[ROM] Barebone SGS4G KJ6 1.1.3

Search This thread

stephen_w

Jul 24, 2011
Memphis
I think I've fixed slow scrolling in stock browser in 1.0.8. Whoever uses it (I don't), test it.

I (finally) got around to installing this ROM. I love it, man. I've wanted a close to stock ROM for a while and this one really fits the bill. Thank you!

I tested the browser briefly and didn't notice any scrolling issues.

tsheeley

Sep 14, 2009
Van Nuys, CA
(Advance notice: Ignore my sig, it's ancient. I'm on a LG G2x with a rock solid install of CM7s stable branch.)

My wife has a stock GB SGS4G and I'd like to be sure I'm reading this thread right before I do anything to it...

If I root it using the "Fresh out of the box" guide, when I get to the part about flashing a custom ROM I can flash this barebones build on top of the freshly rooted stock build to de-bloat it... and I won't loose any of her apps in the process?

Has anyone tried adding on some of the tweaks and mods mentioned further down the rooting thread?

AntonX

Nov 9, 2006
If I root it using the "Fresh out of the box" guide, when I get to the part about flashing a custom ROM I can flash this barebones build on top of the freshly rooted stock build to de-bloat it... and I won't loose any of her apps in the process?
That is correct. You will only lose some preinstalled bloat.

I'm not sure why there is a step to use SuperOneClick in the guide. You can still use it, but these days every custom kernel is pre-rooted, so just use one packaged for ODIN and you'll have root and CWM right away. What I would do: 1. If still on Froyo, update to GB with KiesMini. 2. Use ODIN to flash a kernel. 3. Flash ROM in CWM.

lumin30

Oct 19, 2011
If you notice... the guide doesn't use Heimdall or ODIN. That is the point of that particular guide. No driver issues, no phone isn't recognized issues, etc.

twisted03

May 26, 2012
flashed this last night, and i must say that it is great rom...lovin it so far...

AntonX

Nov 9, 2006
Update 1.1.0 properly and completely removes CarrierIQ.

It’s possible that CIQ was doing a lot more than I though. Quite a bit more, actually. Found some code integrated into the framework that I really didn’t like. So I went through all system .jar and .apk files and removed all CIQ metric submissions and related code. These included WebKit, CallTracker, SMSDispatcher, InputMethodService, WindowManagerService, ActivityManagerService, LocationManagerService, MMS package, etc. After all references were gone, completely removed the CIQ Agent files from ext.jar. Now there is no CIQ in this ROM whatsoever.

Note: There is a message in the log about starting some carrieriq service on boot. Because I could not remove BOOT_COMPLETED permissions in AndroidManifest.xml without resigning certificates, I left the handler there (otherwise there’d be an error splash on boot), but the executed code does exactly nothing. Ironically this is the only code that was originally removed by Krylon, and now I'm putting it back...

Thanks to stephen_w for testing.

QUIETLYloud

Jun 25, 2011
Holyoke
Just so I'm clear, I've been running this since the second update (not comfortable with the steps needed to move up to the newer ROMs plus don't see the need for my purposes), do I have to wipe/reformat the system to get rid of carrierIQ files?

PS, thanks for the work that you do

Edit: loving the boot image/animation

Sent from my SGH-T959V using xda premium

Last edited:

AntonX

Nov 9, 2006
I have a question.

Anybody's using T-Mobile Visual Voice Mail? I don't want to use it, but Phone.apk is tied to it to show voicemail notifications. I found a simple way to patch this and remove this dependency, so my notifications now work just fine without VVM installed. The thing is - I'm not sure how VVM will function with the patch and will it work at all for people who still want to use it. If it doesn't, a solution could be to put back the unpatched Phone.apk.

So - opinions? Should I patch it in the next release?

If other KJ6-based ROM developers want to apply the patch, I can tell them what to do.

Last edited:

stephen_w

Jul 24, 2011
Memphis
I have a question.

Anybody's using T-Mobile Visual Voice Mail? I don't want to use it, but Phone.apk is tied to it to show voicemail notifications. I found a simple way to patch this and remove this dependency, so my notifications now work just fine with VVM installed. The thing is - I'm not sure how VVM will function with the patch and will it work at all for people who still want to use it. If it doesn't, a solution could be to put back the unpatched Phone.apk.

So - opinions? Should I patch it in the next release?

If other KJ6-based ROM developers want to apply the patch, I can tell them what to do.

I use it. If you want to share the patch I'll give it a whirl.

lumin30

Oct 19, 2011
VVM downloads your voicemail to store and play on the phone without having to dial voicemail box. It's not a bad feature but awesome you figured out how to get notifications without it.

I am thinking the majority who do not want it have not looked at it. You just have to open an app to check voicemail similar to google voice.

Last edited:
Reactions: AntonX

stephen_w

Jul 24, 2011
Memphis
It literally gives you a display of who called you, when, how long the voice mail is, and control buttons that allow you to play, pause, turn on the speaker phone, and to delete the VM. I use it for those features & not just for notification.

Here is a screen shot of it:

Attachments

• SC20120608-102444_modded.jpg
    SC20120608-102444_modded.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 324
Reactions: AntonX

AntonX

Nov 9, 2006
I see.

VVM itself should work fine. The patch was only for notifications. The logic was like this: 1) check VVM database for voicemail messages; 2) If nothing there (for any reason, doesn't matter no messages or a failed call) bypass all other code and clear notifications. What I did, I just removed the VVM database check and the bypass. The rest of the code (which is still there, I compared it to an unbranded I9000) does its things and checks for voicemail the regular way. So it may work fine in the end, just a different way. The notifications will be shown, and the VVM app can still be launched to check messages.

Here is patched version, you can try it. If it works for everybody I'll move it to the OP.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/74713966/ROM/ROM-sms-T959V-GB2.3.6-antsvx.1.1.1.zip

Reactions: Jerry D and lumin30

avrillapete

Jun 9, 2010
Columbus
Been running valhalla black for a long time now, and it was starting to feel unstable. Been looking for a decent rom to replace it. Development isn't as active as it used to be, so I felt like I've been waiting forever! Then I stumble upon your ROM, read the description, and install. I sorta miss the theme and lockscreens of VB, but this rom feels so much faster and 100x more stable. The only app that crashes is draw something, but that thing is a POS.

Great job, keep up the good work.

EDIT: Updated to the new version. LOVE the boot animation.

Last edited:
Reactions: brysta559

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Barebone SGS4G KJ6 ROM

Use at your own risk, I take no responsibility for anything that may happen to your phone because of this ROM.

Here is a ROM that I made for myself, but what the heck, let's share. This ROM is very stock-like with just few usability mods.

Features
    • Will not wipe your programs or data, /data is preserved upon install
    • Heavily debloated. Most essentials apps are still there (like WiFi Calling)
    • No extra programs added, you need to add your own
    • ODEXed to save space in /data
    • CarrierIQ is completely removed
    • Extended Power Menu (including Screenshot)
    • Extended Quick Panel (10 buttons, including Data toggle)
    • 1% battery (horizontal)
    • CRT-Off
    • Time zone version 2012b
    • /etc/hosts to cut ads out of the box (keep up to date with AdAway or similar)
    • Few conservative presets in build.prop and init.d
    • Basic with a Twist 1.1.3 kernel included

Notes
    * Don't get confused about ODEXing, it's actually better to run and saves quite a bit of space in /data.
    * Some Google apps (Maps, Streets, Voice) and Adobe Flash are removed from /system. Install them from market. Benefit - they can be moved to SD card this way.
    * Original Swype is removed, is somebody needs it flash this.
    * In case you need it, use this thread to add some bloat back.
    * Factory Reset is removed from Settings->Privacy, use CWM if you ever need to reset all data.
    * KJ6 modem included. Use this thread to flash a different modem if needed.

Install
    Flash with CWM. Wait until the system boots up, then wait few more minutes for it to settle.

Download
    v1.1.3
    v1.1.2
    v1.1.1
    v1.1.0
    v1.0.8

Changelog

Removed "Mobile data connection disabled. Connect?" popup on boot

Removed Factory Reset from Settings->Privacy
    Updated kernel

Fixed voicemail notifications not working without Visual Voice Mail installed

CIQ is properly removed
    Some neutral cosmetics (logo, animations)
    Minor update to the kernel

Fixed slow stock browser scrolling

Extended Quick Panel

Added Screenshot to power menu

Removed DriveSmart and Software Update from Settings menu

Put original framework-res.apk certificate back

Added power menu mod

Original public release
    does it have a screenshot option from the power menu??
    Nope, never bothered with power menu. I don't reboot the phone too often and to say the truth don't even remember when last time I needed to take a screenshot. I use ShootMe and QuickBoot when I need to, they both do the job just fine.

Yes, power menu is fully modded now, including Screenshot option.
    Added Quick Panel mod. 10 toggle buttons total to make exactly two pages. It's easier to scroll with 10 than 12, you don't overshoot to the 3rd page. Set the order of buttons to my own liking, don't ask me to change it.

Tried to add a mod where you can edit and move buttons, but it's too buggy.
    I updated the link. I actually took it down on purpose, wanted to look at something but never had time.

I was troubleshooting an error message during boot time, so I traced it to the CIQ trying to execute some on-boot code, which was removed by Krylon. Strangely the original code itself doesn't do much, it's initilizing a broadcast receiver with an empty onReceive method. Removing this was a moot point, it probably didn't do much. I disabled the BOOT_COMPLETED permission for the service to avoid the error message.

So I looked at the CIQ more closely. What I found is a little peculiar. The main CIQ code is integrated quite deeply into the framework, it cannot be removed easily, there are just too many calls that send various metrics to the CIQ Agent. The main CIQ classes are not in the framework.jar, they are in ext.jar. Probably that's why nobody noticed them and never tried to modify them. What is strange that many calls seem to be not implemented. For example the sumbitMetric is an empty method, shouldSubmitMetric always returns zero, etc.

It's possible that T-Mobile decided not to use CIQ on our phone (at least extensively), but instead of removing it completely just plugged few calls.

I'm removing the "CIQ removed" description because it's actually not removed, although may not be doing much.
    Couple recent changes:

- Added Screenshot to Power menu. Had to remove the menu title as well to fit it all on one page without scrolling. Screenshot functionality is using built-it ScreenCaptureService.

- DriveSmart and Software Updates are removed from Settings menu.