[MOD by APP] Nebtop - Universal HDMI Webtop hack

Search This thread

Jun 23, 2010
sites.google.com
This MOD by APP is different than the existing MOD by replacing system apks:

1. No risk of brick
2. Ease of use
3. Universal hack for phones and ROMs that has Webtop

Since this app is intended to support multiple devices, see the original post from the Razr thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1404625 .

Please report the test result in this thread. Whether success or fail and your device, ROM, etc.

It'd be nice to use the "Send" option in the app if it failed.

Thanks!

Jimmy273

Jan 22, 2011
I think fantasy_gu is saying that he would love to try this but his phone is already softbricked from a previous issue

Preggy

Got myself an HDMI cable today finally :)

I installed the mod on my Stock-rooted Atrix 2 and I can confirm it is working :D
The only thing I missed was the by the Webtop-help advertised "Entertainment Center" :( (This would probably be the more useful feature for me personally ;))

regards
Preggy

Last edited:

holeshot77

Jul 11, 2008
Grimes, IA
i get a screen pop up but doesn't say webtop. Just says view calendar agenda or dismiss option. Not sure what to do. I want the same thing i can do to TV on my laptop.

Sent from my MB865 using xda premium

mlo0352

Feb 3, 2010
As a person who has used this!!!

Just a word of warning:

This app totally screwed up my phone. I installed it and was using it just fine for a couple of hours. Then all of a sudden, the phone becomes unresponsive. I unplugged the HDMI cable, and it rebooted. I didn't think anything of this. Just found it a little odd. Since then, any time I reboot the phone, it is reverted to the same state it was in right before the crash. The text message I had not yet read is re-received as new. All app updates are reverted. All new apps aren't installed. All new texts (since then) are gone. Apps are force-closing left and right. Be VERY careful with this app. I'm not sure it's really ready for prime-time, even now.

Jun 23, 2010
sites.google.com
I know that you've experienced this a few days ago from my routine Googling but didn't know you haven't find a way back yet. :(

As from your original post, you were using Webtop at that moment and all in a sudden with the HDMI cable unplugged, then the phone rebooted.

At least a panic log is needed to verify whether this is related to Nebtop, or the stock ROM+Webtop.

As Nebtop has no listening of the HDMI cable plugging/unplugging event, it should had done nothing at that moment.

And your current state sounds like the file system is corrupted. If I have no way to fix this, I would try to backup the current state first, then try to revert to the stock. (not sure if Atrix 2 has any stock image leaked :confused:)

Finally, I'd like to help to identify the actual cause of the reboot, only if you could look up the kernel panic log at this location /data/dontpanic/apanic_console (this is the path for one of the Motorola phone, it could be changed for Atrix 2).

Just a word of warning:

This app totally screwed up my phone. I installed it and was using it just fine for a couple of hours. Then all of a sudden, the phone becomes unresponsive. I unplugged the HDMI cable, and it rebooted. I didn't think anything of this. Just found it a little odd. Since then, any time I reboot the phone, it is reverted to the same state it was in right before the crash. The text message I had not yet read is re-received as new. All app updates are reverted. All new apps aren't installed. All new texts (since then) are gone. Apps are force-closing left and right. Be VERY careful with this app. I'm not sure it's really ready for prime-time, even now.

dudemaaan

Mar 30, 2008
Brenham, TX
I already have the webtop mod posted by Fenny, what is the difference with this one? Does this one work through a runtime + mirror? It allows on screen touch and keyboad?

Jun 23, 2010
sites.google.com
The feature of Nebtop is pretending the HD Dock.

The requirement to use Nebtop is a rooted phone.

The disadvantage of Nebtop is none so far, therefore the advantages are no persistence change, no intrusive modification to anything, no risk of brick.

Yes, like using the HD Dock, the on screen touch and keyboard is working by using Nebtop.

I already have the webtop mod posted by Fenny, what is the difference with this one? Does this one work through a runtime + mirror? It allows on screen touch and keyboad?

dudemaaan

Mar 30, 2008
Brenham, TX
Can I install nebtop over my existing hack by fenny? I have no onscreen touchscreen or mouse control with the fenny hack. Also I can't seem to find the xorg.conf file anywhere, I'm on the supercharged v5 rom. Based on 2.3.6

dudemaaan

Mar 30, 2008
Brenham, TX
well i installed nebtop on v5 supercharged rom and its working fine, replying now from nebtop using the on screen keyboard and mouse. only thing i notice is i cant use the mobile apps from nebtop, probably because the keyboard is using the screen. atrix 2

Jun 23, 2010
sites.google.com
I'm not sure what do you mean by "cant use the mobile apps from nebtop".

Do you mean from Webtop? Have you watched the video I've made? Maybe I can imagine better if you would tell the difference(not can vs can't but some concrete examples....like when clicking on the "Phone Manager", there is no response....or the "Phone Manager" window is blank...etc) you see.

well i installed nebtop on v5 supercharged rom and its working fine, replying now from nebtop using the on screen keyboard and mouse. only thing i notice is i cant use the mobile apps from nebtop, probably because the keyboard is using the screen. atrix 2

dudemaaan

Mar 30, 2008
Brenham, TX
I'm not sure what do you mean by "cant use the mobile apps from nebtop".

Do you mean from Webtop? Have you watched the video I've made? Maybe I can imagine better if you would tell the difference(not can vs can't but some concrete examples....like when clicking on the "Phone Manager", there is no response....or the "Phone Manager" window is blank...etc) you see.

Phone manager was blank in webtop. I could see the tabs such as text messaging and adw launcher but no display. This was happening both when launching via nebtop and also via fenny hack. I did a phone restart and the problem went away so everything works perfect now.

The only other thing I noticed is the phone seemed to get extra hot, though the phone seems to run a bit on the hot side anyway so its probably normal.

One difference that I notice between fenny and nebtop is nebtop says connected to HD display and fenny hack says connected to HDMI cable. This is probably why the trackpad and mouse work in nebtop and not with the fenny hack.

Last edited:

holeshot77

Jul 11, 2008
Grimes, IA
Yeah, this and nebtop don't work for me. Nothing pops up so I can view my phone on my HP laptop. I did the adb push and stuff. No go. I don't get the option for Webtop.

At least, this is my understanding of this? To use it on your laptop without a dock-right?

jimbridgman

Dec 21, 2007
Dallas, TX
Yeah, this and nebtop don't work for me. Nothing pops up so I can view my phone on my HP laptop. I did the adb push and stuff. No go. I don't get the option for Webtop.

At least, this is my understanding of this? To use it on your laptop without a dock-right?

Nope, this is so that you can connect your phone to say a monitor or TV with an HDMI cable and use the phone to control webtop.

Reactions: holeshot77

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This MOD by APP is different than the existing MOD by replacing system apks:

1. No risk of brick
    2. Ease of use
    3. Universal hack for phones and ROMs that has Webtop

Since this app is intended to support multiple devices, see the original post from the Razr thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1404625 .

Please report the test result in this thread. Whether success or fail and your device, ROM, etc.

It'd be nice to use the "Send" option in the app if it failed.

Thanks!

Nope, this is so that you can connect your phone to say a monitor or TV with an HDMI cable and use the phone to control webtop.