Is there a genuine fault with early HTC Diamonds and battery?

Search This thread

darthbane2k

Jul 6, 2007
Im thinking this because many people who were early adopters with the UK/Euro HTC Diamonds are frustrated with a battery that lasts little more than 12 hours, some people (if they dont push email) a day. Others, particularly those who had the later Diamonds (inc the operator branded ones) are reporting 1.5 - 2 days of usage.

If this is a real problem the HTC should have a recall on their hands. Im hesitant to send mine back (First UK batch) though, even though mine lasts little more than 10-12 hours while pushing email.

What do people think the faults are, the hardware, the ROM or the battery itself?

RuanE

Nov 20, 2007
My Touch Diamond lasts for barely a day, which is amazingly irritating, I've heard most people go on about them getting 2 days, which is what I would have expected considering my old HTC Wizard could get 3 days if you pushed it.

emilceteras

Feb 10, 2008
Alba Iulia
I have a strange battery- li-ion polymer - is there any issue with that? I had a Diamond from first generation , I bought another one , I sold the first but I kept first battery (li-ion polymer). The second one had li-ion battery.

964rs777

Jul 19, 2008
i think it is down to how you use the phone.
i can get 3 days easy if i dont use it alot but i can
also kill it in a day sometimes if im busy.;)

murks_muell

Nov 7, 2007
I think it's all about a one-time calibration. Many notice an increase in lifetime of a battery charge after some use. I made the same observation.
Since I installed a new Hard-SPL, a new radio and a new ROM the battery meter falls rapidly with even the smallest use. I think (hope) that once I discharge the battery nearly to 0% the meter knows how much charge the battery really can hold.
I read somewhere that it's quite impossible to determine the exact charge level of a Li-Ion battery if it's constantly charged und discharged a bit as measurement gets off more and more with each incident.

murklor

Aug 18, 2008
I read somewhere that it's quite impossible to determine the exact charge level of a Li-Ion battery if it's constantly charged und discharged a bit as measurement gets off more and more with each incident.
No doubt... Yesterday I ran down a portable PC battery from 100% (think it was about 1.5 hours of use). At 0% it kept going for 30 minutes (!!!) before starting to flicker and shut down.

kolbac

Feb 6, 2005
Im thinking this because many people who were early adopters with the UK/Euro HTC Diamonds are frustrated with a battery that lasts little more than 12 hours, some people (if they dont push email) a day. Others, particularly those who had the later Diamonds (inc the operator branded ones) are reporting 1.5 - 2 days of usage.

If this is a real problem the HTC should have a recall on their hands. Im hesitant to send mine back (First UK batch) though, even though mine lasts little more than 10-12 hours while pushing email.

What do people think the faults are, the hardware, the ROM or the battery itself?

i sent my diamond to the repair center because my battery last only 10 hour without using the phone....in Idle mode, with only the phone on, bt,gps,wifi off.
I hope htc recognize some hardware fault....
the repair center is slow.....about 1 month of waiting..:(

Addicteddddd

Aug 23, 2008
I think the battery just generally sucks, mine isn't a first batch i don't think (purchased + recieved on T-mobile (MDA Compact IV) a week ago) and i still get poor battery life!

iceblade997

Mar 10, 2007
got mine yesterday, and yeah, the battery is horrible

i hope it will improve with a bit of time... i'm still going to add tweaks, and probably flash it too

JanDaMan

Jun 17, 2008
London
got mine yesterday, and yeah, the battery is horrible

i hope it will improve with a bit of time... i'm still going to add tweaks, and probably flash it too

well the newer ROM's are generally much better than the older ones, so if your diamond shipped with an old ROM you may see a considerable improvement.

laser21

Jul 10, 2008
kolbac Im waiting for your response considering you are the first one, who actually send the phone back. Im also considering this. Im havin 10-12 hours standby aswell. First EU batch. bought in june.

rondol1

Dec 1, 2006
Hoofdorp
I did send my Diamond back, although for another matter but battery-live was poor too. The new one I recieved back is what I expected in the first place: stable operation and a battery-live of at least two days, most of the time even longer.

kolbac

Feb 6, 2005
kolbac Im waiting for your response considering you are the first one, who actually send the phone back. Im also considering this. Im havin 10-12 hours standby aswell. First EU batch. bought in june.

Hi, don't know if in your country take the diamond to a repair center is fast and simple.
Here in italy is a pain in the a**.
There is only one authorized center in all the country and that is in milan, and you have 2 choices:
ship by yourself the phone to the "contact center in milan" or take the phone to a repair center near you and then they have to ship to milan.
So u spend alot of time in this chains and you don't have a direct contact with the technicians.
plus now there was the summer holidays so the workflow is slow.
For sure with only 10-12 hour of standby the diamond isn't usable for me so in my opinion you should take it to a repair center.
bye