[TOOL][Updated 21-AUG-2011]Inspire Factory Reset/S-ON tool. GB and FR versions.

Search This thread

Gene Poole

Jul 15, 2010
Brighton IL
I'm working on a single-package solution for S-ON full factory reset. It's a PD98IMG type package that, in addition to the program itself, contains the complete factory stock 1.80.502.3 RUU. It runs in three phases:

Overview:
  • Installs itself as a PD98IMG type package (it contains a stripped down CM6 OS with a single app--the app that does the restoration, the correct radio/kernel combo for gfree exploit, and a data partition containing the RUU); Simply copy the file to the SD card (with an adapter if you can't do it through the phone), rename it to exactly "PD98IMG.zip", then boot into HBOOT (disconnect USB if connected, pull and put back battery, then hold VOL-DOWN and momentarily press POWER).
  • Boots and runs the restoration program as the only app in the OS, prompting the user at each step to make sure all goes well. The last step copies the RUU from the data partition to the SD card, thereby replacing the PD98IMG.zip that installed everything with the RUU, then reboots to HBOOT for the final phase.
  • The final phase is loading and running the RUU on the newly restored (S-ON) device to return it to full factory status. The RUU copied in phase 2 is a genuine HTC stock 1.80.502.3 restoration RUU. Allow it to unzip and self-check, then press VOL-UP to write it to the device.

Once completed successfully, you should be in the same condition as an out-of-box new phone.

If you do have to send your phone back for warranty or insurance purposes, it should be a lot easier than the currently available methods.

Important! The newest batch of Inspires shipped from HTC (probably anything bought new after Aug. 2011) have hardware that is incompatible with the hboot in the Froyo update as listed here. If your Inspire is a later model Inspire, do not run the Froyo version on it. Use the Gingerbread version only!

Instructions:
  1. Do a nandroid and/or Titanium backup! It never hurts!
  2. While still in ClockWorkMod recovery, do a "Factory Reset/Wipe Data". This is necessary if you've got an ext4 cache or CM7 dalvik-cache on /cache. If not it will cause boot hang after installation. EXT4 cache will not work with this tool. If your recovery has ext4, be sure you format the cache to EXT3.
  3. Download from the URL below, copy to the SD card and rename to "PD98IMG.zip"
  4. Reboot to HBOOT: Shutdown completely (disconnect USB if connected and pull battery if necessary) then while holding down the VOL-DOWN key, press the POWER key for about half a second. The phone should boot into HBOOT, check the PD98IMG.zip for consistency, then prompt you to install. Select VOL-UP to install.
  5. Once installed, HBOOT will prompt you to reboot by pressing the POWER button. Do this.
  6. The operating system in this tool is a stripped down CM6 install with only the minimum features necessary to run an apk. The apk for the tool will run after the HTC splash screen, then prompt you through the process. Depending on the speed of your SD card, the last step, copying the RUU to the SD card, may take several minutes.
  7. Once successfully completed, the phone will automatically reboot to HBOOT and begin the process of installing the RUU. The only thing you have to do at this point is acknowledge the prompt to install by pressing VOL-UP. (Note: the RUU install may skip a couple of images during the install but this is normal.)
  8. Once the RUU is installed, press POWER to reboot and your phone should be in 100% factory out-of-box condition.

Changelog:
  • 13-SEP-2011 -- Added emphasis to step 2 to drive home the fact that this will not work if you have an EXT4 cache partition.
  • 21-AUG-2011 -- 1.07: Removed "beta" designation. Added both Gingerbread (2.3.3) and Froyo (2.2.2) versions since 2.3.3 is now officially released for Inspire. Cleaned up the launcher a bit, fixed some typos and scrolling issues.
  • 11-AUG-2011 -- 1.06b: Reverted to a PD98IMG that does NOT erase the cache. This was causing boot hangs. There is now a new step 2 in the instructions. Be sure to clear your data/cache.
  • 10-AUG-2011 -- 1.05b: Fixed black screen for some Inspires with different mfg. LCD panels. Added cache wipe to main image as a dirty cache partition could cause bootloops in some situations. Disabled screen timeout so screen doesn't blank out while copying RUU.

Download (restores to official Froyo 2.2.2) (315MB):
http://hoxnet.com/droid/s-on/PD98IMG_Inspire_S-ON_FactoryRestore_FR_1.07.zip
MD5: 4402961aef54f2928a757bd385e6c151

Download (restores to official Gingerbread 2.3.3) (309MB):
http://hoxnet.com/droid/s-on/PD98IMG_Inspire_S-ON_FactoryRestore_GB_1.07.zip
MD5: f6d519b11cc6229eb02c3ba274680c1e

--

Special thanks to ATTN1 and the rest of the crew at #liberatedAria for their guidance in producing this. Thanks to m0biusace and kem52 for alpha testing this. Thanks to XDA crew for all the help they've provided with this forum.

Last edited:

whiteman0vette

Jan 23, 2010
Fairmont
When I try to do the power and holding the volume up button what happens is the phone vibrates and the led light just keeps flashing ? Any ideas ?

Sent from my Inspire 4G using XDA Premium App

Gene Poole

Jul 15, 2010
Brighton IL
Reactions: inneyeseakay

Zbor

Jul 13, 2011
Chicago
I'm actually wanting to flash my phone back to an "out of the box" state, I'm downloading the .zip now, I'll post the results in a few. If this works, you will have made me a happy man!

I'm going to get the Motorola Atrix (I hope it's actually better...)

*EDIT* so I need to have S-ON BEFORE running this package?

I downloaded the above, renamed it, booted to HBOOT, ran the update however I still have S-OFF. Boots to a black screen... (Brick??)

Last edited:

Gene Poole

Jul 15, 2010
Brighton IL
I'm actually wanting to flash my phone back to an "out of the box" state, I'm downloading the .zip now, I'll post the results in a few. If this works, you will have made me a happy man!

I downloaded the above, renamed it, booted to HBOOT, ran the update however I still have S-OFF. Boots to a black screen... (Brick??)

No HTC splash screen? It should boot into a minimal android system. Try pulling the battery and power on.

TheJokah

Jun 27, 2010
NH
ill test for ya..

downloading now. i have to get my phone to stock to show my friend how easy is is to root and use custom roms. hope this works...

mounttimp

Apr 27, 2011
Colorado
The atrix sucked for me I sold my first inspire and got one it just sucked it might be good in the winter for a hand warmer it gets smoking hot so if you get one good luck

attn1

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 18, 2010
Nice job, GenePoole. This was well thought out and executed.

Ethere

Oct 25, 2010
Central PA
This didn't work for me. I wanted to try out the new Gingerbread release from AT&T and when I run through this process, I'm stuck at a black screen after step 4. I tried twice just to make sure I didn't screw something up. Black screen, both times.

greentrees89

Jun 19, 2011
tacoma
thanks

so i haven't tried this method yet, im wondering if i return my inspire to get a new replacement inspire, will it be as easy to root my new inspire as it was a couple months ago, the reason i ask is because anyone with a rooted evo 4g better take good care of it because if they send it in to get a new one they will be stuck with stock, the new evo 4g is unrootable :eek: lol, sucks for them, any ways i just dont want a stock inspire that cant be rooted, thanks for this tool mate, i will surely use it once i know i can root my replacement inspire :D

onthezone

Mar 12, 2007
This worked perfect and checked for update and told me I can download gb right away. Thanks and keep up the good work.

Sent from my Desire HD using XDA Premium App

trell959

Dec 20, 2010
California

Did you check the md5 sum?

Sent from my Desire HD using XDA Premium App

Gene Poole

Jul 15, 2010
Brighton IL
so i haven't tried this method yet, im wondering if i return my inspire to get a new replacement inspire, will it be as easy to root my new inspire as it was a couple months ago, the reason i ask is because anyone with a rooted evo 4g better take good care of it because if they send it in to get a new one they will be stuck with stock, the new evo 4g is unrootable :eek: lol, sucks for them, any ways i just dont want a stock inspire that cant be rooted, thanks for this tool mate, i will surely use it once i know i can root my replacement inspire :D

Yes, the new ace hack kit by ATTN1 fully supports the new AT&G Gingerbread update.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm working on a single-package solution for S-ON full factory reset. It's a PD98IMG type package that, in addition to the program itself, contains the complete factory stock 1.80.502.3 RUU. It runs in three phases:

Overview:
    • Installs itself as a PD98IMG type package (it contains a stripped down CM6 OS with a single app--the app that does the restoration, the correct radio/kernel combo for gfree exploit, and a data partition containing the RUU); Simply copy the file to the SD card (with an adapter if you can't do it through the phone), rename it to exactly "PD98IMG.zip", then boot into HBOOT (disconnect USB if connected, pull and put back battery, then hold VOL-DOWN and momentarily press POWER).
    • Boots and runs the restoration program as the only app in the OS, prompting the user at each step to make sure all goes well. The last step copies the RUU from the data partition to the SD card, thereby replacing the PD98IMG.zip that installed everything with the RUU, then reboots to HBOOT for the final phase.
    • The final phase is loading and running the RUU on the newly restored (S-ON) device to return it to full factory status. The RUU copied in phase 2 is a genuine HTC stock 1.80.502.3 restoration RUU. Allow it to unzip and self-check, then press VOL-UP to write it to the device.

Once completed successfully, you should be in the same condition as an out-of-box new phone.

If you do have to send your phone back for warranty or insurance purposes, it should be a lot easier than the currently available methods.

Important! The newest batch of Inspires shipped from HTC (probably anything bought new after Aug. 2011) have hardware that is incompatible with the hboot in the Froyo update as listed here. If your Inspire is a later model Inspire, do not run the Froyo version on it. Use the Gingerbread version only!

Instructions:
    1. Do a nandroid and/or Titanium backup! It never hurts!
    2. While still in ClockWorkMod recovery, do a "Factory Reset/Wipe Data". This is necessary if you've got an ext4 cache or CM7 dalvik-cache on /cache. If not it will cause boot hang after installation. EXT4 cache will not work with this tool. If your recovery has ext4, be sure you format the cache to EXT3.
    3. Download from the URL below, copy to the SD card and rename to "PD98IMG.zip"
    4. Reboot to HBOOT: Shutdown completely (disconnect USB if connected and pull battery if necessary) then while holding down the VOL-DOWN key, press the POWER key for about half a second. The phone should boot into HBOOT, check the PD98IMG.zip for consistency, then prompt you to install. Select VOL-UP to install.
    5. Once installed, HBOOT will prompt you to reboot by pressing the POWER button. Do this.
    6. The operating system in this tool is a stripped down CM6 install with only the minimum features necessary to run an apk. The apk for the tool will run after the HTC splash screen, then prompt you through the process. Depending on the speed of your SD card, the last step, copying the RUU to the SD card, may take several minutes.
    7. Once successfully completed, the phone will automatically reboot to HBOOT and begin the process of installing the RUU. The only thing you have to do at this point is acknowledge the prompt to install by pressing VOL-UP. (Note: the RUU install may skip a couple of images during the install but this is normal.)
    8. Once the RUU is installed, press POWER to reboot and your phone should be in 100% factory out-of-box condition.

Changelog:
    • 13-SEP-2011 -- Added emphasis to step 2 to drive home the fact that this will not work if you have an EXT4 cache partition.
    • 21-AUG-2011 -- 1.07: Removed "beta" designation. Added both Gingerbread (2.3.3) and Froyo (2.2.2) versions since 2.3.3 is now officially released for Inspire. Cleaned up the launcher a bit, fixed some typos and scrolling issues.
    • 11-AUG-2011 -- 1.06b: Reverted to a PD98IMG that does NOT erase the cache. This was causing boot hangs. There is now a new step 2 in the instructions. Be sure to clear your data/cache.
    • 10-AUG-2011 -- 1.05b: Fixed black screen for some Inspires with different mfg. LCD panels. Added cache wipe to main image as a dirty cache partition could cause bootloops in some situations. Disabled screen timeout so screen doesn't blank out while copying RUU.

Download (restores to official Froyo 2.2.2) (315MB):
    http://hoxnet.com/droid/s-on/PD98IMG_Inspire_S-ON_FactoryRestore_FR_1.07.zip
    MD5: 4402961aef54f2928a757bd385e6c151

Download (restores to official Gingerbread 2.3.3) (309MB):
    http://hoxnet.com/droid/s-on/PD98IMG_Inspire_S-ON_FactoryRestore_GB_1.07.zip
    MD5: f6d519b11cc6229eb02c3ba274680c1e

--

Special thanks to ATTN1 and the rest of the crew at #liberatedAria for their guidance in producing this. Thanks to m0biusace and kem52 for alpha testing this. Thanks to XDA crew for all the help they've provided with this forum.
    My bad. Alright so, I have a rooted htc inspire and I want to unroot it because of the problems I'm having.

My question is, if I unroot my phone and turn s-on, will I be able to use my phone on a different cellular service still (i.e- having a AT&T Phone but using a T-Mobile SIM card)

The simple answer is yes. The long answer is that gfree, the tool that hack kits run, obtains S-OFF, unlocks carrier and unlocks SIM. The process of unlocking the SIM results in zeroing out a block of data in the secure partition. gfree makes a copy of this information and stores it in a file on your SD card called part7backup-xxxxxxxxxx.bin (where xxxxxxxxxx is a randomly generated number based on the date/time) To truly restore it to as-original, you'd need to copy the data in that file back to partition 7, but my tool (and every other s-on method I've seen) don't bother because it is NOT a warranty violation to have an SIM unlocked phone.

The relevant question, though, is what makes you think returning to S-ON will fix your problem? S-ON is a single bit in partition7 that is read by the system at boot to determine whether or not to turn security on or off. Here's an analogy: if you've got a light switch turned on, but there's no light because the bulb is burned out, it wouldn't seem reasonable to expect that turning the switch off, then back on would fix the problem.

You really only need to go back to S-ON if you need to return your phone for warranty purposes. If you're having issues with the phone, then it is probably something screwy in the ROM you're running, other conflicts in the data partition, or some bad hardware. None of these are going to be fixed by switching S-ON then S-OFF again. Things to try (in this order): wipe data/factory reset. This will remove all user data and apps and start you from a clean slate with respect to the current ROM. Install a different ROM. And finally, if all seems to point to hardware problems, use this tool to return to S-ON and send it in for warranty or repairs.
    I cant believe i did this and everyone has every right to call me stupid but here it goes anyways...

I have an inspire which was rooted with CWM but had s-on and i got fed up with the radio that was on there so i decided to use another one

i tried the ace hack kit and it was going along smoothly and then it said unlocking radio please be patient and the phone was on the htc (white & green text) screen for almost 20 minutes and i then realized the phoen wasnt responding but in cmd adb devices or fastboot devices was not showing a device attatched

now my phone wont boot into recovery or any rom BUT it does boot into the bootloader

i tried both the zips on here and it checks the zip (progress bar completes) then it says again checking zip (no progress bar) and it just cancels out and goes back to the option screen :(

any ideas on how to get my phone back again?

i cant use fastboot flash recovery because i still have s-on so any help would be greeat :-D

This will only work with an S-OFF device. If you're S-ON, then you don't need this tool. Use the RUU to return to stock.
    When I try to do the power and holding the volume up button what happens is the phone vibrates and the led light just keeps flashing ? Any ideas ?

Whoops. First typo. It now reads:
    (pull and put back battery, then hold VOL-DOWN and momentarily press POWER).

Sorry about that.
    I should have been more clearer. I was referring to the CWR you just posted. The reason i ask is a while back i was helping someone who was stuck and could only go into hboot. They had no recovery installed so i gave them your your link to the older recovery you had posted. their phone did not find it but it did find a dhd pd98 formatted ruu.

I had forgotten about it but your post reminded me to ask you. I noticed that in pd98 files found in the dhd section have a model id of pd9810000 vs our pd9812000. Thats why I asked if the txt file would have to be adjusted and maybe why it failed to load for the dhd user?

Sorry. If I hadn't been just skimming, I probably would have caught that.

I don't think it should matter as long as the device is S-OFF. S-OFF should ignore any CID or version specific files and just chug right along. Of course, if it's S-ON, then nothing but HTC-signed, CID-specific, and version appropriate PD98IMG's will install.