[REF] Working SD Cards List

Search This thread

ashwinpadmanaban

Mar 15, 2012
Bought memory card

Hi,

Further to my previous comment in this thread, I have bought a 16 GB Samsung Class 6 memory card.

But the problem I face is that - I inserted it in my Focus and formatted it. Once it gets booted up after the format, it said storage card not working or incompatible.

I saw in this page http://xdaforums.com/wiki/index.php?title=Samsung_Focus , that samsung 16 GB class 6 works. And so i went bought this. But now after this format, I'm unable to even format it back in PC or in other mobile phones to make it work in my other Android phone.

Kindly help me out. Tell me some solution to make it work in my focus itself, if not atleast to make it work in my Android.

Thank you in advance.

Depends on your usage. I found 16 GB not enough for me but then I'm heavy on media (videos, music, games/apps) so I went for a 32 GB class 4, which suited perfectly. Later, a 32 GB class 10 replaced it and it made some difference but not that significant (just syncing faster, mostly).

If you sync often enough and you don't plan to have many apps/games/music/video 16 GB class 4 is good enough.
Otherwise I'd advise on a 32 GB class 4 or even a 32 GB class 10.

You want to do it right the first time, trust me. You don't want to be switching cards later, as you'll lose your installed apps/data so better give it a good thought before you go for either. The price difference shouldn't be an issue though as most good class 4 and even 32 GB class 10 are quite cheap nowadays.

Testware

Jun 4, 2012
Hi,

Further to my previous comment in this thread, I have bought a 16 GB Samsung Class 6 memory card.

But the problem I face is that - I inserted it in my Focus and formatted it. Once it gets booted up after the format, it said storage card not working or incompatible.

I saw in this page http://xdaforums.com/wiki/index.php?title=Samsung_Focus , that samsung 16 GB class 6 works. And so i went bought this. But now after this format, I'm unable to even format it back in PC or in other mobile phones to make it work in my other Android phone.

Kindly help me out. Tell me some solution to make it work in my focus itself, if not atleast to make it work in my Android.

Thank you in advance.

Well, I remember reading somewhere that it's possible to format these memory cards by sticking it into a Nokia phone. Find a Nokia phone (Symbian, not Windows Phone) and try formatting it in that. Or try to format it using a digital camera's low level format option.

aussiejim

Jan 3, 2011
64GB Goodness!

Thought I'd try my luck with a 64GB Sandisk Ultra microSD card, and Bingo! Worked a charm! It's been rock solid for last 2 days, running v3.05 Clean ROM on v1.3 Focus.

Card details: SanDisk 64Gb Ultra microSDXC UHS-I card, IDSIUMS64GB.

[Won't let me post image of About screen...]

Reactions: EnderPsp

chromiumblue

Sep 8, 2012
64GB SanDisk micro SDXC works in my 1.3 Focus with 7.8

SDXC Card (Class 10):
Product Name: SDSU64G
Manufacturer ID: 0x03
Revision: 8.0
Manufacturing Date: 2012-09
Specification Version: 3.0
Capacity: 63.86 GB (63,864,569,856 bytes)

drkelfdrizzt

Nov 29, 2012
Patriot add on

Hi all,

Currently, the Focus/WP7 in general is having some technical difficulties with external SD cards. Below is the list that users have confirmed compatible and incompatible. I will keep this updated until the issue is resolved, in hopes that new users find this list and make the correct purchases. Please post your results with brand name / storage capacity / class #. Also, please only post your results after installing the card using the prescribed methods from the Samsung Focus instructions or the Windows Phone 7 site. This includes formatting the card and then testing the stability with soft reset(s).

*Note* Some people are reporting that their cards will work for about a day, then proceed to make the phone go berserk, restart, and then return with the data cleared and only 15MB of available storage. If this happens to you after initially reporting a compatible card, please check back in with us! Use this list with caution, as the results are based on our short time with the device. Thanks

Confirmed Working(Data remains after soft reset):

Centon
Centon 8GB Class 6

Kingston
Kingston 4GB Class 4
Kingston 16GB Class 4

Microcenter
Microcenter 16GB Class 2

Patriot
Patriot 16GB Class 2

PNY
PNY 8GB Class 4
PNY 16GB Class 2

SanDisk
SanDisk 8GB Class 2
SanDisk 16GB Class 4

Currently Unstable/Unsure:
Kingston 8GB Class 4
Kingston 32GB Class 4
SanDisk 16GB Class 2
SanDisk 32GB Class 2

Confirmed Not Working(Data gone after soft reset):

A-Data
A-Data 4GB Class 6
A-Data 8GB Class 6
A-Data 16GB Class 6

Lexar
Lexar 16GB Class 6

Transcend
Transcend 8GB Class 6
Transcend 16GB Class 6

I got Patriot Memory micro sdhc 16gb class 10 working on mine.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Samsung Approved Card Arrived

Ok, I just got my card from Samsung today. I was told I was going to receive a Windows Phone 7 certified card in the mail. Well, what I got was a Samsung Card. It does NOT say Windows Phone 7 Certified on the card. See Images.

Description:

Samsung
    16GB
    MicroSDHC
    Class 2

On Back:

CE
    MMB3R 16GUACA-GE
    I Y073F000 030
    Made in TAIWAN

I called to confirm this is in fact Phone 7 Certified, and they said YES, Definitely. I have not inserted it into my phone yet, since I wanted to Crystal Disk Mark it first.

I'll update THIS post with results when it's finished.

PS: These photos taken with Macro Mode on the Samsung Focus. :D Try reading the words on the back of your MicroSD and you will see how impressive this is. ;)

Crystal Disk Mark:

It's really strange. The specs are not that good. I wonder why this card is "Certified" and some of the faster cards are not. Seems wierd.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    CrystalDiskMark 3.0 x64 (C) 2007-2010 hiyohiyo
    Crystal Dew World : http://crystalmark.info/
    * MB/s = 1,000,000 byte/s [SATA/300 = 300,000,000 byte/s]

Sequential Read : 12.873 MB/s
    Sequential Write : 6.597 MB/s
    Random Read 512KB : 11.896 MB/s
    Random Write 512KB : 0.666 MB/s
    Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 2.701 MB/s [ 659.4 IOPS]
    Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 0.029 MB/s [ 7.1 IOPS]
    Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 2.525 MB/s [ 616.6 IOPS]
    Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 0.028 MB/s [ 6.7 IOPS]

Test : 1000 MB [P: 0.0% (0.0/14.7 GB)] (x5)
    Date : 2010/12/19 1:08:02
    I've been using a 32GB Sandisk Class 2 for about 2 months now with no adverse effects that I can see.Total storage after formatting etc. was 36.90GB, got about 18GB left. Mostly music, apps and games. (LOL, what else is there I guess!)
    Is there a 32 gb card that's confirmed to work?
    After I applied the AT&T Nodo update, my Sandisk 32gb c2 card from AT&T works perfectly. The unbranded Nodo update I tried prior to that still had issues.

Based on my past experiences with this card, I would say its officially works now. No freezing, rebooting, or stuttering.
    OK, using the CrystalDiskMark software, I tested two Sandisk 16 gig cards. One is the old class 2 card that I had been using in my Tilt2 for the past 3 months, the other is a class 4 from eBay that arrived today.

Here are my results from the Micro Center-branded 16GB microSD card:

CrystalDiskMark 3.0 x64 (C) 2007-2010 hiyohiyo
    Crystal Dew World : http://crystalmark.info/
    * MB/s = 1,000,000 byte/s [SATA/300 = 300,000,000 byte/s]

Sequential Read : 15.725 MB/s
    Sequential Write : 3.754 MB/s
    Random Read 512KB : 13.598 MB/s
    Random Write 512KB : 3.156 MB/s
    Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 1.362 MB/s [ 332.6 IOPS]
    Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 0.441 MB/s [ 107.7 IOPS]
    Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 1.301 MB/s [ 317.7 IOPS]
    Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 0.478 MB/s [ 116.8 IOPS]

Test : 1000 MB [E: 0.0% (0.0/14.8 GB)] (x5)
    Date : 2010/12/14 14:48:47

I'll put it in my Focus later.
    Kingston 16GB Class 4

So, I've been running the Kingston 16GB Class 4 card for a week and it's been rock solid. Just recently I went ahead and pushed a ton of content onto the phone for the sake of testing the stability of the phone once data started being written to the card. First note is that it seems the phone will write to a buffer when syncing. My guess from what I've seen is it's about 50MB. After that it starts writing directly to the card and that's when things SERIOUSLY slow down.

But it's not slower, it's simply SLOW. I know that I could write data to the card much faster than WP7, from my PC if it was hooked up directly. It shouldn't take ten minutes to write 65MB of data. This seems to be the case though. Pulling the data cord mid sync and reattaching it after a second seems to clear the buffer and allow another handful of songs to be written very quickly.

Even so, I haven't noticed any spontaneous reboots or slow behavior in the phone. I've played music that I suspect is on the first 8GB as well as music that I suspect is on the data card and it all plays smoothly. Where I have seen some slowdowns though would be when generating new content on the phone. For instance, making a quick HD video. To be honest, I didn't time it with and without the card, but I think without a doubt it is slower sometimes to get back to the live camera view after a video or picture is taken. I guess it depends on how long it takes the phone to write the data to the card.

So far though I think the tradeoffs are acceptable. I don't think I could live with random reboots or lost data, but some slight sluggishness in areas I use only seldom is OK.