[Q]-Bootlooping/possibly bricked 7' Kindle HD

Search This thread

NapalmDawn

Sep 3, 2010
Raleigh
This will sound repetitive but try it again. One time it took five time. Also, when it first starts, it will blink 3 times and then stay solid on the KF logo and then look like a normal boot up. Let the ROM have some time to finish cooking. If it blinks more than 5 times, its another bootloop. A bootloop is pretty much always fixable.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD running CM 10.2 using xda app-developers

---------- Post added at 02:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:33 AM ----------

Just checking that you have SDK installed http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oaNM-lt_aHw&desktop_uri=/watch?v=oaNM-lt_aHw There is a guy on here named stunts and his modified drivers have saved many a KFHD. Maybe give them a try. http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=44446906&postcount=9

I gave it a solid 15-20 mins and watched it do the same pattern of the the black screen, solid logo, animated slow, animated fast, blink, black screen, solid, etc. I'll try it again tonight. As for the SDK, i have the android SDK on the pc and I get solid connectivity to the device and can issue commands to it. I'll check the YT video out tonight. Can you communicate with the device properly if the SDK is not installed?

NapalmDawn

Sep 3, 2010
Raleigh
Just curious did you try the restore tool instead of kffa yet? Second question might try installing the second boot loader and see if you can get twrp installed then push a rom to it.

Sent from my XT907 using xda app-developers app

I tried both tools. I tried the restore tool after the KFFA failed. The KFFA actually reported errors when trying to format 2 sections. I could try the second bootloader trick. Which tool is best for that? KFFA?

Last edited:

NapalmDawn

Sep 3, 2010
Raleigh
Code:
C:\KFA>fastboot -i 0x1949 flash bootloader kfhd7-u-boot-prod-7.2.3.bin
target reported max download size of 1006632960 bytes
sending 'bootloader' (221 KB)...
OKAY [  0.084s]
writing 'bootloader'...
OKAY [  0.045s]
finished. total time: 0.131s

C:\KFA>fastboot -i 0x1949 flash boot kfhd7-freedom-boot-7.4.3.img
sending 'boot' (8145 KB)...
OKAY [  2.846s]
writing 'boot'...
OKAY [  0.677s]
finished. total time: 3.526s

C:\KFA>fastboot -i 0x1949 flash recovery kfhd7-twrp-2.6.3.1-recovery.im
sending 'recovery' (4041 KB)...
OKAY [  1.418s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [  0.352s]
finished. total time: 1.777s

C:\KFA>fastboot -i 0x1949 reboot
rebooting...

finished. total time: 0.002s

Says everything went fine, Still stuck in the same loop

mrkhigh

Dec 6, 2012
Google Pixel 2
Google Pixel 3
Can you access twrp now though?
When you start to boot does the kindle fire LOGO turn blue?

---------- Post added at 08:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 PM ----------

Try holding down the left volume button while the kindle fire logo is still orange.

NapalmDawn

Sep 3, 2010
Raleigh
Can you access twrp now though?
When you start to boot does the kindle fire LOGO turn blue?

---------- Post added at 08:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 PM ----------

Try holding down the left volume button while the kindle fire logo is still orange.

I tried and it seemed to ignore me doing that but I'll try again. And by left I take it you mean left when the Fire is held with the camera in the top position? (100% sure but double checking since it's at home). And sadly, no the blue color never came up. Just stuck in the standard orange boot loop.

mrkhigh

Dec 6, 2012
Google Pixel 2
Google Pixel 3
Put the volume keys upwards and it I'd the left one but if you are never turning blue then yeah we still have issues

It's actually really odd. I know there are a few people here who would understand what's going on but it's beyond me.

---------- Post added at 02:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:41 AM ----------

I wonder if the sd card is formatted in the wrong format

NapalmDawn

Sep 3, 2010
Raleigh
Put the volume keys upwards and it I'd the left one but if you are never turning blue then yeah we still have issues

It's actually really odd. I know there are a few people here who would understand what's going on but it's beyond me.

---------- Post added at 02:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:41 AM ----------

I wonder if the sd card is formatted in the wrong format

Yeah it's definitely not doing the whole boot into TWRP/go blue thing at all. It honestly seems like the onboard storage area has gotten really corrupted. I did have fastboot give me the device code and it certainly thinks it's the 7 inch version.

LinearEquation

Aug 26, 2013
Midwest
Yeah it's definitely not doing the whole boot into TWRP/go blue thing at all. It honestly seems like the onboard storage area has gotten really corrupted. I did have fastboot give me the device code and it certainly thinks it's the 7 inch version.

With camera facing up reboot, wait into you see yellow KFHD Los and hold the volume button up and hold it for a three count into the blue KFHD. the release and see if you boot into TWRP.

NapalmDawn

Sep 3, 2010
Raleigh
With camera facing up reboot, wait into you see yellow KFHD Los and hold the volume button up and hold it for a three count into the blue KFHD. the release and see if you boot into TWRP.

So if I'm holding it in landscape mode (long ways), the volume up button is the one on the left? If so, I've tried that. I can try again when I'm home but I'm pretty sure that's what I've been trying since it was suggested to do the secondary bootloader.

LinearEquation

Aug 26, 2013
Midwest
I tried and it seemed to ignore me doing that but I'll try again. And by left I take it you mean left when the Fire is held with the camera in the top position? (100% sure but double checking since it's at home). And sadly, no the blue color never came up. Just stuck in the standard orange boot loop.

I don't know how much plainer I can say it. There is only one way the camera faces up. The volume button would be on the right not left and you hold the volume button up not down. If you see the blue KFHD logo when turning the tablet on you should be angle to access.

NapalmDawn

Sep 3, 2010
Raleigh
I don't know how much plainer I can say it. There is only one way the camera faces up. The volume button would be on the right not left and you hold the volume button up not down. If you see the blue KFHD logo when turning the tablet on you should be angle to access.

Oh oh up. Okay I get it. Sorry with not having it in front of me, I wanted to make sure I got it all right for when I get home and try it. I hadn't ever seen somebody say to hold it "up" so I was a little thrown by that. I'll give it a try in several hours when I get it in front of me.

NapalmDawn

Sep 3, 2010
Raleigh
Neither vol up nor down is changing how this boots. I hit the power button and the white kindle, orange fire logo shows up. I immediately hold down a volume button. It just eventually goes to the animation version of the logo and never turns blue. If I power off and try the same thing with the other volume button, same thing.

LinearEquation

Aug 26, 2013
Midwest
Oh oh up. Okay I get it. Sorry with not having it in front of me, I wanted to make sure I got it all right for when I get home and try it. I hadn't ever seen somebody say to hold it "up" so I was a little thrown by that. I'll give it a try in several hours when I get it in front of me.

If it does not turn blue then you don't have TWRP installed at all.

NapalmDawn

Sep 3, 2010
Raleigh
Code:
C:\KFA>fastboot -i 0x1949 flash bootloader kfhd7-u-boot-prod-7.2.3.bin
sending 'bootloader' (221 KB)...
OKAY [  0.084s]
writing 'bootloader'...
OKAY [  0.045s]
finished. total time: 0.131s

C:\KFA>fastboot -i 0x1949 flash boot kfhd7-freedom-boot-7.4.3.img
sending 'boot' (8145 KB)...
OKAY [  2.846s]
writing 'boot'...
OKAY [  0.677s]
finished. total time: 3.526s

C:\KFA>fastboot -i 0x1949 flash recovery kfhd7-twrp-2.6.3.1-recovery.im
sending 'recovery' (4041 KB)...
OKAY [  1.418s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [  0.352s]
finished. total time: 1.777s

C:\KFA>fastboot -i 0x1949 reboot
rebooting...

finished. total time: 0.002s

Says everything went fine, Still stuck in the same loop

If it does not turn blue then you don't have TWRP installed at all.

I know. That's the problem LE. As you can see from above, it SHOULD be on there.

I will say this-I was never able to, since it came into my possession, initiate USB debugging because I was never able to boot the device. I don't think it's coming into play here since this is all fastboot stuff but thought it might be worth mentioning.

Last edited:

mrkhigh

Dec 6, 2012
Google Pixel 2
Google Pixel 3
I think your device is formatted in some wonky file system I don't know if the kindle runs fat32 our NTFS or what but that is my guess you might also find some one to tell you the position sizes

---------- Post added at 09:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 PM ----------

Partition sizes

south956

Sep 12, 2012
edinburg
I know. That's the problem LE. As you can see from above, it SHOULD be on there.

I will say this-I was never able to, since it came into my possession, initiate USB debugging because I was never able to boot the device. I don't think it's coming into play here since this is all fastboot stuff but thought it might be worth mentioning.

Did you use stack override?

edydu4ab.jpg

For your own custom Sig : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1922304

---------- Post added at 07:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:49 PM ----------

Yes. However, did you notice the errors in my code? It seems that the tool is unable to format the KD HD 7 for some reason. Do you think it's possible that once I'm in fastboot that I can issue a command via normal fastboot (from the command prompt) that will force the format?

My kindle gets the same error and im using it right now. Ive actually been getting that error for a good while and it started when i bricked my kindle bad, i got a "partitioning failing" screen.

NapalmDawn

Sep 3, 2010
Raleigh
Did you use stack override?

---------- Post added at 07:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:49 PM ----------

My kindle gets the same error and im using it right now. Ive actually been getting that error for a good while and it started when i bricked my kindle bad, i got a "partitioning failing" screen.

Not sure on that one about the stack override. Can you point me to where there's info on that for this device?