USB drivers - HTC sync not recognizing phone

Search This thread

smartphone.net.pl

Dec 5, 2006
I'm trying to synchronize Vodafone HTC Dream with PC. But.. there's problem with USB drivers.
I tried almost everything and already searched internet, but my problem seems to be bit different.
All solutions are based on installing proper driver for ADB device or Android device. I my case there's no such device at all!!

All i got is Mass storage device (which is working OK - i can copy files to/from device) and nothing else. Obviously USB drivers doesn't match Mass storage device.
When i'm trying to uninstall this device, system is installing drivers after reconnection automatically, without asking for drivers.
Also already tried Usbdeview - no trace of "Android" device.

Possibly Vodafone stock ROM lack some communication module or smth.. any ideas?

Edit: finally managed to install USB driver from SDK and all devices can be found as required. But HTC sync still shows no phone

Last edited:

erkv

Nov 16, 2007
Madrid
as far as i know, such app is not available for us if it says in the back of the phone "with Google" thats it.

magpie2000k

Apr 13, 2005
I have exact same problem. I am sure I read it is which drivers you have to use.

Now one strange thing I once got it to connect and start to sync but that was months ago. I am sure this is possible or I wouldnt have had it do it beofre. I have to say I didnt let it finish due to not knowing what settings were in at the time ie didnt want to wipe all outlook contacts, but I am sure it can be done its just how.

Have just installed evils current rom which is fantastic all i need is sync to outlook and I will be happy.

I have it set to synce my outlook to my googlemail contacts and calenders and yes that works but doesnt take all photos of contacts across.

Any ideas from someone in the know would be great

mnijee

Sep 27, 2009
I have exact same problem. I am sure I read it is which drivers you have to use.

Now one strange thing I once got it to connect and start to sync but that was months ago. I am sure this is possible or I wouldnt have had it do it beofre. I have to say I didnt let it finish due to not knowing what settings were in at the time ie didnt want to wipe all outlook contacts, but I am sure it can be done its just how.

Have just installed evils current rom which is fantastic all i need is sync to outlook and I will be happy.

I have it set to synce my outlook to my googlemail contacts and calenders and yes that works but doesnt take all photos of contacts across.

Any ideas from someone in the know would be great
had the same problem on vista.

to resolve:

1. go to device manager (right click my computer, hit manage, then Device Manager on left pane)
2. go to USB Controller and expand. if you can find which usb device corresponds to that of your phone's, then alls you need to do is uninstall that particular driver (right click, uninstall). if not, you'll have to go thru each one and uninstall. once done, this will force the computer to rerecognize your device. you will probably have to reboot once since you'll probably have uninstalled your mouse and keyboards drivers as well. lol.
3. at this point, install your drivers by selecting "browse my computer for driver software," and locating the updated drivers.

that did it for me. hope this helps.

smartphone.net.pl

Dec 5, 2006
After searching across internet since yesterday conclusion is only one: avoid phones signed "by Google" as much as you can.
Avoid it as you would avoid sex with HIV-positive shemale from Ethiopia.

Phones "by Google" basically can sync ONLY with Google. But.. Google is the place where is main problem. Google's addressbook just sucks. There is only one place for both first and last name. If you sync Windows Mobile device or Symbian device or just your Outlook it will not recognize which part of name is first name and which is last name.
Because in WinMo you can choose how every contact is displayed, Google will read just actual view, not real data.
In result you get incredible mess in your addressbook with some contacts displayed "Firstname Surname" and some contacts "Surname Firstname".
Second problem is if you edit some entries and sync again, Google won't recognize changes and create copies!!!

Threre's no other way to sync your device with Outlook. If you export address book to .csv file you going to loose your photos and some data.
If you use SyncML effect will be similiar to .csv file.

Again - avoid phones "by Google" as much as you can. If you want Android - buy HTC Hero or Motorola CLIQ or anything without "by Google" logo which comes with 3rd party tools like HTC Sync.
Be warned.

Last edited:

addicted0010

Sep 28, 2009
I'm trying to synchronize Vodafone HTC Dream with PC. But.. there's problem with USB drivers.
I tried almost everything and already searched internet, but my problem seems to be bit different.
All solutions are based on installing proper driver for ADB device or Android device. I my case there's no such device at all!!

All i got is Mass storage device (which is working OK - i can copy files to/from device) and nothing else. Obviously USB drivers doesn't match Mass storage device.
When i'm trying to uninstall this device, system is installing drivers after reconnection automatically, without asking for drivers.
Also already tried Usbdeview - no trace of "Android" device.

Possibly Vodafone stock ROM lack some communication module or smth.. any ideas?

Edit: finally managed to install USB driver from SDK and all devices can be found as required. But HTC sync still shows no phone

have you tried 'settings-applications-develop-usb debugging' enabled?

my taiwan HTC magic seems not to be able to use mass storage device and debug usb device at the same time.

5[Strogino]

Sep 23, 2009
Moscow
I faced with similar problem. May be it can help.

My info: Windows XP SP3, HTC Magic 32A. I have installed last HTC Sync 2.0.4 already.
When my phone was with official ROM - HTC Sync recognized phone.
Then i uploaded custom ROM CyanogenMod 32A Port with custom kernel too and HTC Sync went to blind. I tried reinstall drivers, HTC Sync, USBDeview but nothings helped.

Then i reverted to official ROM with my nandroid backup (i will do backups often, they really help =). And HTC Sync found my phone and i syncronized successfully.

p.s. USB Drivers from Android SDK are drivers for ADB interface. They need to manipulate with files and roms. HTC Sync use other drivers.

Last edited:

smartphone.net.pl

Dec 5, 2006
32A and modded system - that's why your HTC Sync is working.
If you have 32B and/or original system, there's some files missing and HTC Sync won't recognize phone.

That's what i said - "by Google" means no connectivity. Files required for HTC sync were added by HTC and phone sold with these files can not be "with Google"

sxristi

Jul 12, 2011
Athens
Yes I think i agree, i got an HTC my touch 3g the 32B 2.2.1 android over ebay paid just $72 and it is nothing but problems. i can not get the Sync or any other programs to connect under windows vista (even though it does connect under Linux-Ubuntu) Perhaps the Google version is very difficult to root or whatever else you want to do.