[Q] - CM11 TWRP 2.6.3.0 - Can't Flash Gapps

Search This thread

kronikbudz

Nov 30, 2010
I'm having the strangest problem with Gapps not appearing in CM11. I'm unlocked, S-OFF, TWRP installed via fastboot flash. CM11 (4.28) boots fine, runs, I have data, however when I try to flash gapps in TWRP, I get a successful message, and then when I reboot.... no gapps in the App drawer.

I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Help! Thanks in advance.

zachf714

Jun 4, 2012
Mooresville
I'm having the strangest problem with Gapps not appearing in CM11. I'm unlocked, S-OFF, TWRP installed via fastboot flash. CM11 (4.28) boots fine, runs, I have data, however when I try to flash gapps in TWRP, I get a successful message, and then when I reboot.... no gapps in the App drawer.

I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Help! Thanks in advance.

you have to flash the gapps in the OP or the system fills and there will not be any of the "GAPPS" also the core gapps package is only the needed files for google play because that is what fits on /system, I could put the other stuff in /data but its a waste because you can get the apps from google play

kronikbudz

Nov 30, 2010
you have to flash the gapps in the OP or the system fills and there will not be any of the "GAPPS" also the core gapps package is only the needed files for google play because that is what fits on /system, I could put the other stuff in /data but its a waste because you can get the apps from google play

Thanks for the response! I am downloading the CORE Gapps (16.1MB) 1-16_GApps_Core_4.4.2_signed

Is that the wrong one?

One other strange thing is when I flash them, TWRP says it's flashed successfully, and when the phone boots I see the "Updating x of 65" and finishes boot....

.... but then no apps!

zachf714

Jun 4, 2012
Mooresville
Thanks for the response! I am downloading the CORE Gapps (16.1MB) 1-16_GApps_Core_4.4.2_signed

Is that the wrong one?

One other strange thing is when I flash them, TWRP says it's flashed successfully, and when the phone boots I see the "Updating x of 65" and finishes boot....

.... but then no apps!

Do a factory reset.....

Also it is only the playstore that is included in that zip .. The play store + the frameworks libs required to make it function

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

triazo

Jun 22, 2014
Been having the same problem. I did some investigating, and here are some observations:

• The particular ROM I flashed (given the timing, probably the same one you did) took up ~240 MB in the /system partition, which was ~250 MB large, leaving 10MB remaining.
  • The Gapps I attempted to flash was ~15 MB, meaning that it diddn't fit. However this did not throw an error, but reported a successful completion.

Given the above, I flashed CM11, then deleted some of the larger things that diddn't look importiant. (Turns out it was emoji icons and the keyboard). This actually worked, since there was now enough space in the /system partition for gapps to copy everything over. Unfortunately, there was no keyboard.

Simply put, /system isn't large enough. My question now is if its possible to combine /system and /datadata (or whatever's using mtdblk6, seems to be ~150 MB), then move /datadata to the internal sd card, where there's lots of free space.

I'm still too new to androind stuff to know how to apprach this, but I come from a linux background so even just a pointer to the right direction would be helpful.

tiny4579

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 15, 2011
Not sure if mtdblk can be repartitioned but it's worth a shot on my Inc since I won't worry much if I brick it. I think partitioning that would make sense. I know there's mtdblk4 and mtdblk5 that'd have to be deleted in order to make mtdblk3 larger. 5 is cache but I think the cache in mmcblk0 is used instead. Not sure what 4 is for.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

zachf714

Jun 4, 2012
Mooresville
Not sure if mtdblk can be repartitioned but it's worth a shot on my Inc since I won't worry much if I brick it. I think partitioning that would make sense. I know there's mtdblk4 and mtdblk5 that'd have to be deleted in order to make mtdblk3 larger. 5 is cache but I think the cache in mmcblk0 is used instead. Not sure what 4 is for.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

Go for it, would mean cm and Aokp would be possible again. With the new theme provider changes it is just not possible at the moment

tiny4579

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 15, 2011
Go for it, would mean cm and Aokp would be possible again. With the new theme provider changes it is just not possible at the moment

Unfortunately I don't know if that will happen. The resizing of mtd partitions isn't as simple as resizing mmc. So we probably will be stuck as is unless we resize and repurpose the emmc partition. I think I started a project to do just that.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

zachf714

Jun 4, 2012
Mooresville
Unfortunately I don't know if that will happen. The resizing of mtd partitions isn't as simple as resizing mmc. So we probably will be stuck as is unless we resize and repurpose the emmc partition. I think I started a project to do just that.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

If we can resize emmc Inc will live until 5.0 drops, but I think that is where it will end. I have a 4690k coming that was pre-ordered so builds will be faster therefore faster tests.