[Q] Camcorderproblem: Only one channel recording instead of stereo after 4.4.2 update

Search This thread

Chdcmac

Feb 24, 2010
After I updated my HTC One to Android KitKat the Phone only records with one channel (left channel) instead of two (stereo) when using the camcorderfunction.

Anyone having the same issue?

gustav30

Jul 20, 2010
LG G8X ThinQ
What Rom are you on? I wrote about that when I installed Viper over the weekend. Noticed exact same thing. Thought my second Mic was dead. The only one active is the Mic on the bottom.

But, I returned to my 4.4 stock kit Kat T-Mobile US Rom, and stereo recording is working.

If you can list what Rom you are on that would be great.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Chdcmac

Feb 24, 2010
What Rom are you on? I wrote about that when I installed Viper over the weekend. Noticed exact same thing. Thought my second Mic was dead. The only one active is the Mic on the bottom.

But, I returned to my 4.4 stock kit Kat T-Mobile US Rom, and stereo recording is working.

If you can list what Rom you are on that would be great.

I'm using the stock rom. Just updated from stock 4.3 to 4.4 (4.19.401.9) I'm from Holland. After the factory reset the problem still excist :(

Last edited:

gustav30

Jul 20, 2010
LG G8X ThinQ
Not sure...we need more testers to try some video recording and post results.

The problem is that testing a video and relying on the phone speakers to show the problem won't work, since the phone speakers will play the left track through both speakers, giving the appearance that audio was recorded in stereo...

The video needs to be listened through earphones, or copy the video from the phone to PC/MAC and then give it a listen.

Chdcmac

Feb 24, 2010
Not sure...we need more testers to try some video recording and post results.

The problem is that testing a video and relying on the phone speakers to show the problem won't work, since the phone speakers will play the left track through both speakers, giving the appearance that audio was recorded in stereo...

The video needs to be listened through earphones, or copy the video from the phone to PC/MAC and then give it a listen.

I've copied the video to the pc. The sound is still coming from the left channel. I hope this isn't permanently.

gustav30

Jul 20, 2010
LG G8X ThinQ
I've seen a few posts in the Rom threads where people have brought this up. Saw a post in Revolution and Insert Coin threads.

But we need more people to test video recording and then listen through ear buds or on computer.

Anyone who is on the latest and greatest Sense 5.5 kit Kat builds, can you please make a short video using the Sense camera app, and listen to it through headphones or on computer? Do you only have audio coming out of the left channel?

Chdcmac

Feb 24, 2010
I've seen a few posts in the Rom threads where people have brought this up. Saw a post in Revolution and Insert Coin threads.

But we need more people to test video recording and then listen through ear buds or on computer.

Anyone who is on the latest and greatest Sense 5.5 kit Kat builds, can you please make a short video using the Sense camera app, and listen to it through headphones or on computer? Do you only have audio coming out of the left channel?

Yes. But strangely, when I restart the phone and make a video, then it works perfectly :S But when I make a second video, the audio comes only from the left channel.

audioralf

Mar 12, 2011
I can confirm that.
There is a command, which HTC uses to activate the camcorder mic. Maybe HTC forgot to call this procedure when restarting the 2nd recording.
The function is already present in the phone application to enable the camcorder mic for the noise canceling function.
I use this as a workarround to enable stereo recording.
Maybe someone can compare the old and the new video app to find the "enableCamcorderMic" Function and make it available for other applications. There are some applications which allow to select between the main and the camcorder mic. They work on most devices, which have 2 mics, but not on the HTC ONE. This can be tricked out by switching to the phone application while a recording-application already records. Start a call and cancel the call. Then return to the recording app via taskmanager and you will have 2 channel recording. Unfortunately this does not work for the video app, which cancels video recording when switching to the phone app. But I did not need the workarround in the past for the videoapplicatiom. But now HTC has a bug in it. I hope someone could be able to isolate the "enableCamcorderMic" function.

Ralf

gustav30

Jul 20, 2010
LG G8X ThinQ
I can confirm that.
There is a command, which HTC uses to activate the camcorder mic. Maybe HTC forgot to call this procedure when restarting the 2nd recording.
The function is already present in the phone application to enable the camcorder mic for the noise canceling function.
I use this as a workarround to enable stereo recording.
Maybe someone can compare the old and the new video app to find the "enableCamcorderMic" Function and make it available for other applications. There are some applications which allow to select between the main and the camcorder mic. They work on most devices, which have 2 mics, but not on the HTC ONE. This can be tricked out by switching to the phone application while a recording-application already records. Start a call and cancel the call. Then return to the recording app via taskmanager and you will have 2 channel recording. Unfortunately this does not work for the video app, which cancels video recording when switching to the phone app. But I did not need the workarround in the past for the videoapplicatiom. But now HTC has a bug in it. I hope someone could be able to isolate the "enableCamcorderMic" function.

Ralf

Hi - can you explain in more detail what your workaround is? Take first video - then open phone app - then go back to camera app? Or does this not work anymore.

Anyone else experience this issue of only getting stereo recording in the first go around...exit camera app....go back to camera app start a new video.
listen to the second video you took through headphones or on computer - do you hear both channels?

audioralf

Mar 12, 2011
Hi - can you explain in more detail what your workaround is? Take first video - then open phone app - then go back to camera app? Or does this not work anymore.

Anyone else experience this issue of only getting stereo recording in the first go around...exit camera app....go back to camera app start a new video.
listen to the second video you took through headphones or on computer - do you hear both channels?

I described it more detailed here But unfortunately it does not help for the new camera bug, because the video application stops recording, when switching to the phone application. Normal audio application continue recording when taking or receiving a call, so they benefit from the oping of the camcorder channel which the phone application does for the noise canceling funciton.
Did you try to install the old video application from older stock ROM to your phone. Maybe that helps.
Ralf

gustav30

Jul 20, 2010
LG G8X ThinQ
I described it more detailed here But unfortunately it does not help for the new camera bug, because the video application stops recording, when switching to the phone application. Normal audio application continue recording when taking or receiving a call, so they benefit from the oping of the camcorder channel which the phone application does for the noise canceling funciton.
Did you try to install the old video application from older stock ROM to your phone. Maybe that helps.
Ralf

I actually threw on one of the Sense 6 roms. Guess what, no good. Same exact problem.
Something tells me its in the kernel of 4.4.2.

What's bugging me is that no one else either doesn't notice this problem or doesn't care judging by the lack of of comments I've seen. It would be hard to get a Dev on board to look into if there is lack of interest.

Right now I've flashed a Google play rom. While the Google play Roms don't do video recording in stereo at least mono recording is handled correctly, by distributing the source to both channels.

In sense its not mono in that the right side is just dead. Nothing worse than playing back videos on a computer or TV and having the right speaker sometimes on and then off.

audioralf

Mar 12, 2011
I actually threw on one of the Sense 6 roms. Guess what, no good. Same exact problem.
Something tells me its in the kernel of 4.4.2.

What's bugging me is that no one else either doesn't notice this problem or doesn't care judging by the lack of of comments I've seen. It would be hard to get a Dev on board to look into if there is lack of interest.

Right now I've flashed a Google play rom. While the Google play Roms don't do video recording in stereo at least mono recording is handled correctly, by distributing the source to both channels.

In sense its not mono in that the right side is just dead. Nothing worse than playing back videos on a computer or TV and having the right speaker sometimes on and then off.

Yes your observation is totally correct. The camcorder mic is responsible for one channel. If it is not available you will get just one channel. In my testings the phone switched to mono recording from the main mic.
I tested to reinstall an older HTC video app via titanium backup, but it did not start. :(
Ralf

luigi311

Feb 18, 2011
I can confirm this. I just did an RUU and i recorded using the voice recorder and video recorder and both come out with only 1 channel being used and its the left one.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xuxe5l1xvqutp0g/JSajfATqqY That has 4 samples in it, 2 using the latest stock update on the sprint htc one m7 and the other 2 are from the sixth sense rom rls2

Last edited:

NxNW

Apr 11, 2011
I am running 4.19.1540.1

EDIT

Ok I see what you're talking about.

Steps to reproduce:

1 Boot to a kit kat sense rom
2 record video A
3 immediately record video B of exact same ambient soundfield. Repeat if desired for videos B1, B2 etc.
4 reboot
5 record video C of exact same ambient soundfield.

Videos A and C are in stereo, video B is in mono.

Last edited:
Reactions: gustav30

audioralf

Mar 12, 2011
I can confirm this. I just did an RUU and i recorded using the voice recorder and video recorder and both come out with only 1 channel being used and its the left one.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xuxe5l1xvqutp0g/JSajfATqqY That has 4 samples in it, 2 using the latest stock update on the sprint htc one m7 and the other 2 are from the sixth sense rom rls2

VoiceRecorder was never able to record in stereo, or select the camcorder mic. It stopps, if you change to other app via task manager. So you can not use my workarround to enable the camcorder mic.

---------- Post added at 01:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 PM ----------

I am running 4.19.1540.1

Yes, and following videos D,E, F... Only the first video is in stereo.
So the enableCamcorderMic function ist used in the new video app after reboot. I experimented with killing camera app, gallery and videoplayer after the first video and sometimes I got back the stereo without an reboot. For this I used the app "TaskManager" (not simply the function in the "recent apps" screen). But i could not find a reproducible way.
So we need a firmware switch for this function. Then all apps would profitate from it:
Selecting main or camcorder mic for mono recording.
Using stereo recording.
Using mono recording from both mics. This helps if you held the phone while making notes of a speech (e.g. in university) and recording. On the HTC ONE the main mic points to your body and not in the direction of the speaker.
I hope that one of the devs could find out how HTC enables the camcorder mic in the video app and in the phone application when pressing the call button.
Ralf

gustav30

Jul 20, 2010
LG G8X ThinQ
VoiceRecorder was never able to record in stereo, or select the camcorder mic. It stopps, if you change to other app via task manager. So you can not use my workarround to enable the camcorder mic.

---------- Post added at 01:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 PM ----------

Yes, and following videos D,E, F... Only the first video is in stereo.
So the enableCamcorderMic function ist used in the new video app after reboot. I experimented with killing camera app, gallery and videoplayer after the first video and sometimes I got back the stereo without an reboot. For this I used the app "TaskManager" (not simply the function in the "recent apps" screen). But i could not find a reproducible way.
So we need a firmware switch for this function. Then all apps would profitate from it:
Selecting main or camcorder mic for mono recording.
Using stereo recording.
Using mono recording from both mics. This helps if you held the phone while making notes of a speech (e.g. in university) and recording. On the HTC ONE the main mic points to your body and not in the direction of the speaker.
I hope that one of the devs could find out how HTC enables the camcorder mic in the video app and in the phone application when pressing the call button.
Ralf

I had asked Kernel Dev Flar2 to see if he could reproduce the problem and he could on his M7. He said he might take a look if he has time, but I think he's got the M8 now, so not 100% sure. Hope that he can.

In the meantime - to counter the issue, I've flashed now a Sense 5.5 Android 4.3 Rom on my phone, running on top of KitKat firmware. Stereo recording acts normal the way its supposed to everytime exiting and reopening camera app. So if you need stereo recording, until someone fixes it, I suggest finding a Sense 5.5 Jellybean Rom.

For me its important because I'm always capturing videos of my 6 year old and can't tell her, 'honey hold on, I need to reboot my phone so I can record you in stereo"....

Somehow we have to grab the attention of HTC so they are aware, I hope they don't leave us hanging now that the M8 is out and attention is focused on that.

It would seem to me that everyone who is on a KitKat firmware/Rom probably has this issue - we just need more testers to confirm and then go to HTC on Twitter/Facebook.

audioralf

Mar 12, 2011
gustav30;51474822 Somehow we have to grab the attention of HTC so they are aware said:
Well I have reported the missingaudio recording for normal apps months ago. Even to HTC. I have also uploaded them a audiofile to demonstrate the workarroud, but they told be that they will send it to HTC developer team. I am waiting for months so I decided to share the workaround although it is complicated. I think they don't want other developers use both mics for stereo recording. The people should use the own HTC video app to capture stereo videos. But now they have fallen in their own hole by forgetting to insert the enableCamcorder function in the new videoapp for KitKat. It is ouside the normal Android SDK, so normal developers are not able to use the function.
This is really a restriction and a challenge for developers.
And I think HTC has to react and update their video, because many people will complain the missing stereo on video.
The professional musicians are in small minority, but if you once heard the difference between mono and stereo you will always prefer stereo, because you can better understand even an recorded speech in stereo.
Ralf

Reactions: gustav30

gustav30

Jul 20, 2010
LG G8X ThinQ
The professional musicians are in small minority, but if you once heard the difference between mono and stereo you will always prefer stereo, because you can better understand even an recorded speech in stereo.
Ralf

I play piano so I do feel your pain a bit! It would be nice to record some of my sample libraries in stereo especially with these hDr mics

audioralf

Mar 12, 2011
I play piano so I do feel your pain a bit! It would be nice to record some of my sample libraries in stereo especially with these hDr mics

Yes you can do that even in KitKat for example with Rec Forge 2 app.
Read my instructions for settings and the workarround. I demonstrate the trick in the attached mp3 file. Listen to the result :)

Attachments

• HTC_ONE_RalfsStereotrick.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 235

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Flashed the official Canadian sense 6 rom and ran a few tests and can confirm that the camcorder issue isn't present. It's all good!
    Somewhat good news to report. Just spoke to the upper support team at HTC on the phone and they are aware of the issue and agree that it is a software bug and are working on a fix.
    Just flashed ViperOne and in just a few hours, I immediately noticed this problem. I've always been very happy with the audio quality of the videos I took when i was still on the stock rom. But now that it seems that theres no fix for this, I'm seriously considering going back to a jellybean rom for the mean time. Maybe a jellybean ViperOne rom.
    I did exactly that! I'm on Viper 3.5 stereo works great!

I did some extensive testing over the weekend on KitKat - what makes it breaks it with a possible work around. Here are some tests and results:
    First are the tests that break it:
    Open the camera app take first video. While staying in camera app, take 2nd video and or 3rd.
    Results:
    2nd and 3rd video will not have stereo, only left-channel audio, only first video will have both channels for stereo.

(Only difference here is closing camera app and going back in.)
    Open the camera app take first video. Close camera app and go back in to take 2nd or 3rd video.
    Results:
    2nd and 3rd video will not have stereo, only left-channel audio, only first video will have both channels for stereo.

Now, I previous thought only a reboot will enable stereo recording again, but I found a temporary fix:

Now for a temporary fix:
    After you take your first video that will be in stereo, exit camera app, and open Google now. Just click the Google voice button. Doesn't matter if you say anything. Now go back to camera app and take 2nd video. The second video will now be in stereo without having to reboot phone!

After taking 2nd video - go back to Google now and open Google voice again. Again doesn't matter if you say anything. Go back to camera app and take 3rd video - it will be in stereo.

So for some reason Google voice resets whatever gets broke by the camera app for the 2nd microphone.

This method is kind of a hack job, because you have to remember before taking a video to open Google Voice if you want stereo recording. This can be impractical if you are with friends/enjoying a concert to remember after each video to go to Google Voice.

Also - this bug is present with Zoe from the camera app......and this is what killed it for me to go back to a 4.3 Jellybean rom:
    Lets say you open the camera app and take a Zoe and want to take a video right after the Zoe....The Zoe will be in stereo - but your video will not be, only left-channel. So...even after taking a Zoe, you have to go back to Google Voice and then go back in to Camera app and take video.

This was the killer for me. Too many steps to remember. KitKat not worth staying on as I'm constantly taking Zoes/videos of my 6 year old. Can't be going back to Google voice.

I opened a ticket with HTC and it has moved its way up to tier 2 support. But I'm not holding my breath on it.

If you are on a KitKat Google play edition Rom this bug is avoided, since that camera app only records true Mono, so if you want to settle for mono you might be able to grab that camera from the play store.

If anyone has any suggestions it would be most welcome! I've thought of copying older jellybean camera libs to KitKat but don't have the time to test and see if that will make it or break it. Also I've tried some of the Sense 6 ports - and it seems the microphones are really sensitive in the camcorder app where a lot of clipping happens. Reminds me of my old Sensation, the way Sense 6 records video on the One. (I know its a port).

So for me right now Viper 3.5 is the way to go if you depend on stereo recording and can't be bothered with the google voice work around.

Hope this helps!
    I have potentially good news but could use some help testing it.

Google released their camera app into the Play Store for all Kit Kat devices. See more info here: http://www.androidcentral.com/google-camera-interface-overhauled-gains-swanky-defocus-effect

It also has a recording feature and from my quick testing, it doesn't seem to have the microphone issue, even on multiple recordings. I didn't get a chance to listen exactly and see if both left and right channels are working and compare it to the HTC camera app but I'm pretty sure they are because the volume doesn't decrease drastically in my 2nd recording.

Maybe some of you can give it a try and see what you think and how the app compares while we wait for a fix to the stock HTC app.
    I am running 4.19.1540.1

EDIT

Ok I see what you're talking about.

Steps to reproduce:

1 Boot to a kit kat sense rom
    2 record video A
    3 immediately record video B of exact same ambient soundfield. Repeat if desired for videos B1, B2 etc.
    4 reboot
    5 record video C of exact same ambient soundfield.