Enabling Download Booster [Status Update 5/4]

Search This thread

D33KK

Sep 20, 2009
Anyone have any way to get Download Booster working with 3G?

I don't have 4g in my area :(

skiddingus

Sep 12, 2011
Canton Ohio
I tried the procedure from the OP on my Verizon phone. It worked exactly as described. When I enable download booster the icon appears in the notification bar but it is dim. I tried downloading several large files from several different sources but I could not get the speed boost to engage. If WIFI is enabled, the phone uses WIFI exclusively. The LTE is only used when WIFI is turned off. Nice try though. I'm on Verizon unlimited data so I would love to use the feature if someone can get it enabled.

Last edited:

RevelationOmega

Jan 30, 2014
Florida
I tried the procedure from the OP on my Verizon phone. It worked exactly as described. When I enable download booster the icon appears in the notification bar but it is dim. I tried downloading several large files from several different sources but I could not get the speed boost to engage. If WIFI is enabled, the phone uses WIFI exclusively. The LTE is only used when WIFI is turned off. Nice try though. I'm on Verizon unlimited data so I would love to use the feature if someone can get it enabled.

Trying currently right now to get it working on Sprint variant as we speak, been having progress. I need logs of sommeone who enables it, lets it download, and toggles on/off. Trying to see next steps. After success, I'll get it on all variants.

Reactions: D33KK

hemander

Feb 5, 2014

Galaxy S5 download booster use 4G LTE mobile data only. If you only have 3G, HSPA, or HSPA+ mobile data connections, you cannot use the download booster in Galaxy S5. One reason is that normally the 3G connection tends to be far slower than WiFi, and you will not get much boost by combining these two. Anyway, download booster does not use any 3G connections. You need 4G LTE connection for Galaxy S5 download booster.

---------- Post added at 03:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:29 AM ----------

Is there a way to have download booster turning on while doing a Speedtest?

Yes, it will work.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=51889909&postcount=13

Reactions: dynospectrum

Drixnya

May 1, 2014
I work at a MetroPCS in southern California, and our Samsung Rep was saying that we are the only carrier that is allowing us to use the booster. However I purchased my S5 yesterday and it is grayed out for me as well.

eyecon82

May 30, 2010
I work at a MetroPCS in southern California, and our Samsung Rep was saying that we are the only carrier that is allowing us to use the booster. However I purchased my S5 yesterday and it is grayed out for me as well.

They lied. T mobile is the only one where it works currently

-Sent from Tapatalk

RevelationOmega

Jan 30, 2014
Florida
OP Updated 5/4: I've linked the download booster (aka nwbooster/network booster/smart bonding) to WFC (also called Wificalling). By noticing that smartbonding (under settings.db from SettingsProvider) that Wificalling AND Download Booster both tripped the smart_bonding to become 1 from 0 (showing enabled). I looked again into the Settings.apk decompiled and found that DBooster IS linked to WifiCalling, meaning we get one enabled, we get both. I also know, that under /System/framework that TmoWfcUtils.jar exists which DOES have functioning into why T-mobile has both the Wificalling and Download Booster enabled. I believe this jar has something to do with Dbooster and it being enabled. If you'd like to assist in this project, please PM me.

howipig

Dec 23, 2010
Folks,

Thank you for all the efforts to enable it for some of us. However, for those lucky GS5 owners, I am not sure if we are aware of one of the criteria for Download Booster to work beyond the 30MB download file size...

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7903/samsung-galaxy-s-5-review/8

AnandTech said:
There are other limitations as well. File downloads smaller than 30MB won't trigger download booster. Similarly, if one of the interfaces is substantially faster than the other download booster won't activate either. My home internet connection can regularly pull files down at 50 - 60Mbps, compared to < 10Mbps for T-Mobile LTE. When I was getting ~7Mbps over LTE and 50Mbps over WiFi, download booster automatically turned itself off. If I throttled my home network to 22Mbps however, download booster did its thing and gave me a healthy combined download speed of 30Mbps.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    From what I've seen, download booster was only hidden in settings of S5 from the Consumer. I posted a thread in Sprint S5 talking about how to enable and thought I'd share here as well for general info.

If you'd like to assist in this project, send me a PM. Any and all help appreciated. (need someone who can edit smali as well)

----Enable Download Booster for All variants S5----

1. Download third party launcher

2. Long press homescreen

3. Select shortcuts -> activities

4.Scroll to settings and open

5. Scroll to Download Booster to add to screen

6. Tap new setting icon on homepage

7. Enable and profit

After enabling, you can see download booster in notification bar grayed out until usage. You CAN unistall third party launcher afterwards if you desire since download booster still activated.

Edit 4/16: WIP, still testing to see what may work. Any info towards file on variant where download booster is enabled would be appreciated (ie, extracting file from T mobile version and posting on forum). Will try to work on it. Currently looking into the S4 forums towards the path and edits needed to make it work.

EDIT 4/18: need framework-res.apk and SecSettings.apk from phone variant that has download booster as an option so I can try to port it to our device.

EDIT 4/23: so Ive gathered the T mobile versions of the apks and decompiled. Ive managed to get the download booster in Sprint Variant settings as of now and easy enable from touchwiz (see screenshot). Still working to fully enable.

EDIT 4/26: see post 30 screenshot, need to find this file location.

EDIT 4/26 #2: after help from miked63017 pointing me to a post by eyecon82, along with what I've found from various ROMs and Db files/etc, I have enabled Download Booster in the Notification Panel drop down (see screenshot). Now to get it fully working.

EDIT 4/28: after decompile of SystemUI, NWBooster actually has many places within, mostly smali edits needed to enabled under Network Controller. The Network Booster is actually related (by searching the SQLite Editor->Settings Storage->Settings.db->system->search for "Smart") to Smart Bonding to the Quick Tile for NWBooster. Also, through decompile of the SystemUI, under Network Controller, I noticed a ro.config.combined_signal (still deciding what this actually is based on file).

EDIT 5/4: I've linked the download booster (aka nwbooster/network booster/smart bonding) to WFC (also called Wificalling). By noticing that smartbonding (under settings.db from SettingsProvider) that Wificalling AND Download Booster both tripped the smart_bonding to become 1 from 0 (showing enabled). I looked again into the Settings.apk decompiled and found that DBooster IS linked to WifiCalling, meaning we get one enabled, we get both. I also know, that under /System/framework that TmoWfcUtils.jar exists which DOES have functioning into why T-mobile has both the Wificalling and Download Booster enabled. I believe this jar has something to do with Dbooster and it being enabled. If you'd like to assist in this project, please PM me.
    Unfortunately, that doesn't do anything. Maybe (hopefully) it'll help the process along for a dev to find a way to truly implement the feature, but for right now...that toggle is just for show.
    Download booster is only turned off for AT&T and Verizon customers. Sprint and Tmobile are still allowing it due to truly unlimited plans.

Nuts...since havent posted my requisite 10 posts yet, Google is your friend about why and how you can get Download booster working...

Im sure one of the fine folks here at XDA will have a workaround in a day or two at the most. Just got my S5 today (tmobile) and was looking for a root workaround (Thanks Chainfire!).:)

Sprint doesn't have it even though they have unlimited data

-Sent from Tapatalk
    What for? Just to see the mark go higher? That feature is really useless unless you have an unlimited data plan (or you are rich).

Sprint FTW!!!

Trying currently right now to get it working on Sprint variant as we speak, been having progress. I need logs of sommeone who enables it, lets it download, and toggles on/off. Trying to see next steps. After success, I'll get it on all variants.