How to Enable Native Visual Voicemail HTC One M8

Search This thread

lessthanzach

May 23, 2008
Redding, CA
I can't seem to get the apps to install. Every time I tap on the icon after extracting them, it tells me "App Not Installed". I did however copy the apps to /system/priv-app and change the permissions to rw-r-r. Upon rebooting, there is some progress. I can now click the voicemail button in the upper-right corner of the phone app and it attempts to open voicemail - before it would do nothing. However, it immediately force closes. Same goes for trying to access voicemail through messages app. Also, this may be the reason for not being able to "install" the apks, I can't see where to "mount system folder with read/write permissions." I don't have any such option in es explorer or root browser. I can however change the properties of the folder and edit the permissions to rwx-rwx-rwx which I tried and still was not able to install the apps. Any hints for me?

EDIT: I somehow got it working. After moving the apps to priv-app and fixing perms, I rebooted, navigated to /system/app and found htc.vvm or similar and clicked on it, it actually installed. As soon as I did that, my visual voicemail would work without force closing.
Another development maybe someone else can test: Under /system/customize/ACC/default.xml I found a string called : enable_voicemail that was set to false. I changed it to "true" and my voicemails are downloading over Wi-Fi without error. This could be a fluke so I'd like it if someone would test and report here. Thanks for this thread, OP, I REALLY need my voicemail to work correctly during my job hunt.

Last edited:

JTok59

Sep 14, 2013
Chicago
EDIT: I somehow got it working. After moving the apps to priv-app and fixing perms, I rebooted, navigated to /system/app and found htc.vvm or similar and clicked on it, it actually installed. As soon as I did that, my visual voicemail would work without force closing.
Another development maybe someone else can test: Under /system/customize/ACC/default.xml I found a string called : enable_voicemail that was set to false. I changed it to "true" and my voicemails are downloading over Wi-Fi without error. This could be a fluke so I'd like it if someone would test and report here. Thanks for this thread, OP, I REALLY need my voicemail to work correctly during my job hunt.

That's peculiar, the stock AT&T default.xml appears to have that set to false. However, I will attempt to confirm this solution and get back to everyone.

TrickMasterPC

Apr 29, 2014
<item type="boolean" name="enable_voicemail">true</item>

I tried this, but I'm still not able to download voicemails on a Wifi Connection. I receive the standard error message.

If you install the Android Revolution HD 5.5 ROM you will not be able to reinstall Visual Voicemail (I tried for a few hours). mike1986 make some pretty heavy modifications on the 5.5 ROM which make it impossible to enable Visual Voicemail. Stick with the ARHD 5.0 ROM. He offers the Harmon Kardon firmware/software flash package and you can sideload some of the other enhancements. The Sense 6.1 Toolbox can be downloaded through the Xposed App.

If anyone is running the 5.5 ROM with native visual voicemail enabled please let us know how you achieved this.

krazyace35

Mar 11, 2012
I'm using the standalone at&t vvm app and it works with wifi I didn't have to change anything to default.xml

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

is350

Apr 30, 2012
I can't get this to work. I followed all the directions. Only the Visual Voicemail app had the option to integrate into ROM. I'm on ARHD 7.0.

Last edited:

Skizzy034

Mar 10, 2010
Amsterdam, NY
www.facebook.com
If your phone is rooted with a custom ROM such as the Android Revolution HD by mike1986 and your visual voicemail is missing, corrupt or broken, I will teach you how to reinstall it! Note, this has only been tested on the AT&T variant of the HTC One M8. So it turns out that your Voicemails won't download when you're connected to a Wifi Network. The app seems to default it's connectivity to Wifi when both a Wifi and Mobile Data Connection are available. As soon as you move away from your wifi connection or disconnect, your voicemails will immediately download. We need a hard-core developer to debug this. It's a function of what connection Visual Voicemail should default to when checking for voicemails, and that connection should probably be cellular data.

If you're an advanced user you can use the Android SDK, Cygwin and Kitchen to modify the ROM and include the following APKs:
- Phone.apk (replacement rom, newer version)
- ATT_VVM3.apk (new rom)
- HtcContacts.apk (replacement rom, newer version)
- HtcDialer (replacement rom, newer version)
- Message (replacement rom, newer version)

There are many tutorials on this site that explain how to modify and repackage a ROM.

If you want to keep it simple here's the process.
  1. Acquire the apps listed above. Visit my website to download the APKs, just Google Trick Master PC, or you can pull them from your Stock ROM under /system/apps and/or /system/priv-app
  2. Drop the apps on your Internal or External SD Card
  3. Use ES File Explorer to Mount the system directory with Read/Write Permissions
  4. Use ES File Explorer to Install the APKs from your SD location
  5. Use Titanium Back-up Pro (yes, you have to pay for it). Browse the list of applications and find the apps you installed, long press the app and select "Convert to system app", if you have the option to integrate into ROM select that as well.
  6. Restart the phone and set-up your native visual voicemail functionality. This process restores full functionality with zero glitches.

Why not just replace them using 7zip before you flash the rom if your planning on doing a clean flash? It's a lot easier than those 3 programs/methods. It's just drag and drop.

Sent from my VK810 4G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

TrickMasterPC

Apr 29, 2014
Why not just replace them using 7zip before you flash the rom if your planning on doing a clean flash? It's a lot easier than those 3 programs/methods. It's just drag and drop.

Have you successfully done this?
What version of the Android Revolution HD Rom did you use? The latest version 7?
Did you slip-mod the apks using 7zip on a Windows Machine or a Linux Machine?

Thanks! I want to update the ARHD v7 ROM but I want to be sure I can get visual voicemail working on that ROM.

Last edited:

lstubble44

Apr 23, 2008
Failed

I tried this and it broke messaging and my dialer. Tried restoring the ROM and your instructions above 4 times. Same results each time.
HTC One M8 with Viper One ROM (latest version as of 6/13/14). It also makes it so when my phone rings, the dialer doesn't come up; no way to answer an incoming call.
Any ideas?

TrickMasterPC

Apr 29, 2014
I tried this and it broke messaging and my dialer. Tried restoring the ROM and your instructions above 4 times. Same results each time.
HTC One M8 with Viper One ROM (latest version as of 6/13/14). It also makes it so when my phone rings, the dialer doesn't come up; no way to answer an incoming call.
Any ideas?

So far I've only been able to re-install visual voicemail using the Android Revolution HD v5.0 ROM. I tried the v5.5 ROM a while back and had the same issues you mentioned with crashing. I'm downloading the v7 ROM now and will try again.

Skizzy034

Mar 10, 2010
Amsterdam, NY
www.facebook.com
Have you successfully done this?
What version of the Android Revolution HD Rom did you use? The latest version 7?
Did you slip-mod the apks using 7zip on a Windows Machine or a Linux Machine?

Thanks! I want to update the ARHD v7 ROM but I want to be sure I can get visual voicemail working on that ROM.

No but it's the same as if using the method he says in the OP, just easier.

On Windows. Just open the rom you're gonna flash in 7zip, and just drag the apks to either /system/app or /system/priv-app.

jfvick

Dec 20, 2012
Charleston
No but it's the same as if using the method he says in the OP, just easier.

On Windows. Just open the rom you're gonna flash in 7zip, and just drag the apks to either /system/app or /system/priv-app.

Anyone had any luck? I'm on ARHD 8.0, placed the apks in /system/priv-app then flashed the tweaked ROM. I have the updated Messages app (both SMS and Voicemail) but when I scroll over to Voice Mail or try to open the Visual Voicemail app it force closes Messages. I've tried dirty flashing over my previous ARHD 8.0 install and doing a clean install and I get the same problem both times.

Last edited:

TrickMasterPC

Apr 29, 2014
Anyone had any luck? I'm on ARHD 8.0, placed the apks in /system/priv-app then flashed the tweaked ROM. I have the updated Messages app (both SMS and Voicemail) but when I scroll over to Voice Mail or try to open the Visual Voicemail app it force closes Messages. I've tried dirty flashing over my previous ARHD 8.0 install and doing a clean install and I get the same problem both times.

This only works on the ARHD v5 ROM. You can use 7 zip to extract files from the v8 ROM like SuperSu, Xposed, Sense 6 v 1.2.7, flash player etc and place them in the corresponding location within the v5 ROM zip. Additionally place the visual voicemail and corresponding apks in the appropriate folders. When you install it will install everything including visual voicemail. Then download the Harmon Kardon zip and flash that in recovery to update your audio processor firmware and driver.

What would be nice is if Mike1986 released a v8 ATT specific ROM so all us on ATT could continue to enjoy native visual voicemail.
I would donate to support that! A small job for Mike but he could raise money for it.

JTok59

Sep 14, 2013
Chicago
I had the same issue. What I had to do was change the SKU to 7 and the Region to 1 in the ACC\default.xml file. This also enabled the VVM button in the phone app.

However, I now have a problem with retrieving voicemails when connected to a wireless network. If I turn off wireless, everything will work fine. When on wireless, it gives an error about mobile data not being available, but it is most definitely on. It's like the messages/vvm apps aren't being allowed to bypass the wifi to check for data.
In case it matters, I am on a stock international ROM (1.54.401.5), and I also could not get the phone.apk to install using the directions above, so I installed the applications using a flashable zip.

If you guys look at the top section of the quoted post from earlier on this thread, you'll see how to get it to work on Developer and International. You still have to install the AT&T versions of the apps of course, but I can confirm that this worked for me. Still had the wireless issue though.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

jfvick

Dec 20, 2012
Charleston
If you guys look at the top section of the quoted post from earlier on this thread, you'll see how to get it to work on Developer and International. You still have to install the AT&T versions of the apps of course, but I can confirm that this worked for me. Still had the wireless issue though.

Can confirm this worked for me as well now. Thanks for the heads up, saw the wireless issue but missed the force close fix. For me the wireless issue isn't huge.

OGhoul

Apr 17, 2013
Pittsburgh
I attempted the methods above (I'm on ARHD 8.1) and it did not work. When I went to install Phone.apk it told me that the app isn't installed. Also, I'm not S-Off. Firewater said I'd never be able to get it. :(

So I restarted, and used Ti Backup to set all of the apps to user level. Restarted. Reinstalled the new apks. Restarted. Used Ti Backup to set them all to System apps. Restarted.

Now I'm being hit with a barrage of "Unfortunately, Dialer has stopped working" messages, the phone icon is missing from my dock, and the only thing I can do with my phone is hit the Ok on the error message.

Last edited:

Bsmith0731

Jan 15, 2013
I attempted the methods above (I'm on ARHD 8.1) and it did not work. When I went to install Phone.apk it told me that the app isn't installed. Also, I'm not S-Off. Firewater said I'd never be able to get it. :(

So I restarted, and used Ti Backup to set all of the apps to user level. Restarted. Reinstalled the new apks. Restarted. Used Ti Backup to set them all to System apps. Restarted.

Now I'm being hit with a barrage of "Unfortunately, Dialer has stopped working" messages, the phone icon is missing from my dock, and the only thing I can do with my phone is hit the Ok on the error message.

I'm looking to do this also. I'm afraid of this happening, hoping for a better method.

jfvick

Dec 20, 2012
Charleston
I'm looking to do this also. I'm afraid of this happening, hoping for a better method.

I wasn't S-off either. I ran into the same problems with trying to install them directly on the phone (dialer force closing). To me the quickest and simplest way to get it to work was to open the rom in 7Zip or WinRAR, delete the 4 apks you're replacing (phone, contacts, dialer, and messages) and add the 5 htc apks (phone, contacts, dialer, messages, and VVM). Then move the rom onto you phone, install, and use ES File Explorer to change the SKU to 7 and the Region to 1 in the ACC\default.xml file (otherwise VVM force closes). I keep a copy of the apks on my computer now so I can quickly do this to any rom I'm about to flash. Worked for me on ARHD 8.0 and 8.1.

Reactions: OGhoul

OGhoul

Apr 17, 2013
Pittsburgh
I wasn't S-off either. I ran into the same problems with trying to install them directly on the phone (dialer force closing). To me the quickest and simplest way to get it to work was to open the rom in 7Zip or WinRAR, delete the 4 apks you're replacing (phone, contacts, dialer, and messages) and add the 5 htc apks (phone, contacts, dialer, messages, and VVM). Then move the rom onto you phone, install, and use ES File Explorer to change the SKU to 7 and the Region to 1 in the ACC\default.xml file (otherwise VVM force closes). I keep a copy of the apks on my computer now so I can quickly do this to any rom I'm about to flash. Worked for me on ARHD 8.0 and 8.1.

That sounds pretty solid, if new ground for me. At what point do you use ESFE to change the SKU and region?and does this affect anything else? Also, do you use a custom or stock kernel?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Restore Native AT&T Visual Voicemail on any ARHD ROM for the HTC One M8 (only works with AT&T carrier)
    • S-Off is not required (S-Off is only required if you want to update your firmware to the latest version)
    • Phone must obviously be unlocked and rooted
    • I don't recommend using v9.1 ROM, the ElementX kernal will not be updated to support 4.4.3 thus sense 6.0 toolbox homescreen swipe commands and motion gestures will not work. I read that 4.4.4 will be out soon, so no one is really investing time in custom kernals to support sense-based ROMs for 4.4.3. You can still updated your firmware to the latest version and run the 8.1 ROM. I recommend searching for the "no red text" firmware version.
    • Keep in mind that your Voicemails won't download when you're connected to a Wifi Network. If anyone has a fix for this please post and PM me so I can update this thread.

1) Right click "Android_Revolution_HD-One_M8_8.1.zip" and select 7-Zip "Open Archive"
    2) Browse to \Android_Revolution_HD-One_M8_8.1.zip\system\priv-app\
    3) Drop the following stock AT&T APK files

• ATT_VVM3.apk (required)
    • HtcContacts.apk (might not be required)
    • HtcDialer.apk (might not be required)
    • Message.apk (might not be required)
    • Phone.apk (might not be required)
    4) Browse to \Android_Revolution_HD-One_M8_8.1.zip\additions\carriers\att\system\customize\ACC\
    5) Extract the default.xml file to your desktop
    6) Open with Notepad++
    7) Scroll to the bottom
    8) Set Region value to 1 (USA) <item type="integer" name="region">1</item>
    9) Set Product SKU ID to 7 (ATT Model) <item type="integer" name="sku_id">7</item>
    10) Save and drop the default.xml file back in \Android_Revolution_HD-One_M8_8.1.zip\additions\carriers\att\system\customize\ACC\
    11) Browse to \Android_Revolution_HD-One_M8_8.1.zip\system\customize\ACC\
    12) Drop your modified default.xml file here as well \Android_Revolution_HD-One_M8_8.1.zip\system\customize\ACC\
    13) Copy Android_Revolution_HD-One_M8_8.1.zip to your phone and flash away!
    Yeah I've uninstalled the apps with titanium backup and tried the process multiple times on my ATT variant running Viper ROM to no avail.

This works 100% on the Android Revolution HD Rom for the ATT variant. The ARHD ROM is the stock rom modified by mike1986. I'm not sure how the Viper ROM was developed ie from stock ROM or from KitKat baseline ROM.

Unless your married to Viper I would highly recommend checking out the ARHD ROM, you won't be disappointed. It's an incredible ROM.
    Is this the version of the VVM that integrates into the HTC messaging app?

Yes, this is the app that integrates into your native Messages.apk (scroll left to view voicemails, scroll right to view all messages {VM, SMS, MMS}, and right again to view just SMS/MMS).
    I sent them the files,what they do with them is another story....lol

Why don't you show Jan how it's done? :p