[App] Hamster powered timepiece Live Wallpaper

Search This thread

zamolxees

Jun 30, 2008
Bucharest
Due to the complexity of animation, actions of Timester and limitations in the Android OS regarding widgets, a widget version of Timester is not possible at this time. Thank you for not asking for this again.

[update] Timester HD - the new Timester is roaming free on the market. Also www.Timester.info is live and updated.
https://market.android.com/details?id=info.timester.livewallpaper&feature=search_result

I've been looking for a nice clock for my desire ever since the sense clocks got so old for me. The market provides mostly image+clock arms widgets, so I thought of a different kind of a widget:

The main character is a very lazy hamster named Timester. This guy realized that he is somewhat overweight and unfit so he has to run the wheel. The hamster wheel turns as he reluctantly runs, which in turn engages a dynamo and all the other cogs and wheels inside. Every once in a while, Timester gets tired and goes to sleep. So when you unlock your phone you will find him sleeping but quickly getting up and getting exercise. Or he will run so fast that the wheel and hamster will seem one. Or hamster will slow so much that he needs a jolt kindly provided by the machine to resume running.

Blou_Aap was brave enough to step up to the challenge and is committed to building a great live wallpaper. In a few short days he managed to release a pre-alpha version, 0.001.

There are still a lot of features to be added, and optimizations to be implemented so please be patient with us and provide valuable feedback.

Here are some visual helpers:
main_2_by_zamolxe-d325zbj.jpg

and some more:
runham_by_zamolxe-d31yz1i.gif

To download and install: Search the market for "Timester".
Or you can install from desktop go here https://market.android.com/details?id=info.timester.livewallpaper&feature=search_result

Also, check out the new website www.timester.info
We updated it, has some facebook integration so "like" away.

V 1.04
- fixed bug that when Timester was on strike made clicks register as timester settings click.

--------------------------------------------------

V 1 .03
- different app and app name, so it won't show up as an update for the old timester
- more actions
- better optimised code, running smoother
- tablet support (tested on galaxy tab) please report any issues on tab or other tablets
- people with 320x480 screens will see that timester is oversized - don't fret, there are still some adjustments for smaller screens to be done and timester hd will support 320x480 properly

V 0.009
- Fixed bugs for 480x854 screens
- Removed app from app drawer

[and another update]: YOU CAN HELP!
If you'd like to support our app and help us by getting the word out, here's an image you can put in your signature:
sig_by_zamolxe-d323t0i.png

All you have to do is paste this code in your sig editing section of CP:
HTML:
[URL="http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=819988"][IMG]http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/307/8/e/sig_by_zamolxe-d323t0i.png[/IMG][/URL]

Also you can "like" our timester.info page!

Last edited:

Jeshter2000

Aug 24, 2010
Omfg this is soooo nice id like this soooo much. ... Hope someone will help you. .. And id you need a tester. Im youre man...

Sent from my Intergalactic Supah Dupah Spaceship¡¡!!!

zamolxees

Jun 30, 2008
Bucharest
This is an excellent idea! Hope you get it started soon, as for names what about sniffy?

Thank you. Sniffy sounds good, but I think it should say something about him being a hamster or his personality. Unless I'm missing something, sniffy is about him having a fine sense of smell, or a good instinct in finding things.

Any other ideas?

Also, could anyone tell me if this is technically possible? I'm not sure about it because I haven't seen any heavily animated widgets. I wonder if that animation would not eat up the whole CPU.

Jeshter2000

Aug 24, 2010
What about Andy(The Lazy Ass Hamster) Lol

Sent from my Intergalactic Supah Dupah Spaceship¡¡!!!

Last edited:

ii Candor ii

Apr 19, 2008
Reading this has my imagination running.

Some ideas:
You could have several different hamster characters to choose from. One could be lazy like you suggested, one could be a ninja, one could be a personal trainer, the list goes on.
It would be cool if there were different "cut scenes" where the hamster does different things (like you're suggesting). Cut scenes would be based on the character. The lazy hamster (maybe name it Lightning?) would have cut scenes like sleeping, peeing and looking over his shoulder at you, gnawing on one of your app icons, etc. The ninja cut scenes would be like throwing stars at the clock, doing flips, hanging on things, or hiding behind the clock peering at you, etc.
When you talked about waking up the lazy hamster did you consider being able to shake the phone to wake him up?

I have plenty more ideas where those came from. This sounds like a pretty dang funny and fun clock idea. Your art is good too (almost a little too detailed for me actually) -- did you draw the mock-ups?

Would be sweet if a good UI/widget dev would come along and pick this one up. I've been working with a dev on a game, but I don't have coding experience.

kemonozume

Oct 24, 2010
Weingarten
code.google.com
Also, could anyone tell me if this is technically possible? I'm not sure about it because I haven't seen any heavily animated widgets. I wonder if that animation would not eat up the whole CPU.
It should be technically possible since u can use a SurfaceView as a widget
so drawing the Graphics there wouldnt be a problem

it would drain the Batter though, but dont know
u have to redraw the SurfaceView every second (serveral times per secon to maintain 25+ fps)
so the animations wont appear sluggish

I could try to program it, though my Programming Experience is limited ( only worked with 2D once )
could start immediately when i get my phone back (3-4 days)

//edit after seeing the chillin' hamster a idea to safe battery life popped up
u could just redraw the clock every minute? or every 40 seconds
if a minute is about to pass by the hamster starts running to turn the wheels so the new minute Image is shown

Kemo ~

Last edited:

Maverick777

May 16, 2008
//edit after seeing the chillin' hamster a idea to safe battery life popped up
u could just redraw the clock every minute? or every 40 seconds
if a minute is about to pass by the hamster starts running to turn the wheels so the new minute Image is shown

Kemo ~

Wow, that would be so hilarious. Please, awesome coders of XDA. Please make this happen. :D

EDIT: You can even do, 0:00 - 0:30 Chillin'. 0:31:040 Hangin'. 0:41-0:59 Runnin'. So it'll look like the it's getting ready.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Due to the complexity of animation, actions of Timester and limitations in the Android OS regarding widgets, a widget version of Timester is not possible at this time. Thank you for not asking for this again.

[update] Timester HD - the new Timester is roaming free on the market. Also www.Timester.info is live and updated.
    https://market.android.com/details?id=info.timester.livewallpaper&feature=search_result

I've been looking for a nice clock for my desire ever since the sense clocks got so old for me. The market provides mostly image+clock arms widgets, so I thought of a different kind of a widget:

The main character is a very lazy hamster named Timester. This guy realized that he is somewhat overweight and unfit so he has to run the wheel. The hamster wheel turns as he reluctantly runs, which in turn engages a dynamo and all the other cogs and wheels inside. Every once in a while, Timester gets tired and goes to sleep. So when you unlock your phone you will find him sleeping but quickly getting up and getting exercise. Or he will run so fast that the wheel and hamster will seem one. Or hamster will slow so much that he needs a jolt kindly provided by the machine to resume running.

Blou_Aap was brave enough to step up to the challenge and is committed to building a great live wallpaper. In a few short days he managed to release a pre-alpha version, 0.001.

There are still a lot of features to be added, and optimizations to be implemented so please be patient with us and provide valuable feedback.

Here are some visual helpers:
    main_2_by_zamolxe-d325zbj.jpg

and some more:
    runham_by_zamolxe-d31yz1i.gif

To download and install: Search the market for "Timester".
    Or you can install from desktop go here https://market.android.com/details?id=info.timester.livewallpaper&feature=search_result

Also, check out the new website www.timester.info
    We updated it, has some facebook integration so "like" away.

V 1.04
    - fixed bug that when Timester was on strike made clicks register as timester settings click.

V 1 .03
    - different app and app name, so it won't show up as an update for the old timester
    - more actions
    - better optimised code, running smoother
    - tablet support (tested on galaxy tab) please report any issues on tab or other tablets
    - people with 320x480 screens will see that timester is oversized - don't fret, there are still some adjustments for smaller screens to be done and timester hd will support 320x480 properly

V 0.009
    - Fixed bugs for 480x854 screens
    - Removed app from app drawer

[and another update]: YOU CAN HELP!
    If you'd like to support our app and help us by getting the word out, here's an image you can put in your signature:
    sig_by_zamolxe-d323t0i.png

All you have to do is paste this code in your sig editing section of CP:
    HTML:
    [URL="http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=819988"][IMG]http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/307/8/e/sig_by_zamolxe-d323t0i.png[/IMG][/URL]

Also you can "like" our timester.info page!
    how about u make it so we can find it in the f'ing store!!!!!!

Excuse me !!! Watxh youre language man . These people do it for free so come relax let them do there work . If you dont like the speed they work do it yoursekf . Uhhhh you cant . Stfu and wait .

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App
    sounds logical so far ... but... now the great but...

all other livewallpapers have silk and smooth edges even on moving parts of the livewallpaper...

like the normal gras livewp... or the water...

so its not an complaint, see it as an improvement if got this to haven't the sharp edges :D

btw: IT IS! the funniest thing i ever have seen :D

true, true. I understand you're trying to help, so thank you for that.
    I know the graphics can be improved, either by going all vector with the graphics, and/or going 3d. Bear in mind though that this is our first android project so we may have to work a bit harder to find the best solution :D
    Yes, just have some problems with the stupid preview mode and me and zamo were a little bit away on holiday, away from computers etc.
    Don't worry, Timester is still on It's way and soon too ...
    We will however with the new version, upload Timester to additional 3rd party Markets, like
    SlideME, Handango, AndSpot, etc.

Guys stop arguing, there will be a way of accessing the app soon if you read the posts...
    @Timester guys, I'll be donating a small amount next month. :)

Sent from my Voodoo powered Galaxy S.