel 3.0 source, there isn't any OFFICIAL CM ROM from them.
  • Is There Any Official Rooted Sense 3.0 ROM?
    Yes, There it is
Notice when Posting On the Dev Thread :
  • Please Read the First Post, It Usually Stated What's Working and Not Working
  • Don't Post Any THANKS, just use the thanks button
  • Don't Even Ask ETA of the ROM, the ROM will update when it's ready
  • Full Wipe Is Recommended when Updating the ROM, but also can try it without (this is basic,even if it's not stated on 1st post)

Last edited:

Teichopsia

Feb 26, 2012
Panama
After a full wipe including sd card, to restore a backup mount sd card to pc, create the folder "clockworkmod/backup" place backup there - unmount, flash.

Is there a way to flash a backup using adb? If yes, do the folders need to be created or not and what would the command be? I couldn't find an answer for that.

Edit: Answer is no. Why? I have no clue. :p

Sent from a dream.

Last edited:
Reactions: GuyInTheCorner

glevitan

Nov 8, 2011
Buenos Aires
www.arreviewers.com
After a full wipe including sd card, to restore a backup mount sd card to pc, create the folder "clockworkmod/backup" place backup there - unmount, flash.

Is there a way to flash a backup using adb? If yes, do the folders need to be created or not and what would the command be? I couldn't find an answer for that.

Sent from a dream.

ok, I will start tonight at home....let's start from the beguining...we can not forget the section...Can I mess my bootloader for not reading? YESSSSS...hahahaha

Teichopsia

Feb 26, 2012
Panama
+1 adding him will get us some recognition and a solid backgroud

Sent from my Desire HD with BlackIce.
Thanks don't hurt ya know?! :)

Just will have to wait for his reply. Wanna help glevitan with finding relevant threads? Pm these if you find links. I.e. not able to boot, bricked, qsoad or whatever error and so forth. The more comolete the better.

Maybe i could make the FAQ that usually asked in Q&A..if u have something to add just tell me,i will add it :)

Looking good. It would also be nice to add in a different post tips for porting/rom dev or whatever it is you know to do :D

I'll search to see if I can find anything.

Sent from a dream.

Last edited:

glevitan

Nov 8, 2011
Buenos Aires
www.arreviewers.com
Bumping myself cause I can. Anyone?

@hdorius - what do you know to do? Didn't you port paranoidandroid? The faq's look good but needs some editing/correction. Where are you from? What's your first language? Do you need help with that?

@Guy - what happened buddy? In the previous page I suggested a few things. Apps? It depends what the others think. I don't see this as a standard.

@miukkuman - where are you?
By the way, where are you from? What do you know to do in the android world or what are you interested in learning?

@everyone - the idea behind this thread is:
- I rather ask each one of you to tell me what you understood which is the idea behind this thread - what you understood. If you didn't understand then I'll need to find a better way to explain myself.

Don't forget to let me know if you know the adb question above.

Sent from a dream.

ok, before sending the file via PM, I can answer you...there's no choice of restoring a backup from adb. That is the same as flashing a Custom Rom....those files are packed in a certain way that won't be possible to be flashed in hboot (PD98IMG.zip) way.

Teichopsia

Feb 26, 2012
Panama
ok, before sending the file via PM, I can answer you...there's no choice of restoring a backup from adb. That is the same as flashing a Custom Rom....those files are packed in a certain way that won't be possible to be flashed in hboot (PD98IMG.zip) way.

Thanks bub, so no can do. I don't believe in 'no can do's :cool:

Did you read my question about the hboot interface in the other thread? This, and the above question is simply a language (which I know absolutely nothing about) - there must be a way to get them talking to each other.

Sent from a dream.

hdorius

Jan 17, 2011
I'm from Indonesia mate, my first language is Indonesian... But i also know English, so i think i dont have any problem with it...
And regarding to the FAQ, you said that it needs to some correction... And you want me to add some porting guide on it?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Teichopsia

Feb 26, 2012
Panama
I'm from Indonesia mate, my first language is Indonesian... But i also know English, so i think i dont have any problem with it...
And regarding to the FAQ, you said that it needs to some correction... And you want me to add some porting guide on it?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Anything you like really, it's your show. Porting? There are plenty guides for that. If you know any good ones I can link them in the third post. Can you look through the ones I posted to see which are good and if there are any ones that are repetitive or if there are better ones than the ones I posted? Especially the flashable zip link, since I don't know anything about that, maybe there is a betrer one or a guide or a tool for it?

I'll pm you in about 20 minutes.

Sent from a dream.

Blasphemer666

Account currently disabled
May 1, 2011
GB
meettomy.site
Greets to all

Greets to all from another noob. :eek: Well, not a complete noob but a noob here on XDA given my few posts. My deep thanks for allowing a thread where sometimes there just might not be such a thing as a stupid question but honest ones instead,.... Hoping I can contribute something here as an owner of a softbank DHD here in Kyoto, Japan aka the 001HT. I spend alot of time trying to dig up general info from all over the i'net to help answer questions especially for ACE owners so I hope that might be of some help. Grant Barker's homepage is a great resource, (hope its allowed to mention that~). My first minor contribution------ 64GB MicroSD card usage with the DHD. It may already be well-known but for all us noobs who aren't too sure make no mistake..... I have the SanDisk Class 10 64GB MicroSD card and it works flawlessly in my DHD. Since I like to pack lots of MP3's and several full-length HD movies into my handset (helps keep the kids quiet on long drives ;) ) being able to have that much storage space is a blessing! So, just to reiterate, 64GB microSD card--- no problems!

Reactions: sashank

Teichopsia

Feb 26, 2012
Panama
Greets to all from another noob. :eek: Well, not a complete noob but a noob here on XDA given my few posts. My deep thanks for allowing a thread where sometimes there just might not be such a thing as a stupid question but honest ones instead,.... Hoping I can contribute something here as an owner of a softbank DHD here in Kyoto, Japan aka the 001HT. I spend alot of time trying to dig up general info from all over the i'net to help answer questions especially for ACE owners so I hope that might be of some help. Grant Barker's homepage is a great resource, (hope its allowed to mention that~). My first minor contribution------ 64GB MicroSD card usage with the DHD. It may already be well-known but for all us noobs who aren't too sure make no mistake..... I have the SanDisk Class 10 64GB MicroSD card and it works flawlessly in my DHD. Since I like to pack lots of MP3's and several full-length HD movies into my handset (helps keep the kids quiet on long drives ;) ) being able to have that much storage space is a blessing! So, just to reiterate, 64GB microSD card--- no problems!

Thanks for the feedback Blashpemer666, hopefully you manage to refrain yourself in front of the kids. :p

Absolutely, we were all noobs, still are and probably remain being noobs. There is too much information to cover and too little time to do it in. We here are just trying to return to the community what they have given us by helping the new members whenever they need it and whenever we can, to the best of our knowledge, by pointing them in the right direction. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Check the second post, it has been updated.

@glevitan, pm.ed you.
@hdorius, same to you. There are a few mistakes in the pm I sent.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you are serious about Android then be prepared to read - that is the one thing which will separate you from the average user.

To get you started you will need to know a few basics before you can start contributing to a community which has dedicated themselves in bringing better Operating Systems (Roms) to our phones. By knowing these basic steps you will be able to help iron out bugs from whatever Rom you have decided to keep on your phone and thus, improving your own user experience.

If you are completely new to this then you should read Glevitan's Starter Guide. It contains everything you need to know and it is a mandatory prerequisite before you can post in this thread seaking help.

Now that you have read and understood some of the terminology and how to recover from possible issues, you can root your phone with the A high-level DHD/Inspire manual S-OFF hack concept for advanced users [NOTE: The AAHK HAS BEEN RETIRED FOR NOOBS. IT IS FOR ADVANCE USERS ONLY. REFER TO THIS STICKY INSTEAD [How to] ROOT without the Hack Kit] Even if you do encounter issues, knowing the terminology, what you did and what went wrong will help communicating your issue so we can find a way to solve it. If you read the starter guide you should know that we don't recommend using HTC dev to unlock your bootloader. However, if you did go this route you can read this helpful guide: [NOOB] Flashing a custom ROM & getting it to boot IF bootloader is htcdev unlocked. And finally, our own resident and esteemed Glevitan is working on a tool to make it easier for you all. [ROOT] [TOOL] Easy Ace Root Tool

After having spent some time in the XDA threads reading a lot more than what you should post, you will have realized that almost any question you could possibly think about has already been asked over a dozen times and why so many emphasize the importance of searching for your answer first. You would also come to realize what are the benefits of setting up ADB. Among one of ADB (Android debug Bridge - [GUIDE] ADB - Usage, Tips, Tricks and More! and [GUIDE]ADB Workshop and Guide for everyone) uses is creating logcats. These logcats help developers finding what is causing a bug and how to fix it. This is a quick [Tutorial] How To Logcat. However, this quick tutorial will only help you get started. Keep in mind that apps like aLogcat or Catlog could shorten important output from the log. Another one: Learn to logcat like a Pro!

To be able to help developers create a better user experience for us, we need to create a bug report. The reason why we first need to search the forum is to avoid confusing the developer by cluttering the thread with repeated reports, of bugs and questions which as mentioned earlier, most likely have already been asked. To have a better understanding of the different instances we can create logs, then have a look at: [TUT]Report a bug I do believe this can not be emphasized enough and thus, what better way than reading it from existz own words.

Making your own Android Rom: Some advice..

You can find some relevant and not so relevant links in the second and third post.

Forum Rules
    A Short Guide To Open-Source And Similar Licenses

Team:
    Gizmoe
    Bananagranola
    Glevitan
    Teichopsia
    GuyInTheCorner
    Muikkuman
    sashank
    hdorius

We are all here attempting to return what the community has given us - constantly deconstructing the OP in lieu of a better organization.
    INDEX

ABSTRACT

The present document pretends to guide the noobs and not so noobs in their flashing / modding / theming way. It covers what the team thought is the basic stuff you should be in knowledge of and may be the most helpful. Any suggestions about the contents or stuff that you think should be included are welcomed, just let us know.

Guide Index

1.Basic Stuff: In this section you will find the common language that is related to Android / HTC Ace devices. This is fundamental for you to understand how things work.

2.Rooting: THIS IS OUT OF SERVICE...CHECK THE UNLOCKING BOOTLOADER TOOL IN PARAGRAPH 4

3.Fixing a messed bootloader: You are not good at listening advices or reading for comprehension. You flashed a froyo RUU or hboot in your GB shipped device? Thank God attn1 was around. This is the Hboot fix for you. All credits go for the Hack Kit Channel devs. I have not done anything but put it here

4.HTCDEV tool: So far, this is the best and only way to do the flashing stuff....

5.Unrooting: In case you need to take your phone to the service centre or lost your mind and want the stock rom back (is there anybody that actually does? :cyclops:) ) you will find everything you need to know here.

6.Flashing roms: The right steps to flash successfully a custom rom…you can´t miss it. If you do, then you haven´t read carefully.

7.Doing / Restoring a nandroid backup: In case you mess it or you don't like what you get on a new rom, a nand backup is what will save your A**. Follow the path and you will see the light at the end of the tunnel.

8.Radio / RILs: All the radio / RILs related issues, follow this or you will regret it!!

9.Kernels: Everything you always wanted to know about kernels but you didn't dare to ask. Links on line now..:silly:

10.Trouble shooting: I guess this will be the most visited section of the guide. OF COURSE YOU DIDN´T READ THE ABOVE. NOW YOU ARE HERE BUDDY FIX YOURSELF A GOOD READ :mad:

11.Customization: For those who would like to start customizing your devices, here you will find a good point of start but THIS IS JUST THE BEGUINNING :cool:[/QUOTE]

12.Battery drain issues: I HAVE FLASHED A NEW ROM AND MY BATTERY IS DRAINING WAY TO FASSSSSST!. Well that could be normal, just read and learn before you run out of battery...lol

Find the document here: http://d-h.st/Ii2
    [NOOB] Flashing a custom ROM & getting it to boot IF bootloader is htcdev unlocked

I see people asking the same thing again and again - they've unlocked using the htcdev unlock tool, flashed a recovery, flashed a ROM but can't get it to go past the HTC Quietly Brilliant screen. I just took a lot of time replying to another person with this very detailed post, so I'm posting it here too for those that it might help. This hasn't been stressed enough, if you're yet to unlock your bootloader, DO NOT use the www.htcdev.com unlock method. It is not recommended when we have a perfect way of fully unlocking the bootloader (S-OFF through AAHK). Don't see the words 'HTC' 'official' 'bootloader unlock' and go rushing to do it. Official method does not mean the best method. That said, this guide is for those that have already unlocked via htcdev, or have received phones that have been unlocked without their knowledge, and want to be able to flash a custom ROM without the whole process of running an RUU, returning to stock and then unlocking via AAHK. Use this guide as a fresh start even if you've messed up along the way.

Ok, it's like this. The way most people get root and recovery (and the recommended way) is through the AAHK. It gives you an option to flash a completely unlocked ENG S-OFF bootloader, which allows recovery to flash the boot image to the /boot partition too. This is what makes the phone start, otherwise it'll be stuck at the HTC Quietly Brilliant screen. Most people will tell you that you should run an RUU and get back to locked bootloader state and then run the AAHK. This IS the preferred method if you want to have a fully unlocked phone, but if you're finding it difficult to do, don't do it.

You've unlocked the bootloader using the htcdev unlock tool. What that does is partially unlock your bootloader. It allows you to flash zips to the system partition and data partition, but not the boot partition. So what happened to you was that you flashed CWM recovery, used it to flash a ROM, but it didn't boot - this is because though the ROM flashed fine, the corresponding boot image for the ROM was not flashed, so the ROM cannot start. The main headache with htcdev method of unlocking is that it leaves you with a S-ON bootloader preventing the flashing of boot image directly from recovery. You will need to flash it manually each time you flash a ROM.

The procedure to do that is -
    1. Download the attached zip file, extract it to Desktop or wherever you want using 7-zip/WinZIP.
    2. Open the ROM zip file you downloaded. Extract boot.img from this zip to the previously folder which you just extracted in the above step.
    3. Turn your phone completely off (pull out battery). Then hold 'volume down' while pressing power and continue holding it till you see a white screen with 3 green skateboarding Androids. This is the bootloader.
    4. FASTBOOT will be the first selected option in the list. Press 'Power' to select it. Make sure that now it shows FASTBOOT in red under the initial green text.
    5. Connect your phone to computer. See that the red FASTBOOT changes to FASTBOOT USB.
    4. Open the adb_fastboot folder, open 'Start here.bat'. It will open a command prompt window in that folder.
    5. Type 'fastboot flash recovery recovery.img'. You only need to do this once. It will flash 4ext Touch Recovery, which is better than CWM (thanks to madmaxx82 for the awesome recovery).
    6. Type 'fastboot flash boot boot.img'. You will need to do this everytime you flash a custom ROM, but before you do so be sure you've copied the boot.img from the ROM zip to the adb_fastboot folder.
    7. You should see some stuff like 'Sending data... data sent successfully'. If there's any error at this step report it here.
    8. Once it has done everything and displayed successful confirmations, disconnect phone.
    9. Hightlight BOOTLOADER and press 'power' to select it. Press 'volume down' to highlight RECOVERY and 'power' to select it.
    10. Once you're rebooted into 4ext Touch Recovery, go to 'install zip from SD card', browse for the ROM zip file in your SD card. If you haven't copied the zip to SD card, go back a step, connect phone to computer, select 'toggle USB storage' and then copy it onto the SD card. Once you have the ROM zip on the sdcard, go to the main screen of the recovery, choose 'wipe/format'->format all partitions (except SD card). Now go back to main screen, choose 'install zip from sdcard' and browse to the ROM zip location, select it and confirm that you want to flash it.
    11. When the flash process is done, go back to the main screen of recovery, and press reboot now. You will reboot into the custom ROM.

This is the process to flash a custom ROM and get it to boot properly IF you have unlocked the bootloader using www.htcdev.com. For AAHK unlocked S-OFF bootloaders, you can just flash the ROM zip from recovery. The boot image will be flashed too.
    Thread Index

Page#1, post#7 Noob Starter Guide by Glevitan.

Goes to a different thread (Guide) (Beginners) You have rooted your phone, now what can you do Thanks to GuyintheCorner.

Goes to a different thread Steps to flashing ROM - Thanks to sashank.

Page#1, post#8 FAQ's by Hdrorius.

Page#18, post#179 Booting into recovery, Full wipe and flashing, How to restore after formatting the SD card.

Page#1, post#9 [GUIDE] ADB - Usage, Tips, Tricks and More!, thanks to andyharney.

Page#14, post#133 [Tutorial] How To Logcat Thanks to andyharney. This will take you directly to the OP.

Page #2, post #19 "I have the SanDisk Class 10 64GB MicroSD card and it works flawlessly in my DHD." Thanks to Blasphemer666 for the report.

Page#3, post#24 Radio - Location mapping project by Xeleth.

Page#4, post#35 CPU+FAN+Overclocking brief discussion, Continues here, And here, Here as well, One more, Another one, Doesn't seem to end, Finally Ending in post#42

Page#5, post#45 British cure for Hangovers - by a 15yr old

Page#9, post#82 How to check which camara sensor you have, thanks to GuyInTheCorner.

Page#18, post#172 Radio, Ril discussion.

Page#22, post#213 Random Links

Page#28, post#273 A little guide on flashing radios the PD98IMG.zip way Thanks to Xeleth - link will take you to the OP.

Page#37, post#368 Enabling the right click button in LinuxMint It all started on post#316. A special thanks to bananagranola for the step by step guidance.

Page#40, post#396 [NOOB] Flashing a custom ROM & getting it to boot IF bootloader is htcdev unlocked Thanks to sashank.

Page#52, post#514 [TUT] Edify Scripts (Creating flashable zips) Thanks to sashank.

Page#57, post#569 Inspire - Aroma Installer calibration values.

Page#67, post#668 Links to learn how to program.

Page#69, post#687 Stuff to say about dalvik cache and data wiping. Thanks to sashank, continues on post #689.

Page#76, post#757 adb devices not listed linux Udev, Udev Rules, etc., still under construction.

Page#78, post#776 pd98img.zip / 4ext touch recovery RC7.

Page#83, post#822 Short flashable zip explanation / guide. Thanks to bananagranola.

Page #164 [Guide][How to]Disable hardware key and light functions. thanks to hdorius.

Gold Card Generator Kinda a do it yourself thing.

Page#200, post#1992 Links to learn Java and Linux - but mostly linux
    And it has moderator approval, so please only report posts if they actually require attention.