[Q] Lumia 521 Update?

Search This thread

slyr114

Oct 9, 2011
Cleveland
So I read that the Lumia Black update is out now and other 520/521 based phones have it, at least on ATT. Is there anyway to download the update and manually flash it to the phone? If they are not releasing this update for our phones, I fear they will never release the 8.1 update either when it comes out :( Also does anyone else have issues transfering files from their pc to their phone? It takes an extremely long time, slow phone write speed I assume, and half the time it times out altogether. I am running Windows 8.1 and have a good computer so I know its not on that end.

Last edited:

DaviUnic

May 12, 2011
So I read that the Lumia Black update is out now and other 520/521 based phones have it, at least on ATT. Is there anyway to download the update and manually flash it to the phone? If they are not releasing this update for our phones, I fear they will never release the 8.1 update either when it comes out :( Also does anyone else have issues transfering files from their pc to their phone? It takes an extremely long time, slow phone write speed I assume, and half the time it times out altogether. I am running Windows 8.1 and have a good computer so I know its not on that end.

If you can't get it OTA, use NCS to check, download and flash new firmware (if it's available). Guide for that is somewhere on this forum, search for it.

I'm assuming you're talking about USB transfer? Try a different cable and port, though any USB 3.0 ports you may have shouldn't make any difference because the phone still uses 2.0.

slyr114

Oct 9, 2011
Cleveland
If you can't get it OTA, use NCS to check, download and flash new firmware (if it's available). Guide for that is somewhere on this forum, search for it.

I'm assuming you're talking about USB transfer? Try a different cable and port, though any USB 3.0 ports you may have shouldn't make any difference because the phone still uses 2.0.

Thanks for the reply, Ya i checked for updates using the software and it is sadly still not available yet I guess. As for the cable thing, I tried with multiple cables in multiple ports on multiple computers, my 521 just takes forever to transfer via usb, its bad I actually have to take out my sd card and use a card reader if I want to transfer something fast or even at a normal pace. Many times the file copy will get hung up during the transfer and the only way to cancel it is to unplug the phone from the computer mid transfer. Is my 521 defective or do they all have terrible write speeds?

DaviUnic

May 12, 2011
Thanks for the reply, Ya i checked for updates using the software and it is sadly still not available yet I guess. As for the cable thing, I tried with multiple cables in multiple ports on multiple computers, my 521 just takes forever to transfer via usb, its bad I actually have to take out my sd card and use a card reader if I want to transfer something fast or even at a normal pace. Many times the file copy will get hung up during the transfer and the only way to cancel it is to unplug the phone from the computer mid transfer. Is my 521 defective or do they all have terrible write speeds?

More than likely it's a bad unit...

A

aclegg2011

I've had gdr3 for a while, but no black. By the time black comes out 8.1 will probably be released via developers program. I'm thinking black will be released this month though for 521. Kind of weird the best selling Nokia phones are getting black so late. That's T-Mobile for you.

Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using XDA Windows Phone 7 App

xandros9

Aug 29, 2011
I've had gdr3 for a while, but no black. By the time black comes out 8.1 will probably be released via developers program. I'm thinking black will be released this month though for 521. Kind of weird the best selling Nokia phones are getting black so late. That's T-Mobile for you.

Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using XDA Windows Phone 7 App

but then again they are the lowest-end models.

If you stick to the Preview for Developer's program, you should get Update 3 (previously GDR3) and 8.1 in the future.
As for Nokia firmware like Black and Amber, they are mostly independent of MS's updates.