Anyone tried SafeRoot? Thinking of getting a mini but not w/o root.

Search This thread

Teksu

Jun 9, 2010
Is there root?
Any users here?
I know there is a Rzr general thread but no goodies.

You are in the right place, the mini, ultra, and maxx are basically the same device aside from their battery and screen size.

You can root if you are on 4.2.2. If you took the 4.4 update than you are SOL for now.

There is a nice guide on how to do everything here, Just remember to grab the fxz files for your device, not the ultra/maxx.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2616104

Reactions: aviwdoowks

GnatGoSplat

Apr 29, 2007
I did the same as you, went from RAZR M to Mini.
Still going to hold onto my M to play with, but Mini is my primary now.

joshuamink

Apr 21, 2010
droid mini

i just got the phone as well. or i should say it will be here today. does anyone know can i root using 4.2.2 use voodoo to save the root then use fastboot to upgrade to 4.4 from the SBF file?

GnatGoSplat

Apr 29, 2007
Nope. Voodoo does not work with Android 4.3 and newer.
You will need to follow the previously mentioned guide to the letter. One mistake can cost you root until someone finds a 4.4 exploit.

aviwdoowks

Sep 18, 2012
I am still on my old M'ini. Just considering. But may wait for root on kk. Aren't they shipping minis with kk now?
Than the lack of sd card? Is there enough memory for backups @ 3 gb each?
Is otg working for everybody & does it stand in for a external sd well?
Why did Google make such an iphonish move in the first place?

Last edited:

GnatGoSplat

Apr 29, 2007
It has 11GB total available storage. I have 5.83GB free on mine, but I do have TomTom and 738MB worth of videos that take up space. I have 1.28GB worth of apps installed. I haven't found the lack of SD card to be a problem (yet). If you wanted to keep your entire music library on the phone, that could be a problem.
I haven't tried OTG, but an external drive would definitely be a good place to keep backups. Now that you mention it, I might order one to try.
I don't know why they dumped the MicroSD card. Maybe planned obsolescence or they just didn't see the point since these devices are practically disposable since most people only keep a smartphone 2yrs tops before wanting to upgrade again. They started to do the same with Nexus devices too.

Oh yeah, and compared to the M, the battery life is a lot worse. I barely get 2-days of light use and I have Wifi set to turn off when the phone is sleeping and I also keep mobile data off when I'm not using it. I tried leaving Wifi on in its default state which is "Always On" and only got 1-1/2 days out of it. On the other hand, I don't notice the bad battery life so much now that I bought a wireless charging pad for $10 which works well with the Mini. I keep it at work and I just set the phone down on the wireless charging pad when I'm at my desk.

Last edited:
Reactions: aviwdoowks

GnatGoSplat

Apr 29, 2007
Just thought I'd update. Got an OTG cable and it works with KitKat. It works with a mouse and external flash drive, but there is no native support. You have to install the app StickMount (which requires root), then it will work. It mounts USB drive to /sdcard/usbStorage/sda1. As far as I can tell, FAT and FAT32 are read/write, exFAT and NTFS are read-only.

It's pretty nice for backup and restore using Titanium without using internal storage space.

aviwdoowks

Sep 18, 2012
Just thought I'd update. Got an OTG cable and it works with KitKat. It works with a mouse and external flash drive, but there is no native support. You have to install the app StickMount (which requires root), then it will work. It mounts USB drive to /sdcard/usbStorage/sda1. As far as I can tell, FAT and FAT32 are read/write, exFAT and NTFS are read-only.

It's pretty nice for backup and restore using Titanium without using internal storage space.
Great. What about builds that come on the phone? Rootable?

Last edited:

xDroid4Lifex

Jan 28, 2014
No root method for stock 4.4 yet. Hopefully someone releases an exploit, but AFAIK there's nobody currently working on it.. At least for the droid lineup..

Sent from my XT1080 using XDA Premium

Last edited:

aviwdoowks

Sep 18, 2012
Please do not flame me on my own thread.
If you have NOT tried it, move on, please.

Simple request.
If you have tried this let us know. I am only seeking conformation of its, empirically tested, inability to root 4.4 or 4.2. I would try it myself but I am still on the old M. Jcase says it will not work. The op of the method asures it is harmless.
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=48392009&postcount=1
Surely someone has tried it-That is my question?
But No false hope. It will not work....

Last edited:

xDroid4Lifex

Jan 28, 2014
Please do not flame me on my own thread.
If you have tried this let us know. I am only seeking conformation of its, empirically tested, inability to root 4.4 or 4.2. I would try it myself but I am still on the old M. Jcase says it will not work. The op of the method asures it is harmless.
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=48392009&postcount=1
Thanks

AFAIK, jcases method for 4.2 used adb and that was patched in 4.4? From what I understand reading the op of that thread, it won't work and if jcase (probably the only one who ever released an exploit for our device, I'm new to the xt1080 so have only read through so much) says it won't work I'll take his word for it. Could be wrong, but I'm not willing to brick my personal phone testing it.

aviwdoowks

Sep 18, 2012
Thanks but that is not the answer I am seeking.
Please no replies but: yes I tried it!
Thanks

k1mu

Apr 11, 2011
Virginia
If jcase says it won't work I don't think ANYONE here will be willing to try it.

Anyway, good luck with this!

Running 4.4 means that it's fairly unlikely to work. I haven't heard of anyone succeeding in rooting a locked-bootloader 4.4 system.

However, there's no risk to trying. If it doesn't work, it won't damage anything. If someone is saying that it won't work because they know that the kernel is patched, that's one thing. But if there's a good reason to not try, I'd like to know what it is, especially if there's something bad that could happen I'd like to know what it is so I can fix it.

joshuamink

Apr 21, 2010
So I have the phone rooted, permanent root, on 4.4, using stickmount. Must be on 15.5.3 to use the tethered root. Then I just installed safestrap, booted into it, and flashed SuperSU. Permanent root. Jcase said in his post this wouldn't work, but it does and I can prove it. Then after permanent root use motoWPnomo and follow the on screen instructions to install the cracked kernel. Worked like a charm for me. I had 4.4 root before but I soft bricked my phone with a certain mod so I was stuck without root for a couple months until a new exploit came out. This is the best phone I've ever had by far. So much better than the M xt907. Better in so many ways, except boot loader unlock. ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Is there root?
    Any users here?
    I know there is a Rzr general thread but no goodies.

You are in the right place, the mini, ultra, and maxx are basically the same device aside from their battery and screen size.

You can root if you are on 4.2.2. If you took the 4.4 update than you are SOL for now.

There is a nice guide on how to do everything here, Just remember to grab the fxz files for your device, not the ultra/maxx.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2616104
    It has 11GB total available storage. I have 5.83GB free on mine, but I do have TomTom and 738MB worth of videos that take up space. I have 1.28GB worth of apps installed. I haven't found the lack of SD card to be a problem (yet). If you wanted to keep your entire music library on the phone, that could be a problem.
    I haven't tried OTG, but an external drive would definitely be a good place to keep backups. Now that you mention it, I might order one to try.
    I don't know why they dumped the MicroSD card. Maybe planned obsolescence or they just didn't see the point since these devices are practically disposable since most people only keep a smartphone 2yrs tops before wanting to upgrade again. They started to do the same with Nexus devices too.

Oh yeah, and compared to the M, the battery life is a lot worse. I barely get 2-days of light use and I have Wifi set to turn off when the phone is sleeping and I also keep mobile data off when I'm not using it. I tried leaving Wifi on in its default state which is "Always On" and only got 1-1/2 days out of it. On the other hand, I don't notice the bad battery life so much now that I bought a wireless charging pad for $10 which works well with the Mini. I keep it at work and I just set the phone down on the wireless charging pad when I'm at my desk.
    Great. What about builds that come on the phone? Rootable?

I received my Mini on 2/12 straight from VZW and it has 4.2.2 w/ 12.7.7. OTA keeps pushing me to update to 12.15.15 I believe but I'm snoozing it till I read and get more info on rooting it. This is my first android and although I'm not new to modding, I am to android.
    Thanks but that is not the answer I am seeking.
    Please no replies but: yes I tried it!
    Thanks

If jcase says it won't work I don't think ANYONE here will be willing to try it.

Anyway, good luck with this!