Rooted my Stock Gingerbread 2.3.5!

Search This thread

laughingT

Oct 30, 2011
Oakland, CA
Google Pixel 6a
I see the device com port going yellow in odin when captivate is not in download mode. Once I get the device in download mode (i.e., power + volume down button) have waited for 30+ minutes the odin does not recognize the device. Once booted immediately I see the com port going yellow.

How do I root the device.

appreciate you response,

I assume you are starting with captivate off, then pressing and holding both the vol up and down buttons then connecting usb to start download mode.

If odin still doesnt see it, check your drivers, and also try another usb port.

Sent via XDA from Captivate GB I897.UCKK4 rooted

capocaccia

Mar 16, 2011
Oxford
You don't. You flash a kernel with cwm in it. Read up there are stickies at the top for this.

Sent from my Samsung Captivate running Team ICSSGS 4.0.3

zerenia

Jan 30, 2007
Lake Worth, FL
It worked - twice!

Froggy3hope - thanks for the post, it worked perfectly on two of my Cappys. Had to get root to get rid of the dreaded "Tethering Manager" FC, and was able to install App Quarantine and freeze Tethering Manager.

I don't see any "Thanks" button, so I'm posting this note of thanks!

-Z

Jose0726

Dec 30, 2011
P.R
Thanks alot i manage to update root and unlock network with this :D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

columbiad

Oct 7, 2010
noob in need of assistance

I am coming from stock Froyo on AT&T. I was able successfully flash both .tar files. However, when the phone reboots, after the AT&T screen comes up, the screen turns into pixelated color bars. It seems to go into a bootloop, going between the AT&T screen and the color bars. What have I done wrong and what can I do to repair my issue? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

laughingT

Oct 30, 2011
Oakland, CA
Google Pixel 6a
I am coming from stock Froyo on AT&T. I was able successfully flash both .tar files. However, when the phone reboots, after the AT&T screen comes up, the screen turns into pixelated color bars. It seems to go into a bootloop, going between the AT&T screen and the color bars. What have I done wrong and what can I do to repair my issue? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Mine went into a bootloop the first time I flashed per OP.

Reflash the rom, starting with first step. Should fix it.

columbiad

Oct 7, 2010
Mine went into a bootloop the first time I flashed per OP.

Reflash the rom, starting with first step. Should fix it.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have reflashed several times, all without success. At anytime during the process, should I be doing a battery pull or power cycle?

laughingT

Oct 30, 2011
Oakland, CA
Google Pixel 6a
couple of ideas-

Redownload sources.
Use a different usb port.

Remove the sim and sd card before you flash.

Per op, you should shut down after the first flash finishes booting.

With phone off, put it in download mode by holding both up and down volume buttons while attaching usb cable. you should see the download mode display on the phone.
Then flash kk kernal with odin.

Last edited:

columbiad

Oct 7, 2010
couple of ideas-

Redownload sources.
Use a different usb port.

Remove the sim and sd card before you flash.

Per op, you should shut down after the first flash finishes booting.

With phone off, put it in download mode by holding both up and down volume buttons while attaching usb cable. you should see the download mode display on the phone.
Then flash kk kernal with odin.

Thanks again. I have tried all that you have suggested and still no luck. I appreciate your time and effort.

aragorn7

Apr 18, 2012
I am posting to say that I just successfully rooted my Captivate....

KK4 Kernel
Gingerbread 2.3.5 (Now rooted!)

As you can see I'm super excited and this is why!

Thanks to this forum! Flashing AT&T Stock Gingerbread; now KK4, Gingerbread 2.3.5
And to nakedninja42 !

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE TO WHATEVER HAPPENS TO YOUR PHONE.
HOWEVER, THIS WORKED LIKE A CHARM ON MINE!

So first I ....
Updated via Kies....First to Eclair then to Froyo bc I was coming from a custom.
Begin by putting it in Download mode!!!!!

1: Flash I897UCKF1-AutoRoot-DesignGears.tar for root with Odin by Placing it in the PDA slot
CLICK START.
2: Boot once, (it will install root) then shut down.
3: Download mode again!
4: Reflash the original KK4 kernel by placing it in the PDA slot in ODIN (If you do not change the kernel back to KK4 after root, you could have wifi issues)
CLICK START.
vvvvvvvvvvvv THE REST ARE nakedninja42's INSTRUCTIONS vvvvvvvvvvvvvv
5:Settings>Applications> enable Unknown Sources

7:You can also Update Superuser from market (may be updated already) https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result

8: Install busybox from market

you and nakedninja42 just made my day. Thanks!!

inshakhan

Dec 12, 2010
Well, I've rooted my phone before (and my Nook) but I've never flashed before. So I had to do A LOT of reading to figure that part out, since the step-by-step for that is not here. But ... once I found the thread that does have the step-by-step on flashing - this rooting method worked 100% the first time! Thank you so much! My Gingerbread is now rooted!!

- Insha

wearifulcurve

May 20, 2012
Even a Blind Squirrel.

Thanks for the post. I rooted Gingerbread 2.3.5 and lost wifi. Took a bit of searching until coming across an explanation/solution that I could understand and follow. Great translation. Didn't want to go back to an earlier version. Working like a charm now.

joeylproctor

May 22, 2012
Rooted..sorta

Rooted using your steps G, got a pass in Odin. I have some root options like app mgr and allow unknown sources, but LBE privacy, superuser and busybox won't open, giving me a message that my phone isn't rooted. What gives? I've flashed the kernel at least a dozen times successfully and still having this problem. :mad:

4-2ndtwin

Dec 18, 2010
^
If u r on the Stock GB i897ucKK4, just Odin flash the .tar KK4 Corn Kernel version 7.0A by mtcarey (see the Development Forum) and button combo into the CWM Recovery and obtain Root through the option that is in there. And just keep that kernel. No need to flash back the Stock kk4 kernel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using xda premium

Reactions: Tabaqui

Red_81

Dec 5, 2010
St.Louis Metro
^
If u r on the Stock GB i897ucKK4, just Odin flash the .tar KK4 Corn Kernel version 7.0A by mtcarey (see the Development Forum) and button combo into the CWM Recovery and obtain Root through the option that is in there. And just keep that kernel. No need to flash back the Stock kk4 kernel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using xda premium

Here is the batch file utility I wrote to help with this process..

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1680048

Reactions: 4-2ndtwin

poppo101

Apr 20, 2012
Mifflinburg, PA
No data connection after root

I pulled the SIM card and SD card from my phone and rooted my Captivate I897 using the method described in the original post -

1: Flash I897UCKF1-AutoRoot-DesignGears.tar for root with Odin by Placing it in the PDA slot
CLICK START.
4: Reflash the original KK4 kernel by placing it in the PDA slot in ODIN (If you do not change the kernel back to KK4 after root, you could have wifi issues)
CLICK START.

All went well with the root process. I flashed both tar files. The problem is, I have no data connection since rooting the phone. I have wifi and phone but no data. I had data prior to rooting the phone.

Phone info -

Samsung-SGH-I897
Firmware - 2.3.5
Baseband - I897UCKK4
Kernal - 2.6.35.7-I897UCKK4-CL614489
Build - Gingerbread.UCKK4

The strange thing is, if I go into the default network setup and switch to manual, I see my regional carrier along with T-Mobile and AT&T. If I pick my carrier it tells me that I am registered on the network. The same goes for T-Mobile. If I try to connect to AT&T I get - Your SIM card does not allow a connection to this network - which is what I have always gotten with AT&T. I have even recreated the APN for my carrier. I have pulled the SIM card, rebooted, powered off, installed the SIM card and rebooted. The data icon does show up briefly during boot up and then disappears.

Do I need to flash back to stock and try rooting again or is there something I can do to avoid flashing back to stock?

Thanks

Bill

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I am posting to say that I just successfully rooted my Captivate....

KK4 Kernel
    Gingerbread 2.3.5 (Now rooted!)

As you can see I'm super excited and this is why!

Thanks to this forum! Flashing AT&T Stock Gingerbread; now KK4, Gingerbread 2.3.5
    And to nakedninja42 !

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE TO WHATEVER HAPPENS TO YOUR PHONE.
    HOWEVER, THIS WORKED LIKE A CHARM ON MINE!

So first I ....
    Updated via Kies....First to Eclair then to Froyo bc I was coming from a custom.
    Begin by putting it in Download mode!!!!!

CLICK START.
    CLICK START.
    vvvvvvvvvvvv THE REST ARE nakedninja42's INSTRUCTIONS vvvvvvvvvvvvvv
    5:Settings>Applications> enable Unknown Sources

7:You can also Update Superuser from market (may be updated already) https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result

8: Install busybox from market
    I just read the other forum saying that the kernel build date is different than the leak. I had not seen that previous to our conversation. The tar for the stock KK4 I provided is from the leak update. I am still working on decrypting the kies update I obtained from the Samsung server. Glad its working, let us know if you experience any weird issues.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using xda premium
    I have a AT&T captivate that i just upgraded to gingerbread 2.3.5,
    with a KK4 Kernel.
    I want to get 3 things on it,Root access+Speedmod+Slim Bean ROM.Could anyone give me a link for where i can find it or just give me the simplest steps to get it done.
    P.S i don't want to get unrooted in case you suggest busybox.
    Thanks

Corn kernel is what you'll want to flash, (not speedmod), using Odin 1.85.

From there, simply flash Slim Bean twice as it needs to rebuild the partition and you're set. As for the instructions, they're in the ROM's thread OP. Also, there are quite a few stickies you should read before jumping into this!
    I am new to Smartphone technology, this is my first smartphone. Sorry for dumb question. I understand that first tar file is for rooting. What is the use of second tar file again.

Please help me understand.

Thanks

The second is putting stock kernel after rooting. Can't use the root kernel since its a different build and will cause issues. That's why you only boot once then shut down and flash the second.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using xda premium
    There's a superuser update fixer in the play store....free.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium