[Q] KVT49L LTE Network Weirdness

Search This thread

distortedloop

Feb 14, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Three-purpose post: ask for help, see if others have same problem, and warn others of potential problem with KVT49L.

Unrooted Nexus 7 LTE (2013) model that had worked flawlessly for 6 months on Verizon LTE network by using the SIM card from my Verizon Galaxy Nexus with unlimited data. No activation was required, I just put the SIM card in and it worked great.

I accepted the KVT49L update when it came out about two weeks ago and ever since then I've had really weird problems with LTE, and I'm a bit stumped what to try to fix it, short of a factory reset.

Symptoms: Despite having full bars and the LTE indicator, while driving using Waze navigation app, I'll start getting "no network connectivity" complaints from Waze. To make sure it wasn't a Waze issue, I'd open Chrome and try searching for something, which resulted in no response, indicating the N7 wasn't getting any network connectivity.
Just to make sure, I opened apps like Amazon store app, and strangely, it works: searching for stuff I've never searched (to eliminate caching), I'd get results.
Cycle mobile data, it works again for a while, then same thing.
To see if it was just the N7 apps, or the network itself, I used FoxFi to tether my HTC One to the N7, then ran Waze and Chrome tests mentioned above, and sure enough, same problems.

EDIT: forgot to mention that my Verizon Droid Maxx, side-by-side with the N7 also running Waze/Chrome tests has zero issues with network connectivity. When the N7 acts up, the Maxx works perfectly, so it doesn't appear to be an issue with Verizon's towers in the areas this happens.

Reboots, cycling mobile data don't fix it for any length of time.

Anyone else have similar problems?

Does this sound like a software issue with the update?

Could the update have allowed Verizon to screw with me because it's a phone SIM? Why would they care?

Any suggestions for additional troubleshooting or things to try fixing. I suppose a factory reset is in order, but always hesitant to take that step.

Last edited: