[Q] Ipush

Search This thread

markeymark

Dec 10, 2009
Just bought one, totally unimpressed with it, tried to airplay from ipad on ios7, just get audio

Try it on my galaxy note 3, won't play showbox through it

Anyone else bought one?

DarrenHill

Feb 22, 2014
Just bought one, totally unimpressed with it, tried to airplay from ipad on ios7, just get audio

Try it on my galaxy note 3, won't play showbox through it

Anyone else bought one?

I just got one last week, and am a little more impressed with it than you are. Tried it last night with my Nexus7 (2012), and had it quite happily streaming a movie onto the TV via both its own iPush app and also various DLNA apps (Skifka, MediaHouse etc). Setting it up was reasonably easy compared to some reports I've read online about it, although the interface was a little clunky and took a while. Plus of course the written documentation shipped with the device is awful, although ironically the on-screen stuff that the iPush actually displays on the TV when you connect it is much clearer.

So far I only see a couple of negatives. The biggest one is that its built-in WiFi hotspot seems to have a fixed password and always be broadcast (even when it's connected to another device/router), which I would say is a fairly major security hole as it could let someone into the network as a back door. Secondly when I tried it with my HTX 8X (WinPhone 8) it was visible as a renderer to MyMediaHub when the phone was connected directly to the iPush's hotspot, but it didn't seem to pick it up when connected via another hotspot (my Ravpower WD-01 filehub) even though my N7 happily did so in the same scenario. But that second one could just as easily be a glitch with the HTC.

But I have read elsewhere of several people having issues with iOS and Airplay, which I think were also mentioned in the Amazon sales blurb when I got mine (being on Android I didn't take too much notice as it doesn't apply to me). Basically that there wasn't video support for Airplay due to license/copyright issues or something, but beyond that maybe a little Google-Fu could turn something up?

Anyway there seem to be a few firmware updates around which may (I hope) address the wifi password concern. But that's tonight's little project.