Chrome HTC HD2 Battery Cover Tutorial

Search This thread

snuphy

May 15, 2010
Syracuse
milspecanchors.com
don't do it!

that's the problem, 14usd for a piece of metal is too expensive imo, or I would've bought one already to drill couple holes for a lanyard in there :D

This just seems like a horrible idea. I just picture your phone on the ground with a cracked screen and a lanyard attached to a battery cover hanging from your wrist... and some random guy running off with your battery. :p

croakthedj

Oct 19, 2007
The result is really astonishing. It fascinates me indeed, and now it looks like the phone a Harley rider would proudly use. Not that I own a harley, that I wish I did :D

Wouldn't using one of these
wXqpT.jpg

make the job easier anyway? ;)
Now, if only I could bring myself to do it for real, that's a sure warranty void for you.

BTW, how much did the cover become thinner after you polished it? Does it lose much thickness or is it less resistant in any way?

I own a harley and I wouldnt own it. I like it. but just cause you got chrome doesnt mean your cool. but in this case maybe so. I am doing it for my gf. she is always taking those facebook/myspace style pics.

untrueparadox

Jul 30, 2008
Los Angeles
you know you coulda made your life a lot easier and just use aircraft paint remover? a can of the aerosol kind is $5 at walmart and the gel kind is a bout $10 for a quart at autozone. no need to buff it or anything.

mcv50

Apr 17, 2010
WhiteSites, your HD2 looks AWESOME! Too bad mine is ablout to be sold on eBay. I opted for the N1. Maybe someday I will polish up the N1??? :D

Thanks.

kameleongt

Jan 17, 2007
www.orangecountyhorsepower.com
you know you coulda made your life a lot easier and just use aircraft paint remover? a can of the aerosol kind is $5 at walmart and the gel kind is a bout $10 for a quart at autozone. no need to buff it or anything.

you would still need to buff it sand and polish the alum. luckily I work at a piant shop and didn't spend 30 min on mine and I had 2 layers of automotive paint on mine ontop of the regular stuff htc coats it with. the aircraft stripper worked like a charm then work a few grits I had laying around with a 3inch air polisher and went upto 1500g. came out decent I noticed I missed a few spots so i'll be redoing it but I have another back cover for those not feeling the bling look days. here is a quik pic I took as you can see the scratches as I rushed it and didn't finish the polishing. .

31705_125870394108676_100000571480218_241472_4335709_n.jpg

ephestione

Mar 23, 2008
Rome
www.ephestione.it
This just seems like a horrible idea. I just picture your phone on the ground with a cracked screen and a lanyard attached to a battery cover hanging from your wrist... and some random guy running off with your battery. :p

lol@the random guy running off with the battery :p
No really, that is feasible, attaching it to the side you open it from is obviously dangerous, but find enough space for a lanyard on the opposite side and the battery cover is not going to get removed, there are two deeper bumps there that grapple very tight on the internal chassis.
Right now, I'm using the "adesive tape lanyard hack" and it works charms even if it's not charming :D

BTW @OP, grats for being featured on the portal ;)

Last edited:

Shum97

Feb 13, 2010
you would still need to buff it sand and polish the alum. luckily I work at a piant shop and didn't spend 30 min on mine and I had 2 layers of automotive paint on mine ontop of the regular stuff htc coats it with. the aircraft stripper worked like a charm then work a few grits I had laying around with a 3inch air polisher and went upto 1500g. came out decent I noticed I missed a few spots so i'll be redoing it but I have another back cover for those not feeling the bling look days. here is a quik pic I took as you can see the scratches as I rushed it and didn't finish the polishing. .

31705_125870394108676_100000571480218_241472_4335709_n.jpg

Looks really good, am thinking i might just give it a go:)

xtralongleave

May 28, 2010
Orange County, CA
*droooool*

okay is it just me, or does that back piece look freakin' awesome??!!!

want to try my hand at this, but majorly fear having it look not as good... anyone out there really good at this and want to sell one?? :) haha PM me!!

WhiteSites

May 22, 2010
Pearland
blog.whitesites.com
Yours looks awesome. I wish I had access to a 3 inch air polisher when I did mine. I dream of the day when HTC starts taking the same kind of pride into their phones as watch manufacturers do. Building them of full metal casings. I have thought about taking the phone apart and attemping to polish the plastic parts to a high glossy black finish, but I am not sure if under the rubbery skin if the plastic is hard enough to take a good polish. I have tried to polish soft plastics before and the result isn't pretty

OneGoodKnock

Nov 20, 2009
KnockLand
Not convinced!! I have done this to my phone, problem is is that it scratches so easily, it now looks a mess, also aluminum tarnishes in air quite quickly. My advice would be to leave alone.

Finalforce1111

Jan 11, 2009
Not far away
Hi all

First of all thx for the wunderfull idea !!!
I did it and it is great!!!

But i did it with 800 permanently so for the colour and the finish also.
It dont reflects, i dont know why so if anyone of you can give me a hint how to make it reflective it would be great

stillbeer

Dec 29, 2008
Gorredijk
I did it with 200 then 400 grain,then used liquid polish (for your kitchen sink you know),then used BRASSO (copper /silver pollish).
It turned out like a mirror

Kalavere

Feb 12, 2010
Hi all

First of all thx for the wunderfull idea !!!
I did it and it is great!!!

But i did it with 800 permanently so for the colour and the finish also.
It dont reflects, i dont know why so if anyone of you can give me a hint how to make it reflective it would be great

800 grain is too harsh, you need finish with at least 1000 for a nice mirror finish.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I wasn't happy with my HD2, so I decided to polish the battery cover. I wrote a tutorial in case anyone is interested in doing the same to their device.

blog.whitesites.com/Chrome-HTC-HD2-Battery-Cover-Tutorial__634103488469591250_blog.htm
    You inspired my modded HD2

Hey WhiteSites, you rock! You really inspired me and my back was all scuffed up and terrible lookin so I started sandin! lol I got it down to the metal then got lazy.....well not really just opted to have it professionally done. I also took it a step further and got mine engraved with a 2nd G logo I redesigned for myself. Check it out and let me know what you think.
    IMG009.jpg

IMG022.jpg

IMG024.jpg

IMG023.jpg