Android - Wing Linux 0.4pre4 is out

Search This thread

trinidad716

Jun 19, 2009
NJ
tried it again after a fresh install it just wont work for me it stops at white letters and goes to a prompt every time. could it be an issue with the ookba's win mo 6.5?

should i empty out my storage card?

Sep 5, 2009
tried it again after a fresh install it just wont work for me it stops at white letters and goes to a prompt every time. could it be an issue with the ookba's win mo 6.5?

should i empty out my storage card?
Its defiantly not Evo coz am runnin the same and works fine ..........
U can defiantly try formating the card ..............

CacoPelao

May 22, 2008
huge improvement!!!

really nice.

It crashes when trying to get into the phone, but everything else works great.

Last edited:

Guitar100

Jun 16, 2009
Florida
Mine works like a dream................
may i know what have u done ?
And did it ask you about the memory ......... in the typical Linux screen ?

I installed the wing-linux-0.4pre4-rootfs.cab file first on storage card,then the Excalibur one on the storage card.Then hit start/wing linux then a haret version 0.5.2 window pops up.It say,launch a script file.In A box says default.txt,next to that,a box that says run.I hit run,i get a lot of letters scrolling, then the screen turns different colors.The last color is blue/purple and stays that way for over 45 minutes.So,i reset by taking battery out.

yggdrasil

Jul 30, 2007
Hol F it works.

I had just been messing with G1 last week so I rooted it and got a bit familiar (it was my bosses phone, needed native exchange support, and it worked).
Anyway I ran it and it works.
Unzip the downloaded file extract the excalibur.cab and the rootfs.cab. put them on your memory card.

From the phone run the rootfs.cab
then run the excalibur.cab

it will ask you for some info about the partition size (the number pad doesnt work on the dash)
then it will do its install.
be carefull what you click because it doesn't all work.

I wish it had some sort of terminal. it would be very usefull (to halt it if nothing else).

truly amazing.

uccellino

Jul 28, 2007
Hi,

A terminal is available under "Developer Tools" in Android. Otherwise, you can SSH into it from your PC. Or start in run level 3 :)

I had just been messing with G1 last week so I rooted it and got a bit familiar (it was my bosses phone, needed native exchange support, and it worked).
Unzip the downloaded file extract the excalibur.cab and the rootfs.cab. put them on your memory card.

it will ask you for some info about the partition size (the number pad doesnt work on the dash)

I wish it had some sort of terminal. it would be very usefull (to halt it if nothing else).

truly amazing.

yggdrasil

Jul 30, 2007
Root fro mthe terminal

if you go to the terminal emulator under dev tools

the keyboard mapping is kind of funny.
type /bin/su -
wich is <alt3>bin<alt3>su <alt6>
enter
password is wing.

Ill try sshing into the phone, I was using this on my test phone and it doesnt have a valid sim in it so i didnt have the data plan on.

Guitar100

Jun 16, 2009
Florida

truly amazing.

I extract the two files,put on the storage card.Now,when i install,do i install in "device" or storage card?

yggdrasil

Jul 30, 2007
Alawys on the card

on the card please.
Its in the readme in the zip file too. teaches you how to put them on thier own partition for speed, I havnt checked that out.

drnayeem

Oct 3, 2008
Hi There,

Has anyone got Gprs started on android ...
Please lemme know how to set the APN ....
Thanks

mgarridoe

May 11, 2009
Thank you

Hi,

For those interested in the effort to port Android to the Excalibur, wing-linux android 0.4pre4 has been released with support for the Excalibur. Installation should be pretty easy (must install to the micro SD card).

For details and download: http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/wing-linux/wiki

This project is looking for more developers, so you're welcome to join.

Please Note: to reset your device after using android you'll have to take out the battery. As mentioned, the software does not install to the phone's ROM, so it's nice and safe ;) no flashing!

Biggest issue is that sound doesn't work yet. GSM works if your SIM card has no pin. For information on setting up GPRS, please see the wing-linux forum.

Please test all you can, and report back either here, or even better at the wing-linux forum.

Cheers,

Update:

• To fix the problem that the console is rotated the wrong way, after installing, go to the linux folder on the SD card and edit the "default.txt". In the CMDLINE variable, remove "fbcon=rotate:3".
  • For those of you that want a normal linux console, i.e. so Android doesnt start automatically, change the "4" on the end of this line to a "3" (this is the runlevel)

Hi uccellino I had followed all your work as posted in the Wing Linux Forums and I am impressed with your amazing work in this port.

Congrats

drnayeem

Oct 3, 2008
Hey ...
Please Please.... someone help me out with the APN
The settings dont seem to be saved .....