[Video Guide] How To Unlock Bootloader & Root - USER FRIENDLY

Search This thread

TheSmokingAndroid

Apr 2, 2010
Victoria
Hey folks, i know that for some, unlocking bootloaders and rooting for the first time can be a bit overwhelming, so i put together a video, walking you through step by step. I hope this helps at least 1 of you ;)

The toolkit in this video guide was developed by hasson2000, so big props and thanks go out to him! You can find his toolkit here

To the moderators. hasson2000 has asked that folks request his permission to use his work in posts ect.. So i did ask, but he never responded... So since this is doing no harm and only helping people, i assume you won't mind this posted here ;) If you do want to take it down, i won't fight you on it.

If you folks have any questions, i strongly recommend you go to hasson2000s toolkit thread, linked above, and ask there.

Cheers :)

Shad0wStorm

Apr 5, 2013
I'm still stuck on waiting for device.
I was going in that Tool thread but I'm not allowed to post there yet.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

omar01709

May 5, 2013
Thank you so much for the vid, I used it to unlock my bootloader and also installed TWRP... It worked a treat :)

My issue is that I want to flash the 1.29 OTA onto my EE-branded 4G HTC One. I've downloaded this version: OTA_M7_UL_JB_50_HTC_Europe_1.29.401.12-1.28.401.7_release_315849_signedp7vl8dqsvls0h1t0.z ip from this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2207874. I have attempted to Flash my own recovery, but am unsure as to which .img file to use and also which option in the bootloader to select. I've searched all throughout these forums, but to no avail :(

If anyone can help, it would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

aaroh

Apr 9, 2012
any one have any alternative link to the all in one toolkit by hasoon looks like the link is broken?

phewBAR

May 9, 2013
Thanks, this worked like a charm!
This is my first Android phone and reading all of this did seem scary, but watching the video and doing it myself.. pretty easy!

P05TMAN

Aug 15, 2011
Boulder, CO
So, there is no way to root this device without unlocking it first? I've also read that after you unlock, you loose some apps & obviously OTA updates......4.2.2 is rumored to be out for this device any time now. Is there anyway to preserve those apps, possibly update phone (even manually) or just root without unlocking?

matt95

Aug 8, 2010
Milan
So, there is no way to root this device without unlocking it first? I've also read that after you unlock, you loose some apps & obviously OTA updates......4.2.2 is rumored to be out for this device any time now. Is there anyway to preserve those apps, possibly update phone (even manually) or just root without unlocking?

you won't loose any apps if you unlock, you will lose all of your files though... and you can still receive OTAs is you are unlocked, you just need to have the stock rom and a stock recovery...

Lowlywurm

May 12, 2013
New Brunswick, NJ
Success (relatively painless)

I'd like to add my success story as a hopeful note for other noobs who are sweating it.

I'm a complete noob with recovery and rooting. Luckily I had the distinct advantage of skipping the whole bootloader unlocking sequence, thanks to having the Developer Edition whose bootloader comes unlocked. (I wasn't sure if I should use Hasoon2000's T-Mobile kit, since I'm using a T-mo SIM, or if I should use his generic HTC One M7 kit, so I chose the latter and luckily it was a good choice.)

I studied this video tutorial by TheSmokingAndroid, took notes, watched it again, said a little prayer to the green guy in the sky, watched some more tutorials, read some tutorials, read 50 pages of xda forums, panicked, de-panicked, steeled myself, then watched the video again. Then I dove in.

While not every step had the exact results that TheSmokingAndroid depicted in his video (combination of user error by me and the HTC One apparently being somewhat finicky), while not every step was an exact match, a little persistence and staying calm resulted in full root in about 1/2 an hour once I actually got started, and no major calamities.

So thanks TheSmokingAndroid and thanks Hasoon2000!
(If you're a noob, consider making a small donation like I did to keep these guys going.)
Happy rooting.

P05TMAN

Aug 15, 2011
Boulder, CO
you won't loose any apps if you unlock, you will lose all of your files though... and you can still receive OTAs is you are unlocked, you just need to have the stock rom and a stock recovery...

So you won't loose torch and some of the other apps I've read you may lose after unlocking?

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app

hasoon2000

Feb 22, 2008
Orland Park, Illinois
www.hasoon2000.info
To the moderators. hasson2000 has asked that folks request his permission to use his work in posts ect.. So i did ask, but he never responded... So since this is doing no harm and only helping people, i assume you won't mind this posted here ;) If you do want to take it down, i won't fight you on it.

I receive tons of PMs and can forget who I responded to, since I am on my phone majority of the time. Anyone is allowed to make a video using my toolkit. I just do not permit people to repost my work on another site. All official toolkit threads will be on XDA and all the toolkits will be uploaded to ONLY my Dev-Host account. I do not authorize mirrors of my toolkits (since anyone can just repack it with a virus and blame me for it). However, my apologies if I did not get back to you. I usually wake up with 10 - 15 PMs, plus more throughout the day!

edepot

May 6, 2013
HTC One (China model) htc 802w

Getting into the China model of HTC One (htc 802w) bootloader and recovery.

It should work for any model as well.

Last edited:

hotrider1

Apr 28, 2013
factory reset

Hi, I recently unlocked my bootloader and rooted my HTC One and flashed the cyanogen rom. However, I want to now go back to the original software that came with my phone, but I did not backup my phone on twrp recovery. I do not care about my user data, I just want to go back to HTC Sense. Could anyone help me go back to the factory default os reset? Also my phone is from T-mobile if that helps.

whitetiger_0603

Mar 4, 2012
Boutte, LA
I'd personally like to know how to pull the stock recovery image from my device for later use, rather than using someone else's. I've already searched but I'm directed to the stock recovery image already posted here. Isn't there a way to make the image flashable rather than pushing it through with ADB?

rikki_sun

May 18, 2013
Auckland
Hey folks, i know that for some, unlocking bootloaders and rooting for the first time can be a bit overwhelming, so i put together a video, walking you through step by step. I hope this helps at least 1 of you ;)

The toolkit in this video guide was developed by hasson2000, so big props and thanks go out to him! You can find his toolkit here

If you folks have any questions, i strongly recommend you go to hasson2000s toolkit thread, linked above, and ask there.

beginning of the video you said"the first link in the discriptions" where is that link?!i cant find it.the discription of what?

---------- Post added at 07:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 PM ----------

the htc driver i got is 3.0.0.007 not the only in ur video 4.1.0.001.

i just cant find that link where you highlighted the new version in the video which was updated on 4.23.13.

thanks plz help me :(

Reactions: milanioom

roni2915

Sep 25, 2011
Brampton, ON
What does unlocking the bootloader do?
Is it just for installing custom roms?

i am looking to buy a rogers canada HTC one and i need to use it with Bell mobility.
how can i unlock it? do i need to follow the video and unlock the bootloader? is there anything extra that I need to do?

let me know. thanks :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

can i use HTC one Tool kit to root and unlock htc one on android 5.0.2?

1. Install latest android sdk or minimal adb and fastboot (<--- preferred if you are a beginner)
    2. Install latest HTC drivers
    3. Unlock your bootloader via htcdev.com/bootloader:
      • Create an account at htcdev.com
      • Reboot your phone in bootloader mode/fastboot usb
      • Open a command prompt from your adb/fastboot folder and get your identifier token:
        Code:
        fastboot oem get_identifier_token
      • Copy/paste the token to htcdev.com and then submit it, you'll then receive your Unlock_code.bin in your e-mail.
      • Save the Unlock_code.bin in the same folder where you have adb and fastboot on your computer. Then in the command prompt:
        Code:
        fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin
        ^^case sensitive, don't forget the capital U for "Unlock_code.bin".
    4. Once unlocked, download twrp recovery 2.8.5.0. Save it the same folder where you have adb and fastboot.
    5. Reboot your phone in bootloader/fastboot usb and flash the recovery.
      Code:
      fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.8.5.0-m7.img
      fastboot erase cache
      fastboot reboot-bootloader
    6. Download latest SuperSU (2.46), save it on your phone storage, reboot phone in twrp recovery, select "install" and install SuperSu 2.46 zip file
    7. reboot and you are done.

I receive tons of PMs and can forget who I responded to, since I am on my phone majority of the time. Anyone is allowed to make a video using my toolkit. I just do not permit people to repost my work on another site. All official toolkit threads will be on XDA and all the toolkits will be uploaded to ONLY my Dev-Host account. I do not authorize mirrors of my toolkits (since anyone can just repack it with a virus and blame me for it). However, my apologies if I did not get back to you. I usually wake up with 10 - 15 PMs, plus more throughout the day!
    So you won't loose torch and some of the other apps I've read you may lose after unlocking?

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app

no, you won't